Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
BoS_Mud

Can we please change the ranked system

30 comments in this topic

[MCGA]
Members
101 posts
11,276 battles

It's a real drag to have to stay in match and play 10-15 minutes with the sole intent to save a star when 1-2 players on your team charge and die in the first 3 minutes. Its really a bummer playing a match that is already out of reach just to not lose progress.

• Boring 2

[GGWP]
Members
7,208 posts
16,685 battles

What ships do you find are dying early? I would guess destroyers. I would suggest playing as a destroyer as they are the most influential in any game not including a cv. If you can play better than the average dd player, you will help your team immensely plus you take up a dd slot that might otherwise be taken up by a yoloing potato. 

Edited by Ducky_shot
  • Cool 2

[TBW]
Members
10,730 posts
18,434 battles

I am with ya, hated it since it's inception. It has nothing to do with rank. It's the most unranked rank system, and the only resemblance to the word rank, is how much it stinks. That crap is rank, and it smells like ship.

• Haha 1

[SALVO]
Members
25,806 posts
28,077 battles
5 hours ago, Ducky_shot said:

What ships do you find are dying early? I would guess destroyers. I would suggest playing as a destroyer as they are the most influential in any game not including a cv. If you can play better than the average dd player, you will help your team immensely plus you take up a dd slot that might otherwise be taken up by a yoloing potato. 

Honestly, Ducky, this is a problem in Randoms as well.  I was in a random battle (tier 10) just last night where our team lost its 3 DDs early, and the result was a foregone conclusion.  I was playing my Conqueror, working on the final stage of the UU mission, so I was a bit annoyed that our team was so uncompetitive.  I was left thinking  that this is why I love playing DDs, because then I know that whatever team I'm on will have at least one competent DD to do DD things.  And I feel the same way in Ranked, when I happen to play it. 

Come to think of it, I did play one Ranked battle last night, in my Halland, which we won, and I lead the team in BXP, quite likely because I was doing lots of DD things, i.e. spotting, torping, capping, and I killed both of the enemy DDs too.

• Cool 1
  • Boring 1
  • Meh 1

[-TKS-]
[-TKS-]
Members
1,296 posts
12,702 battles
7 hours ago, BoS_Mud said:

1-2 players on your team charge and die in the first 3 minutes.

this discounts red players making a solid play. Hate sinking 2 players at the beginning of a ranked match.. said no one ever.... 

• Cool 2

[PIG]
[PIG]
Members
1,310 posts
6,371 battles
17 hours ago, BoS_Mud said:

It's a real drag to have to stay in match and play 10-15 minutes with the sole intent to save a star when 1-2 players on your team charge and die in the first 3 minutes. Its really a bummer playing a match that is already out of reach just to not lose progress.

Oink!

No.

Goltz. 

Edited by franz_von_goltz
Oink and Goltz added

[MCGA]
Members
101 posts
11,276 battles
16 hours ago, Ducky_shot said:

It is always a mix of DDs and Cruisers. I cannot change the way somebody else chooses to play as much as I might like to. Nothing I do will change their play.

What can be changed is the system itself to make the game more fun by not punishing everyone for the actions of a few.

Edited by BoS_Mud

[WOLFG]
Members
31,245 posts
9,613 battles
18 hours ago, Ducky_shot said:

Heh, I do that, in Randoms anyway, when I get a string of YOLO DD teammates that contribute to losses. Figure I'll at least give my teams a decent DD player.

Funny thing is, while I won't YOLO, I usually do something else just as  stupid.

Grass is always greener lol....

[NFJF]
Members
700 posts
10,570 battles

There are ups and downs everyday in ranked. I couldn't get out of rank 10 for the last 2 days, but finally broke through tonight and got 5 wins in a row. You just need to have 2-3 ships you are very comfortable with and stick to them. It also helps not to be over ambitious and just try for 1 rank a day, "two at the most," to avoid burnout. 

