You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
GEOCHUCKGEO

ANCHORAGE

25 comments in this topic

Members
69 posts
5,961 battles

Just did two cruises with an Anchorage.  In my opinion, it's just a larger DD, but without the speed and agility.  It seems to do better in an arena with multiple islands near each other to afford cover.  As for open water, it's a larger target. It should have an HP repair module as a Cruiser (I use the term lightly, very lightly), but it doesn't.  Torps are rated at 10.5 Km, but you're dead if you can't launch from cover.  It carries a Smoke Module (or is that the boat burning???).  Main Armament is also weak, as is reload time.   I faired better (still was sunk) before I used 9 of the 10 included Captain's Points.  For Camo, they should have provided a Target Pattern.  Maybe I'll get better after I learn how to pilot this Albatross.  I'm a lousy player (I admit that), but this is a barge you should avoid.

• Cool 1
  • Boring 1

Members
1,271 posts
9,952 battles

Don’t have the ship yet so I can’t make a full assessment on her performance, but I would not judge a ship based on two deployments. Some ships take time to really understand how they play. Based on the brief explanation you gave, I’m thinking you are probably overvaluing the torpedoes. Even on torpedo boats like IJN cruisers and KMS cruisers, torpedos are really only used as a last resort. Your bread and butter are your guns. You have 12 203 mm rifles. They may not have the super heavy shells Baltimore has but I’m sure they still hurt just based on volume of fire.

• Cool 1

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
28,903 posts
25,163 battles

Unless you feature super long range torpedoes on a Cruiser, you should not emphasize them to the risk of the ship itself.  Not even IJN CAs with 10km torps do this on a regular basis... Except during kiting (hint * hint).

If you are close enough to drop torpedoes you are in easy shooting range.

If you are close enough to drop torpedoes, it doesn't take much more to spot you in your smoke when you fire your guns.

Cruiser torpedoes are there for safe opportunities, not risking the whole ship trying to feature it the whole time.

There's a bunch of Smoke Cruisers out there... They all need to stand off and use it.  Most especially so with the Smoke CAs and Kutuzov who have longer smoke gun bloom detection ranges.

Anchorage also is more sluggish than the nimbler Baltimore.  If you are caught broadside she's going to be slower in covering it up than Baltimore.

1.  You got 203mm x12 main battery.  Abuse it.

2.  You got Smoke.  If you have to fight in Open Water, use it.

3.  Your shells arc like any other USN Cruiser.  Use islands when you can like other USN Cruisers do and save your Smoke Charges (you don't have many charges).  Be careful on doing this in a CV match, if you are caught stationary by a CV behind an island, particular one with AP Bombs, you're going to get slammed.  Anchorage's AA sucks for a US Cruiser.

4.  You don't have Radar like Cleveland and Baltimore do, so you have even less of a reason to go close range.

Here's some tips from IJN CA Myoko who has worse concealment than Anchorage and still features 9.9km torpedoes instead of Anchorage's 10.5k torps.

1.  Never drop torpedoes while the enemy team can spot you, you're going to angle out, show a bunch of sides, and get blapped by a Battleship.  Doing so is one of the greatest sins an IJN CA player can do.

2.  The best opportunity to fire torpedoes is while kiting / retreating.

3.  Don't be spotted for your launches.  Hold your gunfire if you need to to go "dark" and be back in stealth.

4.  Launch torps out of range while you're still in concealment.  The idea is that pursuing ships will close the distance and eventually put themselves into range of your torps and hopefully get hit while your ship still isn't spotted.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway
  • Cool 4

[-K-]
Members
8,491 posts
14,883 battles

Bottom line, it's basically a Buffalo with smoke and better torpedoes.

If you don't like Buffalo (or US heavy cruisers for that matter), you won't like Anchorage.

• Cool 2
  • Thanks 1

Members
3,669 posts
42,633 battles

Concealment is key. If the torps are long range, then launch them and run away while firing the main guns. Just make sure you are kiting or ducking behind an island. 🤔

You do have to get a feel for the ship.  So a shakedown cruise typically is about 19k games in it. 😏

• Cool 1

[NH]
Members
0 posts

That reload speed on 203mm guns would be fine in 2015 but not now. I can live with the rest. I feel like all its what also dooms the Goliath.

Edited by SecondClassCVCitizen
  • Cool 1

[WOLFG]
Members
11,208 posts
10,466 battles
2 minutes ago, Ace_04 said:

If you don't like Buffalo (or US heavy cruisers for that matter), you won't like Anchorage.

A helluva lot better torpedoes than Buffalo.

Buffalo only has one, and the range sucks.

• Cool 1
  • Funny 4
  • Haha 1

[ARGSY]
Members
22,478 posts
16,356 battles
28 minutes ago, Sovereigndawg said:

Why wouldn't I get it, it's free.

