Jump to content
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Major_Reeves

The state of WoWs verses Wots.

33 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

37
[FOGG]
Beta Testers
70 posts
6,520 battles

I began playing WoTs a long time ago. We were 3 in team and not bad really. Some 5 years ago we left Wots for Wows, no one was satisfied with Wots. Clearly World of tanks had become World of Race Cars. Armored Warfare easily surpassed Wot when it came on the scene. It's been a very long time since I played WoT so tonight I decided to test it once more. I played two Tier V and a Tier VI battle in my best tank with my very best crew. They lasted less than a minute in combat. Clearly WoT had changed and not for the best. When a KV-1 is one shot killed it's clear they used gold ammo. This has been discussed at length on YouTube so it won't be beat to death here. 

So, disgusted with Wots I recalled how friends of mine berated the Ark Royal in WoWs as worthless crap. I owned 3 German CV's so I thought why not test the Ark Royal against WoT. I bought her and retrained a 7 point commander I used in the Belfast for CVs. Off to battle I went and although I wasn't impressed with my results two things were clear to me. First WoT is clearly on the wrong track. Second WoWs is clearly on the RIGHT track. I spent $25 to buy the Ark Royal tonight. If I had spent the same $25 on a T3 or T4  tank in Wots I wound have been PISSED! What WoWs did in doing away with the premium consumables was the right choice. Wot needs to do away with gold ammo for any hope of saving it.

 Some have wondered if WoWs has reached it's peak and was headed down hill after 5 years. Compared to what I experienced tonight that is NOT the case. If anything was learned tonight for me it was to believe in me, not the critics.

I have bought a lot of premium ships and most of German premium ships. Lately they are all crap but one and by now everyone should know the name of that ship. I play mainly Germans but the Ark Royal was worth her price to me and performed as expected.

From what I can see from experience, WoWs is bumpy but at least on the right track. I've been here since the Beta so I've seen a lot.

  • Cool 11
  • Thanks 5
  • Boring 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
353
[TIAR]
[TIAR]
Beta Testers
1,447 posts
21,554 battles

The moment I wish not happen is when they get "wheeled vehicles" to WoWs.

Like you I moved from WoT when WoWs was launched.

WG has an outstanding record in being unable to introduce changes and being able to balance around them. Always wondered if it's not a feature instead of a flaw. It's a very effective way to remove old players who new the "old" game and replace them with new ones.

Also spent those $25 in tanks that by today standards are unusable. As you say, currently WoWs still gives you more attrition resistant bits than in WoT.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
451
[WOLFX]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
1,141 posts
4,173 battles

Like you I loaded up WoT to go for a spin recently. I also grabbed a tier 5 and a tier 6 with some of my best crews (Rudy and T-25 if I remember correctly). Got my butt handed to me on a plate.

Thought that part of it was me simply being 5 years out of practice, so I figured I'd fire up the tier 1 of one of the countries that were added while I was gone. Made sense to me, start again from the beginning to relearn the game, pick up on the new meta, etc.

I sat in the queue waiting, and waiting, and waiting. After about 5 min of waiting for a match in that tank I simply logged off and didn't go back. The match maker likely has an anti seal clubbing feature that was preventing me from getting a match, but at 5 years since I've played the game seal clubbing is the furthest thing from my mind.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
949 posts
2,321 battles

Artillery in WOT is much much worse than CV's IMO. Basically what I imagine WOWS would be like if WG decided to go into modern ships with missiles. 

Tried Blitz(which doesn't have art) and I loved it so tried switching over to the main game. Much better maps though but just isn't fun IMO. 

My issues with WG with WOWS is what they don't do(neglecting lower more historical tiers, no new game modes etc) rather than anything they have done wrong. . With WOT don't think it'd be easy to say the same.

And yeah the lack of co ops and bots makes loading for lower rank battles horrible. Basically new player repellent, don't know why they do that. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
28 posts
3,957 battles

Have to agree with you.

Been in beta for both WOT and WOWS and I rarely play WOT anymore. WOT is just an arms race. The premium tank you buy today will be so overmatched in a year, it's not even funny. I bought the KV5 when it came out and it was a beast. It even had preferential matchmaking at the time. Not any more. lol It's puny 108mm gun is no match for the tanks it goes up against. Same issue with my Type 59, etc, etc. Wanted to support the game, but refuse to keep playing catch up because my premium tanks become obsolete.

So far I haven't gotten that feeling with WOWS. The Warspite and Graff Spee can still hold their own in a battle, and I haven't paid for any other ships. Bought those two to support the game and I hope WOWS stays on the right track.

I learned my lesson with WOT and I'm not going to keep pouring money into a game just to stay competitive.

And yeah, trying to get a low tier (T1-T2) game is useless, but I've noticed the same thing in WOWS. Really hard to get into a lower tier game.

