You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Usedcarjock

München, Mainz or Cossack

39 comments in this topic

Members
1,268 posts
9,946 battles

I was gifted a 30% off coupon for use in the premium shop the other day, and I’m interested in the above three ships. I play both RN DDs and KMS cruisers regularly. I know Mainz and Cossack are both highly regarded tier VIII premiums. If you had the choice what would you pick?

Members
1,072 posts
14,590 battles
4 minutes ago, Usedcarjock said:

I was gifted a 30% off coupon for use in the premium shop the other day, and I’m interested in the above three ships. I play both RN DDs and KMS cruisers regularly. I know Mainz and Cossack are both highly regarded tier VIII premiums. If you had the choice what would you pick?

Mainz

• Cool 1

Members
1,268 posts
9,946 battles
10 minutes ago, Salvo_Creative said:

Mainz

What’s your reasoning for that choice? I should also clarify I already have Prinz Eugen.

Edited by Usedcarjock

Members
4,358 posts
4,615 battles

Hipper hull with light cruiser guns. Built in IFHE. Rivals Cleveland in damage with powerful AP. Good hydro. Mainz would be my first pick. Just more of a unique flavor compared to the others. 

Cossack is good. If you've played Lightning, its the same thing but with less torpedoes and an extra gun. But if I remember right, the torpedoes reload faster.

I don't know much about Muchen other than she's pretty much Nurnberg at T7 that goes 37knots and has absurd firing range out the box. Ideally my last vote, but I won't stop you from buying her if you wanted a T7 Nurnberg. At least she looks good and gets better matchmaking. 

Members
1,268 posts
9,946 battles
2 minutes ago, Yoshiblue said:

Hipper hull with light cruiser guns. Built in IFHE. Rivals Cleveland in damage with powerful AP. Good hydro. Mainz would be my first pick. Just more of a unique flavor compared to the others. 

Cossack is good. If you've played Lightning, its the same thing but with less torpedoes and an extra gun. But if I remember right, the torpedoes reload faster.

I don't know much about Muchen other than she's pretty much Nurnberg at T7 that goes 37knots and has absurd firing range out the box. Ideally my last vote, but I won't stop you from buying her if you wanted a T7 Nurnberg. At least she looks good and gets better matchmaking. 

Would it make a difference if I said that I have Prinz Eugen as a Tier VIII premium cruiser already?

Members
4,358 posts
4,615 battles

Not really, it would make a difference if you said you owned Montpelier though. Because the way you'll approach your enemy may or will be completely different then if you had 203s to shoot with. Mainz also lacks a heal, like Cleveland/Montpelier. So you would have to play just as carefully. 

[KWF]
Members
5,279 posts
6,659 battles

Cossack provided there is no CV around is one of the best DD hunters, gets possibly top marks for agility since it keeps RN DD acceleration and turning with Engine Boost on top. Not only that, but the quick reload on the torp launcher makes up for the lack of one more. 

As for Mainz, can't really say much other than it's pretty dependable and has the added benefit of being able to use your Prinz Eugen commander without a need for IFHE.

Bottom line, Mainz is a safer choice, but Cossack is potentially more fun. Getting the latter for 1$ was probably the best possible buy.

• Cool 2

Members
1,268 posts
9,946 battles
10 minutes ago, warheart1992 said:

Cossack provided there is no CV around is one of the best DD hunters, gets possibly top marks for agility since it keeps RN DD acceleration and turning with Engine Boost on top. Not only that, but the quick reload on the torp launcher makes up for the lack of one more. 

As for Mainz, can't really say much other than it's pretty dependable and has the added benefit of being able to use your Prinz Eugen commander without a need for IFHE.

Bottom line, Mainz is a safer choice, but Cossack is potentially more fun. Getting the latter for 1$ was probably the best possible buy.

Yeah I missed out on the event when it happened unfortunately. I’ll probably eventually end up getting Cossack or Mainz, this is also a case of I have a 30% discount so which should I go for?

Members
4,358 posts
4,615 battles

Well, if you have prime with amazon and twitch you can try Cossack for 3 days. I'm not sure how long that coupon will last though. My vote is on Mainz though. 

[0456]
Members
3,824 posts
10,091 battles

I can’t speak for the cruisers which makes me of little use but I really enjoyed Cossack. In this carrier meta I’m not pulling out dds nearly as much as I used to- 

As much fun as I’ve had with Cossack I’d be disinclined to recommend it if either of the two cruisers were even remotely interesting to you.  

[ARGSY]
Members
22,452 posts
16,322 battles

Leave Munchen alone. The decision is between Cossack and Mainz. 

