Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
SpitHawtFiyah

Playing for fun

67 comments in this topic

[UNC]
Members
852 posts
6,196 battles

I can only guess, as it doesn't bother me - my assumption is most of us play this game for some kind of fun or enjoyment.  My best guess is that there is a subset of the playerbase who thinks that people who play for 'fun' are all bad and don't care about winning games.  Which may be true in some cases, but I think it unfair to assume that of all players who 'play for fun'.  I wouldn't worry too much about what other players think. 

Edited by Uncle_Lou
  • Cool 1

[-CFI-]
Members
360 posts
3,762 battles
25 minutes ago, SpitHawtFiyah said:

Why do I get so much in game hate when I say in chat I play this game for fun? 

Because most people who say they play this game for fun use that statement as a justification for being quite terrible at the game. It's like someone who doesn't know how the pieces move in chess saying, "I play for fun!" They aren't actually playing the game. They're just derping around.

• Cool 16
  • Boring 2
  • Meh 3

[NDA]
Supertester, Alpha Tester, Beta Testers
5,664 posts
4,488 battles

It's hard to explain without some context. Are you responding to someone or to something happening in-game?

[1984]
Members
4,450 posts
21,484 battles
1 hour ago, SpitHawtFiyah said:

Because stat monkeys play this game for stats.

• Cool 4
  • Funny 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Boring 4

[-K-]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
7,466 posts
9,751 battles
3 hours ago, SpitHawtFiyah said:

Because people are silly. If you aren't playing this game for fun, then what the heck are you doing it for?

• Cool 4

[WORX]
Members
11,915 posts
19,462 battles
3 hours ago, SpitHawtFiyah said:

Miscommunication on their part.. Some see that and assume the worst play ever will result.

Members
2,440 posts
5,404 battles
3 hours ago, monpetitloup said:

Because stat monkeys play this game for stats.

I play the game to win. Isn’t that the point? When you have a “play to have fun” player playing a DD on your team and there is 1 DD per side. And all you see is him charging in, throwing torps, then getting blapped. Yeah people are going to be pissed. We just lost our spotting while other team has a major leg up.

so their playing to have fun, just made the game for everyone else crap.

• Cool 1

[-TKS-]
Members
1,265 posts
9,834 battles

Probably taking bait for this but eh, it’s still early in the AM for me.

I am only really irked about this topic when someone uses it as an excuse to ignore learning from their poor play. Instead of trying to improve and say: “Maybe next time I should use AP on that broadside cruiser,” they say “Oh it’s whatever I’m having fun right! My guns go pew pew fire started yay!” Something I always remind myself is to not look for perfection, but rather the desire to get better. That’s why I try, emphasis on try, to first give players advice on how to improve. It’s when they ignore said advice and say “I’m having fun man,” I find myself growing irritated.

• Cool 1

Members
3,637 posts
42,218 battles
5 hours ago, SpitHawtFiyah said:

Because being a ray of sunshine or the comic relief is uncalled for in a game of salty players.

They just can't stand the thought of someone being happy.

Phooey!

Just pay them no mind.

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1

[FOXEH]
Banned
14,364 posts
20,266 battles
6 hours ago, SpitHawtFiyah said:

Because competitive players "HAVE" to win and they're afraid you won't measure up to their foaming at the mouth, do or die attitude. Playing for fun? VERBOTEN!!

• Funny 1
  • Thanks 1

[WPORT]
Members
7,089 posts
12,062 battles
6 hours ago, SpitHawtFiyah said:

1 hour ago, Usedcarjock said:

Probably taking bait for this but eh, it’s still early in the AM for me.

I am only really irked about this topic when someone uses it as an excuse to ignore learning from their poor play. Instead of trying to improve and say: “Maybe next time I should use AP on that broadside cruiser,” they say “Oh it’s whatever I’m having fun right! My guns go pew pew fire started yay!” Something I always remind myself is to not look for perfection, but rather the desire to get better. That’s why I try, emphasis on try, to first give players advice on how to improve. It’s when they ignore said advice and say “I’m having fun man,” I find myself growing irritated.

We all start somewhere.

The players that genuinely want to learn and get better are the players that I think should be taught how to get better and encouraged to play well.

The players that are not interested in improving their game and derive laughs from friendly-fire incidents (among other behaviors of poor sportsmanship) are the ones I'm happy to report and let WOWs be the referee of.

Most people play this game for fun, myself included.
And the old adage applies - "Everyone wants the same thing, which is their own way".

• Thanks 1

[-TKS-]
Members
1,265 posts
9,834 battles
1 minute ago, Wolfswetpaws said:

We all start somewhere.

The players that genuinely want to learn and get better are the players that I think should be taught how to get better and encouraged to play well.

The players that are not interested in improving their game and derive laughs from friendly-fire incidents (among other behaviors of poor sportsmanship) are the ones I'm happy to report and let WOWs be the referee of.

Most people play this game for fun, myself included.
And the old adage applies - "Everyone wants the same thing, which is their own way".

The problem is there’s really no way to “know” outside of actively tracking the player’s stats about if they are improving. You have people with 10k+ games that are sitting at 42% WR. I know people can play like that and enjoy it but for me personally it prickles me if I see myself performing that poorly.

[FOXEH]
Banned
14,364 posts
20,266 battles
1 hour ago, Legio_X_ said:

I play the game to win. Isn’t that the point? When you have a “play to have fun” player playing a DD on your team and there is 1 DD per side. And all you see is him charging in, throwing torps, then getting blapped. Yeah people are going to be pissed. We just lost our spotting while other team has a major leg up.

YOU should fix YOUR problems YOURSELF!

• Thanks 1

[WPORT]
Members
7,089 posts
12,062 battles
29 minutes ago, Usedcarjock said:

The problem is there’s really no way to “know” outside of actively tracking the player’s stats about if they are improving. You have people with 10k+ games that are sitting at 42% WR. I know people can play like that and enjoy it but for me personally it prickles me if I see myself performing that poorly.

The win-rate in Randoms is half of what it is in Co-op.  The two modes involve very different play styles.  

Co-op, Scenario Operations, Ranked Battles, 1-vs.-1 Ranked sprint, Asymmetric battles and random battles all offer opportunity for learning and improvement.

But trying to use random-battle methods in a Co-op game will leave a player sitting near the spawning point when the match is over because experienced Co-op players have sunk all the red ships before the dedicated random player has had the chance to camp behind an island with their battleship.  :cap_tea:

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

[-TKS-]
Members
1,265 posts
9,834 battles
6 minutes ago, Wolfswetpaws said:

The win-rate in Randoms is half of what it is in Co-op.  The two modes involve very different play styles.  

Co-op, Scenario Operations, Ranked Battles, 1-vs.-1 Ranked sprint, Asymmetric battles and random battles all offer opportunity for learning and improvement.

But trying to use random-battle methods in a Co-op game will leave a player sitting near the spawning point when the match is over because experienced Co-op players have sunk all the red ships before the dedicated random player has had the chance to camp behind an island with their battleship.  :cap_tea:

I mean I play coop completely different than randoms: Yolo brawl. And I love coop for that.

I just think randoms you need to have a bit of accountability is all.

[WPORT]
Members
7,089 posts
12,062 battles
5 minutes ago, Usedcarjock said:

I mean I play coop completely different than randoms: Yolo brawl. And I love coop for that.

I just think randoms you need to have a bit of accountability is all.

In my experience, Ranked battles tend to be where people bring their "A-game".

I've seen poor sportsmanship in all the other battle modes.

It the encouragement of good play, even & especially for those who are new-but-trying-their-best, that I hope to foster.

[-TKS-]
Members
1,265 posts
9,834 battles
5 minutes ago, Wolfswetpaws said:

In my experience, Ranked battles tend to be where people bring their "A-game".

I've seen poor sportsmanship in all the other battle modes.

It the encouragement of good play, even & especially for those who are new-but-trying-their-best, that I hope to foster.

