Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Midnitewolf

People never cease to amaze me.

44 comments in this topic

[WIB]
Alpha Tester
3,978 posts
2,472 battles

So I am in this match and for once having a great game.  This Scharnhorst and I are wailing on this Sniop which the Sniop is focusing on the Scharnhorst.  The Scharnhorst is losing pretty badly from my point of view. The Sniop has about 42k health vs 6k for the Scharnhorst.  I land a strong broadside into the Sniop and the Scharnhorst makes it through the enemy return fire.   I line up a shot....BOOM... a huge hit on the Sniop for 18k and he goes down.    Now at this point I am thinking I did pretty good.  My total damage on the Sniop is 38k and I saved the Scharnhorst.  Suddenly I noticed that the Scharnhorst launched torps at me which I barely dodge.  I ask why and he say, "Misclick".   Awfully accurate torps for a misclick if you as me but whatever.   

The match goes on and I start working on killing a New Mexico doing big damage to him.   He has about 12k health left just as I line up my next shot and again.....BOOM... a huge hit and down goes the New Mexico.  I am feeling pretty good because I managed another 31k damage on the New Mexico and had over 100k damage done for the match but........the Scharnhorst launches torps at me AGAIN and starts calling me "Kill Stealer" taking two of his kills.   I go "What heck, I did 38k damage on the Sniop and 31k damage on the New Mexico, I friken EARNED both those kills".  He then goes on to tell me I suck as a player and he did all the work and made it easy for me to get that damage and that I am a bad person, so on and so on.   I am like,  "dude, I did over 100k this match and have 4 kills, I hardly think I suck." but he just goes on and on.

My last comment was, "Wow, guess it doesn't matter if you play good or bad because SOMEONE will find something something to complain about."  I really never ceases to amaze me.

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Banned
16,985 posts
10 minutes ago, Midnitewolf said:

So I am in this match and for once having a great game.  This Scharnhorst and I are wailing on this Sniop which the Sniop is focusing on the Scharnhorst.  The Scharnhorst is losing pretty badly from my point of view. The Sniop has about 42k health vs 6k for the Scharnhorst.  I land a strong broadside into the Sniop and the Scharnhorst makes it through the enemy return fire.   I line up a shot....BOOM... a huge hit on the Sniop for 18k and he goes down.    Now at this point I am thinking I did pretty good.  My total damage on the Sniop is 38k and I saved the Scharnhorst.  Suddenly I noticed that the Scharnhorst launched torps at me which I barely dodge.  I ask why and he say, "Misclick".   Awfully accurate torps for a misclick if you as me but whatever.   

The match goes on and I start working on killing a New Mexico doing big damage to him.   He has about 12k health left just as I line up my next shot and again.....BOOM... a huge hit and down goes the New Mexico.  I am feeling pretty good because I managed another 31k damage on the New Mexico and had over 100k damage done for the match but........the Scharnhorst launches torps at me AGAIN and starts calling me "Kill Stealer" taking two of his kills.   I go "What heck, I did 38k damage on the Sniop and 31k damage on the New Mexico, I friken EARNED both those kills".  He then goes on to tell me I suck as a player and he did all the work and made it easy for me to get that damage and that I am a bad person, so on and so on.   I am like,  "dude, I did over 100k this match and have 4 kills, I hardly think I suck." but he just goes on and on.

My last comment was, "Wow, guess it doesn't matter if you play good or bad because SOMEONE will find something something to complain about."  I really never ceases to amaze me.

Wait till that doof ends up in a match with an actual poacher, who holds fire trying to time kills and actually lets someone else so all the work first... his head will explode. 

• Cool 3

[WORX]
Members
12,051 posts
19,514 battles
6 minutes ago, Midnitewolf said:

The only fault I see on your part that I would suggest... Practice defusing the situation and not take it personal.

Its obvious, not every player in the game will have the same concepts of the match priorities... If it was me, I would remind the player there is no such thing as "kill stealing" in WOWS.

I would also remind you, in WOWS, DMG is more important then kills.. You get more out of how much percentage of DMG you took out rather then kills.

The only benefit kills give that I can think of are economic one for DEV strike or kraken unleashed. 