Edited by treadhead52

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
343
Members
1,797 posts
5,635 battles

WoT has no shortage of problems. It is very much a game that rewards players for spending money to enable or improve their performance. If you’re Taugrim or QuickyBaby you can probably run a true F2P account and be alright...if you want to compete at high tier and make money as someone of middling skill, running a premium account and/or premium vehicles with premium consumables and premium ammunition becomes nearly mandatory. Gold ammo is HORRIBLE from a game balance standpoint and is terrible for gameplay. Why is WoT such a campy, vision control based mess? Maybe it’s because you can completely invalidate a vehicle’s armor by merely dabbing the 2 key in many cases.  Stark examples are the (HEA)T-54 that goes from an “OK” tank to a BEAST if you’re willing to fire straight premium ammo...and either be amazingly good or lose credits doing so. The WoWS equivalent would be cruisers (or even DD) being able to  cit pen BB through the nose and angled side. You can see how that’s DUMB AF in that context.

I wasn’t playing WoWS actively when they went to the one consumable model and eliminated the premiums. Good for them. They’ve never had premium ammo. Awesome. The one problem they both suffer from is power creep and new vehicle introductions. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
571
[-VT-]
Members
781 posts
34,905 battles
4 hours ago, Major_Reeves said:

Clearly World of tanks had become World of Race Cars.

This!

This got me out of Tanks as well.  The speed of the game became more RTS instead of strategy and became a whole lot less fun that its early years.  WG may have gone to the increased game speed to woo younger players but they sure lost a ton of older players and any sense of realism.

 

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,952
[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
13,178 posts
15 minutes ago, Mahrs said:

The one problem they both suffer from is power creep and new vehicle introductions. 

Had they been a bit sharper, wiser or just lucky, they would have planned for obsolescence.  Doing so would have absorbed the power creep of new ships whilst keeping the old ships relevant. This could have spurred a great many players to "hang around" to continue spending time and most importantly, money. 

Considering WoWS now routinely offers "new ship bundles" at or over a hundred US dollars, I'd say they play the game far better than their sister game. 

Or are they getting the same dollars over there? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,799
[PVE]
Members
4,780 posts
21,093 battles
5 hours ago, Major_Reeves said:

I began playing WoTs a long time ago. We were 3 in team and not bad really. Some 5 years ago we left Wots for Wows, no one was satisfied with Wots. Clearly World of tanks had become World of Race Cars. Armored Warfare easily surpassed Wot when it came on the scene. It's been a very long time since I played WoT so tonight I decided to test it once more. I played two Tier V and a Tier VI battle in my best tank with my very best crew. They lasted less than a minute in combat. Clearly WoT had changed and not for the best. When a KV-1 is one shot killed it's clear they used gold ammo. This has been discussed at length on YouTube so it won't be beat to death here. 

So, disgusted with Wots I recalled how friends of mine berated the Ark Royal in WoWs as worthless crap. I owned 3 German CV's so I thought why not test the Ark Royal against WoT. I bought her and retrained a 7 point commander I used in the Belfast for CVs. Off to battle I went and although I wasn't impressed with my results two things were clear to me. First WoT is clearly on the wrong track. Second WoWs is clearly on the RIGHT track. I spent $25 to buy the Ark Royal tonight. If I had spent the same $25 on a T3 or T4  tank in Wots I wound have been PISSED! What WoWs did in doing away with the premium consumables was the right choice. Wot needs to do away with gold ammo for any hope of saving it.

 Some have wondered if WoWs has reached it's peak and was headed down hill after 5 years. Compared to what I experienced tonight that is NOT the case. If anything was learned tonight for me it was to believe in me, not the critics.

I have bought a lot of premium ships and most of German premium ships. Lately they are all crap but one and by now everyone should know the name of that ship. I play mainly Germans but the Ark Royal was worth her price to me and performed as expected.

From what I can see from experience, WoWs is bumpy but at least on the right track. I've been here since the Beta so I've seen a lot.

WoWs is entering the mature game cycle and as it's older brother, will sadly, follow the same paradigms.  I've predicted a "Golden Age" in 2021 where we might just see all sorts of "Golden" consumables.  We are going to see a Skill Tree Change I believe to designed devalue players in the 20-22 point CPT changes.   That will be the "artillery" that breaks the game's back....! 

We can not expect anything else because these games all belong to the same Corporation........  And, they are making money: till government's or AI driven games force them to do something else....... 

  • Boring 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
559
[-TKS-]
[-TKS-]
Members
1,295 posts
12,686 battles
1 hour ago, Sabene said:

WG may have gone to the increased game speed to woo younger players but they sure lost a ton of older players and any sense of realism.