WorldOfWarships64 2020-09-21 21-37-51-246.jpg

[SCREW]
Members
390 posts
18,144 battles
19 hours ago, Ducky_shot said:

But if you don't play destroyers well, you're just adding to the problem. This isn't a solution. The solution would be more irrevocable ranks. Rank 5 used to be another safe place, idk why they removed it. Additionally, changing the star system would help. Only the lowest player on the losing team should lose their star. Everyone else keeps theirs, and the top player advances.

[IMP]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
350 posts
5,639 battles

It's by far the worst gamemode in the game. First it's just glorified randoms, but in this case everyone is afraid to lose and everyone insults each other as soon as things start to go in the wrong direction. Then we have the fact that you can start at Rank 10 with 1 star, play for 12 hours non stop and end up your session EXACTLY where you started.

It's a grind, but the worst possible grind, the one in which you don't gain any progress if you dont win, it's completely possible to sink in as many games/hours as you want and you get nothing, absolutely nothing. That, to me, is completely insane. It's not made to be fun or engaging, it's made to be frustrating, it's made for players to just spam games hoping for a victory or at the very least save their star, it rewards nothing but full dedication.

Whoever designed it is an evil genius. Well.. it can't be worse than WoT's rankeds though...

[20CM]
Members
284 posts
12 hours ago, Torenico said:

It's by far the worst gamemode in the game. First it's just glorified randoms, but in this case everyone is afraid to lose and everyone insults each other as soon as things start to go in the wrong direction. Then we have the fact that you can start at Rank 10 with 1 star, play for 12 hours non stop and end up your session EXACTLY where you started.

It's a grind, but the worst possible grind, the one in which you don't gain any progress if you dont win, it's completely possible to sink in as many games/hours as you want and you get nothing, absolutely nothing. That, to me, is completely insane. It's not made to be fun or engaging, it's made to be frustrating, it's made for players to just spam games hoping for a victory or at the very least save their star, it rewards nothing but full dedication.

Whoever designed it is an evil genius. Well.. it can't be worse than WoT's rankeds though...

Rank is no problem for me, carry team every match, and no, these are not co-op games. The one defeat we had a player who trolled the team (teamkilled etc.) Can't win every match.

My doctrine is support team no matter what, even if we're losing - and I found out I can win more. I'm not a big fan of "save star" because when a team starts losing most players run off to try to save star

World of Warships 9_21_2020 5_27_18 PM.png

Edited by CHAOS_in_the_N1GHT

[GGWP]
Members
7,208 posts
16,685 battles
16 hours ago, xTrowax said:

But if you don't play destroyers well, you're just adding to the problem. This isn't a solution. The solution would be more irrevocable ranks. Rank 5 used to be another safe place, idk why they removed it. Additionally, changing the star system would help. Only the lowest player on the losing team should lose their star. Everyone else keeps theirs, and the top player advances.

Think of it this way. Ranked isn't about how well you play, it's about how well you can adapt to the enemy team and your team. Players that can adapt well rank out. Players that can't just complain about their teams. 

• Boring 1

Members
1,171 posts
5 hours ago, Ducky_shot said:

Think of it this way. Ranked isn't about how well you play, it's about how well you can adapt to the enemy team and your team. Players that can adapt well rank out. Players that can't just complain about their teams. 

I've ranked out.  It's a grind.  There's a huuuuge amount of luck in terms of matchmaking.

Saving a Star is mathematically the fastest way to rank out.  Facts.  It's not about team play, sorry.

[MCGA]
Members
101 posts
11,276 battles
3 minutes ago, n00bot said:

I've ranked out.  It's a grind.  There's a huuuuge amount of luck in terms of matchmaking.

Saving a Star is mathematically the fastest way to rank out.  Facts.  It's not about team play, sorry.

And this, is the part I find depresssing,....playing for a star.

Members
729 posts
10,104 battles
22 hours ago, xTrowax said:

Adding irrevocable ranks doesn't necessarily solve the problem with ranked (but it depends what you think the problem is). It makes it faster to rank out, but since irrevocable ranks only matter if you lose with 0 stars at that rank and playing badly makes you more likely to lose, adding irrevocable ranks disproportionately benefits worse players.