• Cool 2
  • Haha 1
  • Boring 2
  • Meh 1

[-TRM-]
[-TRM-]
Members
1,807 posts

I generally blacklist such people where availible and make a mental note to also blacklist anything such a player might have online.

You play your game for yourself. Its nice you saved a rattlesnake that turned and bit you. Let it go. Don't engage in toxic behavior that can get you burnt within the game system such as a ban etc which would be such a victory for the rattlesnake.

In the past with team killing that I consider deliberate, I'll turn broadside to the incoming torps and stop. Im dead anyway. The game system will penalize that person soon enough. Remember first time, whoopsie. Let it go. Second time... er.... third time? Thats deliberate enemy action.

In addition run fraps and keep your replay recorded for admins and above if necessary as evidence. Plenty of that to go around these days. Try not to be trapped in calling out a player by name etc because that is the rules here. We do run into bad players and sometimes rattlesnakes as I call them. I simply eliminate them without a thought and do not remember them anymore. Its over with.

With that said, once in a blue moon as in very rarely will I simply eliminate a very bad toxic person from the game myself and take the punishment, whatever it is. They tend to really explode then when having been dished their own medicine and stopped from being able to continue wrecking a dozen or more people's game play for the day. I do what I can before I resort to such a measure.

[PVE]
Members
7,326 posts
23,193 battles
16 minutes ago, Navalpride33 said:

I would also remind you, in WOWS, DMG is more important then kills.. You get more out of how much percentage of DMG you took out rather then kills.

The only benefit kills give that I can think of are economic one for DEV strike or kraken unleashed. 

Are you being sarcastic here?

There's an XP bonus for a kill shot (10 or 15%...forget exact). Not to mention the removal of enemy guns/torps & team score boost.

[WIB]
Alpha Tester
3,978 posts
2,472 battles
6 minutes ago, Navalpride33 said:

The only fault I see on your part that I would suggest... Practice defusing the situation and not take it personal.

Its obvious, not every player in the game will have the same concepts of the match priorities... If it was me, I would remind the player there is no such thing as "kill stealing" in WOWS.

I don't think I did much to antagonize the guy.  I gave him my damage numbers so he understood I did close to 50% of the damage on both ships which can hardly be called kill stealing under any circumstance.  Also the Sniop had 18k health left when I finished him and the New Mexico had like 12k health left when I finished that one so it isn't like I was firing at ships with less than 1000 HPs, both these ships were healthy, dangerous and either could have won against a Scharnhorst with 5k health left.   Also, as we all know, it is just as easy to get a 2-3k damage hit as any sort of big numbers north of 12k on either of these ships so if RNG hadn't been with me, neither might have been my kill or for that matter his kills since others where shooting at them as well.

As for the benefit of Kills, I will say that 9 times out of 10 a kill is more important than just raw damage.  Damage is just damage, it doesn't prevent the enemy from shooting back, killing off your team and potentially winning the match.  Kills shut all that down and give you points.  Just a few game earlier, I left a low health Bismark for my teammates to finish off because it felt like I would be kill stealing since I hadn't even shot at him once so far....he had like 2300 HP.  I look back a few minutes later and both my teammates were dead and the Bismark was sailing off with around 6k health.  He had killed both my teammates and healed.  We lost the match.  Point is, I don't care if the enemy has one point left, it really needs to be taken off the field as quickly as possible by anyone who can do it.  Honestly, if you think about it, making sure an enemy is dead by any means possible is always the best example of supporting your team.  

Anyway, I thought that player was ridiculous because he obviously saw me shooting at those targets, over a span of several minutes each and taking big chunks out of them.   That isn't even the remotest territory of kill stealing and his response, to try to intentionally torps me....twice...was more than a bit childish and over the top.  He may or may not have been farming kills for a directive or some such but  that isn't an excuse for complaining about what was good team play that led to a victory.  To give credit where credit is due, he played an excellent game himself....aside from trying to torp his teammate who was  working toward trying to win the match.  