I believe they are on the same path here. the pace of the game has increased since I joined 3 years ago. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
802
[LOU1]
Members
4,227 posts
12,518 battles

LOL, I switched from WOT to WOWS because of the toxicity.  The last few months I have been spending as lot more time in WOTS because of the toxicity in WOWS.  One bottom line is that it is difficult to fault online games that are still going strong after 10 and five years.  One thing to keep in mind is that games have to evolve and change to remain relevant.  I am just glad that WOWS and WOT have staff that engage with the player base and don't treat the games as strictly a business activity.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
465
[-TRM-]
[-TRM-]
Members
1,714 posts
5,363 battles

I have like 300 gold rotting in WOTs from the artillery days. There was a time that all got nerfed really bad and I simply left. That was years ago. I don't intend to be back.

I have done missile warfare in modern navy in computer games in the past it wont be a problem to do it again. Just dump 1000+ against a carrier group and wait for it to empty the SAM tubes and then all of them get sunk by saturation. Imagine the howls then.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,056
[-K-]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
7,466 posts
9,751 battles

I personally just can't stand all the camping in WoT. Playing WoWS was, and still is, a breath of fresh air in comparison.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
343
Members
1,797 posts
5,635 battles
49 minutes ago, vak_ said:

I personally just can't stand all the camping in WoT. Playing WoWS was, and still is, a breath of fresh air in comparison.

It's amazing what functional armor/evasion will do for you...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
640
[THREE]
Members
2,151 posts
10,937 battles
5 hours ago, treadhead52 said:

Wanted to support the game, but refuse to keep playing catch up because my premium tanks become obsolete.

That what drove me from WoTs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
675 posts
9,378 battles

The games have much in common obviously, but the community is better here and runaway power creep and gold ammo gives WoT an unpleasant pay-to-win stink.

The game was pretty enjoyable in the early years, but I haven't logged in to play tanks in 3-4 years.

  • Cool 1
  • Boring 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
1,326 posts
7,773 battles
7 hours ago, Did_I_hurt_U said:

I don't know I look at CVs like gold ammo....

 

 

Still need to know where to aim, and how is that even comparable ?

 

5 minutes ago, Dr_Powderfinger said:

The games have much in common obviously, but the community is better here and runaway power creep and gold ammo gives WoT an unpleasant pay-to-win stink.

The game was pretty enjoyable in the early years, but I haven't logged in to play tanks in 3-4 years.

I play both, what's pay to win in tanks ? and power creep is all over the place here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
675 posts
9,378 battles
15 minutes ago, khorender_1 said:

 

I play both, what's pay to win in tanks ? and power creep is all over the place here.

Gold ammo. I was a free player in WoT, and whales spamming gold rounds 24/7 gave them a clear advantage in matches over players that weren't spending cash $$$ to buy them.

Power creep does exist in both games, but to me it felt a little more severe in WoT.

Edited by Dr_Powderfinger

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
1,326 posts
7,773 battles
1 minute ago, Dr_Powderfinger said:

Gold ammo. I was a free player in WoT, and whales spamming gold rounds 24/7 gave them a clear advantage over players that weren't spending cash $$$.

Power creep does exist in both games, but to me it felt a little more severe in WoT.

It's only called gold now, it's like here pay for convenience, a tomato is still going to waste a gold round more often than not, yet there are some tanks that you have to use gold, why I hate the power creep.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4,705
[WOLF9]
Wiki Lead
15,133 posts
4,766 battles
14 hours ago, Major_Reeves said:

Wot needs to do away with gold ammo for any hope of saving it.

From what I hear that's obvious to all.  But I bet WG just can't give up the revenue stream.  Thank goodness WoWS didn't go there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6,072
[WOLFG]
Members
31,233 posts
9,589 battles
10 hours ago, skillztowin said:

I believe they are on the same path here. the pace of the game has increased since I joined 3 years ago. 

Yes and no.

Depending on who's playing, if everybody's stationary bowtanking, playing peek-a-boom, and island shooting, the pace is far slower than when I started playing back in OBT.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
4,321 posts
3,255 battles
5 hours ago, Dr_Powderfinger said:

Gold ammo. I was a free player in WoT, and whales spamming gold rounds 24/7 gave them a clear advantage in matches over players that weren't spending cash $$$ to buy them.

Power creep does exist in both games, but to me it felt a little more severe in WoT.

You haven't been able to buy gold ammo for cash or gold for 5-6 years. Only in game credits. Unlike WoWS where you can buy consumables for dubs. Cash buying only happens in WoWS now. 

2 hours ago, iDuckman said:

From what I hear that's obvious to all.  But I bet WG just can't give up the revenue stream.  Thank goodness WoWS didn't go there.

It's a complex problem removing gold ammo. They announced last year they plan to remove it, and have done some player testing even, but haven't worked it out. The problem is that super heavy tanks become god tier when gold ammo is removed. So removing it would entail a complete rebalance of armor for every tank in the game. I don't think revenue stream has anything to do with it, I think that has been retooled to other things.

Although I agree thank goodness it was never introduced to WoWS. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×