What I'd want for a change to how ranked works is something that benefits playing well. Star saving already does that, if imperfectly. A few other things that could be done (not all at once):

• Give an extra star to the top player on the winning team. Easy to understand and rewards people that play well.
  • Introduce minimum base xp to gain a star on the winning team and minimum base xp to save a star on a loss, and compensate by making everyone within x% of the top player on the losing team (assuming they're over the minimum) keep their star. Removes losing a star by 1 xp while still rewarding the top of the team, and also makes players far below average (who will eventually demote regardless) lose stars faster which might improve game quality.
  • Do away with star saving entirely, and change the system so that you gain a star on a win, lose a star on a loss, and gain a bonus star for every xxxx cumulative base xp. You get rewarded for playing well, more so since winning gives you higher base xp. Playing badly will still demote you since the stars from base xp won't make up for the stars lost by losing games. Also removes losing a star by 1 xp.
  • Remove stars and use some moving average of base xp, like marks of excellence in tanks. Makes time to rank out significantly less random, since base xp is not as variable as winning or losing a match.

[-TKS-]
[-TKS-]
Members
1,296 posts
12,702 battles
13 hours ago, n00bot said:

Saving a Star is mathematically the fastest way to rank out.  Facts.

actually.. winning a star is mathematically the fastest way to rank out.  Im pretty sure just saving a bunch of stars just places you on a hamster wheel. 

[HINON]
[HINON]
Members
8,419 posts
12,305 battles

how to make Ranked less of a job in 2 easy steps
1.) Get rid of the star system, thats the BIG reason Ranked is such a pain in the [edited]
2.) Replace said star system with a points system like Clan Battles has, except if you lose, you still get points to move up, just not as many as you would if you had won, Top Scorer on the losing team gets the most points, that way, the unicums are still able to blow through the Ranks with their 1337 skills but the average Joe doesnt have to half kill themselves if they want to Rank out

Will WG ever do this? No, why? because itd make people happy and is a good idea

Edited by tcbaker777

[7AES]
Members
2,155 posts
33,303 battles
On 9/21/2020 at 12:47 AM, BoS_Mud said:

They are....watch the video on the website.

Members
0 posts
On 9/21/2020 at 2:04 AM, Ducky_shot said:

Last season, the meta was much better for DDs. The only 12km radar was chapayev which was an otherwise poor choice due to poor armor and its blapability. Baltimore was the major radar threat but with 10 km radar it wasn't so bad.

This season you have petro, moskva, stalin, and nevsky as very strong and popular choices. Add to that DM with its long duration 10km and things get tough for DDs in a hurry.

A good DD player can still sway the match, but you simply cannot play as agressively in DD this season and, as a result, it gets really tricky to save stars. Once I switched from DD to BB, I started saving tons of stars. I don't think I've saved any in DD and I consider myself a DD main. 

All this to say that, while DD is a very important role, you have to be really good at it to do well in DD this season, since so much of advancing in ranked is the ability to save stars.

To the OP: 

I think there should be a better system. My favorite suggestion is that the top 8 scoring ships by XP get a star. This still gives an incentive to win for the 2x xp bonus, but it allows people on the losing team who played well to be rewarded as well. Seems a little more fair to skilled players. 

Edited by mrieder79

[SYN]
[SYN]
Beta Testers
2,341 posts
13,469 battles

The top 7 base XP players among the two teams should be awarded a star while the rest losing one.

Players will still be motivated to win for the boost of base XP. While the ones being carried will lose a star.

[SALVO]
Members
2,662 posts
6,777 battles
On 9/20/2020 at 11:47 PM, BoS_Mud said:

Taking this at face value  what could be done is having a forfit / resign feature as some other competitive games have build in.  Based on a vote that polls say for a 3/4 majority of a team as its not necessarily a great pleasure to have to play a loss to the end. . 

Edited by eviltane

[ENDO]
Members
111 posts

I'm convinced that ranked is simply designed to cause stress anxiety and hatred and to slowly prove to any one with doubt that eugenics is necessary. It seems maximized to cause anger. Stick random people together. If anyone messes up it screws the whole team. Its a giant one step forward two steps back. 

I love arms race. Ranked makes me want kick puppies.

Edited by MBRicochet

Sign in to follow this