No, it's not. It's 3500 doubloons at the end of a six week (minimum) grind, which is still about 33% of the price of a typical Tier 8 cruiser - or an even bigger discount if you figure that the 10 point commander they throw in would otherwise cost you 1500 dubs in the armoury, plus retraining ECXP. So if the ship part of it is 2000 dubs, that's somewhere between 75% to 80% off, plus there's 100K FXP as part of the grind.

It's still a stupidly good deal.

1 minute ago, DrHolmes52 said:

A helluva lot better torpedoes than Buffalo.

Buffalo only has one, and the range sucks.

:Smile_izmena: ENGAGE THE ENEMY MORE CLOSELY. :Smile_izmena:

• Cool 2

[SIDE]
Members
4,939 posts

Finished Anchor last night. Only one game in it. No idea what it's operational excentricity is yet.

Casual observations.

- Art dept wins again. Unveiling video is nice. Camo is cool.

- Gun trajectory reminds me of Baltimore. 

- Range is 15.8 km. Conceal w camo but no skill is 13.x. 

- Handling and agility feels moderate.

- Reaching for smoke instead of radar in US BB is just wrong. Lol.

Thoughts:

- I think this is a 19 point boat.

- lack of heal sucks seeing tier 10 in a short ranged tin can.

- smoke is key feature but only comes with 2.

- took away heavy shells but reload blows.

- US cruiser with bad AA. Have to give up dfaa for hydro. Need hydro for smoke camping. What the hell?

What I think I'm gonna try w 10 pointer and upgrade s:

- superintendent, conceal

- 350hp/tier, ammo switcheroo, priority target

- rudder shift, maybe more conceal or torp spotting

Probably will take a lot of experimentation...

[GOCRY]
Members
639 posts
11 minutes ago, Ace_04 said:

55 minutes ago, Usedcarjock said:

Don’t have the ship yet so I can’t make a full assessment on her performance, but I would not judge a ship based on two deployments.

I’m going to judge the ship based off zero deployments:  NEXT!

Just not my cup of tea.

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
28,903 posts
25,163 battles
15 minutes ago, SecondClassCVCitizen said:

That reload speed on 203mm guns would be fine in 2015 but not now. I can live with the rest. I feel like all its what also dooms the Goliath.

It's fine for Tier VIII.

Atago has been in the game before launch.  She is also in the same Tier VIII as Anchorage is.  She only has 203mm x10, not x12 like Anchorage does, and her reload is 16 seconds, slower than Anchorage's 15.5 seconds.

CAs Albemarle, Baltimore shoot faster, but they're only x9 gun main batteries.

• Cool 1

[PVE]
Members
10,759 posts
18,518 battles
1 hour ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

No, it's not. It's 3500 doubloons at the end of a six week (minimum) grind, which is still about 33% of the price of a typical Tier 8 cruiser - or an even bigger discount if you figure that the 10 point commander they throw in would otherwise cost you 1500 dubs in the armoury, plus retraining ECXP. So if the ship part of it is 2000 dubs, that's somewhere between 75% to 80% off, plus there's 100K FXP as part of the grind.

I got the doubloons from SC's so it was free and I bought the 3000 doubloon starter pack so I wouldn't have to actually buy more doubloons. So free for me, anyway.

• Boring 1

[ARGSY]
Members
22,478 posts
16,356 battles
1 hour ago, Sovereigndawg said:

I got the doubloons from SC's so it was free and I bought the 3000 doubloon starter pack so I wouldn't have to actually buy more doubloons. So free for me, anyway.

Okay, in THAT case yes it was free, and good call.

[SIDE]
Members
4,939 posts

2 more games in anchor. Did super, conceal, expert mark, ammo swap. Did accel, rudder shift, ammo rack and more turret traverse.

Guns are underwhelming.

Reload really holds back what are already tier 7 203's. 

Got lucky with a torp hit. 15k damage. That's quite a bit in an instant for this boat.

Smoke camping is uncomfortable. It's too big and if you run dfaa instead of hydro.... Yeah. The reload, again, and the lack of punching power, again, frustrates you in a cloud.

Edited by thebigblue

[-TRM-]
[-TRM-]
Members
1,831 posts

Anchorage I picked up from the first day.

Shes ok as a cruiser as long you don't get to easy shooting range of your enemies. Unfortuantely to get in range to do anything means getting into enemy shooting range. She does not have a heal and very few smoke. As such it's already sunk before you get started playing her. But its not too bad.

• Confused 1

[VFW]
Members
1,470 posts
30,681 battles
6 hours ago, Sovereigndawg said:

So you spent money and you say it's free...hmmm...fool's logic.

Edited by TexJapan
  • Cool 1
  • Boring 1
  • Meh 1

Members
136 posts
17,671 battles
7 minutes ago, TexJapan said:

hmm.. free doubloons from super containers.. used said doubloons to buy the starter pack.. Dunno where you got how he spent money out of that..

I did the exact same thing.. I havent spent money on this game in years. Got 4k doubloons from the event SCs.. spent 3k on the starter pack.. So I, like him, paid nothing.

