You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Soshi_Sone

It's bad enough when CV spots you in a DD...

178 comments in this topic

[CNO]
[CNO]
Members
6,186 posts
18,839 battles

I see all sort of posts about the bad CV that keeps DDs perpetually spotted, ruining the day for DDs everywhere. 

If that ain't bad enough, this one should ice the cake.

• Cool 3
  • Funny 2
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 3
  • Boring 6

[RLGN]
Members
15,184 posts
26,825 battles

“...and RNG spaketh; ‘I shall help thee smiteth thine enemies into tiny bits, through my mercy.’ and the carrier driver did sayeth; AMEN”

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester
27,513 posts
14,829 battles

You were never spotted on the way and the DD fired his guns just before you got there telling you exactly where he was and didn't move. Rockets not suffering from the non-detected dispersion that guns do so if you are on target...surprise.

• Cool 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Boring 3

[PVE]
Members
7,307 posts
23,183 battles

Oh that's gonna start some fun conversations...hold on a sec...

:cap_popcorn::Smile_popcorn:(fishy really needs a popcorn imogi)...

Ok... let's do this :-)

• Cool 3

[IND8]
[IND8]
Members
1,119 posts
11,073 battles
29 minutes ago, BrushWolf said:

You were never spotted on the way and the DD fired his guns just before you got there telling you exactly where he was and didn't move. Rockets not suffering from the non-detected dispersion that guns do so if you are on target...surprise.

Not to mention that the DD was staionary while firing and was already heavily damaged. That was a mercy killing of a DD theat probably should have already been dead.

• Cool 3
  • Boring 2
  • Meh 1

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester
27,513 posts
14,829 battles
15 minutes ago, Shannon_Lindsey said:

Not to mention that the DD was staionary while firing and was already heavily damaged. That was a mercy killing of a DD theat probably should have already been dead.

The CV haters never seem to be able to open their eyes to the fact that if the DD makes it easy or in this case a bit easier against a good CV player that the DD owns part of their own demise.

• Cool 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Boring 2

[CNO]
[CNO]
Members
6,186 posts
18,839 battles
43 minutes ago, BrushWolf said:

The CV haters never seem to be able to open their eyes to the fact that if the DD makes it easy or in this case a bit easier against a good CV player that the DD owns part of their own demise.

A bit of back story.

My first group out was rocket fighters. Dropped a spotter fighter on the backside of B and then ran a search seam toward A, where I picked up the DD.  No support AA, and decided to save his smoke.  So, in I went...once.....twice....three....(did I mention they were Enterprise rocket planes?)....and four times!  Just shy of 10K.  One friendly fired a salvo and sliced a little bit.  So I knew he was low health.  

After the fourth run, I immediately shot off another rocket fighter group to try and finish him.  He smoked up.  My main cue on location was the fact he was capping, so I knew I needed to  unload in the cap in the smoke.  I figured he would be toward the back of the cap.  I actually kinda messed up on the run in.  I usually try to keep the distribution large on a blind shot, but I started the run too soon and I messed up the convergence a bit...so I fired a little bit earlier than I intended.  Not just a lucky hit, but a lucky hit due to a misplay of my desired shot.

Three things for DD captains:

1.  It's the Enterprise - gets FOUR runs if unopposed.

2.  Run with AA support.

3.  If you can't do (2), and (1) finds you, it's time to smoke up. 

I believe the DD was focused on the cap.  To give credit, if I didn't get the lucky hit, he would have capped it.   But at what cost?  A quick grab of a cap is a sound strategy, but it must be adjusted based on threat.  As soon as the fighters spotted the DD, it was smoke time.  No friendly AA support.  Poor AA.  Gotta give up the quick cap, conserve the hit points; smoke up.  You simply can't give an  Enterprise four unopposed slices at you.

• Cool 3
  • Boring 1

[USCC2]
Members
6,274 posts
1 hour ago, BrushWolf said:

So true, the haters of something will always overlook certain facts. Take those that cry about HE/Fires and then look at the damage done by fires compared to that by AP.

• Cool 1

Members
2,008 posts
52 battles
3 hours ago, BrushWolf said:

So basically it has nothing to do with CVs being broken, that the DD should be completely silent in smoke and thus be completely useless. No, it is clearly the DDs fault for wanting to both play the objective and deal damage. He should have just camped back on the J line, huh?

• Cool 8
  • Thanks 6
  • Boring 4
  • Meh 2

[REVY]
Members
2,577 posts
13,852 battles
6 hours ago, BrushWolf said:

5 hours ago, Shannon_Lindsey said:

Not to mention that the DD was stationary while firing and was already heavily damaged. That was a mercy killing of a DD threat probably should have already been dead.

^^^ 

Completely this.

I had to re-watch it again to be sure what I was seeing.
Video starts in Mid-Battle. When the CV had launched his fighters, the DD had just been spotted low health. The fighters came in un-spotted and the DD fired while in smoke.

This is no different then another ship firing and sinking another in smoke based on his gun fire.

Smoke does not make any ship 'invincible'. All it does is if the smoking ship remains in it, it gives you a smaller area to search for that ship in.

[WOLFC]
Members
2,179 posts
4 hours ago, Soshi_Sone said:

I believe the DD was focused on the cap.  To give credit, if I didn't get the lucky hit, he would have capped it.   But at what cost?  A quick grab of a cap is a sound strategy, but it must be adjusted based on threat. 

