Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
TheGreatBlasto

Pommern vs Furutaka Horserace

26 comments in this topic

[BROOK]
Banned
2,260 posts

Pomeranian may overtake the Furry Taco as the most likely first kill of every game.  Just stay out of its secondary range.

So glad I waited for the hullabaloo to die down before buying it.  Now l won't even waste coal on it.

:cap_haloween:

• Boring 3

Members
3,887 posts
14,029 battles
5 minutes ago, TheGreatBlasto said:

Pomeranian may overtake the Furry Taco as the most likely first kill of every game.  Just stay out of its secondary range.

So glad I waited for the hullabaloo to die down before buying it.  Now l won't even waste coal on it.

1 minute ago, Midnitewolf said:

Interesting.  Most people seem to have a very positive outlook on this ship.

It requires some level of patience and situational awareness to perform well. The majority of the playerbase barely is capable of this. It's like most of the secondary BBs. 

[TDR]
[TDR]
Members
1,047 posts
11,140 battles

Pom and agir so far are probably both in my top 5 fav new ships to me in 2020. Mad fun

Edited by ditka_Fatdog
  • Thanks 1

[BROOK]
Banned
2,260 posts
29 minutes ago, Midnitewolf said:

Up until a week or two ago, you saw them in every game. Now they are almost as rare as Puerto Ricos.

• Boring 1

[WIB]
Alpha Tester
3,978 posts
2,472 battles
10 minutes ago, TheGreatBlasto said:

Up until a week or two ago, you saw them in every game. Now they are almost as rare as Puerto Ricos.

Not sure what that has to do with anything.  I mean that is the cycle anything new, bright and shinny goes though.  I get a new ship, I play the hell out of it, then get bored and play something else for a while.  Most likely the reason your not seeing that many is the new has worn off.

Look I get it.  German BBs in general have a big, glaring weakness and that is anyone smart enough to fire at their superstructure gets rewarded with hits as big or bigger than Citadel hits.  Combine this with a secondary build and people are going to tend to way overextend, way too early trying to get their secondaries in range and they are going to die.   This is compounded by the horrid dispersion on the main guns.  Sure you got 12 barrels but those shells go all over the place and people seem lucky to land 1-2 shells at anything past 15km sometimes even at shorter distances so every instinct is going to tell someone to charge when playing this ship and that is going to get them killed early.   But I don't think its the ship that is bad.  I am not even going to say the player is bad, rather it is the player mis-playing the ship that causes the issue.

[RLGN]
Members
15,170 posts
26,804 battles
56 minutes ago, TheGreatBlasto said:

Successfully fought @LittleWhiteMouse in her Caesar to a standstill in that last T5 Ranked. (Though I only had a sliver of health left...:cap_viking:)

Don’t consider Furutaka any more or less blap-vulnerable than other T5s.

If anything, I consider Emerald more likely to get ‘Kek’d’ than Furutaka.

• Cool 1

[WIB]
Alpha Tester
3,978 posts
2,472 battles
7 minutes ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

Successfully fought @LittleWhiteMouse in her Caesar to a standstill in that last T5 Ranked. (Though I only had a sliver of health left...:cap_viking:)

Don’t consider Furutaka any more or less blap-vulnerable than other T5s.

If anything, I consider Emerald more likely to get ‘Kek’d’ than Furutaka.

I tend to agree.  The Frutaka was a favorite ship of mine for a long, long time and this was back when it had the awkward 6 single turrets configuration.  I never felt particularly vulnerable in it.  On the other hand, I feel extremely vulnerable in any of my RN CLs.

[O7]
Supertester
345 posts
13,020 battles

Pommern remained popular because she dominated the T9 ranked sprint season. 

After it ended, few players understand how to play her properly so she dropped off in usage. Pommern isn't a bad ship, but many players struggle between being aggressive and being suicidal.

Also, the first kill of the game almost always goes to the DD. Much easier to kill a badly played DD than a badly played BB. 

[RLGN]
Members
15,170 posts
26,804 battles
13 minutes ago, Midnitewolf said:

The Frutaka was a favorite ship of mine for a long, long time and this was back when it had the awkward 6 single turrets configuration.

