Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
John370

Awful Lighting

22 comments in this topic

[BNRJ]
Members
142 posts
5,741 battles

Just lost a Northern Waters match.  Lighting was so poor that I couldn't tell the bow from the stern on a broadside Lion (had to keep referring to mini-map to determine targets direction). When aiming reticle was on a target I couldn't see the target. Super frustrating trying to aim in these conditions. What is the point of a match under these awful conditions? Rant over.

Members
3,669 posts
42,633 battles
25 minutes ago, John370 said:

Just lost a Northern Waters match.  Lighting was so poor that I couldn't tell the bow from the stern on a broadside Lion (had to keep referring to mini-map to determine targets direction). When aiming reticle was on a target I couldn't see the target. Super frustrating trying to aim in these conditions. What is the point of a match under these awful conditions? Rant over.

A lot of players tend to smoke up on account of the legalized O-regano😏. Just be glad they don't ask if you have any snacks. Baked potatoes tend to forget they are in a match.

I often fumble in the dark on that map and run into the boogie man.

I still refuse to boogie for him. At least that is the story I was told growing up. It seems when I told him I refuse to boogie, he got all mad and stormed off in a puff of smoke...

Oh, that is why you can't see.

It was the boogie man.

If you want him to go away, then just tell him that Chuck Norris is behind him.

Special note: a Lion has a flat derriere. So if you see the pointy bit, then you are in trouble. 

You can smack that derriere with AP and it goes to the bottom.

Sort of a smacked bottom. 

Yeah, Jingles likes to call it a paddlin', but every player will run if I brandish the cricket bat Excaliborg.

• Haha 1

[A-D-F]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
8,336 posts
47 minutes ago, John370 said:

Between all the flak clouds and surface ship player's shells splashing down around the target and kicking up water, I sometimes find it hard to actually see the target and know how to line up for a torp drop or rocket attack.  It's not super often but when things align just right, a CV player can't actually see the target ship, even though it is in open water and spotted, for a few seconds right when they need to.

I figure it's just a touch of realism once in a while and it doesn't bother me much.

• Cool 1

[SALVO]
Members
2,725 posts
6,816 battles

I really have never had a huge issues with being able to see in the game.   I guess the only example I can think of  is that  sometimes its hard to see AP rounds flying out from  your ship on a very bright skybox. 

[SALVO]
Members
25,889 posts
28,263 battles
2 hours ago, John370 said:

I actually enjoy difficult viewing conditions.  Real life isn't full of perfect viewing conditions.  And I'd rather that the game didn't live in a fantasy world where you can always see everything perfectly.

• Thanks 1

[SBS]
Members
6,136 posts
1 hour ago, Burnsy said:

Between all the flak clouds and surface ship player's shells splashing down around the target and kicking up water, I sometimes find it hard to actually see the target and know how to line up for a torp drop or rocket attack.  It's not super often but when things align just right, a CV player can't actually see the target ship, even though it is in open water and spotted, for a few seconds right when they need to.

There is also the massive plume of smoke off ships when they are destroyed.  Generally not a problem until you're trying to shoot the ship behind it and you can't see jack. 

BTW, there is a mod that will remove the shell splashes. 

[SRBL]
Members
534 posts
13,490 battles

LOL. I misread the title as 'Awful Lightning' and was thinking it's actually a pretty good ship. 

• Haha 1

[BNRJ]
Members
142 posts
5,741 battles
1 hour ago, Crucis said:

I actually enjoy difficult viewing conditions.  Real life isn't full of perfect viewing conditions.  And I'd rather that the game didn't live in a fantasy world where you can always see everything perfectly.

I agree re real life, but in a game real life means it's daylight for the players depending on the time zone, so a poorly lit map creates artificial inequalities based on real life ambient light.  If everyone has trouble seeing, that's one thing, but in this case that didn't seem to be true.  If you're lucky to playing in a dark room or on a large screen you'll have an advantage over someone for whom that's not the case. If that's intentional, okay, but otherwise it seems pointless. You can't adjust the lighting settings on your laptop once you've started a game, and find you can't see anything. In real life, arguably German ships had better optics, and should see better in poor light, but the game doesn't reflect that, to use one example - rather it penalizes players based on the ambient light where they are, and their hardware.

