You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
John370

Potential Damage Directive - suggestions?

15 comments in this topic

[BNRJ]
Members
140 posts
5,662 battles

I'm in for a tough slog trying to complete the potential damage directive.  I'm playing mostly Tallinn, as my other options are Furutaka or Gallissoniere. Problem is I suck at playing Tallinn (27% win rate through 45 matches) so the losses are a bit depressing.  Any suggestions as to how to grind this directive? Playing coops in lower tier ships just didn't seem to accumulate the potential damage very quickly.

[GWG]
[GWG]
Supertester
27,479 posts
14,823 battles

If you can do it in co-op grab a high tier BB, preferably secondary spec'd but not absolutely necessary and yolo in and only use your main guns on ships that can torpedo you, it will rack up quickly.

• Meh 1

[CO-OP]
Members
2,305 posts
26,802 battles

I did this with mostly German cruisers in co-op (Prinz Eugen, Hindenburg, and Siegfried.)  Not the "suggested" cruisers, but I found this more engaging, typical game yielding 500K-1 million potential damage.  Basically looking for solid armor and heals.  If you have Atago, this could be a good option.  Just sail forward as fast as you can, and use your WASD hax to angle incoming fire.  Hydro when you detect a DD within 5kms, so you can do your torpedo beats

Edited by HamptonRoads

[WORX]
Members
11,951 posts
19,486 battles
1 hour ago, John370 said:

I'm in for a tough slog trying to complete the potential damage directive.  I'm playing mostly Tallinn, as my other options are Furutaka or Gallissoniere. Problem is I suck at playing Tallinn (27% win rate through 45 matches) so the losses are a bit depressing.  Any suggestions as to how to grind this directive? Playing coops in lower tier ships just didn't seem to accumulate the potential damage very quickly.

This is simple, pick a BB and take it to co-op, fire at the first ship that is visible and in range...

During the match, position yourself to where they're firing all guns to you.. While you only show them your bow...

With this tactic depending on tier and duration of Co-op battle.. You can expect 1 million PD to 3 Million PD..

[CO-OP]
Members
2,305 posts
26,802 battles

If you can do it in co-op grab a high tier BB, preferably secondary spec'd but not absolutely necessary and yolo in and only use your main guns on ships that can torpedo you, it will rack up quickly.

1 minute ago, Navalpride33 said:

This is simple, pick a BB and take it to co-op, fire at the first ship that is visible and in range...

During the match, position yourself to where they're firing all guns to you.. While you only show them your bow...

With this tactic depending on tier and duration of Co-op battle.. You can expect 1 million PD to 3 Million PD..

I believe that this is the dockyard mission that requires 17.5 million potential damage with Italian, French, Japanese, and Russian cruisers, OR 36 million potential damage in any cruisers.

Edited by HamptonRoads

[DOG]
Members
714 posts
12,767 battles
1 minute ago, HamptonRoads said:

I believe that this is the dockyard mission that requires 17.5 million potential damage with Italian, French, Japanese, and Russian cruisers, OR 36 million potential damage in any cruisers.

My feeling is that always choose (if you have the nation ships) the lower value and just grind out those ships

[CO-OP]
Members
2,305 posts
26,802 battles
Just now, dashtardly said:

My feeling is that always choose (if you have the nation ships) the lower value and just grind out those ships

Ordinarily I would concur, but in this case I had more fun with the German ships.  As I noted earlier, I could have run the Atago, Atago B, Zao.

[GWG]
[GWG]
Supertester
27,479 posts
14,823 battles
7 minutes ago, HamptonRoads said:

A high tier German cruiser in co-op would be best then.

[WORX]
Members
11,951 posts
19,486 battles
10 minutes ago, HamptonRoads said:

Even better, use the same tactic but with a cruiser not a BB.

Cruisers have better gun range then BBs.

[INTEL]
Members
3,365 posts
18,364 battles

You want people to shoot at you and you want to minimize getting hit.  Something fast and/or something maneuverable.  Stay at range.

The ships I chose are:

• Podvoisky for low tier
  • Atago for mid tier
  • Mogador and Kleber for high tier
  • Yoshino and Azuma

Those or ships like them are best in Random as the bots in Co-Op tend to shoot at the nearer targets.

Another good idea now is Asymmetric Battle.  Those battles go fast and they tend to be closer in.  Battleships with hydro work best here as there's a good chance to detect a lot of torps.  I can't remember if that task allows this mode...

[ARGSY]
Members
22,308 posts
16,251 battles
4 hours ago, John370 said:

I'm in for a tough slog trying to complete the potential damage directive. 

We're talking about the cruiser mission in Directive 2, right? Do you have the option of bypassing this task by using the battleship and/or destroyer directive options? You have four tasks that do not need a specific ship, and you only need complete two of the four remaining to progress to the next directive. If you have BB and destroyer at Tier 5 or above, that's far easier than potential damage.

If you must do PD, do it in Tallinn and do it in co-op. Draw attention to yourself by firing your guns at nothing in particular; get shot at a lot. The enemy salvoes and torpedoes whose near-misses give you the PD are far more weighty the higher the tier, and you will accumulate it faster. 

Edited by Ensign_Cthulhu
  • Thanks 1

[WOLFG]
Members
11,139 posts
10,380 battles

As has been noted.  High tier German are good.  High tier Russian heavies are better.

I only have the Azuma.  Sometimes you rack up a million, other times a Yama shows up.

[WOLF3]
Members
28,780 posts
25,041 battles
1 hour ago, DrHolmes52 said:

As has been noted.  High tier German are good.  High tier Russian heavies are better.

I only have the Azuma.  Sometimes you rack up a million, other times a Yama shows up.

Ah yes, 460mm / 510mm making  a game of it :Smile_trollface: