You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
YoloBadgerDontCare

WG's reason for nerfing the Speed Boost upgrade module (Again)

49 comments in this topic

Members
22 posts
1,084 battles

A couple three months ago the Speed Boost upgrade module was decreased from 50% to 40%.  At the time, I wondered why since the main users of this module are DDs, and DDs right now, if anything, could actually use little help.  The majority of games now have CVs in them and long range radars are multiplying like rabbits, I was totally baffled.  However, it was only 10% so I moved on and quit trying to worry about it.

BUT, now in the dev notes for 9.9, it is getting yet another 10% nerf to 30%, and this is affecting potentially multiple modules for multiples ships.  I think WG owes many of us an explanation of the reason or rationale for this.  I mean DD population seems to be falling as 1 or even zero DD games are becoming quite common.  I used to play 40% of my games in DDs, but since the environment for DDs is getting so hostile, I find myself playing them less.  It seems like others agree with me.

So WG, what gives?

@Hapa_Fodder maybe you can shed some light on this

• Cool 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
  • Boring 1

[KRAK]
Members
3,718 posts
21,738 battles
41 minutes ago, YoloBadgerDontCare said:

I mean DD population seems to be falling as 1 or even zero DD games are becoming quite common.

There seems to be a huge increase in DD play lately. Most games have anywhere from 6 to 10 DD in T10.

• Funny 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 3
  • Meh 2

[_RNG_]
Supertester
3,190 posts
5,624 battles

Of course all speculation, but I would guess they are done like legendary mods. WG pulls numbers and sees more people are using the engine boost mod than they intended. They nerfed it and apparently didn't get the change in popularity they wanted

Just a guess tho. Who knows for certain. I was also saddened to see the change:Smile_sad:

[-ARP-]
[-ARP-]
Members
1,288 posts
19,931 battles

It's because they want to nerf it so people have to spec into the new skills to get that 10% back. If they keep it at 40%, then it goes back to 50% with the captain skill. If you take the battleship consumable skill, then you'd have 60% consumable... 

They are nerfing everything to the ground, because skilled play can't be allowed, and the less tools good players have, the better to them. They want the game to cater to the idiot, not the genius.

• Cool 9
  • Thanks 5
  • Haha 1

[SALVO]
Members
2,681 posts
6,790 battles
1 hour ago, YoloBadgerDontCare said:

A couple three months ago the Speed Boost upgrade module was decreased from 50% to 40%.  At the time, I wondered why since the main users of this module are DDs, and DDs right now, if anything, could actually use little help.  The majority of games now have CVs in them and long range radars are multiplying like rabbits, I was totally baffled.  However, it was only 10% so I moved on and quit trying to worry about it.

BUT, now in the dev notes for 9.9, it is getting yet another 10% nerf to 30%, and this is affecting potentially multiple modules for multiples ships.  I think WG owes many of us an explanation of the reason or rationale for this.  I mean DD population seems to be falling as 1 or even zero DD games are becoming quite common.  I used to play 40% of my games in DDs, but since the environment for DDs is getting so hostile, I find myself playing them less.  It seems like others agree with me.

So WG, what gives?

I can’t find where in the developer bulletin for 9.9 this is mentioned. 

[KIA-C]
Members
3,579 posts
15,788 battles

Well on a bright side, this is still in testing. 

Hopefully it won't pass the test. I honestly don't think the module needs a nerf, nor most of the ship running this module.

[POP]
Beta Testers
4,735 posts
7,019 battles

someone at WG HQ tried  to hit a mogador or kleber with his russian bias ship and didnt land a single hit.

furious with such insult to the great motherland,he vowed to nerf that module booster.

• Cool 1
  • Funny 3
  • Haha 5

[LANCE]
Members
846 posts
6,307 battles

Can you provide a link to the proposed nerf to speedboost please? I don’t see it in the change log on the 9.9 PTS post.

If true I’m having a hard time understanding why! Some cruisers with the Sierra Mike signal can now reach just over 37 knots! It’s hard enough to disengage if you happen to fall into a unspotted radar cruisers range so nerfing the speedboost will make it even more difficult!

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Banned
16,985 posts
1 hour ago, Cit_the_bed said:

It's because they want to nerf it so people have to spec into the new skills to get that 10% back. If they keep it at 40%, then it goes back to 50% with the captain skill. If you take the battleship consumable skill, then you'd have 60% consumable... 

They are nerfing everything to the ground, because skilled play can't be allowed, and the less tools good players have, the better to them. They want the game to cater to the idiot, not the genius.

Starting to seem that way, sadly.

[WOLF9]
Members
4,671 posts

The DD players haven't disappeared- they all migrated to Co-op.   Likely related to CV's, Radar, and the machine guns CL's WG was throwing around like candy for awhile.   We're overrun with them!  4/9 ships in DD's per match is normal.

What'll you trade us for some of them?

• Cool 1

[HTDGS]
Members
464 posts
10,882 battles
58 minutes ago, KilljoyCutter said:

Starting to seem that way, sadly.

Yep, don't want to hurt all those potatoes feelings by making them have to think.

[KRAK]
Members
3,718 posts
21,738 battles
26 minutes ago, Captain_Rawhide said:

My gawd….I don't think my HENRI IV can bend over any further.

Then the beatings will continue until the bending improves comrade.

• Funny 1

[SNGNS]
Members
588 posts
6,853 battles
4 minutes ago, xHeavy said:

I cannot wait to see say a 40+ knot USA Ohio BB...

...but ohio is already in game? and georgia makes 40 knots? like what are you talking about?

[HAI]
Members
74 posts
4,538 battles
18 hours ago, YoloBadgerDontCare said:

So WG, what gives?

It's kind of silly.  I've only ever bought this upgrade once for my Le Terrible. Generally these upgrades just aren't worth the coal anyway, especially now that everybody has free premium consumables all the time. 

[ANKER]
Members
1,410 posts
11,432 battles
9 hours ago, BarnacleCollector said:

It's the 3 minute speed boost of French destroyers that should be nerfed to 2 minutes, not the modification.

Considering the French DDs give up smoke and decent concealment, I think the extra boost is a fair trade off.

I put this mod on all my run and gun DDs like Udaloi, Trashcan, and Groz but others like Martel too....  Now 39 knot Georgia with a 4 min boost is maybe a bit much.

[NSEW]
Members
2,147 posts
11,515 battles
14 hours ago, Fletcher7_1944 said:

The DD players haven't disappeared- they all migrated to Co-op

Lies! I have migrated to RU powah.

[NSEW]
Members
2,147 posts
11,515 battles
9 hours ago, BarnacleCollector said:

It's the 3 minute speed boost of French destroyers that should be nerfed to 2 minutes, not the modification.

That and #MakeHenryGreatAgain

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Banned
16,985 posts

I have I think maybe one of these special upgrades installed on my ships. 

They're just not worth the tradeoffs, and obviously they're not worth spending Coal on when they can be nerfed or changed at any time. 

[-TKS-]
Members
271 posts
9,087 battles

DDs really do seem to continually get the short stick from WG, DDs are "supposed" to be the fast stealthy light armoured ships in the game. Which is mostly true , except, for the fast and stealthy aspects. Most dds cannot SIMPLY run away from ships as they are JUST as fast or SLOWER than ships that are SUPPOSED to be larger and thus slower than them. The prevalence of faster and faster ships, with more and more radar, and the strength of cvs has made the hardest to play class even harder to play.

I really do feel the power creep is real.

• Cool 1