Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
FullMetal_Inferno

Ideal Division Composition?

12 comments in this topic

Members
335 posts
5,591 battles

So my friend and I have been discussing what ship combinations work best in divisions. I tend to find a coordinated CV can work with almost any ship class, but aside from that we couldn't think of any better combinations.

If we double up on cruisers we can bring the damage, but we can't push safely if we have to. If we are both BBs, we have to rely on our team to spot DDs and deal with the inevitable HE spam. If we both DD, we feel our damage numbers might be too inconsistent especially against a tough radar match up in the higher tiers.

Is there any magic combination of ship classes that any of you have found to work particularly well? What about for a division of three?

Thanks!

[-TKS-]
Members
271 posts
9,114 battles

My opinion is to match up with any other class. bb+ca or BB+DD or CA+DD ect Any ships that work together, such as a torp DD + a gun DD. HOWEVER, if you decide to run the same type ships in randoms make sure you do't cause a lemming train. EG if you both run DD's and theres only 2 in the game don't go for the same cap.

• Cool 1

[IMP]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
373 posts
5,689 battles

Radar cruiser(s) + DD works very well, for obvious reasons. I don't like playing DD if my division mate is bringing a CV, while I can ask my friend for his fighters there's still the enemy CV...

I play on divisions a lot (because I get really bored after two or three games of solo) and we don't think too much on compositions these days, we just click on whatever ship we want to play and do our best in them. If we do our jobs right, we win.

• Cool 1

Members
3,669 posts
42,633 battles

Ah, the magic that is creating a super division.

Oddly, no one has asked me this at all in the 5 years I have been playing. Yet I know of the performance of quite a few ships.

I will have to ponder this because there are some combinations. Some that are standard and others just to mitigate a threat while strong arming the cap.  

I will probably post a list based on nation and tier specific. Also, I will list suggested divisions based on situational development like that pesky Evil CV player.

Since squadrons are larger than 3, I will designate them task force.

I will have an answer in 1-2 days. Then prepare for the fun to begin. Because I will be listing the doctrine employed with each force.

Since many will have differing opinions about this topic, bear in mind that the OP asked.

I am not responsible if it bloody works brilliantly and many red teams fall like they got slammed by a typhoon.

The stuff I put up will take into consideration the current meta, future meta, history, knowledge of the ships involved, techniques to implement the plan, the Dark Side of the Force, and the occasional joke inserted so salty players can lighten up and learn something.

Again, not responsible for players suffering from implemented real time strategy. 😏

Stay tuned to this thread.

:cap_book::cap_haloween::cap_like:

• Thanks 1

Members
6,920 posts
21,437 battles

Sims>Belfast>Fiji. Tier seven, low risk of radar, this threesome all three have smoke, two hydros and one radar. Having the Sims spot and resmoke if needed. 

Played against this once against a purple clan, the Fiji and Belfast were never spotted all game.

• Cool 1

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
28,903 posts
25,145 battles

Generally I felt the best 2 general ship types that really complimented each other were a DD + Cruiser combination, most especially if that Cruiser is a Radar Cruiser.  Effective combinations depend on what ships the players feel comfortable with.  However, there's certain mixes I never felt right with.

2-3 ship Divisions of the same type, i.e. all DDs, all Cruisers, all BBs.  Not saying they can't work, it's just they same too specialized for one thing while not covering up weaknesses.

A 3 BB Div sounds cool until your DD screen is gone and a single enemy Stealth Torpedo DD can bully the 3 of you off the map.

A 3 Cruiser Division is pretty flexible since there are lots of Cruiser types and playstyles, but it has zero staying power.  A few unlucky BB AP salvos and you just lost a few Div members.

A 3 DD Division means too many of the team's Destroyers are spawned together.  The onus is on you to hard carry if you got all those coordinated DDs together.  Greatly depends on DD Div ship composition as it can easily be thrown off, i.e. enemy Radar Cruisers, CVs, etc.  I've seen 3 DD Divisions often be any of the two extremes:

- Played so well that they bulldoze and push their way around the map, with the rest of the team merely riding their coattails.

- Played so badly that their failure is an automatic loss for the team.  When 3 of your DDs are "working together" at the cost of the rest of the map, and still f--- it up, there's almost no recovery from that.

I've played a bunch of Division Comps I felt both uncomfortable and comfortable with.  I personally like the mix ship composition as overlapping strengths, capabilities compliment the other ships, as well as mitigate weaknesses.  I also felt that Radar Cruisers when capably played were a highly useful component in mixed Divisions.

