You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
_ENO_

Have you ever...

28 comments in this topic

[0456]
Members
3,824 posts
10,091 battles

... Been scrolling through the forums minding your own business just interacting in various subjects that are of interest to you only to have some rambling, toxic [edited] reach out to you in IM to lecture you about how wrong you are about (name your topic but probably something to do with CVs)? 

And if so, how did you handle it?

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
24,783 posts
20,259 battles
3 minutes ago, _ENO_ said:

... Been scrolling through the forums minding your own business just interacting in various subjects that are of interest to you only to have some rambling, toxic [edited] reach out to you in IM to lecture you about how wrong you are about (name your topic but probably something to do with CVs)?

Yep.

3 minutes ago, _ENO_ said:

Depends on my mood and how smart they are. Sometimes I ignore them, sometimes I poke the hornet's nest because it's funny.

• Cool 1
  • Funny 2

[0456]
Members
3,824 posts
10,091 battles

26 minutes ago, Compassghost said:

Report them, ignore them.

Yeah I mean that makes sense... and I suppose is good advice for the open forums- but when you think you're so incredibly self important as to take your [edited] opinion into a private conversation with someone you've never talked to before to upload all your worldly wisdom onto them in an unsolicited fashion it seems to me another approach is warranted. 

(Edit: Not YOU personally compass... I just mean- the offending person in general)

24 minutes ago, Lert said:

Yep.

Depends on my mood and how smart they are. Sometimes I ignore them, sometimes I poke the hornet's nest because it's funny.

I could see this definitely being entertaining for me... but does it deter the person from doing it again. 

What's the thought on just blasting it right back out into the thread of origin? Is it naming and shaming if a person writes you an IM to shield their [edited] opinion from being dissected and you simply plop it back into the conversation where it belonged? 

Copy / paste... MAYBE delete the name if that's going to trigger everyone that an anonymous pseudonym is attached.

Where do the rules land on that? 

Edited by _ENO_

[SALVO]
Members
5,987 posts
4,946 battles

Nope never, if it ever happens my reaction would depend on the guy message. If it is reasonable and polite I might engage him in an honest discussion, if it comes rude, I'ld just troll him for laughs

• Cool 1

[A-D-F]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
8,306 posts
41 minutes ago, _ENO_ said:

Yeah I mean that makes sense... and I suppose is good advice for the open forums- but when you think you're so incredibly self important as to take your [edited] opinion into a private conversation with someone you've never talked to before to upload all your worldly wisdom onto them in an unsolicited fashion it seems to me another approach is warranted. 

(Edit: Not YOU personally compass... I just mean- the offending person in general)

I could see this definitely being entertaining for me... but does it deter the person from doing it again. 

What's the thought on just blasting it right back out into the thread of origin? Is it naming and shaming if a person writes you an IM to shield their [edited] opinion from being dissected and you simply plop it back into the conversation where it belonged? 

Copy / paste... MAYBE delete the name if that's going to trigger everyone that an anonymous pseudonym is attached.

Where do the rules land on that? 

I don't care enough to do any of that.  You aren't going to "teach someone a lesson" via your keyboard and the internet.

Unless it's someone that I know, I don't bother even reading private messages mostly.  They just sit there unread, forever I guess.

[POP]
Beta Testers
4,735 posts
7,019 battles

no one ever lectured me in the IM,so that means im super smort and im always right.

• Funny 1
  • Haha 1

[DPG]
Members
2,044 posts
10,964 battles

I've never had that happen to me, and I'm kind of sad.  It sounds like quite the opportunity for some fun.

[PQUOD]
[PQUOD]
Members
4,849 posts
17,429 battles

Usually take the high ground.

As mentioned also, usually they are easy to troll

If they take it to private message. The gloves come off.

• Cool 2

[HELLS]
Members
2,753 posts
29,511 battles
2 hours ago, Capt_Ahab1776 said:

Usually take the high ground.

