You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Whitebuster

Solution to Radar Proliferation

7 comments in this topic

[PYK]
Beta Testers
211 posts
2,445 battles

Many players have complained about the proliferation of radar cruisers with the newly introduced ships. To decrease the amount of radar in a match while allowing players the chance to use it, the radar ability can be temporarily disabled by destroying the radar dome/module on the ship. Radar domes are fragile and can even be destroyed by DDs. This will allow a fighting chance to DDs while increasing realism in this arcade game.

[HINON]
Members
13,846 posts
16 minutes ago, Whitebuster said:

Many players have complained about the proliferation of radar cruisers with the newly introduced ships. To decrease the amount of radar in a match while allowing players the chance to use it, the radar ability can be temporarily disabled by destroying the radar dome/module on the ship. Radar domes are fragile and can even be destroyed by DDs. This will allow a fighting chance to DDs while increasing realism in this arcade game.

So DDs will then also have smoke generators that are able to be incapacitated or damage control as well? How about being able to knock out the engine boost or repair party?

[GPORT]
Members
198 posts
12,112 battles

Why not take out the elevator ...........no elevator , no planes......

Well , somebody else would have said it .

Leave my elevators alone .

[SCREW]
Members
390 posts
18,266 battles

I think every ship should have its own specific strategic weak points. DD smoke generators, cv elevators, fire directors on all ships, radar equipment, etc. Additionally, AP shells/bombs should cause flooding under the right circumstances. 

[SANC]
Members
184 posts
2,965 battles
9 minutes ago, xTrowax said:

I think every ship should have its own specific strategic weak points. DD smoke generators, cv elevators, fire directors on all ships, radar equipment, etc. Additionally, AP shells/bombs should cause flooding under the right circumstances. 

Good thinking Trowax! Make it happen WG!

Members
1,112 posts
4,792 battles

Well, there's a problem with this. First of all, as the others stated, if you are allowed to break radar modules, then you should also be allowed to completely destroy other modules and keep them from functioning, i.e Smoke Generators, Aircraft Elevators, FCS, so on and so forth, which turns the game into a simulator and makes it far too hard for newer players and puts an unacceptable load on the already bogged servers. ( Desync, anyone? )

Second, if you know how to do it, it is comically easy to bait even the Soviet 12km radar. By positioning yourself in a way that you can motor out of range of the radar or put some solid island cover between you and the radar source, you make the enemy waste their radar and effectively blind them to any incoming DD threats for a good 90 seconds or more. 

Point is, you can outplay radar, and if you can't, git gud.

Also, we left the realism behind a loooong time ago.

-Shrayes

[PTSD]
Members
5 posts
8,354 battles

Here are some ways I think radar could be adjusted to answer some of the OP claims.  I’m not saying it’s broken, but offering suggestions for those that are looking.

- radar only fires over the port or starboard side like priority sector aa.

- radar only effective within the Aiming view reticle But with some increased duration 

- Further increase the delay between radaring ship and Rest of team detection or only radaring ship can see 

-significantly increase cool down like spotter plane 
- increase radar duration but it works in sweeps   1 second on  1 second off   Like a radar scope.