Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Legio_X_

I really wish this game had different dev struck animations.

17 comments in this topic

Members
2,440 posts
5,404 battles

I mean if I’m gonna get blown up by some lucky a$$ shot (just salty because it was a good shot and you don’t want to admit it) I want to see some cool animations of my pending doom.

• Cool 2

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
24,768 posts
20,226 battles

I wish this game had dev struck animations. And detonations should be a cataclysmic event, seen and heard half the map away.

• Cool 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Boring 1

[SALVO]
Members
25,804 posts
28,063 battles
1 hour ago, Legio_X_ said:

I mean if I’m gonna get blown up by some lucky a$$ shot (just salty because it was a good shot and you don’t want to admit it) I want to see some cool animations of my pending doom.

1 hour ago, Lert said:

I wish this game had dev struck animations. And detonations should be a cataclysmic event, seen and heard half the map away.

On the flip side, I wish that non-dev strike/detonation sinkings weren't so spectacular.  I get the feeling that more often than not, regular ol' sinkings were rather ho-hum.  The ship's got holes in it and it's just flooding and settling into the ocean, on its way to the bottom.  Making "regular" sinkings rather less spectacular would make dev strikes and detonations more spectacular by default.  That said, it would be nice if detonations, particularly of BBs, were more spectacular.  Flipside, I'm not so sure that DD detonations would be all that much to write home about.

[HINON]
Members
13,814 posts
3 minutes ago, Crucis said:

Here's a DD detonating. The USS Shaw.

uss-shaw.jpg

Edited by RipNuN2

[V_V_V]
Members
839 posts
16,392 battles
1 hour ago, Lert said:

Yamato's should be the biggest in the game, and take any attacking aircraft with it.

Yamato explosion.jpg

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
24,768 posts
20,226 battles
9 minutes ago, RipNuN2 said:

Here's a DD detonating. The USS Shaw.

HMS Barham going up rather spectacularly

[KSC]
Clan Supertest Coordinator
5,286 posts
8,507 battles
1 hour ago, Lert said:

I disagree.  They should be seen and heard in the next map over.  :cap_viking:

[WOLFG]
Members
11,111 posts
10,330 battles
19 minutes ago, yashma said:

I disagree.  They should be seen and heard in the next map over.  :cap_viking:

We can already hear everyone on our map die.  

I don't know what the player reaction would be if you heard a massive explosion (and see a huge flash) before anyone had even spotted each other at the start of the match.

But I kinda want to find out.

[WOLF1]
Members
562 posts
1,525 battles
2 hours ago, Crucis said:

On the flip side, I wish that non-dev strike/detonation sinkings weren't so spectacular.  I get the feeling that more often than not, regular ol' sinkings were rather ho-hum.  The ship's got holes in it and it's just flooding and settling into the ocean, on its way to the bottom.  Making "regular" sinkings rather less spectacular would make dev strikes and detonations more spectacular by default.  That said, it would be nice if detonations, particularly of BBs, were more spectacular.  Flipside, I'm not so sure that DD detonations would be all that much to write home about.

Not really. Even though the ship is sinking and burning, the fires will eventually reach the ammunition/powder rooms and blow the ship up, given the water doesnt flood those compartments first

Edited by Boomer625

Members
4,358 posts
4,615 battles

Since WG likes to turn experiments into temporary game modes, it may make for a fun game mode if we had more dramatic explosions felt across the map.

[PVE]
Members
7,238 posts
23,105 battles
5 hours ago, Crucis said:

The larger BBs we're about 3 football fields long & DDs...while only being around 1 football field long...can still hold plenty of ammo for a pretty spectacular detonation.

Although a barge & not a warship (but loaded w/nothing but ammo so comparison is a bit off) the SS Monte Blanc (aka Halifax explosion WWI) was only 325 feet long (around a football field & about the size of most DDs) & to this day holds the record for man made non nuclear explosion at around 3k tons of TNT equivalent.

[SALVO]
Members
25,804 posts
28,063 battles
1 minute ago, IfYouSeeKhaos said:

The larger BBs we're about 3 football fields long & DDs...while only being around 1 football field long...can still hold plenty of ammo for a pretty spectacular detonation.

Although a barge & not a warship (but loaded w/nothing but ammo so comparison is a bit off) the SS Monte Blanc (aka Halifax explosion WWI) was only 325 feet long (around a football field & about the size of most DDs) & to this day holds the record for man made non nuclear explosion at around 3k tons of TNT equivalent.

It's not so much about the size of the ship, but the size of the magazine, and how much ammo was carried.  And obviously, an ammunition ship exploding would be SPECTACULAR.  There is a reason why Ammo ships didn't travel in close formation with other ships in convoys, after all.

[PVE]
Members
7,238 posts
23,105 battles
3 minutes ago, Crucis said:

It's not so much about the size of the ship, but the size of the magazine, and how much ammo was carried.  And obviously, an ammunition ship exploding would be SPECTACULAR.  There is a reason why Ammo ships didn't travel in close formation with other ships in convoys, after all.

Would be too much to make an "expended ammo" calculation for each ship as it plays to get more accurate results for each ship...maybe do a timed thing where 1st 3 minutes of battle results in more spectacular detonations & later in battle less spectacular to account for depleted ammo catches w/5, 10 & 15 minute increments deciding.

Alpha Tester
1,152 posts
1,306 battles
5 hours ago, Boomer625 said:

Not really. Even though the ship is sinking and burning, the fires will eventually reach the ammunition/powder rooms and blow the ship up, given the water doesnt flood those compartments first

See, what you just said sounds more compelling, although probably more distracting from a gameplay perspective. Instead of the instant detonation it'd be cool to see a ship sink and a couple seconds after death it blows up in different ways.

I'm not sure I remember the rules of mentioning other games so I'll just say there is a space game that has a similar explosion they've added in relatively recently, where the ship will continue flying with mini explosions and then detonate into a much bigger explosion with some rarer larger explosion types. However that is in a game where people largely ignore visuals altogether, in Warships I could imagine it being fairly distracting to have a team mate suddenly undergo a secondary explosion next to you. 

Still, I'd love that.

Edit: Fixed typo

Sign in to follow this