As mentioned also, usually they are easy to troll

If they take it to private message. The gloves come off.

+1. I don't even bother anymore if it isn't about having fun....

[0456]
Members
3,824 posts
10,091 battles

Maybe I'm asking the wrong question- what makes someone feel so self important and righteous as to send an unsolicited IM to berate someone out of their own opinion on any subject in private? 

It's bewildering- 

I mean I get it- I'm an adult and an idiot is an idiot and can be treated as such... but I do wonder if any of you who read this have actually done that to someone and want to explain yourself I'm all eyes. 

I'm dubious anyone would come clean but hey worth a shot. 

[A-D-F]
8,306 posts
1 minute ago, _ENO_ said:

Maybe I'm asking the wrong question- what makes someone feel so self important and righteous as to send an unsolicited IM to berate someone out of their own opinion on any subject in private? 

The internet.

If this is your first time using it, welcome!  There is coffee and doughnuts on Tuesdays.

• Funny 1
  • Haha 1

[0456]
Members
3,824 posts
10,091 battles
3 minutes ago, Burnsy said:

The internet.

It really is just that isn't it... the anonymity... the distance... the lack of any accountability for behavior other than to be reported and maybe have your hand pinched a little in secret because the anonymous person behind the pseudonym would be exposed if the punishment were known... 

Edited by _ENO_

[A-D-F]
8,306 posts
4 minutes ago, _ENO_ said:

It really is just that isn't it... the anonymity... the distance... the lack of any accountability for behavior other than to be reported and maybe have your hand pinched a little in secret because the anonymous person behind the pseudonym would be exposed if the punishment were known... 

Yes, and the more you are "serious" about it, they more you will be trolled.  It's the way humans work.

It's best just to kick back and have some fun.  If someone starts to annoy you, simply ignore them.

[PVE]
Members
7,280 posts
23,158 battles
4 minutes ago, Burnsy said:

Yes, and the more you are "serious" about it, they more you will be trolled.  It's the way humans work.

It's best just to kick back and have some fun.  If someone starts to annoy you, simply ignore them.

But you gotta act serious at 1st to bait them into feeling they are winning...

Trolls just annoy...vampires suck the life out of you...

If you step into my PM uninvited trolling you will learn that when you enter another's PM...you have invited them into yours...

[SALVO]
Members
5,987 posts
4,946 battles
1 hour ago, _ENO_ said:

but I do wonder if any of you who read this have actually done that to someone and want to explain yourself I'm all eyes. 

Oh, I'm guilty of trolling guys who PM with "bad" intent...

But for this other thing you ask...

1 hour ago, _ENO_ said:

what makes someone feel so self important and righteous as to send an unsolicited IM to berate someone out of their own opinion on any subject in private? 

well, I haven't ever done it, but it is a very common occurrence in our societies... sales pitchs, political or religious proselytism, activism of various types, etc. Entitlement and freedom to anonymously criticize without risking anything is the norm of this age and time.

[LANCE]
Members
846 posts
6,307 battles

Like @Burnsy it’s simply the internet or put another way, the anonymity!

I’ve never been PM’d but had a few (in the past) “chats” pop-up in port. It’s all water off a ducks back and usually just makes me laugh as imagine the 12yr old high-pitched temper tantrum being thrown because we lost and it was ALL my fault (or whatever). The “other guy” is probably one that wouldn’t say a word if you went over to them in a pub, peed in his pint, kissed his bird and then dropped a deuce on his lap!

[0456]
Members
3,824 posts
10,091 battles
9 hours ago, Bravo4zero said:

Like @Burnsy it’s simply the internet or put another way, the anonymity!

I’ve never been PM’d but had a few (in the past) “chats” pop-up in port. It’s all water off a ducks back and usually just makes me laugh as imagine the 12yr old high-pitched temper tantrum being thrown because we lost and it was ALL my fault (or whatever). The “other guy” is probably one that wouldn’t say a word if you went over to them in a pub, peed in his pint, kissed his bird and then dropped a deuce on his lap!

