Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Whitebuster

Is the Montana's Unique Upgrade worth using over the Concealment Mod?

Reinforced Emergency Response (UU) or Concealment Mod 1 for Montana?  

21 members have voted

1. 1. Reinforced Emergency Response or Concealment Mod 1 for Montana?

• Reinforced Emergency Response
    • Concealment Mod 1
    • Potatoe

15 comments in this topic

[PYK]
Beta Testers
211 posts
2,445 battles

The Montana's unique/legendary upgrade is Reinforced Emergency Response in slot 5. To use it, the ship must give up its Concealment Mod 1. Do you think it's worth giving up the 10% concealment bonus for more tankiness provided by the UU?

I usually like to play aggressively in my Montana. The only reliable source of stealth for this ship has been island cover in my experience.

image.png.b4a8e0f7f7cd5e382839689aa745a076.png   VS   image.png.8d560343519920decadd9c16225f2864.png

Thanks for your opinions!

Members
171 posts
5,740 battles

I don't have the legendary for the monty, but for closer island based combat the legendary is definitely a good one to have. If anything the rudder shift is great on a BB, the other bonuses are like icing on the cake.

The issue is, the Kremlin, GKF, and Ohio are better for closer island based fighting. They are also easier to get than the monty UU (unless you have the mission to get one and play a lot of monty). So by playing the monty as a closer range Battleship, you are basically playing a gimped version of the GKF/Ohio. :/

• Cool 1

[1984]
Members
4,450 posts
21,484 battles
50 minutes ago, Whitebuster said:

The Montana's unique/legendary upgrade is Reinforced Emergency Response in slot 5. To use it, the ship must give up its Concealment Mod 1. Do you think it's worth giving up the 10% concealment bonus for more tankiness provided by the UU?

I usually like to play aggressively in my Montana. The only reliable source of stealth for this ship has been island cover in my experience.

image.png.b4a8e0f7f7cd5e382839689aa745a076.png   VS   image.png.8d560343519920decadd9c16225f2864.png

Thanks for your opinions!

Read the last phrase under concealment mod, think on it, the answer should be obvious.

• Cool 1

Members
484 posts
209 battles

I forget who said it....  So the below is not mine.

Only take the UU if you expect to div with a CV often, otherwise, the +5% round dispersion from reds is better than all of the above. 

• Cool 1

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
28,711 posts
24,985 battles
1 hour ago, Whitebuster said:

image.png.8d560343519920decadd9c16225f2864.png

How the Montana Legendary used to be:

cU5GcXl.jpg

Even in the old form, it was a dicey at best Legendary.  WG nerfed it, so it's a bad Legendary now.

GG, WG.  GG.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway
  • Cool 3

[WOLFG]
Members
31,238 posts
9,589 battles
6 hours ago, monpetitloup said:

Read the last phrase under concealment mod, think on it, the answer should be obvious.

I dunno, I see the practical effectiveness being tied to the aim of the shooter.

If the player shooting at you is decent, it'll probably save you a hit or two. If the player is not decent, it could easily turn a whiff into a hit or two.

[1984]
Members
4,450 posts
21,484 battles
59 minutes ago, Skpstr said:

I dunno, I see the practical effectiveness being tied to the aim of the shooter.

If the player shooting at you is decent, it'll probably save you a hit or two. If the player is not decent, it could easily turn a whiff into a hit or two.

Have you ever rolled without camo? That will give you an idea of the effectiveness of increasing you opponent’s disperion.

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
28,711 posts
24,985 battles
3 hours ago, monpetitloup said:

Have you ever rolled without camo? That will give you an idea of the effectiveness of increasing you opponent’s disperion.

Everything helps.  Because you know people are using things like ASM1 or APRM2 to improve their dispersion.

On 9/18/2020 at 3:22 PM, HazeGrayUnderway said:

Considering how big Battleship dispersion pattern can be, anything helps. 

Let's say you're a mid tier Cruiser that prefers not to die from an Arizona's AP salvo.

Arizona's dispersion at 16km is 221m (725ft), which for convenience's sake, that's the range AZ is shooting at your Schors.  Camo dispersion penalty worsens that by 8.84m (29ft).

Also, Camo with a dispersion penalty to the attackers of 4% also stacks with ships that have access to Slot 5 with the ever-important CSM1 upgrade.  CSM1 gives a 5% dispersion penalty to the attacker.  Altogether that's a 9% dispersion penalty.

So a Cleveland with a Full Stealth Build (camo + CSM1 are 2 out of 3 parts of it) forces a 9% dispersion penalty against say, that same Arizona.  Instead of Arizona having her normal dispersion of 221m if attacking Cleveland at 16km, AZ's now worsens by 19.89m (65ft), and that 221m dispersion becomes 241m (790ft).

Most especially when one considers that a lot of people equip ASM1 for 7% Dispersion improvement.

Another big consideration are Tier IX-X USN BBs that access APRM2 in Slot 6 which provides 11% Dispersion improvement (No USN BB has access to ASM1 in Slot 3).  When I played High Tier Cruisers, the only thing I hated more than a Yamato player that knew how to aim was Montana.  An AP salvo fired from a 16"/50 x12 armed Montana equipped with APRM2 isn't a pleasant experience.

[BOMBL]
Members
1,203 posts
15,189 battles
5 hours ago, Laser_Beam said:

UU = Useless Upgrade

The Groz is the only one I still use. Henry, dm, and Zao got nerfed into the ground. 

Haru looks like a pretty sweet upgrade but why re-grind when they will just nerf it. 

Nerfing the Monty’s upgrade because it was too popular is dumb. In slot 5 there are very few better choices than concealment. The Henry and Khab have steering 3. The rest of my t8 and above run concealment. The nerfed upgrade isn’t better than concealment now

[HAI]
Members
74 posts
4,538 battles

Yes, it's really good.  Rudder shift helps you keep your broadside safe and dodge torps.  Fire reduction is really nice, stacked with the one in slot 4, basics of survivability commander perk, and flags.  It's incredible how short duration fires are on monty with all of those.

[-GOD-]
[-GOD-]
Members
1,353 posts

IMO no before they nerf'd it it use to allow you to swap dcsm2 for sgm1 which gave it the maneuverability and surviveability , barely, to get into brawling range but the loss of that 5% , 20% and 20% respectively IMO makes the csm1 more viable.     

Sign in to follow this