Anyway, I posted mostly because I found it so humorous and less because I took it personal.  I mean you can't go a match without someone griping at someone for how poorly you play but here I was getting griped at for doing 100k damage,  managing 4 kills and getting the 2nd highest base XP for the match.   Honestly it just came off as silly and somewhat hysterical.

[V_V_V]
Members
859 posts
16,487 battles
24 minutes ago, xHeavy said:

We do run into bad players and sometimes rattlesnakes as I call them.

You do a disservice to rattlesnakes.  Leave it at bad players.

Edited by Charon2018
add text

[TIMT]
Members
1,140 posts
5 minutes ago, IfYouSeeKhaos said:

There's an XP bonus for a kill shot (10 or 15%...forget exact). Not to mention the removal of enemy guns/torps & team score boost. 

That is true, but from a personal/egotistical perspective only that 10/15% counts, but if you get much more if you do most of the damage. Sure, the kill gets you something extra, but not everything by a long stretch.

So for a team the priority is to take guns off the field and get the score, but from a personal perspective it is about damage numbers and relative damage (i.e. percent damage on target). While kill stealing technically exists in this game, it is not an issue since the vast majority of players (at least those I encountered) realize this and don't really care. Yes, a kraken is nice and getting 'only' four kills is a bit frustrating but, come one.

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Banned
16,985 posts

That little bonus is hardly worth altering your play to get it, especially because doing so often means enemy ships live longer anyway. 

Damage is for dough, kills are for show.

[WOLFG]
Members
31,397 posts
9,655 battles
15 minutes ago, xHeavy said:

In addition run fraps and keep your replay recorded for admins and above if necessary as evidence. 

No need, the WoWS replay system is far better. The replays take up very little space, no additional system resources, and can be free cammed, to see things from anywhere on the map at any angle.

Basically, where you make the movie with fraps, and everyone watches the exact same movie, WoWS replays are a script, and you can watch it however you want. (your mods will show up when watching another's replay, I would assume WG has "cheats" they can apply to tell them anything they want to know) like using free cam after you're sunk in a match.

The only downside is that, unlike a video, which you can watch on anything, a WoWS replay can only be watched on something running a current WoWS client. It basically replays the game based on the data, and you can watch it like you would using free cam after being sunk in a match.

[WOLFG]
Members
31,397 posts
9,655 battles
13 minutes ago, IfYouSeeKhaos said:

Not to mention the removal of enemy guns/torps & team score boost.

I don't think that's an issue here.

Whoever ended up killing the ship, that would happen.

[WORX]
Members
12,051 posts
19,514 battles
21 minutes ago, IfYouSeeKhaos said:

Are you being sarcastic here?

I am not. Kills are not that important (the only exceptions I pointed out in my OP). I'll give you a perfect example...

I can go out in a FUBUKI, get 10 torp hits, zero kills, avg DMG will be around 75k-100k in a won match.. I will get more BASE XP and top the boards in base XP,  then say the guy who got 4 kills in the same match.

In a regular battle, a solo cap is worth more then the ships with 2 kills.

Just a few Examples of where kills are not that important.

• Cool 1

[WORX]
Members
12,051 posts
19,514 battles
21 minutes ago, Midnitewolf said:

I don't think I did much to antagonize the guy.  I gave him my damage numbers so he understood I did close to 50% of the damage on both ships which can hardly be called kill stealing under any circumstance.  Also the Sniop had 18k health left when I finished him and the New Mexico had like 12k health left when I finished that one so it isn't like I was firing at ships with less than 1000 HPs, both these ships were healthy, dangerous and either could have won against a Scharnhorst with 5k health left.   Also, as we all know, it is just as easy to get a 2-3k damage hit as any sort of big numbers north of 12k on either of these ships so if RNG hadn't been with me, neither might have been my kill or for that matter his kills since others where shooting at them as well.

As for the benefit of Kills, I will say that 9 times out of 10 a kill is more important than just raw damage.  Damage is just damage, it doesn't prevent the enemy from shooting back, killing off your team and potentially winning the match.  Kills shut all that down and give you points.  Just a few game earlier, I left a low health Bismark for my teammates to finish off because it felt like I would be kill stealing since I hadn't even shot at him once so far....he had like 2300 HP.  I look back a few minutes later and both my teammates were dead and the Bismark was sailing off with around 6k health.  He had killed both my teammates and healed.  We lost the match.  Point is, I don't care if the enemy has one point left, it really needs to be taken off the field as quickly as possible by anyone who can do it.  Honestly, if you think about it, making sure an enemy is dead by any means possible is always the best example of supporting your team.  