If that’s the case wouldn’t it be better to have ranked be a continuously active feature then?

• Cool 1

[-AF-]
Beta Testers
736 posts
9,715 battles
2 hours ago, Legio_X_ said:

The point of a game is to play, have fun, and be entertained.  
If the only way to have fun for some of you is to win, you are setting yourself up for a bad time 40-60% of the time.  No wonder some are so grouchy or have tantrums where they throw their equipment!  :Smile_teethhappy:

• Cool 1

[WPORT]
Members
7,089 posts
12,062 battles
1 minute ago, Usedcarjock said:

If that’s the case wouldn’t it be better to have ranked be a continuously active feature then?

Aside from the very nature of ranked battles being the limited time period?

After the 1-vs.-1 Ranked Sprint, several people wanted it to become a permanently available battle mode.  Hasn't happened, yet.

Asymmetric is a nice change of pace, though.

[TDRB]
Members
5,162 posts
13,743 battles
12 hours ago, SpitHawtFiyah said:

I had a similar experience back when I played randoms. One very vocal group wanted to eliminate 60% or more of the player base from randoms. Yes, it was all based your stats being at a certain level. Of course it would be impossible for any new player to enjoy randoms. They would be banned from the git-go, no stats.

To them playing for "fun" meant you did not play to win. Yes, they bowed & worshiped the win rate stat as if it their god.

Edited by kgh52

[-TKS-]
Members
1,265 posts
9,834 battles
Just now, Wolfswetpaws said:

Aside from the very nature of ranked battles being the limited time period?

After the 1-vs.-1 Ranked Sprint, several people wanted it to become a permanently available battle mode.  Hasn't happened, yet.

Asymmetric is a nice change of pace, though.

That’s the thing though. If randoms aren’t a place where you should be expected to know what you’re doing, do the people who want to win and improve just wait for ranked to come around once a month?

[-TKS-]
Members
1,265 posts
9,834 battles
1 minute ago, kgh52 said:

I had a similar experience back when I played randoms. One very vocal group wanted to eliminate 60% or more of the player base from randoms. Yes, it was all based your stats being at a certain level. Of course it would be impossible for any knew player to enjoy randoms. They would be banned from the git-go, no stats.

To them playing form "fun" meant you did not play to win. Yes, they bowed & worshiped the win rate stat as if it their god.

See there’s a middle ground here between having fun and knowing what you’re doing, being a sweat lord obsessed with stats and win rates, and being someone who doesn’t care at all about throwing a game they just want to push LMB. That middle ground is where I think randoms should be, but it resides in a pool of players that inherit all aspects of the player base. In a way: random. The issue is you have all sides pulling for what THEY want. That’s why you see people yelling at others for having fun.

Honestly, as someone who resides in the fringes of sweat lord, all I ask of my teammates in randoms is understanding their role and the ship they play to the barest extent. 

• Cool 1

[WPORT]
Members
7,089 posts
12,062 battles
2 minutes ago, Usedcarjock said:

That’s the thing though. If randoms aren’t a place where you should be expected to know what you’re doing, do the people who want to win and improve just wait for ranked to come around once a month?

3 minutes ago, kgh52 said:

I had a similar experience back when I played randoms. One very vocal group wanted to eliminate 60% or more of the player base from randoms. Yes, it was all based your stats being at a certain level. Of course it would be impossible for any knew player to enjoy randoms. They would be banned from the git-go, no stats.

To them playing form "fun" meant you did not play to win. Yes, they bowed & worshiped the win rate stat as if it their god.

I think @kgh52 makes a relevant point.
And I think the people who worship win-rates could benefit from learning how to relax or find another hobby or "getting a life".  :Smile_glasses:
But, it seems that for some people it *is* "their life".  So, we have a spectrum of human behavior.

One can play to win while also playing for fun and not getting too upset about getting sunk by worthy adversaries who played well, I feel.
Learn from the experience, celebrate the demonstration of good play and/or laugh at the silly hijinks that may have happened during the match.  :cap_tea:

• Cool 1

Sign in to follow this