You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
captain_fearless

Which premium ship to get

21 comments in this topic

Members
32 posts
4,434 battles

Hello there Captains

I got a 30 percent coupon for the premium shop and I have a 25 percent coupon for premium ships in the armory, so I decided I wanted to get another premium ship, but I can't decide on which one.

I narrowed it down to these choices:

Hood, Asashio, Atago. and Atlanta. 

Which of these ships did you guys have the most fun in, but also worth using the discount on?

Thank you

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
24,768 posts
20,226 battles
  • Hood is - ... not implemented well.
  • Asashio is a one trick pony. It's a good trick, but still.
  • Atago has always been and still is a solid choice.
  • Atlanta has been hit hard by the IFHE nerfs.

Out of these four, Atago.

• Cool 6
  • Meh 1

[WOLFG]
Members
135 posts
10,542 battles

The Atago is so good I have the regular one and the black one! Seriously, I think it is the best T8 cruiser: speed, stealth, torps, good guns and a heal. The only thing it lacks is radar, but no ship has everything.

• Cool 2

[META_]
Members
1,660 posts
17,317 battles

I have all that you mentioned but it comes down to your style but I feel the Atago is the strongest of the bunch..i have multiple Atago videos in the Japanese cruiser forum section..good luck

Members
132 posts
5,993 battles

One of the few premiums I ever bought for full price was the Massachusetts. Fewer still, its one of the premiums I consider to be worth full price. *Enter Massachusetts*

If u must have a cruiser, I suspect anchorage will still be strong, even after the nerfs in development.

Also Belfast 43 is coming.

Edited by CAPTAIN_JACK_HOLDEN

[GWG]
[GWG]
Supertester
27,460 posts
14,821 battles
1 hour ago, Lert said:

The Hood is great at kiting and the OP has the most matches in BB's.

The Atago is a Swiss Army knife and you cannot really go wrong with her and I agree that it is probably the best choice.

The Atlanta was one of many that now has to make the choice of more damage or more fires instead of both as IFHE was before. I think it is still good in the right hands.

Members
2,357 posts
32,745 battles
5 hours ago, mudcracker said:

Do whatever you can to get Pommern if you like Co-Op grinds for events. It's a literal beast.

Yes.  It's a lot of fun.  And my pick to be removed from sale.  Maybe even before Alaska...

• Cool 1

Members
4,479 posts
19,839 battles

Hood is pretty good but her guns are kinda meh for her tier.

Asashio Doesn't really impress me, primarily because of her limited torpedo usage. (Cant hit other DDs with her torps) 

Atago is one of the oldest prems in game and is still one of the best. A great all around CA. IMHO, she's the best choice of these four.  

Atlanta used to be a fire breathing dragon and AA beast but she's been badly victimized by power creep. Plus she's a hard bote to learn how to play well. She's still fun to play but she's not as awesome as she once was.

[IMP]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
350 posts
5,639 battles

Atago, you never had an easiest choice in your life!

Members
78 posts
3,261 battles

Hood - is fast, has DFAA, which can be annoying to CVs at times, but shell velocity, concealment are not excellent. 

Asashio - is very stealthy and occasionally more terrifying to BBs than Shimakaze, especially in ranked, but gets nearly NO AA firepower.

Atago - is the first premium ship, has good guns with both HE shells and AP shells, decent torps, incredible concealment, but its citadel is extremely vulnerable, overmatched by 406 mm easily.

Atlanta - now is mostly suitable in ranked battles or scenarios. 

To sum up, I'd choose Atago. 

[WOLFC]
Members
3,195 posts

Of your options I agree with many others ... Atago hands down.  I put off getting her for a long time ... till the last Black Friday.  Gorgious & Deadly!

atago.jpg

• Cool 1

[-1]
Members
758 posts
10,602 battles
15 hours ago, Lert said:

Except that Atago is hard to play well so... let's say it's not that straightforward.

[PHD]
Members
1,739 posts
7,125 battles

Of the four Atago. Unless you like DDs, especially IJN torp boats, then Asashio has an appeal. It can be hard to use as the torpedoes only hit BBs and CVs and the very long range can do damage, if you can get hits. But the long range also makes it easy to hit teammates. (seems like they are easier to hit than the red team) But the guns are rather good, if a little slow to reload. But no AA. I like playing it though. It seems to define the real IJN DD of WW2. And when you find yourself in a match with few or no large ships you learn to contribute in different ways.

But the Atago was the first preimun ship I bought. Low detection, good accurate guns, very good torps, it has been around for a long time and power creeped but still good. Just watch showing your broadside, it will hurt.

Also depends on if the IJN has an interest to you.

[WPORT]
Members
7,096 posts
12,080 battles
16 hours ago, captain_fearless said:

Hello there Captains

I got a 30 percent coupon for the premium shop and I have a 25 percent coupon for premium ships in the armory, so I decided I wanted to get another premium ship, but I can't decide on which one.

I narrowed it down to these choices:

Hood, Asashio, Atago. and Atlanta. 

Which of these ships did you guys have the most fun in, but also worth using the discount on?

Thank you

I've got the Takao, which is the Arpeggio of Blue Steel version of Atago.  Good 'Bote.
I've got the Atlanta.  The ship is a fragile short-ranged HE-spamming cruiser.  It's redeeming features are the torpedoes and a nice suite of consumables.  The "Summer Event - Palm Tree Camo" is fun to look at.
I can't speak to the Asashio.  i don't have it.
<edit>  I have the Hood.  I learned to appreciate the ship more after watching some of the @Soshi_Sone's videos of sailing the Hood in to battles.  I've also got the anime Commander Hood.  Pairing the two of them seemed best.  Hood is nice to play and has pleasant handling characteristics.  

I prefer the Takao/Atago's play style more than Atlanta.  Hood is nice to sail, perhaps even therapeutic and relaxing, and does well if I do my part.

Edited by Wolfswetpaws

[WIB]
Alpha Tester
3,978 posts
2,472 battles

Of the 4, Atago, hands down.

The Hood I honestly feel is underrated as I have had good luck with mine and she performs well but I am in the minority opinion on here. Most people downright dislike her so I have to believe that without the ability to test drive her before you buy, chances are likely you will be disappointed and that would make me hesitate to recommend her.

The Atlanta on paper seems like fun but in reality she isn't.  At one time, early on she was great but she is a very fragile cruiser, that has to get into very, very short range to reliable get damage on target.  This is due to the fact the guns have no range to begin with but even if they did, the firing arcs and slow shell travel time makes firing at long range almost useless.  She needs smoke to be honest but she doesn't get smoke so generally just fails.

The Asashio is a IJN Torpedo boat through and through.  The issue with the Asashio in my opinion is that her torps can only engage BBs and CVs.  They are deepwater torps which means they are very stealthy and if they could also hit Cruisers like the Pan-Asian line I would say go for it but since your guns suck and the torps, lets face it are only really going to ever be used against BBs because it is still fairly rare for a DD to get through to the CV, your very limited. 

Now back to the Atago.  It is a solid IJN Cruiser....no more, no less though.  I have had her since before the game released (had one in beta) and was a lot of fun early on however since she is one of the oldest premiums in the game, so has nothing that really stands out about her.   If you are a IJN cruiser main and want/need a trainer/premium ships for credit earnings she is a solid choice, otherwise there are a lot of more interesting premiums in the game for that price or less.