I liked it because of the six turret config; the weirdness of it made Furu unique; now the top hull is nothing but a T5 Aoba. :Smile_sad:

[CO-OP]
Members
2,313 posts
26,816 battles

53 minutes ago, TheGreatBlasto said:

I would have thought with the 3x first win bonus that people would be double dipping XP bonuses and taking out the Pommern.  

Members
1,797 posts
5,635 battles

Every time I take out a KM BB I’m reminded of how unsatisfying they are to play. Nothing will ever make up for trash guns.

• Cool 1

[A-D-F]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
8,308 posts
12 minutes ago, Mahrs said:

Every time I take out a KM BB I’m reminded of how unsatisfying they are to play. Nothing will ever make up for trash guns.

Get closer.  They are brawlers, at close range, they hit like a truck and can take a hit very well.  Your secondaries are also a nice boost in damage, but you have to get close enough to use them.

Members
1,797 posts
5,635 battles
27 minutes ago, Burnsy said:

Get closer.  They are brawlers, at close range, they hit like a truck and can take a hit very well.  Your secondaries are also a nice boost in damage, but you have to get close enough to use them.

They’re disappointing at any range. The secondaries are a poor consolation prize. That’s simply my opinion. 

• Meh 2

[A-D-F]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
8,308 posts
6 minutes ago, Mahrs said:

They’re disappointing at any range. The secondaries are a poor consolation prize. That’s simply my opinion. 

Roger that.  They are my favorite nation of BBs.  I guess WoWs's variety is good thing, as it offers something appealing to many different preferences.

....Is "WoWs's", correct as a possessive of variety?  I don't even know.

• Cool 1

[FOXEH]
Banned
14,364 posts
20,313 battles
3 hours ago, TheGreatBlasto said:

I like mine .... a lot!

2 hours ago, TheGreatBlasto said:

Everyone is working on the new campaign; give it a month or two and all will be back to normal.

[WPORT]
Members
7,159 posts
12,178 battles
3 hours ago, Midnitewolf said:

Agreed.  I've only encountered the Pommern as an opponent, so far.  And in that category, she's no slouch.

Members
1,797 posts
5,635 battles
10 hours ago, Burnsy said:

Roger that.  They are my favorite nation of BBs.  I guess WoWs's variety is good thing, as it offers something appealing to many different preferences.

....Is "WoWs's", correct as a possessive of variety?  I don't even know.

Variety is certainly the spice of WoWS! A good thing for sure.  I’m not grammar nazi qualified, cannot speak to that. 

The KM were my first BB grind. I got up to NY in the USN, but I was a new player at the time, had no idea what I was doing and wasn’t ready for the pain of the standards. I put those on hold. I did the KM cruiser grind instead, KM BB came out and were much hyped, dove in.

I liked pre-nerf König. We got on well together. I did not like Bayern at all (this was back before their guns got buffed...I’ve heard this is a thing...back when AA still mattered). Having lived in Bayern for ein paar Jahre, das tut mir sehr leid. I liked playing Gneis...ended badly with a terrible WR. I appreciated how easily you could bully other battle ships because torps. Similarly, I fondly remember a double strike against old T9 Balti and Iowa in Scharnhorst (on Estuary). The reload, 3x3, AB-X on Scharnhorst gives it a flexibility the rest of the line doesn’t have. Similarly, Bismarck has been disappointing, Tirpitz has been my performer. However, neither is as good a NC in my hands. 

I’ve been playing FDG lately...the reload can be blisteringly fast, but I can never seem to get the guns to perform. Prime example of recent vintage...I had a Seattle and 10-12 km and fired at least six (6!) full volleys at it while we were dueling over the central cap. I might even have been closer at one point, since there was some secondary action. 19 hits later, I had no cits to show for it, having spent a hilarious amount of time feeding a broadside, nearly stationary cruiser potential damage. We laughed about it in chat, it was that absurd. He’s a KM BB player too, he knows... My team was challenged that match, their CV eventually balanced me. Similar experience going in against a DM (late match, pushing him out of center cap...or not). Theoretical bow over match doesn’t matter if you cannot hit the bow. How close did I get? I rammed him, because he chewed through almost my entire HP pool while taking almost no damage in return and I had no choice at that point. I recently had a match where I Dev Struck an Ibuki in my Missouri...through the bow...from 14 km away. Being unable to even get a decent pen from <6 km in FDG...not inspiring.