[PVE]
Members
10,759 posts
18,518 battles
1 hour ago, TexJapan said:

Actually what I am saying is that WG supplied the doubloons for me to get the ship for free, and it happened to work out the same way for the last dockyard event, so yes, if I finish the missions for the Anchorage, it will be two ships for free. I do have to give credit to people that I recruited for some of my doubloons that made this possible, that's where the free doubloons came from for the last one.

[NUWES]
Members
3,298 posts
11,887 battles
On 9/15/2020 at 12:19 PM, Ace_04 said:

^This.

To add, its health and durability do well on T8, its poor agility and slow acceleration do not. People also need to understand that it is an enormous cruiser for T8. It is longer than some BBs. It has very good armor for a CA but it is still really, really big and that size makes it hard to maneuver out of the way. It can, however, bully fully half of the BBs on T8 (381mm or smaller guns). It can simply push through their firepower and torp them. 406mm-armed BBs, however, are an enormous problem. It can't repel their firepower at all and it is a big clumsy target. 

It's firepower is substantial even without Baltimore's SHS shells. It basically trades Baltimore's harder hitting and faster-firing shells for more barrels. The reload is slow by USN CA standards, but it is actually not very different from what the Soviet cruisers live with.

The smoke is a nice gimmick for open water bombardment from middle ranges. It has DD-like smoke rather than UK cruiser smoke so it makes a pretty large cloud that can shield allies and make it hard for opponents to blind-fire you in the smoke. The smoke firing penalty from the 203s is considerable so you can't smoke in close unless your are sure there are no DDs close by to spot you. YOu also need to be very aware of radar, particularly SOviet radar as you don't have a lot of range difference between their radar range and your gun range to exploit. 

The torpedoes are actually quite nice. You have  Fletcher-worth of torps (one battery per side). They reload pretty quickly but you probably wont hit much with them. They aren't an offensive weapon, but they are useful for keeping BBs from pushing into you. 

It's biggest weakness is its AA is absolutely dreadful for a USN cruiser. Carriers quite simply are a problem for this ship, particularly AP bombers (if smoke isn't up) or TBs who know how to torp in smoke. German AP rocket planes are a problem too. The ship is enormous for a T8 cruiser like I said earlier so it has a lot of deck space to eat AP bombs and a lot of side to eat AP rockets. It isn't the least agile T8 cruiser (it's better than the SOviets) but it certainly isn't agile, and that coupled with its huge size make it really easy to to hit, especially for aircraft. Base AA is weak and you don't have any DFAA to prop it up either. 

If I remember correctly you can take hydro or a plane. The spotter is most useful all around to boost range.  I tend to prefer the hydro to keep DDs from torping me in smoke. I can't remember if it can take a fighter but I can't imagine doing that compared to taking a spotter or hydro. 

Honestly, I like the ship. It is a nice sidegrade on the USN CA playstyle. It is a substantially worse teamplayer than Baltimore (or Wichita). It has little team utility, but it is quite good soloing in randoms where there isn't a lot of teamplay to start with. However, it divisions well with a Baltimore, nearly any DD or another ship that can provide vision for it and keep enemy DDs from getting into its smoke-firing penalty range. It's also very good in co-op. If they ever bring Cherry BLossom back it should be good in that operation as well.

Ultimately, it's basically a much tougher, but shorter range Kutusov with better shells, smoke and torpedoes, but worse gun ballistics at longer ranges. The shorter range means it has to rely more on its armor to keep it safe than Kutusov does and that can fail spectacularly against BBs with larger shells or against CVs. 

• Cool 2

[REVY]
Members
2,582 posts
13,901 battles

Have it, took it into Co-Op initially, then asymmetric battles.

As has been said, it doesn't turn that great, shells are kind floaty. I didn't actually use the smoke initially. Torps are nice 10km, only issue is everyone's issue: aiming them.

On 9/15/2020 at 2:10 PM, Lampshade_M1A2 said:

Having no heal in such a large ship is going to make life painful.

Yeah, you really have to be situationally aware with this ship or you will either eat a citadel, or watch your healthy be slowly chipped away.

I was trying to treat it more like a US Mogami.

Members
69 posts
5,961 battles

Thanks for the replies.  I still believe WOW should have installed a "Heal HP" option, or allow that option to be added (hint hint). I guess I'm comparing it to the PR, which was a bear to acquire, and I only earned it a couple of days before time was up (but it has a couple of faults also, but not as bad as Alaska. LOL).  But it just doesn't compare to the other VIII Cruisers (German) which I play. This is a game after all, and a good one, so it was fun (and sort of easy, as compared to other ship-builds) adding this ship.   

Edited by GEOCHUCKGEO

[PHD]
Members
247 posts
7,637 battles
4 minutes ago, GEOCHUCKGEO said:

Never sailed mine again after first post.  Just a target, that I wish I didn't have. A waste.

I do not push with this ship as it is an invitation to get sunk. I prefer to use it to support others.