You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Compassghost

I found some of my old matchmaker screenshots from 2015

23 comments in this topic

[WOLF9]
Wiki Lead
15,133 posts
4,766 battles

Interesting.  Looks much more realistic, as commanders rarely had the option of cherry-picking their fleets. 

I wonder how it played?

Members
4,358 posts
4,615 battles

Well I guess there's training room for that, but time to bring it back for a limited time mode. With 4x rewards! :cap_win:

[ARGSY]
Members
22,219 posts
16,179 battles

If you faildiv, you can still find out what happens when Langley aircraft meet Atlanta AA. 

[O_O]
[O_O]
Members
5,161 posts
22,715 battles

Yeah, the "good old days"! I notice you were in battle with "The Seeker" in one of his iterations...

Members
992 posts
1,387 battles
2 hours ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

If you faildiv, you can still find out what happens when Langley aircraft meet Atlanta AA. 

I fail-divisioned my Isokaze into a tier 7 game recently. That ship's stealth is so good that none of the enemy team bothered to pop their radar-since they didn't even know I was there! I ended up with a bunch of main battery hits, a solo cap(once again, Isokaze stealth), and 5 plane kills(November Echo Setteseven). I can imagine the enemy team going "Who the :etc_swear: is in that cap?!"

• Cool 1

[WORX]
Members
11,915 posts
19,462 battles

Back when then match itself was the profit engine for WOWS... Now... Power creep  of individual ships, along with shorter battles because of it are the leading profit driver of WOWS...

2016-2017, May have been the golden years for WOWS.

2018 to current, not so much.

• Boring 1

[SYN]
Members
15,878 posts
12,803 battles
3 hours ago, iDuckman said:

Interesting.  Looks much more realistic, as commanders rarely had the option of cherry-picking their fleets. 

I wonder how it played?

it played like crap.

Kawachi in a T6 game, as you can expect, was completely useless.

Being able to 2CV div, broken as all hell

2CV vs 1CV, 2CV vs 0CV, 1CV vs 0CV, broken as hell

1x T8DD matched up against 1x T6DD, if at all, broken as hell

No radar on cruisers, so you were better off bringing IJN cruisers in almost all cases

155mm AFT mogami just plain better than Ibuki

Cleveland god tier AA in T6 that also got more range from AFT.

Atlanta losing 6/8 turrets 8mins into the game

Commanders requiring 15pts to get CE

NC that had a 200° turret traverse on B and X turrets, so it had to go complete broadside to get any use out of the rear turret

Iowa with bugged superstructure that only had about 3000 HP, so it got saturated instantly

Montana with 25mm midsection

etc. etc.

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
28,708 posts
24,985 battles

Here's a screenshot from a Mighty Jingles 2015 video of old Tier VI Cleveland and the Matchmaker.  The game went Live later that same month, so this was Open Beta.

Zckc6KZ.jpg

A Tier III-VI game.

Old Tier VI Cleveland and the lowest tiered ship was a Tier III Kawachi on the red team.

While on a kick for nostalgia, here's an October 2015 video from Mighty Jingles again with old, old version of Midway.  Also the match is being played out in one of the older versions of Islands of Ice.

There were 10 Tirpitz players between both teams.  That ship came out not long after the game went Live and we were still very much in the era of "Tirpocalypse."  Tirpitz was a huge deal because of her sturdiness and gimmick of torps on a BB was unique.  German Battleship Line were a long ways off and would not go Live until late 2016.  Her turtleback armor was in sharp contrast to the squishy IJN & USN BBs... At this time, Tier IX-X USN Battleships still had skyscraper tall citadels.

Old Screenshot below from @Big_Spud from a later era (post-German BB Line release) but still showing the old Citadel for Iowa.

Lxc23L5.jpg&key=6d37757e6bf2e9bb38365646

Half the reason to play High Tier was to Citadel-the-ever-living-**** out of Tier IX-X USN Battleships.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

[SALVO]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
6,100 posts
6,069 battles

You guys ever hear that song by Metallica "Creeping Death"

I was listening to it today and reminded me of the days when Midway had jets. 

I got mega up tiered into tier X with 4 Midway...the sky was black...jets all over the place...me a noob...massive flak bursts...everyone screaming...

"Die! By my hand...I jet acrossed the land...killing helpless noobs!"

As a CV main..that stuff still makes me shiver.

These guys have no clue how good they have it now.

[REVY]
Members
2,557 posts
13,776 battles
23 hours ago, DrHolmes52 said:

A Nagato vs. a Kawachi? 

