You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
otakuben

For your consideration: Premium Tier 7 Italian Battleship Lipari

12 comments in this topic

[SMLSK]
Beta Testers
1,373 posts
2,132 battles

Yes I know I've been putting quite a few of these forward lately but this will be the last I do for a while. However this one I'm most excited about.

Premium Tier 7 Italian Battleship Lipari

So here is the idea behind this ship. In the 30's Italy put forth a number of designs as their next Battleship to help fight against the recently laid down Dunkerque class of battleships. Many concepts were given with a few designs based on tonnage and specific armament requirements. Eventually the designs would result in the Littorio class of Battleships. However among these concepts was one that caught my eye. A ship weighing in at 35,000 tonnes with 6 - 406mm guns in 3 turrets and a top speed of 29-30 knots. The ship would also have an armor belt of 406mm because they wanted it to have good armor that could withstand it's own level of guns. This would be rejected as the escalation of design would result in the much heavier, much stronger Littorio class. However I believe this ship could fit quite well at tier 7 as an Italian Premium Battleship. I also choose this as I firmly believe this ship would not be in the actual Italian Tree and would make a fun, unique ship for people to play.

The Ship

in0y6B9.jpg

First off I made this design myself as I could not find one myself. It is very rudimentary and would represent what it would actually look like or how it would be laid out. This is an approximation based on designs of existing Italian Battleships. The main guns are 16 in like suggested in the original design. For the secondary and AA aspects I went with what the original Littorio was supposed to be fitted with as I believe they would have done the same for this ship.

Premium Tier 7 Italian Battleship Lipari

Hit Points - 61,000

Cost - 9,000 doubloons or $39.95

Hit points I put a little ahead of most tier 7's since the ship is heavily armored for the tier and would be a bit more beefy.

Main Battery

Cannone da 406/50 Ansaldo M1934 - 3x2

Rate of Fire - 2 shots/min

Reload Time - 30 Seconds

Rotation Speed - 6 deg/sec

180 Degree Turn Time - 180 sec

Firing Range - 17.3km

Maximum Dispersion - 253m

HE Shell - 406 mm proiettili HE

Maximum HE Shell Damage - 5,200

Chance of Fire on Target Caused by HE Shell - 25%

Initial HE Shell Velocity - 870 m/s

HE Shell Weight - 830 kg

AP Shell - 406mm proiettili AP

Maximum AP Shell Damage - 13,100

Initial AP Shell Velocity - 840 m/s

AP Shell Weight - 1100 kg

I could not find stats on a 16 in Naval Gun for the Italian Navy. As such I had to improvise with her stats a bit. Her range is just shy of the Roma this is mostly because I believe the ship would maintain a low profile like the Roma. This means a shorter range. The dispersion is worse but that's mostly to do with balance. However it does have a high velocity which means greater chance of overpens. The reason the gun is Italian made is because I believe that because this ship was planned around the same time as the Littorio that Ansaldo would have designed and produced a 406mm naval gun if asked too. Ballistics would be similar to the 15 inch guns, flat and fast with a short flight time.

Secondary Armament

152mm/55 OTO 1936 - 6x2

Firing Range - 5km

Rate of Fire - 5 shots/min

Reload time - 12 sec

HE Shell - 152mm proiettili HE

Maximum HE Shell Damage - 2,100

Initial HE Shell Velocity - 950 m/s

Chance of Fire on Target Caused by HE Shell - 7%

In the original concepts and talks about a ship of this design there was an ask to have 152mm guns in 6 - 2 barrel turrets. This would act as a secondary gun for the ship. For the Littorio they would put this is 4 - 3 barrel turrets. For this design I went reminiscent of the Guilio Cesare and had the 2 barrel turrets, especially as this ship would be smaller than the Roma most likely.

AA Defense

37mm/54 RM 1939 - 10x2

Average Damage per Second - 178

Firing Range - 3.51km

20mm/65 Breda 1935 - 16x2

Average Damage per Second - 54.4

Firing Range - 2.01km

AA defense would be almost exactly like the Littorio except there would not be any 90mm guns as well. The 90mm guns on the Littorio were an addition as the original 20mm and 37mm AA defenses were determined to not be enough.

Maneuverability

Maximum Speed - 29 knots

Turning Circle Radius - 790m

Rudder Shift Time - 16 sec

I put the maneuverability at the lower end (29 vs 30) as I believe the weight of the ship would have slowed it compared to what would have been possible. This is mostly due to the excess armor belt.

Concealment

Surface Detectability Range - 14.5 km

Air Detectability Range - 10.2 km

Like the Roma she has good concealment and would be smaller (35,000 tonnes vs 42,000) and thus have better concealment making her pretty good for doing sneaky shots.

Armor

Belt - 406mm

Deck - 163mm

Turrets - 406mm

Conning Tower - 260mm

Torpedo Bulge Protection - 35%

So this is probably one of the better aspects of the ship. It has really good belt armor making her a  really hard nut to crack. A belt armor of 16 in makes her really good at medium range against other ships of the same tier and even some of tier 8. However at closer ranges guns can penetrate her that are lower caliber.

Consumables

- Damage Control Party

- Repair Party

- Spotting Aircraft or Catapult Fighter

Upgrades

- Slot 1

- Slot 2

- Slot 3

- Slot 4

Upgrades and consumables are pretty typical for this ship at this tier.

