You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
guns_at_last_light

Bump in non-clan player numbers

33 comments in this topic

Members
827 posts

Anyone else notice an uptick in the number of non-clan players in high tiers? I get not wanting to join a clan - though you can be in a one person clan to at least get the resource benefits - but am a little surprised at the volumes. I have a feeling that said players don't live in the Americas, and was wondering if WG had some sort of marketing push to get people to prop up server numbers over here.

• Boring 1

[RKLES]
Members
964 posts

Lately, I noticed quite a few of high tier CV,  non clan  players that are absolutely horrible and are a guaranteed loss to the team.

• Cool 5

Members
827 posts
5 minutes ago, Learux said:

Lately, I noticed quite a few of high tier CV,  non clan  players that are absolutely horrible and are a guaranteed loss to the team.

I was trying to be diplomatic about it, but these players are absolutely trash. I am pretty confident that there is an incentive being offered outside of the NA server to get people to sign up. 

[PQUOD]
[PQUOD]
Members
4,852 posts
17,456 battles

May be people who just choose not to join a clan. That’s their prerogative. Sometimes people prefer sailing solo. They aren’t interested in anything other than just getting on, going pew pew pew and logging off. 

There are benefits to being in a clan. Bonuses and discounts. Easier to make friends, opens the door to clan battles if enough in the clan choose to participate. 

Members
3,664 posts
42,517 battles
33 minutes ago, guns_at_last_light said:

I was trying to be diplomatic about it, but these players are absolutely trash. I am pretty confident that there is an incentive being offered outside of the NA server to get people to sign up. 

To sign up for what? Not being in a clan? Outside of NA?

I am not aware of this uptick.

I thought I was the only NA player that does not use a clan.

What information do you have for this fact?

Please enlighten with a spreadsheet of data.

Because nobody is going to just believe based on hearsay and conjecture. 

Surely someone has the data to support this claim?

How do we know that the players you mentioned are outside of NA? Routers and IP addresses can be rerouted.

Why back in say 2007, a player was well known to run several game instances from their house from 4 laptops. Why? Because they were obsessed with a mmorpg. Thankfully, no one else wasn't and everyone else left. I hear that person is on a Dead server of that dilapidated game. 

Answers. I will wait....

• Cool 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2
  • Boring 1
  • Meh 1

[PVE]
Members
7,309 posts
23,183 battles
1 hour ago, guns_at_last_light said:

I was trying to be diplomatic about it, but these players are absolutely trash.

By "these" players are you referring to:

1 hour ago, Learux said:

high tier CV,  non clan  players 

(As that is what you quoted & responded to when you made that statement)...Or just non clan players in general as your OP implied?

[USCC2]
Members
6,274 posts
2 hours ago, guns_at_last_light said:

Anyone else notice an uptick in the number of non-clan players in high tiers? I get not wanting to join a clan - though you can be in a one person clan to at least get the resource benefits - but am a little surprised at the volumes. I have a feeling that said players don't live in the Americas, and was wondering if WG had some sort of marketing push to get people to prop up server numbers over here.

I have reduced my time playing this game more and more.

Ships I have like the Atlanta have been forsaken by WG, new maps....lol. Operations seemingly forgotten.

It just seems to be a game that has shifted to a true grab for money stance, and it has slowly driven me away.

So I am considering leaving my clan and letting someone else interested in what this game has become join - others may be doing the same?

• Boring 1

[NES]
Members
189 posts
4,112 battles

I'm not really interested in joining a clan and 90% of my games are tier 8-10. I get between 2-5 clan invites a day and just let them expire. 

• Cool 1

Members
4,358 posts
4,615 battles

Rental ships weren't given out so I wouldn't be surprised that this is the new complaint of the ranked season. 

[INTEL]
[INTEL]
Members
7,707 posts
36,265 battles

I have not noticed more non-clan players. I did notice more potatoes at hgher tiers.

This has been going on for quite some time

Potatoes, if they lay enough, and/or pay enough money, will grind up to T8-T10.

Why would they not join a clan, even one that does not care about Clan battles or anything Clan related, but just for the discounts? I don't know.

Unfortunately player quality has gone down. So many around the higher tiers that still do not know positioning, or what your hydro range is before you trigger it, or what to do. SMH

[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
13,185 posts

I looked around Steam yesterday for any new games that might interest me. I got hit up with a 95% discount for WoWS Starter Pack. Tried reaching it to see what was contained but couldn't get it to open. So maybe? Or maybe the latest Trans promoo? 

[WPORT]
Members
7,183 posts
12,195 battles
1 hour ago, alexf24 said:

Why would they not join a clan, even one that does not care about Clan battles or anything Clan related, but just for the discounts? I don't know.

1.  Speaking from personal experience, not everyone knows about the discounts and bonuses that clan members gain for the price of membership.  (I didn't bother to learn about it until I started my own clan.)
2.  Not everyone wants to be someone else's "oil slave".
3.  Not everyone wants to be a part of "clan politics" or to deal with the "drama" in reality or by reputation that clans, in general, have.
4.  Not everyone wants to reward clan recruiters for their annoying and creepy recruiting behavior.  I've had positive encounters with clan recruiters, but sadly most were unwelcome and clumsy and a total turn-off.
5.  Not everyone feels they have the time in their schedule to commit to clan activities.
6.  Not everyone feels the desire to be in a "competitive" clan.
7.  Not everyone feels the desire to apply and have their application judged by their win-rate or some other statistic, instead of their personality and how well they behave in chat or during forum activity.
8.  Sadly, the antics of some clans and clan members have turned-off many people to the very notion of joining someone else's clan.  It is lamentable that words & deeds of a few have made life more difficult for many.