Oh yeah I hadn't even thought about the beloved post battle port chat- I find those are a bit more organic and wholesome Thai Bo workouts that are a little easier to engage in since they're usually pretty easy to dismiss and flash over quickly.

"Uninstall noob [edited] [edited] [edited]." 

"But if I uninstall, how will I continue to benefit from your feedback?" 

"Checkmate- eat a bum [edited] [edited]." Silence. Battle. "We meet again..." 

When you open an IM in the forums from a well known forum personality it's a bit different and you have other expectations- It's like opening a birthday present from a new neighbour... You don't have high hopes that it'll be THE thing you want but you're ready to be pleasantly surprised.

Then they lecture you on their exhaustingly lofty opinions on a subject you wrote a line and a half on in a form thread a week earlier and don't care about... there's a much different feel to it. It's off centering... It's like trying to explain how a tornado could run through a trailer park and cough out the space shuttle.

Yet as you guys mention it's "just" another idiot in a different form and can be treated as such.  

Edited by _ENO_

[LANCE]
Members
846 posts
6,307 battles
3 hours ago, _ENO_ said:

Oh yeah I hadn't even thought about the beloved post battle port chat- I find those are a bit more organic and wholesome Thai Bo workouts that are a little easier to engage in since they're usually pretty easy to dismiss and flash over quickly.

"Uninstall noob [edited] [edited] [edited]." 

"But if I uninstall, how will I continue to benefit from your feedback?" 

"Checkmate- eat a bum [edited] [edited]." Silence. Battle. "We meet again..." 

When you open an IM in the forums from a well known forum personality it's a bit different and you have other expectations- It's like opening a birthday present from a new neighbour... You don't have high hopes that it'll be THE thing you want but you're ready to be pleasantly surprised.

Then they lecture you on their exhaustingly lofty opinions on a subject you wrote a line and a half on in a form thread a week earlier and don't care about... there's a much different feel to it. It's off centering... It's like trying to explain how a tornado could run through a trailer park and cough out the space shuttle.

Yet as you guys mention it's "just" another idiot in a different form and can be treated as such.  

None of us are infallible and it’s a shame when someone shows that to be true. Perhaps the poster of the IM had a crappy day and unfortunately the response you posted was the final thing to tip them over. While you posted something that was neither here nor there to you, at that point in their day all the worlds problems became “your fault!!!”. It’s still no excuse but unfortunately happens.

If it bothers you that much you have a couple of options :

• Respond .... will probably just make it worse and doubtful will give you no satisfaction

• Report it if it was particularly vitriolic ... you’ll never know the outcome but you can check it off the “mental” dealt with box

• Write it on a “mental” piece of paper, screw it up and chuck it in the “mental” bin ... dealt with

Don’t let it stop you from posting your thoughts in the forum on whatever topic you want. There’ll always be someone that’ll agree or disagree but hopefully they won’t go the extra mile (an IM) to prove their in fact not infallible

Edited by Bravo4zero
  • Cool 1

[SOV]
Members
5,084 posts
19 hours ago, _ENO_ said:

Its been this way for 2 years now.

Play coop and play less.

[0456]
Members
3,824 posts
10,091 battles
Just now, jags_domain said:

Its been this way for 2 years now.

Play coop and play less.

How does contributing to the forums have anything to do with playing coop? 

[SOV]
Members
5,084 posts
11 hours ago, _ENO_ said:

How does contributing to the forums have anything to do with playing coop? 

It fixes in game chat.  As to forums there is nothing you can do.  Hate just pills over.

[PIG]
[PIG]
Members
1,310 posts
6,385 battles
On 9/19/2020 at 9:41 PM, _ENO_ said:

Oink. What ENO stands for? When thinking what to do, first option, "Do nothing". Best option in this case. You will have more free time read my book, "War is the Art of Killing". Goltz.