You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
freggo

KARMA Factor

30 comments in this topic

[A-O]
Members
1,047 posts
10,612 battles

I am curious as to what the chances are for running a Karma Balance.

Example, I am up to about 10,000 games and have 101 Karma points. So I have about a 1% chance of getting a +1.

How about some of your stats?

P.S. No need to tell me Karma is useless and jada jada jada. I know all that. I just like statistics :-)

Edited by freggo
content correction
  • Boring 1

[WIB]
Alpha Tester
3,978 posts
2,472 battles

Kind of surprised I am in the positive to be honest.  Got downvoted quite a bit while trying to knock out directives...also be playing CVs a fair amount lately.

• Cool 1

[WOLFC]
Members
2,210 posts
10,558 battles

At the time this is being written, I have 193 karma at 9,042 battles. So, by the OP’s metics that puts my chances of +1 at ~2.1%. Although, keep in mind that everyone gets reported (even if they don’t necessarily deserve it, i.e. CV players), so everyone’s chance calculated in this way is actually a little low as a result. Hell, I had a surreal experience this week where a streamer on my team reported me on stream, while I was watching, because I carried our team too hard. :Smile_teethhappy:

My secret: I don’t run my mouth in chat. Salt just makes everyone angry and helps no one.

Edited by Nevermore135

[WOLF5]
Members
1,312 posts
10,151 battles

195...I might have more but I have found that in my best PVE battles when I am the sole human that the bots tend to be very reluctant to reward me...

• Funny 1

[BB-57]
Members
375 posts
14,819 battles

193 out of how many games...

13,413 battles. I try to give every battle... "but"... not all games fit my fluid criteria. If you're a lower tier and are #1...+1. Others depend on the game and my mood. Witty or humorous banter may get +1 in chat. Clan members auto +1.

Edited by DakotaViking
  • Cool 1

[BELCH]
Members
70 posts
33,968 battles

I still give out compliments after battle, but this does not promote further communication, individual chat after battle is rare.

So I learned to compliment other people for good teamwork or good play as soon as possible while the battle is still on. And if you tell them so, you'll probably get a "thank you," positive chat, and maybe a compliment in return.

• Cool 1

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
24,794 posts
20,284 battles
59 minutes ago, freggo said:

I am curious as to what the chances are for running a positive Karma Balance.

It's either 0 karma or positive, since karma doesn't go negative.

As for me, only 366

[META_]
Members
1,660 posts
17,317 battles
1 hour ago, freggo said:

I am curious as to what the chances are for running a positive Karma Balance.

Example, I am up to about 10,000 games and have 101 Karma points. So I have about a 1% chance of getting a +1.

How about some of your stats?

P.S. No need to tell me Karma is useless and jada jada jada. I know all that. I just like statistics :-)

I have 15,000+ games and am always u der 100 karma,lol

[GOB]
Members
2,511 posts

Just for grins I let my Karma get to ten then play a few Randoms with the Smol and it goes back to zero within 5 rounds.

They I go back to playing other ships and doing good stuff and it jumps back to 10.

People are fickle.

Save them with a smoke screen or rescue them from certain death and not even a thank you.

Play a decent game and occasionally you get a Karma bump.

There is a reason why no one take karma seriously.

[A-O]
Members
1,047 posts
10,612 battles
49 minutes ago, DakotaViking said:

193 out of how many games...

13,413 battles. I try to give every battle... "but"... not all games fit my fluid criteria. If you're a lower tier and are #1...+1. Others depend on the game and my mood. Witty or humorous banter may get +1 in chat. Clan members auto +1.

I usually also +1 Low Tier ships that make it into the top 3... like a Graf Spee in a T8 battle.

• Thanks 1

[A-O]
Members
1,047 posts
10,612 battles
14 minutes ago, Col_Nasty said:

Just for grins I let my Karma get to ten then play a few Randoms with the Smol and it goes back to zero within 5 rounds.

LOL... I ran mine a few times for lolz, then built a nice polished Mahagony case for her as a display and conversation piece.

[A-O]
Members
1,047 posts
10,612 battles
37 minutes ago, ElAurens said:

Why does this even matter? 

:cap_hmm:

As I stated... I like stats and math. I know it is useless otherwise (at least for now).

[PVE]
Members
7,308 posts
23,183 battles
2 hours ago, ElAurens said:

Why does this even matter? 

:cap_hmm:

Why ask questions that the answer was clearly given to in the OP?

:cap_yes:

[YARRR]
Members
735 posts
5,955 battles

I will never understand getting wound up over something that has no real meaning or bearing on the game.

Carry on.

[DURPX]
[DURPX]
Members
15 posts
9,150 battles

WG should move to a 'positive only' karma system. I made this suggestion to one of the mods on the Vancouver Canucks forum, and it got implemented. Toxicity went slightly down.

+225 after ~6000 battles.

I very rarely report anyone, and hardly ever for playing poorly. Just the whiners and team-killers and chat spammers.

I almost always run out of +. I compliment low-tier guys who did well (win or lose), outstanding performance, and team-play, roughly in that order. Sometimes I +all the cv's, just on principle. :^) Everybody deserves a smile.

I don''t have the mental CPU cycles to spare to read chat during most parts of a game, so I get to miss a lot of the toxic stuff.

Arrooooo!

EDIT: I see that I have 8000+ battles, now that I look. CPU cycles again?

Edited by TychoDog
goof

Members
5,517 posts
10,682 battles

I am a decent player but not popular so mine is 0.  I somehow lost my only Karma point in Coop - no idea why as we didn't lose. 

[DURPX]
[DURPX]
Members
15 posts
9,150 battles

Saying funny things gets me more + than anything else. Leading the team as low-tier is a good way to get a -.

Harrumph.

[TIMT]
Members
1,134 posts
4,488 battles

119, but hovering around 117-120 for the last month or so.

Interesting observation though, running MM Monitor in ranked I found the only really good indicator which team wins (unless the WR/PR odds are REALLY stacked in one teams favor) is, oddly enough, karma. Not saying why or anything, but I found that if most of my team has 0 karma while there are players on the other side with positive karma we usually lost, and vice versa. Not sure why or just coincidence, but just stuck out to me.

• Thanks 1

[A-O]
Members
1,047 posts
10,612 battles
On 9/19/2020 at 6:38 PM, shinytrashcan said:

119, but hovering around 117-120 for the last month or so.

Interesting observation though, running MM Monitor in ranked I found the only really good indicator which team wins (unless the WR/PR odds are REALLY stacked in one teams favor) is, oddly enough, karma.

Interesting. I did not know that MM Monitor showed the Karma info on players. Is this a new feature? (have not used my copy in month).

[TIMT]
Members
1,134 posts
4,488 battles
1 minute ago, freggo said:

Interesting. I did not know that MM Monitor showed the Karma info on players. Is this a new feature? (have not used my copy in month).

I don't know, might be something in the settings. I just recently started using it for ranked out of curiosity for unrelated reasons, and at some point I noticed it and from then on paid attention to it. My whole observation might therefor be just conformation bias, but it stuck out to me.

• Cool 1