Pros

- 16 in guns at tier 7

- decent AA for tier

- really good armor for tier

- 29 knot top speed is pretty fast for a battleship of that tier

- Good Torpedo Protection

Cons

- Only 6 main guns

- Less than average secondaries

- Range is not great for gun size

The Final Thought

I realize we have the Gneisenau with 15 inch guns but for a unique premium ala the Georgia it could be a fun ship to play. Also it is a safe bet to say that this ship would be a needed addition to the sad Italian Battleship line-up and would be safe from the tree as there are plenty of other options at tier 7 for Italian Battleships on the regular line. 

Edit: As for the name, I could not find a conventional name for the ship so I went with the Battle of Lipari which was technically a loss but made a huge leap forward in Naval Technology for Rome at that time.

• Cool 2

Members
1,112 posts
4,792 battles

Might I suggest SAP instead of HE? With only 6 barrels, you end up with some minor issues against DDs, and even with the HE Alpha, I feel that SAP would still be more effective

-Shrayes

[FOXEH]
Banned
14,364 posts
20,355 battles
2 hours ago, otakuben said:

I also choose this as I firmly believe this ship would not be in the actual Italian Tree and would make a fun, unique ship for people to play.

There's an Italian tree? Really? (Where?)

• Boring 1

[SMLSK]
Beta Testers
1,373 posts
2,132 battles
6 hours ago, Shrayes_Bhagavatula said:

Might I suggest SAP instead of HE? With only 6 barrels, you end up with some minor issues against DDs, and even with the HE Alpha, I feel that SAP would still be more effective

-Shrayes

Ya know I had considered it but ultimately figured a gimmick for italian premiums could be they fired HE instead of SAP since all the current ones fire HE.

5 hours ago, Umikami said:

There's an Italian tree? Really? (Where?)

It's eventually coming (once WG gets off their rear ends). I really wanted to choose a ship that obviously wouldn't interfere.

[FOXEH]
Banned
14,364 posts
20,355 battles
58 minutes ago, otakuben said:

It's eventually coming (once WG gets off their rear ends). I really wanted to choose a ship that obviously wouldn't interfere.

Well, then, I would say you have achieved your goal; I'm wondering if it isn't underpowered for tier 7, considering the number of 16 inch guns Mutsu and WeeVee both get at tier 6. That fourth turret would certainly be helpful in a scrap.

[SMLSK]
Beta Testers
1,373 posts
2,132 battles
13 minutes ago, Umikami said:

Well, then, I would say you have achieved your goal; I'm wondering if it isn't underpowered for tier 7, considering the number of 16 inch guns Mutsu and WeeVee both get at tier 6. That fourth turret would certainly be helpful in a scrap.

I had considered that. But the mutsu has much lighter armor where this can easily take hard hits at medium ranges and keep on trucking. There's a few ships that outgun her but few that can outrun her and most have 15" or worse guns at tier 7 and less.

[FOXEH]
Banned
14,364 posts
20,355 battles
1 minute ago, otakuben said:

I had considered that. But the mutsu has much lighter armor where this can easily take hard hits at medium ranges and keep on trucking. There's a few ships that outgun her but few that can outrun her and most have 15" or worse guns at tier 7 and less.

At tier 6 only 2 ships sport 16 inch guns; Mutsu and West Virginia. At tier 7 that number grows a bit larger; Japan has 2, the USN 1, the Russians 1, and the Royal Navy 1 for a total of 5, plus the two from tier 6. Most of them sport 8 or 9 guns in 3 or 4 turrets. At short ranges you could need to tank quite a bit while suffering from a serious DPM disadvantage. I mean, is it really, really good armor?

[SMLSK]
Beta Testers
1,373 posts
2,132 battles
2 minutes ago, Umikami said:

At tier 6 only 2 ships sport 16 inch guns; Mutsu and West Virginia. At tier 7 that number grows a bit larger; Japan has 2, the USN 1, the Russians 1, and the Royal Navy 1 for a total of 5, plus the two from tier 6. Most of them sport 8 or 9 guns in 3 or 4 turrets. At short ranges you could need to tank quite a bit while suffering from a serious DPM disadvantage. I mean, is it really, really good armor?

406mm of armor is something most ships won't see till tier 8+. Heck the US BB tree doesn't get that till tier 10. I do believe the heavy armor and speed off put the lesser broadside.

[SMLSK]
Beta Testers
1,373 posts
2,132 battles
10 hours ago, BrushWolf said:

While paper there are never enough pasta boats.

giphy.gif

Yes it's paper but for a Premium and not the main line I figured it would be okay.

Also agree, never enough pasta boats.

[FOXEH]
Banned
14,364 posts
20,355 battles
4 hours ago, otakuben said:

406mm of armor is something most ships won't see till tier 8+. Heck the US BB tree doesn't get that till tier 10. I do believe the heavy armor and speed off put the lesser broadside.

Your ship; your call.

[SMLSK]
Beta Testers
1,373 posts
2,132 battles
On 9/17/2020 at 2:09 PM, Umikami said:

Your ship; your call.

Also keep in mind the Gneisenau has only 6 - 15in guns at tier 7.