You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
LunchCutter

Is the key to happiness by quitting the match as soon as you die?

30 comments in this topic

[PT]
Members
967 posts
2,994 battles

WoWS can be one of the most rage inducing games I've ever played. 

Lately I've been finding the best way to play is when I get sunk, I exit the match. Spectating this game can be entertaining but most of the time it's infuriating watching the surviving team members do stupid or pointless stuff. Or worse, been a surviving player and having all the bitter dead players telling you what to do or abusing you for not dying with them.

Just seems so much less annoying to just quit back to the lobby. If my team wins, yay a nice bonus, if we lose  Ah well I don't care what the reasons were.

• Cool 3
  • Haha 1
  • Boring 1

[KERMT]
Members
1,067 posts
14,456 battles
Just now, LunchCutter said:

Lately I've been finding the best way to play is when I get sunk, I exit the match. Spectating this game can be entertaining but most of the time it's infuriating watching the surviving team members do stupid or pointless stuff. Or worse, been a surviving player and having all the bitter dead players telling you what to do or abusing you for not dying with them.

Just seems so much less annoying to just quit back to the lobby. If my team wins, yay a nice bonus, if we lose  Ah well I don't care what the reasons were.

Yes as well as turning off in game chat. 
The pointless chat that goes on can be too much sometimes. 

• Meh 1

[PNP]
Members
493 posts
4,749 battles

I stay around if its a close match. They can be fun to watch sometimes, and the salt isnt always there. It can happen, not all the time though.

[V1LIN]
Supertester, In AlfaTesters
2,375 posts
12,929 battles

Stick around and watch, you might learn something you didn't know.

• Cool 4

[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
13,178 posts

Easiest thing to do is stop sinking. Get into a carrier and fly above it all. Why, even as your ship is being nuked you can launch from the deck and "be in the game" another 2 1/2 minutes. 

Fly the friendly skies. 

:cap_rambo:

• Cool 1
  • Meh 4

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
24,768 posts
20,220 battles

It's less about quitting the match and more about not letting things you have no control over affect you any longer.

• Meh 1

Members
162 posts
10,934 battles

I'm not sure how this game is tied into happiness, I personally use it as a distraction from my sadness, but that doesn't mean it makes me "happy".

Members
696 posts
61 battles

stick around and make helpful contributions in chat until you get chatbanned.

Try to avoid insulting team mates, stay humble and recognize that if others make mistakes, so do you. useful reminders to your team include, time left, especially dangerous enemies, opportunities such as undefended red Caps, afk enemies.

Honest advice and opinions about the individual qualities of your team mates are best avoided, however sincere, because comments such as "noob", "damned idiot", "please uninstall", however appropriate, will not go down well and will backfire.

• Meh 1

Members
3,643 posts
42,248 battles

If you are new to the game, stick around and you learn what to do and what not to do.

But sure wins, maybe go or if you are experienced.

If it looks like a loss and the remainder are not going to heed advice, then go.

Sometimes I get caught up and sometimes I don't. It depends on who is left.

Notorious murderous players of bots I know all too,  well usually have the match in hand. But there are those days when it's not working for you. 

I wouldn't take a loss too seriously, but the experience, definitely learn from that instead.

[ARGSY]
Members
22,219 posts
16,189 battles

Sometimes it's worth staying in. If you've got a good team, you can sometimes help them out by giving advice or calling out enemy ships trying to outflank them (because you no longer have to concentrate on your own ship and can look at the bigger picture). If it's an obvious hopeless cause, I'll quit out and start another battle to save time unless I need the ship I got sunk in for some reason (e.g. directive requirements, or people who are grinding their first 19 point captain). 

Sometimes I'll stay just for the chat, if the conversation has become interesting enough.

Members
1,797 posts
5,635 battles

Would that I had the opportunity to leave more of my matches this weekend. Sadly, I wasn’t sunk often or quickly enough to avoid watching my teams perform at a level I would have found disappointing for Coop bots. That’s my rule though, generally, if I can be civil to the reds and greens, I might stay. Salty means it’s time to head back to port.

[-NOM-]
Members
107 posts
12,453 battles

I tend to stick around and try to pick up pointers from the guys still alive.   But if it makes you happier, leave and go push the battle button again.

