You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
TaxDollarsAtWork

Montana or Venezia as first tier X

21 comments in this topic

[ISLA]
Beta Testers
671 posts
12,636 battles

what do you like more cruiser or BB? I like the monti more my self i do well in her. But i do consider my self a cruiser main

[RDS-A]
Beta Testers
349 posts
8,616 battles

the ships are very different bud just go with the style of play you like more

Members
1,072 posts
14,594 battles
11 minutes ago, TaxDollarsAtWork said:

Unsure which to pick at the moment as I own both T IXs in those lines

If you are not that of a confident BB player I would advise Venezia as you don't have to be right up the front, the role of hunting destroyers is more relaxed and you have the smoke. 
Montana you have to protect your destroyer so that means you have to be closer to you DD as he goes into the cap and that will draw a lot of focus fire. Unless you are 100% confident with your ability to angle and ship positioning as well as knowing when to cut and run Venezia will be the more comfortable ship to play to start with. And it is not like you wont eventually have both either :) 

[TDRB]
Members
5,162 posts
13,743 battles
4 hours ago, TaxDollarsAtWork said:

I have the Montana. It is not a bad ship but its not a favorite either. I think it turns very slowly.

From what I seen in the forum the Venezia is well liked.

But it all comes down to you, what class of ship do you like better?

Beta Testers
102 posts
13,814 battles

As noted elsewhere, it's sort of a matter of what you prefer. The Venezia is IMO a less frustrating ship. Although it shares the vulnerabilities of most cruisers at high tiers, it's guns are reliable, the torps are a nice addition, and the ability to fire while moving in smoke makes it a little more forgiving at longer range engagements than many cruisers. Monty, well, let's just say that IMO it's been powercrept a bunch, it's guns are trollish in their random inaccuracy, and at least for me I'm just as likely to have a disastrous game as a good one in the US BB. Venezia plays more consistently I think.

But they're both ships that you can do well in, like most of the tech tree ships.

[PVE]
Members
10,758 posts
18,518 battles

Get the one that has enough XP to get the next ship first, the other one won't be far behind, basically get both.

[WOLFG]
Members
662 posts
14,136 battles
1 hour ago, STINKWEED_ said:

I have both and Venezia is more fun. Montana to me is quite meh.

This. I have both as well. The Venezia is way more fun, even after the recent nerfs. Still a good ship in my opinion.

The Montana can be exceedingly frustrating at times. Always seems like the shells ricochet or hit for very little damage.

[-TKS-]
Members
271 posts
9,114 battles

if you play in CBs get the venezia, a 7 player team only allows one BB **currently** which means if you are the worst player in your clan for BB you will have to run a rental ship which is not as good as a "owned" ship. So get the cruiser first THEN get whatever the heck you want after.

[KAG]
Members
75 posts
10,805 battles

Venezia is a far better cruiser than Montana is a BB. Venezia is one of the best tier 10 cruisers whereas Montana in its current state is nowhere near one of the best tier 10 battleships. So go with Venezia.

Members
6,918 posts
21,437 battles
On 9/15/2020 at 2:53 AM, TaxDollarsAtWork said:

One of the things you should think about assuming you continue to play the game is how many premium ships could you use that captain in to enhance credits and xp.  There are a few Italian premiums and tons of US premiums. Working on a ship many times becomes less important than working on your account. You will get bored with each ship eventually, we all do, may as well have a captain that can be used in more/multiple ships.

I could put my Montana captain in 24 other ships right now without penalty. (they aren't ideal builds), food for thought.

Members
357 posts
3,727 battles

That makes some sense at first but a lot of USN premiums are not interesting to me because they're either cruisers or destroyers, I can only think of 2 that I may want and I don't intend to pay for them (Ohio & Georgia) so the resource/RP grind will take a long time before I get them they may even end up removed.

As for other USN premiums I've tried the Massachusetts and didn't like it I've no interest in secondary ships which seems to be what most USN premium BBs offer from what I've seen (if they don't have 457mm guns that is)

[BONKS]
Members
227 posts
9,440 battles

Venezia is currently one of the most broken tech tree ships in the game, get her before she gets nerfed even further.

[PSA]
Members
5,113 posts
3,732 battles

Montana is a very good BB ... but her horrible horrible rudder really prevents me from enjoying her as much as I could. I have her, but I just can't bring myself to play her. I swear her rudder is basically powered by a small child running on a treadmill.

[HGE]
Members
55 posts
7,466 battles

I don't have Venezia but working my way up there.  I say you play both line T9s.  Play the other when one still in Battle.  WoWS is a long term game....you'll eventually get all T10 =)

I have the Montana and do enjoy her; she can tank with appropriate ship steering.  The heals help alot.  IRCC highest I tanked was 2.7m potential damage to finish directives (I kinda trashed talked the reds, could've been more but the reds figured out i was baiting them) =)  You can bait shots by showing a bit of broadside then run, kinda like playing IJN CA line.  Speaking of which Venezia gameplay seen on YouTube calls for lots of evasive maneuvers.  It'll help with Montana game play later.