Lots of people in here seem to not want to have to adjust based on threat.

• Cool 1
  • Boring 1

[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
13,185 posts

I want more and real-life carriers back in the game. I'm not looking forward to the hybrids nor the sub-carriers. Just give us back those you dropped from us. 

GJ @Soshi_Sone how did the dd  not know firing was a bad thing... hmm.... 

• Meh 2

[TARK]
Members
7,331 posts
2,839 battles
3 hours ago, El2aZeR said:

So basically it has nothing to do with CVs being broken, that the DD should be completely silent in smoke and thus be completely useless. No, it is clearly the DDs fault for wanting to both play the objective and deal damage. He should have just camped back on the J line, huh?

Stupid objective play gets the consequences it deserves...

...the fact remains, DDs have to play differently when a CV is in the match. That is not a bug, its a feature.

This is not a ww1 arcade game.

[G-O-W]
Volunteer Moderator Coordinator, Supertester, Privateers
1,415 posts
15,868 battles

TBH, that sort of thing is pretty rare. I'm glad to see that the comments are keeping out of the realm of personal attacks and other such nonsense. 

Carry on.

Members
1,797 posts
5,635 battles

Yeah...

You know, better maps would be a help. I was thinking about the five second trip back to port I took yesterday in my Anshan...in the context of CV, naturally (since that’s who spotted me), but this would apply equally to radar (as long as it goes through land masses) I suppose. What do I mean be better? More open water around the caps. If you wanna make caps bigger, dump stupid stuff inside the center, fine...but, as a DD or non camping cruiser player, open water is a boon for the following reasons:

1. When you inevitably get spotted trying to contest the cap, you will have had ample opportunity to recon the area for threats via open water. 
2. It affords maneuver space and, therefore, flexibility to ALL ship classes near the caps to work together. 

I’ve made no secret that since my return I’ve gone from DD hero to zero. The reason is simple - I’m having a hard time adjusting from a meta where DD could spot and contest caps early game to one where it is nearly suicidal to do so. DD used to exercise vision control...they do not have a meaningful dominance of that ability on a number of maps based on the amount of covert/covered firing positions from which to deploy radar and, of course, CVs...who can cancel a DD stealth and spotting by inferring where they are and flying some planes there. 

That’s my thought. Worth what you paid. 

• Cool 2

[S0L0]
[S0L0]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
4,740 posts
7,281 battles

I've done this a few times in a surface ship blind firing into smoke at a DDs last known position as well.  Its easier and more common in a cv..clearly.   As low of health as DD was, this really isn't much of a deal..  truthfully in hindsight DD may have made better use out the little time it had remaining by sitting still in the cap in smoke and not firing, and getting the cap, maybe?   but honestly a good CV pilot would have probably guessed exactly where it was sitting anyway, if it didn't fire, the cap was running and DD was sitting in the most obvious place it could be.. Based on smoke limits there was very little space in the cap it could be. And with the reticle change and enterprise's massive rocket spread.. It was inevitable.    If I was in a surface ship and needed to stop that cap.. that's pretty much exactly where I would have mini-map targeted as well..    Not the worst luck I've seen.. I'll credit that to the full health DD that I detonated blind firing rockets into smoke in the early days of the rework at less than 1 minute into a match... now that was some crap. I really felt bad for it... He/she never said a word in chat I suppose just exited to port and slammed his keyboard into something..    

[LODGE]
Beta Testers
405 posts
16,310 battles
7 hours ago, BrushWolf said:

Wait...that's not right. In today's world everyone is entitled to be a victim.

• Boring 1

[SALVO]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
6,104 posts
6,077 battles

He smoked near an island, fired before you arrived, you sprayed it with a high arc weapon. Basically you rolled in with a shotgun in a close quarters. 

DD players can be lazy in smoke sometimes, they think it's the end all be all...then a wave of torps come into the cloud. 

• Cool 1
  • Boring 1

Members
2,008 posts
52 battles
8 hours ago, Shannon_Lindsey said:

If you actually pay attention to the video you'd see that the tracers came from way forward in the smoke compared to where the DD was actually killed.

1 hour ago, Daniel_Allan_Clark said:

Stupid objective play gets the consequences it deserves...

...the fact remains, DDs have to play differently when a CV is in the match. That is not a bug, its a feature.

Here we have it ladies and gents. Playing the objective, aka playing the game as intended, is a misplay against a CV.

And yeah, it is a feature. A terrible one.

Edited by El2aZeR
  • Cool 6
  • Thanks 4
  • Boring 1

[TARK]
Members
7,331 posts
2,839 battles
38 minutes ago, El2aZeR said:

Here we have it ladies and gents. Playing the objective, aka playing the game as intended, is a misplay against a CV.

And yeah, it is a feature. A terrible one

Nice strawman. Who made the statement you reference? Not I.

My position is: STUPID objective play (i.e. the opening post example) gets you killed.

Want to comment on that?

Edited by Daniel_Allan_Clark
  • Meh 2

Members
2,773 posts
93 battles
47 minutes ago, Daniel_Allan_Clark said:

Nice strawman. Who made the statement you reference? Not I.

My position is: STUPID objective play (i.e. the opening post example) gets you killed.

Want to comment on that?

No, he is right you are wrong because he's the CV God. 

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1

Members
2,008 posts
52 battles
51 minutes ago, Daniel_Allan_Clark said:

Want to comment on that?

Sure.

How is what he did stupid?