DDx2 + Radar Cruiser

Most especially if the Smoke for both DDs are good smoke to help setup the Radar Cruiser to be more aggressive around the caps.  USN DD or IJN DD Smoke works well, but USN Smoke is the best in team play because of how long it lasts and how much can be dropped.  RN, German DD smoke isn't as useful in this capacity.  It is also useful if the Radar Cruiser has decent to good concealment.  A sneaky Radar Cruiser means the Div DDs got an easier time setting up smoke in an aggressive position for Radar use when they know the ship isn't getting spotted far away.  Multiple DDs with Radar Cruiser support at the cap and voice comm coordination is hell for a opposing single or uncoordinated DDs to handle.

Gearing x2 with a Des Moines

I remember blazing around with Worcester + Z52 + Shimakaze and we just rolled people.  The Worcester Gun Spam and Radar + Double Hydros + Z52 torp reload + Shima Torpedo Waves and fair concealment was a powerful combination.

Balanced Surface Division:  DD + Radar Cruiser + Battleship

My favorite, I felt better when the Division sailed together like this.  DD for the scouting and capping, Radar Cruiser support and DPM, and the Battleship provides presence, staying power.  The presence of a Battleship demands respect, especially from Radar Cruisers trying to get too cute.

Air Support:  RNBB + CV

RNBB HE shells are real good in clearing AA & Secondary gun mounts.  The blast radius are also unusually large.  Conqueror 419mm x12 HE salvos in the past were the absolute Queens in Blasting a target's AA & Secondary Batteries to pieces.  Our CV player would point out, "Can you soften up that Jean Bart AA for me?"

Conkeke:  "Sure thing, buddy!... AA BE GONE!... There you go, have fun!"

I'd imagine RNBB 457m HE would be devastating to aux gun mounts, if not worse for the target if the dispersion was good.

Old Troll Squad:  Belfast x2 + Sims or Mahan :Smile_trollface:

Regarding Multi-DD Divisions again:  I said I wasn't too fond of it, but there are some crazy mixes out there.  Some of them like Black, later PADDs have Radar.  In a coordinated Division situation, those unusual DDs working with regular ones, can be very effective.  It's just you better get it right, 3 DDs for one part of the map means almost all the team's DDs are in that single area.  I remember dealing with a Triple Black Division long, long ago, back when only great players had her, and our team's DDs got steamrolled.  When they worked our DDs over there was nothing we could do.  I was in a Cruiser or Battleship at the time, not a d*mn thing I could help to stop them.  We never saw any of the Black DDs get spotted and they still ripped our DDs apart, that, along with their team's focus fire.  The only thing we saw was smoke and boatloads of torps.  I remember a DM player tried to stop them, he only got spotted, got torped, and had to dodge Battleship AP salvos.  Both did him in.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway
  • Cool 1

[BOTES]
Members
31 posts
11,326 battles

A division of three? Thats really, really, really simple.

One brings a DD, another brings a BB and the other brings a cruiser. 

[1984]
Members
4,482 posts
21,506 battles

The ideal combo is 1bb 1ca 1dd. I wouldnt do 2 or 3 times the same ship unless youre just derping around. If one is a cv the other 2 should be he slingers to strip aa and or aa ships like a halland to chomp planes.

[RBMK2]
[RBMK2]
Members
604 posts
12,383 battles

When I read the title my first thought was a Div with me and 2 unicums, so they can carry me.

[SALVO]
Members
2,725 posts
6,816 battles
1 hour ago, FullMetal_Inferno said:

So my friend and I have been discussing what ship combinations work best in divisions. I tend to find a coordinated CV can work with almost any ship class, but aside from that we couldn't think of any better combinations.

If we double up on cruisers we can bring the damage, but we can't push safely if we have to. If we are both BBs, we have to rely on our team to spot DDs and deal with the inevitable HE spam. If we both DD, we feel our damage numbers might be too inconsistent especially against a tough radar match up in the higher tiers.

Is there any magic combination of ship classes that any of you have found to work particularly well? What about for a division of three?

Thanks!

BB+ CA + DD is the most optimal composition. A 3 man division with this setup is perfect for holding down one flank.  Bonus if the cruiser has radar.  It gives you every tool you need.  You can replace the BB Or the cruiser with a CV but you will be lacking dedicated fire power on that flank. 

Traditinally the DD decides direction if spawned at mid.   For example I would say” I will be going B to C”. So the cruiser and BB can decide on their own which approach to take. 

Any division that doubles up on one single class is suboptimal unless you are a set of unicums that can simply execute every time. Least optimal is doubling up on DDs especially if you are a set of potatoes or even Above medium players that have not practiced this. 

Edited by eviltane
  • Cool 1

Sign in to follow this