[BNRJ]
Members
142 posts
5,741 battles
3 hours ago, eviltane said:

I really have never had a huge issues with being able to see in the game.   I guess the only example I can think of  is that  sometimes its hard to see AP rounds flying out from  your ship on a very bright skybox. 

I play on a laptop, and have had this problem several times.  It's one thing to not see a ship because of cam, but the game today was ridiculous. My mini-map would show a BB at 15km, and it was a real struggle to see it through the aiming reticle.

[WOLFG]
Members
31,420 posts
9,664 battles
4 hours ago, eviltane said:

Same here.

The shell splashes and such obscure things sometimes. I know you can switch back to the old splashes, but I kind of like the challenge lol.

But then again, I've never played this game on a screen less than 37".

Edited by Skpstr

[SALVO]
Members
25,889 posts
28,263 battles
1 hour ago, John370 said:

I agree re real life, but in a game real life means it's daylight for the players depending on the time zone, so a poorly lit map creates artificial inequalities based on real life ambient light.  If everyone has trouble seeing, that's one thing, but in this case that didn't seem to be true.  If you're lucky to playing in a dark room or on a large screen you'll have an advantage over someone for whom that's not the case. If that's intentional, okay, but otherwise it seems pointless. You can't adjust the lighting settings on your laptop once you've started a game, and find you can't see anything. In real life, arguably German ships had better optics, and should see better in poor light, but the game doesn't reflect that, to use one example - rather it penalizes players based on the ambient light where they are, and their hardware.

I guess what it comes down to is that I don't care.  It's boring to play a game where the lighting conditions are perfect all the time.

[BNRJ]
Members
142 posts
5,741 battles
1 hour ago, Crucis said:

I guess what it comes down to is that I don't care.  It's boring to play a game where the lighting conditions are perfect all the time.

And after 25k games in your case I can understand the variety is welcome. I'm nowhere close to that, and I'm certainly not bored in games where I can actually see opposing ships - they're hard enough to hit in daylight. I've played a dozen-odd games today and the only one where I felt I didn't have a fair chance was the poor lighting game - unlike one poster above, I don't have a 37'' screen. Those games are a nightmare if you're on a bog-standard laptop.

[BNRJ]
Members
142 posts
5,741 battles
2 hours ago, Skpstr said:

Same here.

The shell splashes and such obscure things sometimes. I know you can switch back to the old splashes, but I kind of like the challenge lol.

But then again, I've never played this game on a screen less than 37".

Then you have a huge advantage in a low-light game over someone on a laptop. I was literally peering in and out at my screen trying to see where a ship clearly spotted on the mini-map was. I'm not talking about shell splashes, but a BB, sailing in a straight line, exposing its flank at 15 k, and it was near impossible to see against the flat background in the low light.

[SALVO]
Members
25,889 posts
28,263 battles
11 minutes ago, John370 said:

And after 25k games in your case I can understand the variety is welcome. I'm nowhere close to that, and I'm certainly not bored in games where I can actually see opposing ships - they're hard enough to hit in daylight. I've played a dozen-odd games today and the only one where I felt I didn't have a fair chance was the poor lighting game - unlike one poster above, I don't have a 37'' screen. Those games are a nightmare if you're on a bog-standard laptop.

I also have around 33k games in WoT before I started playing WoWS.  And I got bored of perfect lighting well before I ever started playing WoWS.  I also "only" play on a ~22" monitor with a desktop PC.

[TDRB]
Members
5,162 posts
13,743 battles
4 hours ago, Crucis said:

I think DD's should have a neon sign saying "hear I am" unless I'm driving a DD, :Smile_trollface:

Joking aside, I too enjoy the the variation in weather & visibility.