• Cool 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Boring 1

[SALVO]
Members
6,019 posts
4,952 battles
8 hours ago, guns_at_last_light said:

Why do you think they are from "outside"?

Beta Testers
1,662 posts
10,837 battles
9 hours ago, guns_at_last_light said:

I get not wanting to join a clan - though you can be in a one person clan to at least get the resource benefits - but am a little surprised at the volumes

I've never had a clan, although I get a fair number of invites.  I'm not spending money to add a tag to my name. 

Don't need or want resource benefits - I have over a half billion credits, 1.5 mill free exp, about 70k coal...  and no urge to spend them on anything.

Like Somebody said, I want to log in, sink some ships, at my convenience.  I chit chat a bit in port, that's it.  I don't want to be trapped by a conversation or request simply because I share a clan.  I like to play a match, leave my computer, do stuff, come back, play.

[PHD]
Members
1,746 posts
7,138 battles

I noticed more non clan members where I am T5-8 PvE lately.

I was not interested in joining a clan but got a good pitch, just play normally but get a bonus for being a clan member. And the oil I earn goes to port facilities that increases my bonus. Nothing else, works for me. 

Also PvE at about T6 +/- there seems to be a lot of DDs, me included. Like four out of nine.

[UNC]
Members
852 posts
6,196 battles

I am not in a clan currently, though I get plenty of invites.  My interest level and play time is intensely variable when it comes to WoWS, and I have zero interest in clan battles, so there's that.  I was in one of the WOLF clans for a while, but a 4 month hiatus by me ended my tenure there and I just have not bothered trying to find/join another clan.  Someone mentioned starting a clan of one for bonuses... I didn't think you could do that, am I wrong?

[0456]
Members
3,824 posts
10,091 battles
22 minutes ago, Uncle_Lou said:

I am not in a clan currently, though I get plenty of invites.  My interest level and play time is intensely variable when it comes to WoWS, and I have zero interest in clan battles, so there's that.  I was in one of the WOLF clans for a while, but a 4 month hiatus by me ended my tenure there and I just have not bothered trying to find/join another clan.  Someone mentioned starting a clan of one for bonuses... I didn't think you could do that, am I wrong?

You can- but if you're grinding at your own rate building up your oil supply to acquire the port facilities that allow you to implement the discounts takes a metric [edited] ton of playing for a single person. That's the advantage of joining up with the established clans... many, wolf included, are filled with players and have all port facilities already built so you start out ahead of the game. Plus it saves you the initial startup cost of dubloons- can't remember how many... 1500 or something? 

It helps to have 5-10 folks onboard to help you grind out the oil (through their regular playing) if you're thinking of going that route- but generally there are enough clans out there that are very casual that just provide slots for people to play the game at their own rate and benefit from the port facilities. 

Edited by _ENO_

Members
5,517 posts
10,682 battles

I have never been in a clan - I have had get invites but I don't really feel I can meet the expectations of a clan with playing time and clan battles.

[A-I-M]
Members
3,729 posts
23,857 battles
14 hours ago, Taichunger said:

I play every day and haven't noticed anything like that. 

I play every day as well and have recently had the impression that there might be more non-clan players in game. This could just be confirmation bias since I have been paying attention to it.

I have been playing Randoms only, all tiers but in 6-8 a bit more than others.  

Edited by Pugilistic

[0456]
Members
3,824 posts
10,091 battles
4 hours ago, CylonRed said:

I have never been in a clan - I have had get invites but I don't really feel I can meet the expectations of a clan with playing time and clan battles.

There are like a billion clans that have no requirement other than to join, play the game the way you normally do and enjoy the discounts / bonuses while contributing a little oil with each container you make. 

I have no idea why people think being in a clan HAS to mean you need to make this big commitment that changes literally anything. 

For example- our requirement is that you play when you play and don't be a total [edited] canoe. We're really all just enjoying the bonuses... most have never played together though we could if we were online at the same time. 

It's not this big thing anyone makes it out to be... Unless you're competitive then the whole thing changes- but if you're just some rando who would like to play the way you want to play and earn some extra bonuses then there are PLENTY to choose from. 

• Cool 1

Alpha Tester
1,152 posts
1,306 battles

I put in no effort to join a clan, accepted the first invite and was hounded to do naval battles, I did 9/10 of them and was kicked for not doing my naval battles. I called him a goon and ignored the reinvite. 

Now I'll prolly wait and see if another invite comes out of nowhere. Joining random clans can be good fun or really annoying. 

Although, I dont see a reason a logical person wouldn't just join a no requirements clan, I'm just not a logical person. 

[SALVO]
Members
6,019 posts
4,952 battles
42 minutes ago, _ENO_ said:

There are like a billion clans that have no requirement other than to join, play the game the way you normally do and enjoy the discounts / bonuses while contributing a little oil with each container you make. 

I have no idea why people think being in a clan HAS to mean you need to make this big commitment that changes literally anything. 

I spent a long time without a clan and was perfectly happy as it was. The economic bonus are really not that important from my perspective, it helps you shorten something that doesn't really need to be shortened if you really enjoy the game. Also, I took it as an achievement to remain "independent" and it even have some real benefits, you get "potato camo"... if you are clanless, people has less information about you and just asume you are a filthy casual (well, I'm not too far removed from being a filthy casual) and pay you not too much attention, at least at the beginning. The moment I took my Clan tag, the increase in "attention" was dramatic, overnight I started getting focused more frequently. Otoh, the clan invites stopped, which is really good.

If I hadn't sign up with this cool bunch of guys at [SALVO] last CB season, I would still be a proud "independent" operator.