Anyway, I thought that player was ridiculous because he obviously saw me shooting at those targets, over a span of several minutes each and taking big chunks out of them.   That isn't even the remotest territory of kill stealing and his response, to try to intentionally torps me....twice...was more than a bit childish and over the top.  He may or may not have been farming kills for a directive or some such but  that isn't an excuse for complaining about what was good team play that led to a victory.  To give credit where credit is due, he played an excellent game himself....aside from trying to torp his teammate who was  working toward trying to win the match.  

Anyway, I posted mostly because I found it so humorous and less because I took it personal.  I mean you can't go a match without someone griping at someone for how poorly you play but here I was getting griped at for doing 100k damage,  managing 4 kills and getting the 2nd highest base XP for the match.   Honestly it just came off as silly and somewhat hysterical.

Very well if you dont want to defuse the situation, then...

GL

• Meh 1

[PVE]
Members
7,326 posts
23,193 battles
3 minutes ago, Skpstr said:

I don't think that's an issue here.

Whoever ended up killing the ship, that would happen.

Not if the Sinop/NM's guns took out the Scharn (after OP let them go for him...if he had) before the Scharn could kill it (18k/12k HP leaves a wide window for RNG to have trolled the Scharns attempt)...& by then the Sinop/NM might not have been in as good of a position for OP to have killed them & they might have escaped to heal up ending in a dead Scharn & 1 red BB still in the fight (as Scharn would have needed to survive after Sinop for NM to take it out) w/the extra points for Scharn going to the red team.

Co-op is the only place I'll let that slide.

In random...if I got the shot (end game in a rolfstomp I'll let somebody try for a Kraken or a mission kill if I don't need it...once. But I'll make sure I don't lose the ability to take the ship out if they fail...& if they do) I take the shot every time.

Dead red guns do no damage.

[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
13,186 posts
33 minutes ago, Charon2018 said:

Did you know, due to excessive hunting of rattlesnakes, the trend is to rattlesnakes without rattles? It seems those which rattle give away their position, hence they get harvested during the big rattlesnake roundups. Hence, those which do not rattle survive to reproduce... mankind, I tell ya. 

• Cool 1

[GOB]
Members
2,521 posts

Another TK post.. this can't be....

I'm just here waiting for the flood of posters that always say they have 16K Plus rounds in and they have never seen this except maybe 2 times in all their years. 

Strange huh? :cap_popcorn:

[-TRM-]
[-TRM-]
Members
1,807 posts
44 minutes ago, Charon2018 said:

=)

I apologize for the term.

Long ago when spouse dumps a can of worms on my table and asked me to please fix it... what a mess.

Eventually I would seperate the ordinary messes to fix and sometimes she or someone will dump buckets of hissing rattlesnakes onto my desk. What a mess. Its unwelcome.

Thats where the rattlesnakes come from. That and a pocket of rocks and stake in case they curled up and nested inside the warm spaces under the hood of the semi out west. There is only two that really get me worried, the southern pacific variety and the diamondback. Those two are something else.

Edited by xHeavy

[SCRUM]
Members
90 posts
6,600 battles
43 minutes ago, Skpstr said:

No need, the WoWS replay system is far better. The replays take up very little space, no additional system resources, and can be free cammed, to see things from anywhere on the map at any angle.

And all this time I thought I had to just there and watch the replays.  Didn't know there was some interaction opportunities.  I'm learning a lot from this forum.

[PVE]
Members
7,326 posts
23,193 battles
44 minutes ago, Navalpride33 said:

I am not. Kills are not that important (the only exceptions I pointed out in my OP). I'll give you a perfect example...

I can go out in a FUBUKI, get 10 torp hits, zero kills, avg DMG will be around 75k-100k in a won match.. I will get more BASE XP and top the boards in base XP,  then say the guy who got 4 kills in the same match.