[WOLFG]
Members
31,420 posts
9,664 battles
9 minutes ago, John370 said:

Then you have a huge advantage in a low-light game over someone on a laptop. I was literally peering in and out at my screen trying to see where a ship clearly spotted on the mini-map was. I'm not talking about shell splashes, but a BB, sailing in a straight line, exposing its flank at 15 k, and it was near impossible to see against the flat background in the low light.

Ouch!

I did have issues like that with bright maps, (Strait was the worst) but I installed the fog remover mod, and that made a big difference.

[SALVO]
Members
25,889 posts
28,263 battles
12 minutes ago, Skpstr said:

Ouch!

I did have issues like that with bright maps, (Strait was the worst) but I installed the fog remover mod, and that made a big difference.

Yeah, I don't like overly bright maps too.  It's not that there should be no maps with clear skies and good visibility, but sometimes it's just too bright.

I will say that I refuse to use the fog remover mod, because it feels like cheating to me.  But it would never have occurred to me that the fog remover mod would help with overly bright maps.

[SALVO]
Members
25,889 posts
28,263 battles
18 minutes ago, kgh52 said:

I think DD's should have a neon sign saying "hear I am" unless I'm driving a DD, :Smile_trollface:

Joking aside, I too enjoy the the variation in weather & visibility.

kgh, I really enjoyed the original version of typhoons when you quite literally couldn't see a damned thing beyond the max detection range.  You couldn't see islands or any land.  And ships at the edge of the detection range would start to blend into the "fog", rather than be perfectly visible one moment and then disappear the next.  It was great that the ships blended into the fog.  Furthermore, it was also great how your choice of camo would affect how visible your ship was in the fog.  I don't mean stat-wise.  I mean that bright camos were easier to see through the fog at the edge of detection than camos that were more grayish or dull in color.  It was amusing that a Fujin with its orange-y camo would stand out, while ships with grayish camos would bland into the fog far more effectively.

I really wish that they'd bring back the original foggy typhoon visual effect.  It stinks that typhoons have next to zero visual effects now.  You can see everything in the distance, but ships magically disappear at 8 km.    The original typhoons were FAR more enjoyable.

• Thanks 1

[WOLFG]
Members
31,420 posts
9,664 battles
27 minutes ago, Crucis said:

Yeah, I don't like overly bright maps too.  It's not that there should be no maps with clear skies and good visibility, but sometimes it's just too bright.

I will say that I refuse to use the fog remover mod, because it feels like cheating to me.  But it would never have occurred to me that the fog remover mod would help with overly bright maps.

I was hesitant about it too, for that reason. (same reason I didn't revert to old shell splashes)

But it really doesn't do anything drastic, just improves the contrast.

[WOLFG]
Members
31,420 posts
9,664 battles
22 minutes ago, Crucis said:

kgh, I really enjoyed the original version of typhoons when you quite literally couldn't see a damned thing beyond the max detection range.  You couldn't see islands or any land.  And ships at the edge of the detection range would start to blend into the "fog", rather than be perfectly visible one moment and then disappear the next.  It was great that the ships blended into the fog.  Furthermore, it was also great how your choice of camo would affect how visible your ship was in the fog.  I don't mean stat-wise.  I mean that bright camos were easier to see through the fog at the edge of detection than camos that were more grayish or dull in color.  It was amusing that a Fujin with its orange-y camo would stand out, while ships with grayish camos would bland into the fog far more effectively.

I really wish that they'd bring back the original foggy typhoon visual effect.  It stinks that typhoons have next to zero visual effects now.  You can see everything in the distance, but ships magically disappear at 8 km.    The original typhoons were FAR more enjoyable.

That raises a question I just recalled I had.

What's the deal with the storm fronts? Are they like a big smoke cloud? I'm not exactly sure how they work.

[WOLF9]
Wiki Lead
15,237 posts
4,766 battles
8 hours ago, John370 said:

Everyone plays under the same conditions.  Just needed to get closer. <g>

[TDRB]
Members
5,162 posts
13,743 battles
3 hours ago, Crucis said:

yes, I liked the visibility reduced by the storms too. Yes, it does STINK!!! that WG removed that aspect of the battle.

Sign in to follow this