You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Hapa_Fodder

Ranked Battles: the Eighteenth Season

51 comments in this topic

[WG]
Administrator, Developers, Community Department, WG Staff, In AlfaTesters
4,323 posts
14,736 battles

A new Ranked Battles Season for Tier X ships. Read the details in our article!

Read it on the portal

• Meh 3

[PVE]
Members
4,841 posts
21,246 battles

OW.....!  Tier X?   Alas, another season to sit out.  No point at this level for average players.  Losing every match gets old........   Why don't we try something "new" and outside of gimmicks and meta driven sales........?  I know, it doesn't sell carriers.....or, some meta Tier X everyone will use.   So much for inclusion.

Carriers will drive the conclusion of every match.....period, game over man......     Then add that Radar eliminates DD's.......    So, what is this to be but an extension of the Carrier Sales Event of 2020 !! 

I am concerned that there appears to be only one (1) Carrier allowed per team????  It might be fun to watch 3x3 Tier X Carriers, whom can't fight it out try to decide who wins in a secondary shoot out  -  after all the surface ships are gone in the first 5 minutes.....

I am looking forward to Poland and Greenland's new Carriers........!!!    I guess you can tell I'm a bit disappointed.

• Cool 1
  • Boring 11
  • Meh 1

[KMS]
[KMS]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
3,684 posts
12,288 battles

DD players should just sit out the first week while the CVs rank out...

• Cool 1
  • Haha 1

[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
5,589 posts
21,091 battles

Sigh, Tier X. Same tier as CB, CVs, and no regrind opportunities, the worst of all worlds.

• Cool 2

[--K--]
Members
5,400 posts
18,154 battles

Sigh. Another season of regular Rank and its Tier X....WG you really need to shake the box when it comes to Rank, Because its not even worth playing.

Rank has out stayed its welcome. The Rank Progression system is garbage and I suspect it is what causes most of the toxic behavior and player burn out. There are too many stars needed to be won and stars are easier lost than won. 

Rank Sprint 3v3 was some of the most fun I've had in WoWs since the CV rework failure. The battles were quick and fun. The Progression system, while still punishing with the stupid star system, didn't seem overly burdensome because there were not so many stars needed to win and we had SAFE RANKS. 

Safe Ranks protect against bad streaks of terrible team mates that no matter how hard you try refuse to be carried to victory. 

I also noticed there wasn't a Rank 17 season wrap-up post on the News page. Did you forget to tally the numbers or are those numbers not flattering to Rank? Because I suspect a season of Regular Rank that contains Carriers is going to be even more Unpopular than normal. And the Norm for Rank has been declining player numbers since Season 7 of Rank. 

What Rank needs is a redesign of the Progression system Not another season of the same worn out Rank that more and more players are ignoring or avoiding. 

In Closing, I want to make something very Clear. I Enjoy the 7v7 same ship tier battles of Rank. Playing the early seasons of Rank forced me to become a better player. But the Progression system of Rank with the lack of Safe Ranks to protect the players progress, the number of stars needed to Rank out, The Amount of Real Time a player needs to invest in this game mode and the general toxic behavior of players that infest the Rank Game mode is a massive determinant to health of the Rank game mode.  

• Cool 3
  • Thanks 6
  • Meh 1

[GRAVE]
Members
1,414 posts
19,927 battles

T10, CVs, Epicenter on Tears of the Cruisers, Arms Race Sleeping Giant and Warrior’s Path, normal Sea of Fortune. At least there is some variety in what game mode you might see.

[W_H_S]
Members
625 posts
17,557 battles

@RedSeaBear don't forget this, this season "North, Sea of Fortune, and Greece in Domination mode; Sleeping Giant and Warrior's Path in Arms Race mode; and Tears of the Desert in Epicenter mode"

Having 3 different game modes, I think it's going to cause some players to have difficulty with ship picks. I think we are going to see a lot of less than ideal ships on our teams, just making the struggle harder or a a guaranteed loss in certain game modes. Toss CV in on top and yeah, not going to be fun.   

[PVE]
Members
10,759 posts
18,518 battles

I will probably play some Ranked just for some of the missions sake, not because I want to, just because WG can't seem to fit PVE into their missions. I want steel ships but not so bad that I want to play the ludicrous ranked system.

[TDR]
[TDR]
Members
1,057 posts
11,213 battles

I’m fine with t10. We have several game modes non t10 lately so it is being switched up. Ranked sprints, CB, and asym battles have all been non t10

[WOLFC]
Members
3,200 posts

It may feel like it's "always Tier 10", but if you take a look back, Ranked 8-10 Seasons were a mixture of 3 tiers (including 10). 

Earlier Seasons were all (or mostly) lower tiers (if I remember correctly).

And starting with Season 11, when I started playing Ranked again after a long break ... it's been Tier 10 half of the time,  TIers 8-9 the other half.  

11th Tier IX 6 v 6
12th Tier X 7 v 7
13th Tier IX 6 v 6
14th Tier X 8 v 8
15th Tier X 7 v 7
16th Tier VIII 7 v 7
17th Tier VIII 7 v 7
18th Tier X 8 v 8

[W_H_S]
Members
625 posts
17,557 battles
2 minutes ago, DocWalker said:

It may feel like it's "always Tier 10", but if you take a look back, Ranked 8-10 Seasons were a mixture of 3 tiers (including 10).

I think the "Always T10" is more of a general term referring to competitive not just Ranked. I think that feeling would fade a bit if they made Clan Battles and Ranked different tiers as they typically follow each other or overlap. 

• Cool 1

[TWFT]
Members
1,424 posts
39,224 battles

WG could care less what we want, hope or need, all they care about is how much they make off the player base.  I suspect that even though the player numbers are down in regards to Ranked play, there are more noob players trowing money at there computers trying to get that OP T10 ship to be able to rank out.

Ranked used to be fun, but obviously WG wasn't making as much off of it as they thought they could so they started adding stars to get us to grind more.

As for the rewards.......totally not worth the grind.

• Cool 1

[CAAT]
Members
607 posts
4,436 battles

Let's get some lower tier Ranked Battles ingame, WG! Imagine a Tier 5 Ranked Battles? That would actually be pretty great! Or Tier 6, or Tier 7. Try to include more people overall : )

• Cool 2

[WOLFC]
Members
3,200 posts
1 hour ago, Pete_Darling said:

I think the "Always T10" is more of a general term referring to competitive not just Ranked. I think that feeling would fade a bit if they made Clan Battles and Ranked different tiers as they typically follow each other or overlap. 

That's a good point and a valid one ... I don't do clan battles but it does seem like it's pretty much Tier 10 from anecdotal "memory".

[HOLE]
Members
185 posts
2,195 battles

Personally I don't have any issues with whatever ship people choose to play. I would like to see both Ranked and Clan Battles change tier every new season all the way down to tier one. Get rid of the save a star program to force people to be apart of the team rather than focus on staying in the top spot to ride the winning team coat tail to the top. Make players earn their way up by team play period. This would allow new players to enjoy more features in the game its self.

Hell even make a cool down period that a ship can be used in each battles. I'm sure some wont like that fact they may have to wait a few hours to play the ship they like but that would make either sit and wait or push through with ships they may not be that great at. Its changes up things. People do it all the time in the other mode they play.

[HOLE]
Members
185 posts
2,195 battles
1 hour ago, SaiIor_Moon said:

Let's get some lower tier Ranked Battles ingame, WG! Imagine a Tier 5 Ranked Battles? That would actually be pretty great! Or Tier 6, or Tier 7. Try to include more people overall : )

I agree, they need to allow even new players access to these modes including Clan battles.

• Cool 1

[SALVO]
Members
25,892 posts
28,263 battles
4 hours ago, Pete_Darling said:

@RedSeaBear don't forget this, this season "North, Sea of Fortune, and Greece in Domination mode; Sleeping Giant and Warrior's Path in Arms Race mode; and Tears of the Desert in Epicenter mode"

Having 3 different game modes, I think it's going to cause some players to have difficulty with ship picks. I think we are going to see a lot of less than ideal ships on our teams, just making the struggle harder or a a guaranteed loss in certain game modes. Toss CV in on top and yeah, not going to be fun.   

I think that having 3 different BATTLE modes will make Ranked more challenging, because you don't know what to expect when you hit the battle button. 

• Confused 1

[W_H_S]
Members
625 posts
17,557 battles

So early Ranked's were T6 to R10 then T8 - that was fine with me being a noob. I played T6 until I hit T8, got stuck and stopped playing. There is more than one way they could do this and be more enjoyable for the majority of the player base. Sometimes it's like they take ideas out of a hat, don't get me wrong NA only has so much influence, but they really need to review what players are asking for and players need to have constructive criticism. Last few seasons, I didn't play to R1 not because I couldn't it was because I was bored with with it.   

[W_H_S]
Members
625 posts
17,557 battles
Just now, Crucis said:

I think that having 3 different BATTLE modes will make Ranked more challenging, because you don't know what to expect when you hit the battle button. 

I agree but the 3 battle modes and CV is a prescription for disaster - example, Moskva can handle domination and epicenter but will struggle with arms race, fine. Toss in a Ricthofen and you have a dead Moskva that is useless not by his choice or play  

[KMS]
[KMS]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
3,684 posts
12,288 battles
5 hours ago, RedSeaBear said:

Sigh. Another season of regular Rank and its Tier X....WG you really need to shake the box when it comes to Rank, Because its not even worth playing.

Rank has out stayed its welcome. The Rank Progression system is garbage and I suspect it is what causes most of the toxic behavior and player burn out. There are too many stars needed to be won and stars are easier lost than won. 

Rank Sprint 3v3 was some of the most fun I've had in WoWs since the CV rework failure. The battles were quick and fun. The Progression system, while still punishing with the stupid star system, didn't seem overly burdensome because there were not so many stars needed to win and we had SAFE RANKS. 

Safe Ranks protect against bad streaks of terrible team mates that no matter how hard you try refuse to be carried to victory. 

I also noticed there wasn't a Rank 17 season wrap-up post on the News page. Did you forget to tally the numbers or are those numbers not flattering to Rank? Because I suspect a season of Regular Rank that contains Carriers is going to be even more Unpopular than normal. And the Norm for Rank has been declining player numbers since Season 7 of Rank. 

What Rank needs is a redesign of the Progression system Not another season of the same worn out Rank that more and more players are ignoring or avoiding. 

In Closing, I want to make something very Clear. I Enjoy the 7v7 same ship tier battles of Rank. Playing the early seasons of Rank forced me to become a better player. But the Progression system of Rank with the lack of Safe Ranks to protect the players progress, the number of stars needed to Rank out, The Amount of Real Time a player needs to invest in this game mode and the general toxic behavior of players that infest the Rank Game mode is a massive determinant to health of the Rank game mode.  

Does the test server need to test out EXP earn to save stars? If the losing team plays hard enough they can save their star.  

Or you need a certain number of stars to get to the rank base of EXP.  Drop the whole progress bar with safe spots.  Add more stars per rank.  don't know. The losing team won't get as much exp but also won't lose a star.  Also Ranks 25-1, adjust stars, etc. Possible Example below:

Rank Stars Per Rank EXP needed

15 2 5000
14 2 5000
13 3 7500
12 3 7500
11 3 7500
10 3 7500
9 4 10000
8 4 10000
7 4 10000
6 4 10000
5 4 10000