Comparatively, I recently acquired Georgia.  The gun performance there is...oh, is that a Moskva 19 km away? Here, have this triple cit. Oh, hello Minotaur, here’s two for you as well. What’s that, you’d like another? Have that as well, you’re welcome. You’re a T10 Yamato clone and you want cits too? Well, if I must...I’m more than willing to work with six guns that actually go where you aim them (see also: I loved Furutaka and Aoba)...do we need to compare the secondaries? 

That’s my experience with them. Sail them around and soak damage in the hopes someone on your team with decent guns will show up and help you out, just don’t count on doing damage on your own...like I said, simply my opinion and undoubtedly influenced heavily by my play style and preferences.  I did enjoy a solid WR in FDG until this week...just a lot of bad luck. It’s not that the ship doesn’t help win matches...but, I certainly haven’t ever felt like it was the gun power doing it.

In fairness to the KM...I should have realized what I was in for at Bayern. This is a trend that plays out elsewhere. I performed as strongly in NM as CO. Flat out better in Fūso than Bayern, Nagato, Colorado, Gneis, Scharnhorst, and Biz... Basically, every time I’ve made a transition to 8 or less guns with middling to bad dispersion, I’ve under performed. Just me as a Captain, I guess. 

Edited by Mahrs

[WOLFG]
Members
31,346 posts
9,637 battles
11 hours ago, Burnsy said:

I've played a few games so far, and I must say, the guns actually surprised me.

They're supposed to be Gneis/Bis guns, but they don't feel like it. They certainly aren't on the level of Georgia or Musashi, but they seem an improvement over the "1 hit per salvo that overpens" that seem plague me with Bismarck and Gneisenau.

Not really any cits, but more bread and butter pens and multiple overpens adding up to 5-digit strikes than I expected.

[BROOK]
Banned
2,260 posts

Some here have mentioned that good strategy can compensate for the Pom's bad guns.  I don't see how. I have sunk about 5 or 6 Poms using HE spammers like the Salem, Munchen, and even the Alsace.  All you have to do is stay out of its secondary bubble. 

The other other night I had fun in my Alsace on Warrior's path.  I spawned at bottom right and started heading towards the C cap. A pom comes around the corner. I slam the breaks on, skid to a stop, and start reversing .  I kept the Pom at about 15 kms and just eat the [edited] out of it. It sank fast.

:cap_viking:

PS primarily play Randoms.

• Cool 1

[UNC]
Members
852 posts
6,196 battles

A well-played Pommern is a nasty opponent.  I still see my fair share of them; had a game last night with 5 of them, including mine.  I did not build mine for secondaries though.  Well... I did initially, but after about 40 games was disappointed in the performance I was getting out of the ship and reconfigured it for survivability with small boosts to the main battery.  Since then my results have been much better both in damage done and damage tanked.  Fun ship.  Like someone else said, you aren't going to hit a lot of citadels (unless you focus cruisers) but will quite often chunk enemy BBs for upwards of 15k in pen damage in good salvos.

[-H-]
Members
210 posts
6,448 battles
16 hours ago, Mahrs said:

pretty much this. I've wanted to like them, but compared to other nations they're woefully lacking.  Now with the upcoming skill set change, the secondary builds are going to get hammered. No reason to be a glutton for punishment and subject oneself to running German bbs at all.

I ran my pommern in ranked which was purposely set for it with forced close range matches rushing the caps. It doesn't work that way in random matches at all.  Pommern in randoms is absolutely brutal with its absolutely horrific sigma and gun dispersion damage output. I averaged more damage in Fat Freddy.

Edited by Concept6

Sign in to follow this