In a regular battle, a solo cap is worth more then the ships with 2 kills.

Just a few Examples of where kills are not that important.

Winning doesn't affect either of those 2 scenarios (damage done from torps in battle or position on team as all players get same 50% bonus for win).

Dev strikes only give achievements & no bonus...economic or otherwise.

Kraken just gets you signals & an achievement as does 1st blood...also no economic bonus in & of themselves (the actions required to get them give XP & creds but no more of either is added on for the achievements).

Your examples are too vague...assuming everybody w/2 or 4 kills only takes the last few points off of them...there is the option to do lots of damage to a ship & kill it off before it can kill you or your teammates (such as OP did in his OP).

A solo cap is about equivalent to a solo kill (top tier ship in battle) from what I have heard so it might be worth more than 2 kills if only scratch damage kills but odds are the 2 kills will be worth more.

Just farming damage often doesn't lead to wins if red ships are not removed from the battle field & it takes less farming to make more personal XP & credits by winning if you're killing ships off so kills are more important that damage.

Edited by IfYouSeeKhaos

[WOLFG]
Members
662 posts
14,131 battles

I just got this pm after a battle, lol.  Admittedly, I messed up, wasn't paying attention to the score and time because I was in my first game in Randoms with the Roon, so was concentrating.  I should have stopped firing and went dark. Was still funny, this PM. Btw... anyone know what a kmjoher is? And I reported and blacklisted him.

Snap1.jpg

[WORX]
Members
12,051 posts
19,514 battles
7 minutes ago, IfYouSeeKhaos said:

Dev strikes only give achievements & no bonus...economic or otherwise.

I disagree with you there Khoas...

That is why DEV strike or honerary or herioc achievements are disabled for Co-op mod.. They do have certain bonuses when earned.

[HINON]
[HINON]
Members
8,444 posts
12,402 battles

ah the old "youre a kill stealer" i always tell them the same thing "Show me where on that ship it said only you could kill it" and that either shuts them up or they try to TK me and make themselves look like the fool, either way, i come out on top in those conversations

[V_V_V]
Members
859 posts
16,487 battles
59 minutes ago, Herr_Reitz said:

Did you know, due to excessive hunting of rattlesnakes, the trend is to rattlesnakes without rattles? It seems those which rattle give away their position, hence they get harvested during the big rattlesnake roundups. Hence, those which do not rattle survive to reproduce... mankind, I tell ya. 

Myth, believe me I know.

Edited by Charon2018
add text

[WIB]
Alpha Tester
3,978 posts
2,472 battles
1 hour ago, shinytrashcan said:

That is true, but from a personal/egotistical perspective only that 10/15% counts, but if you get much more if you do most of the damage. Sure, the kill gets you something extra, but not everything by a long stretch.

So for a team the priority is to take guns off the field and get the score, but from a personal perspective it is about damage numbers and relative damage (i.e. percent damage on target). While kill stealing technically exists in this game, it is not an issue since the vast majority of players (at least those I encountered) realize this and don't really care. Yes, a kraken is nice and getting 'only' four kills is a bit frustrating but, come one.

Oh I don't care about getting a Kraken if that was what you were refering too. Sure it is a nice bonus and makes you feel good but at the end of the day, the biggest boost to your reward is WINNING.  Seriously, I don't much care how the team gets there as long as the team wins.  In fact there is nothing worse than doing great in a match only to see it end in defeat. 

I guess that is another reason I was so surprised by this guy in the Scharnhorst's actions.  In the first place, I honestly don't feel he would have survived against the Sniop if I hadn't came along when I did and if I have to be honest, he and I were about the only ones on our team doing anything and since we were working in close proximity to each other that should have been obvious. I know I recognized that he was playing well.....except for the attempted friendly torp runs against me that is.   I honestly felt he and I had some good teamwork going on there but I guess he felt he was such a great player he could take out two nearly full health BBs with his 5k health Scharnhorst by himself.  Who knows maybe he could but at the end of the day we won and both he and I had a fantastic game taking both the number one and two spots on our team <shrug>.

Sign in to follow this