:Smile_hiding:

the fail divs were 'strong' back then.......

Whom ever you were div'd with, your Div was given the Higher Tiers MM.

The Kawachi Div'd with a T5, he could see up to a T7 in a battle.

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
28,708 posts
24,985 battles
1 hour ago, Lord_Slayer said:

I remember when people Fail Divisioned their Tier II Mikasas into a Tier X game.

It was also funny if a Tier II DD Umikaze that Fail Div'ed into Tier X somehow got past the DD screen and attacked Battleships.  With no help from a CV, another DD, the Battleship was in big, big, BIG Flood Trouble.

17 hours ago, Dr_Venture said:

I got mega up tiered into tier X with 4 Midway...the sky was black...jets all over the place...me a noob...massive flak bursts...everyone screaming...

Things were so radically different in 2015.

RTS CVs were at the peak of their power when the game Launched.  Not sure how it was in earlier Pre-Open Beta versions with CVs, but the Open Beta -> Live -> Current CV Rework era, Carriers were at their peak in Open Beta and until Fall 2015.

IJN CVs, IIRC, starting in Tier VII, they could have Strike Spec with:  0/3/3 (0 Fighters Squads, 3 Torpedo Bomber Squads at 4 planes each, 3 Dive Bomber Squads at 4-5 planes each (5 planes if Air Supremacy Expert trait was taken).

VII Hiryu, VIII Shokaku were like that.  Hiryu's 's "Air Superiority" / AS Spec was: 2/2/2

I remember the argument between CV players:  Strike or Air Superiority Specs, which was better?

I remember being in the Air Superiority crowd:  Wipe the skies clear, defend the team.

I remember the good CV drivers though were "Stryke for Lyfe!"

The problem with Air Superiority Spec was you can indeed clear the skies, do everything perfectly to defend your team from air attacks, but you will still lose if your team doesn't do anything to make use of that, i.e. they potato their way to defeat still.  An AS Spec CV didn't have the Attack Power to affect the surface combat and swing games.

The Strike Spec CV was vulnerable to fighter intercepts, but good CV drivers found ways to get attacks in even against AS Spec CV players.  With all those bombers, they could do big damage and actually affect the surface combat situation.  I remember doing AS Spec USN CVs, Independence, Ranger, and even AS Ryujo... It was easy fighting USN CVs that only had few squads up.  But the real menace were the IJN CVs with 5, 6 or more squads up at the same time.  A good IJN CV player played like an octopus, if that made any sense.  They were constantly probing attacks at different points with multiple squads to keep you off balance with your fighter intercepts, and then they'd come in with a focused strike where your fighters weren't at to defend, and hammer your team.  They keep you off balance and then suddenly their entire strike group pops up near your own CV and nukes you.  Tier VII Ranger dealing with VII Hiryu's 3 TB squads, 3 DB squads couldn't stop that.

Tier V CL Zuiho used to be a War Goddess.

WG did a bunch of nerfs to RTS CVs in Fall 2015, mainly to the Specs.  Hiryu for example lost her Strike Spec and her old AS Spec became her Strike Spec, and some dinky new AS Spec came into the game for her, something like 3/1/1 that nobody ever used :Smile_teethhappy:  VIII Lexington used to have this really nice Stock Spec of 2/1/1 with the big USN squads, the first of the USN CVs with a bonafide Spec to contest the skies and still have decent attack power.  I just made my way to Lexi and then a few days later WG nerfed her hard and sent her 2/1/1 Stock Spec to 1/1/1, just like Tier VI Independence.  Her Strike Spec became 1/1/2 or something like that, and her AS Spec became 2/0/2.

At around this time was when WG implemented Fighter Strafes / Barrages.  When Strafes were added, the disparity in CV player skill grew.  Lord help you if you had the CV player on your team that didn't quite understand how Strafes worked.  Below was a Tier X Hakuryu player that had absolutely no idea what Strafe was, and initiated the thread below complaining about how all his planes were obliterated in seconds by a CV player that did know about and how to use Fighter Strafes.

Newer players never had to endure something like Tier IV Wyoming getting attacked by 3 Torpedo Bomber Squads from a Tier VII Hiryu of 12 TBs cross dropping from 3 different units, or a focused drop from one direction.  There was also the 3 Hiryu HE Dive Bomber squads (12-15 DBs) hanging back for when your Damage Control Party went into Cooldown.  And the only AA Cruisers that could save you were a Tier VI Cleveland or VII Atlanta, *IF* they were in the area.