[FRR]
Members
820 posts
8 hours ago, LunchCutter said:

Main reason why I cannot recommend this game to my friends who have been asking me if World of Warships is a good game and if I recommend that they play it.

Yes, it is good, from a limited point of view. Graphics, the painstaking attention to ship details, the art work, the soundtrack. 

But that's it.

I cannot and will not recommend they play this game because it can—and will—give them more frustration than fun in the long run.

I've seen random battles where our big lead was thrown away, and it is at the least, frustrating to see all the advantages that were established got reversed.

Latest of which was a player on a Henri IV who just stayed where our CV was—behind an island at the corner of the map. When it was only him and the CV left, he then rushed in to face two (2) Yamatos, probably to launch his torpedoes. The points we lost when he got sunk made the enemy team win.

• Cool 1
  • Meh 1

[NG-NL]
Members
352 posts
10,077 battles
9 hours ago, LunchCutter said:

Lately I've been finding the best way to play is when I get sunk, I exit the match.

This looks like you're asking for better ways to cope with a bad situation.

What about getting out of that situation? Can you stop playing the game?

• Meh 1

[DOG]
Members
1,215 posts
12,618 battles
5 hours ago, Fodder4U said:

^^^This.  Every now and then, you'll see something you might have missed while you're actively playing, and too busy to notice.  Just resist the urge to gripe or kibbitz from the grave.  About the only things I'll type in chat after I'm dead are "I think those torps are going to hit.  Nice shot"  or something to that effect.  Rarely, I'll type something like, "I'm pretty sure that Gearing is circling back to grab C" if it looks like my surviving team members might have missed it.  It risks being granted the Captain Obvious Award, but you never know.  They might not have actually realized it.  And, personally, if I'm still alive and someone has one of those mods that does the victory/loss countdowns, I'll pay attention if I need to grab a cap to keep from losing.  Or, on the other hand, if they say we can afford to let them take all the caps and still win, I'll just go hide.

• Funny 1

[0456]
Members
3,824 posts
10,091 battles
9 hours ago, LunchCutter said:

I remember what feels like a lifetime ago I would rage-horse every time the patch of the player that sunk me flashed up on my screen when I died. I came in here whining about it, most of the forum community told me to grow up and get a clue... and I eventually did- I suggest you do too. 

How do you think other players felt watching you eat the green wiener when you died? Were you doing something "stupid or pointless" every time? 

Point being that not everyone gets sunk doing something stupid or pointless. The people you're watching might be getting sunk because, in their opinion, you threw your ship away and left them out to dry. 

If you're in an event and want to grind out another ship and don't have any vested interest in the outcome of the battle either way then by all means, move it along. 

But if you're going to pretend that leaving the game to shelter yourself from everyone ELSE'S mistakes because THEY'RE all idiots doing stupid and pointless things makes any sense... I think maybe a change of disposition and a short break from the game might be in order.

You need to be honest with yourself about whose stupid and pointless play it is that you're mad about.

[KSC]
Members
2,263 posts
13,901 battles
5 hours ago, Fodder4U said:

b8c4e2b81c1cd46a2afde7851be48b360072f73b9762ad35937c6c06ed3d7f7e.jpg.59ab1f8e3a45c6a48b21db0862997598.jpg

[NSEW]
Members
2,137 posts
11,451 battles
10 hours ago, Salvo_Creative said:

Yes as well as turning off in game chat. 

Is a suggestion.  But don't forget.  If used by other switched on player for tactical info, you're not getting that info real time.

[WOLFG]
Members
31,234 posts
9,589 battles
12 hours ago, Fodder4U said:

Not only that, I find going to free cam, and zooming out and watching that way, is pretty cool.

It's almost identical to watching a skirmish from Pacific Storm.

[WIB]
Alpha Tester
3,978 posts
2,472 battles

The key is to just letting it get to you and realizing that your dead because you ended up making the same kind of mistakes your watching them make, maybe worse.

Seriously, people seem to think they are infallible and everyone else sucks when the truth is you suck just as much as they do. 

[KAPPA]
Members
3,117 posts
8,811 battles

If watching after death bugs you, just assume you dying means the team will lose. See yourself as the hero that fell, and your team winning without you will seem impressive. This will not only make things more interesting to watch, but incentivize you to stop dying as much.