If you're the sort who says "F*** the CV haters AND the CV drivers, I love to play destroyers all day every day!", Cossack. Her big downside is that with only one launcher she doesn't have enough torpedo alpha to one-shot many of the BBs she meets, but she does have single-fire torps whose reload can be driven down to under a minute, and can stack DOT well. Unlike Lightning, however, the aft turrets don't turn through a full circle.

If you love raining fire down on the heads of your enemies from a distance, Mainz. Mainz is the German Cleveland, with torpedoes instead of Radar.

• Cool 1

Members
1,268 posts
9,946 battles

...in the time I was tabbed out my activated coupon disappeared. I still had 2 days on it. I was going to go for Mainz and I applied the coupon, tabbed out, tabbed back in, I was back on the choose a ship screen and my coupon was gone.

Edited by Usedcarjock
  • Sad 1

[KWF]
Members
5,279 posts
6,659 battles
9 minutes ago, Usedcarjock said:

...in the time I was tabbed out my activated coupon disappeared. I still had 2 days on it. I was going to go for Mainz and I applied the coupon, tabbed out, tabbed back in, I was back on the choose a ship screen and my coupon was gone.

It's a sign Cossack was the way :cap_book:.

Send a ticket to support asap.

Members
1,268 posts
9,946 battles
8 minutes ago, warheart1992 said:

It's a sign Cossack was the way :cap_book:.

Send a ticket to support asap.

I checked the support section and apparently upon an unsuccessful transaction it disappears for about an hour and come back. So might be alright.

• Cool 1

Members
1,268 posts
9,946 battles

Update: My coupon is back, but now that Mouse released her review of München I’m even more indecisive on what to choose. At this point I’ll limit it to either Mainz or München.

[-TRM-]
[-TRM-]
Members
1,814 posts

Either ship can be deleted by half the ships in the game in one go.

You will not be able to delete anything really big with the Cossack.

The coupon is a gimmie to generate a dollar from your wallet. Save your money. Its basic marketing. Dangle something neat in front of someone who is wanting to spend something and bingo.

Edited by xHeavy
  • Boring 1

Members
1,268 posts
9,946 battles
35 minutes ago, xHeavy said:

Either ship can be deleted by half the ships in the game in one go.

You will not be able to delete anything really big with the Cossack.

The coupon is a gimmie to generate a dollar from your wallet. Save your money. Its basic marketing. Dangle something neat in front of someone who is wanting to spend something and bingo.

Except I’ve wanted to get these ships, especially Mainz and Cossack. I appreciate the suggestion but I can tell there’s quite a bit of disdain behind it.

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Banned
16,985 posts

Munchen should be disregarded, based on its hull. 

Mainz doesn't quite have a Hipper/PE hull, due to the artificial hull distinctions implemented by WG, but it still has a very tough hull for a "light cruiser".  Good guns. 

Cossack is still the best $1 that I ever spent on WOWS. 

How long does your coupon last?  You might want to hold off until the skill rebork changes are finalized, it might be pointless to invest in most of the cruisers if the rebork goes live looking like it does now. 

Edited by KilljoyCutter

Members
1,268 posts
9,946 battles
1 minute ago, KilljoyCutter said:

Munchen should be disregarded, based on its hull. 

Mainz doesn't quite have a Hipper/PE hull, due to the artificial hull distinctions implemented by WG, but it still has a very tough hull for a "light cruiser".  Good guns. 

Cossack is still the best $1 that I ever spent on WOWS. 

How long does your coupon last?  You might want to hold off until the skill rebork changes are finalized, it might be pointless to invest in most of the cruisers if the rebork goes live looking like it does now. 

Day left on it so couldn’t really sit. Settled on Mainz. Will probably get Cossack next time doubloon coupon comes around.

[SIDE]
Members
4,939 posts

I wouldn't let carriers sway my vote at all. Most of them are driven so poorly.

Cossak gets my vote of those three. No doubt. See my bottom line at bottom before you buy. I don't have one but I've been torn up by them on many occasions. There are also a lot of horrible destroyer drivers that are just food for Cossack. This thing is an animal.

I have Mainz. Meh.

My experience: They say it's a Hipper (I love Hipper) hull but it sure feels squishier.

The guns perform well but they don't hit hard. The trajectories and ROF are good for long range and also make quick work of DD up close. The shells don't lob so you can't abuse cover like the Cleveland.

It's not terribly agile. For an open water boat that's not a good thing.

It's concealment isn't awesome. For an open water boat that's not good. At least it has some range.

No heal. This is a deal breaker knowing what I know now.

For real world cash I'd get Prinz Eugen with guns that hit and a heal before MAINZ.

Bottom line - Cossack or Pommern or Asashio or save your money.

[PSA]
Members
5,113 posts
3,732 battles

Do you prefer cruisers or DDs? Mainz is quite good. Cossack is, tier for tier, one of the best DDs in the game.