If that wasn't scary enough, we were regularly seeing 2 CVs per team going into Tier VIII.

There also wasn't any CV MM like there is now.

- You can get into CV games and not have a CV on your team (i.e. why Cleveland and Atlanta were needed).

- You may not be facing same tier CV with your own CV, i.e. a VII Ranger could be fighting a VIII Shokaku.

CVs were real common, and with RTS CV Strike Power.  AA ships like Tier VI Cleveland, VII Atlanta were in big demand.  It used to be when you got into a CV game, people thanked you if you showed up with an AA Cruiser like that.

When the nerfs to CVs hit in Fall 2015, it marked a sharp decline in the CV population.

"When the cat's away, the mice will play."

With CVs and their spotting, strike power having declined due to low population and Radar being extremely rare, DDs became a dominant figure.  Below is an iChase video from February 2016 showcasing Des Moines.  Note that DM did not have Radar.  Atlanta did not have Radar at this time.  This was the era of "Torpedo Soup."

I think this was the Golden Era of IJN Destroyers.  They were at their peak and their torpedoes were not nerfed.  One example is that IJN DD Torps did not have the bad concealment they have now.  They were very dangerous.  We used to see Shima x2 or x3 Divisions all the time, flooding the maps with torpedoes.

But because of this era, that's when WG started taking drastic actions.

- Nerfs hammered the IJN DD Line

- Nerfs to torps, i.e. IJN torps.

- WG fiddled around for a while with drastically altering Battleship Rudder Shift Times, for a while they all had near-Cruiser rudder times, but that didn't last.  This wasn't a PTS only thing... This was actually LIVE Server.

- WG added more Radar into the game.  VII Atlanta, X Des Moines for example never had Radar until sometime in 2016.  When this was done, I remember playing Atlanta and surprising a bunch of DD players.  There were a lot of "When the F*** did Atlanta get RADAR?!?" :Smile_veryhappy:

Also, Atlanta had to get some buffs for her guns, because they used to be very squishy.  Even regular small HE shells were destroying her turrets left and right, never mind Cruiser shells, or a BB shell that didn't hammer the hull, but hits some turret instead.  It wasn't surprising to finish a game as Atlanta and half or more of your turrets were destroyed.

Let's also not forget Stealth Fire was in the game.

So much more, things were so different.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

[SYN]
Members
15,878 posts
12,803 battles
1 hour ago, Lord_Slayer said:

Good old T10 Umikaze that didn't have any issues at that tier.

[S0L0]
[S0L0]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
4,734 posts
7,251 battles

Somewhere in a file at home I have some older than those from alpha.    I know Tedster used to have a post here somewhere  with the history of the development with a ton of screens grabs from Alpha.. i'm not sure if that still exists here or not?   But by my memory this game was about in as good of shape at CBT weekends as any game I've ever tested.   The Lesta crew did a ton of work on this thing from early Alpha to the closed beta tests.  It dropped in a pretty ready to sale condition.        

Members
1,326 posts
7,773 battles
17 hours ago, Dr_Venture said:

Rose colored glasses are why they think it was better.

Members
992 posts
1,387 battles
2 hours ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

"When the F*** did Atlanta get RADAR?!?"

I believe it was the 1940's :Smile_trollface:

[A-I-M]
Members
3,685 posts
23,759 battles

Those days! ROFL while a Umikaze divisioned with a tier 10 circled and torped an enemy Yamato. 

I actually preferred the less "mirror"" MM of olden times, when teams could have a different number of each type of ship, as long as the CV numbers were equal. I actually didnt even mind when the teams didnt have the same number of ships. 

[TMS]
Members
3,640 posts
35,376 battles
10 hours ago, khorender_1 said:

Rose colored glasses are why they think it was better.

No because that was worst case scenario and rare, 4 CVs at T10- was stopped a long time before RTS came to an end..

Unless the player was super unicum and persistent they would hardly ever kill me let alone do any damage to me.. 

[SALVO]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
6,100 posts
6,069 battles

RTS CV was pure cancer....they had mass strikes and erased people at will.

9/10 they would erase the CV first then start going down the list of people to abuse. 

Members
1,326 posts
7,773 battles
9 hours ago, Final8ty said:

No because that was worst case scenario and rare, 4 CVs at T10- was stopped a long time before RTS came to an end..

Unless the player was super unicum and persistent they would hardly ever kill me let alone do any damage to me.. 

RTS was just bad and I'm personally glad it went away along with stealth firing, protected tiers ? not so much.