You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
shinytrashcan

Which tech tree ships could/should you skip?

52 comments in this topic

[TIMT]
Members
1,122 posts
4,481 battles

Title says it all.

Background: After a short break I am back at the game and thought about whether to grind a new line or finish a line I got to T7/8/9 etc. I got 410k fXP, I could save it for a ship though there don't seem many ships around worth the 1M fXP to me (already got Alaska). For example I would consider skipping Seattle on my way to Worcester, which would cost me about 280k fxp with all modules etc. or I could start the french cruisers.

This questions is obviously not meant to be answered for the new players as you really should not rush up the tree, or skip the experience needed to get to T10. However, when grinding a line after grinding many others, which ship do you think is the one to skip?

[SIDE]
Members
4,939 posts

Huge HUGE  H. U. G. E     can of worms .

My opinion on skips:

Low tier Brit dds

Drake

Russian light cruisers

Russian armored cruisers

Russian Khab line

Mid tier german DDs

Low tier US BBs

Low and mid tier US cruisers

Pan Asian dds

• Cool 1
  • Confused 1

[PVE]
Members
1,125 posts
9,566 battles

A lot of T9s feel like they are meant to be skipped.

Seattle is a good ship to skip. It's not necessarily a bad ship, it's just a totally forgettable experience. Roon is also forgettable for me and I really wanted to like it.

I wish I had skipped FDG.

I skipped Buffalo because I had unlocked a free camo for Des Moines and was impatient, I regret nothing.

I enjoyed Saint Louis, Iowa, Alsace, and Izumo.

If you don't have Akizuki/Kitakaze yet and like gunboat DDs you might want to skip to Akizuki. I really enjoyed Akizuki and enjoy Harugumo. But I could not stand the T7 and below.

Edited by MasterDiggs

[TIMT]
Members
1,122 posts
4,481 battles
1 minute ago, MasterDiggs said:

If you don't have Akizuki/Kitakaze yet and like gunboat DDs you might want to skip to Akizuki. I really enjoyed Akizuki and enjoy Harugumo. But I could not stand the T7 and below.

Yeah I went through that already and skipped Shira after like 2 games. Love Kitakaze, actually don't mind not upgrading to Harugumo (never checked XP again, might have already enough to unlock it).

Just had a game in Seattle, she kinda feels like a side/downgrade to Cleveland. She is even more flimsy, though not more maneuverable. Has a heal to compensate, but firing arcs are trash. I will see, every bit of XP I make in her lessens the amount of fXP though.

Most of the other US CA/CLs enjoyed so far, Dallas and Buffalo being the low points. I have the Roon unlocked, though not purchased as I wasn't sure whether to continue that line or another and ultimately I went with Seattle. And yes, mid tier USN BBs are really not great with their slow speed.

Would love to hear what others have to say, though.

[WORX]
Members
11,964 posts
19,495 battles

That depends, its a loaded question...

If you like one sided battles because of power creep, avoid high tier ( tier 8 and above) BBs.

If you hate HE/spam... Avoid US cruisers from tier 7 and above.

If you like flying around while "medicated" Then CVs of any tier are your ships to avoid.

If you like everything and anything WOWS even with its flawed mentioned above... Then play every ship in the game... It builds Character

[POP]
Members
4,749 posts
12,813 battles

Personally, I would never use free xp to completely skip a ship or jump up a line, but rather save it for free xp ships (Alaska’s definitely one of the best of the current bunch, but there see others that are still strong and very fun). However, if you do want to use free xp on tech tree ships, I’d use it to skip stock module grinds rather than skip the grind to the next ship. My only exception would be in situations like the current patch, to get another ship for extra rewards (say, another t10 for an additional SC) if you’re getting close to the end of the relevant patch and won’t be able to finish the remaining grind before the next patch. 

There are some ships that you just dont don’t like playing (and it varies player to player), and if you’re really starting to dread playing it, that could be another reason to skip it. But if the thing you don’t like is a ‘line characteristic,’ just skipping to the next ship may not alleviate that dislike. 

Out of the ships currently in game, the ones I’d consider skipping (for experienced players, who don’t necessarily need to learn the skill the ship’s supposed to teach) include the low tier US standards (they start to get good albeit still slow at NY, and become a lot of fun at NC), some of the lower tier Italian cruisers (although the only one I didn’t really like was Nino Brixio so far), and potentially ships like Drake. If you understand the playstyle needed for Hindenburg, Roon could be another potential skip just because of the uncomfortable turret layout. Izumo was always a popular ‘skip this ship’ recommendation, but after the various buffs over the years it’s a lot better than it was, and very good if you understand it’s playstyle. 

Most people will suggest ships like Buffalo and Seattle as well, although personally I loved both of them and enjoyed those two grinds (although outside of snowflake events I haven’t really played either since getting DM and Worcester just because I have other ships at t9 that I’m either grinding or want to play more). 

[ARC]
Members
1,047 posts
11,350 battles

The question is really subjective. Because which ship to skip seems to be as varied as the number of veteran players in the game.

For example, some said the Russian DD line was forgettable (and worth to skip), in my case (and I know I am not the only one) the line is still playable and fun. Right now her only low point seems to be Khaba (oh the irony xD) and Minsk. But some can't adjust their tactics to that particular line's characteristics.

But if you want my list, then here it goes:

-European DDs (yes, really, I'm serious)

-Italian CAs (lower tiers mostly)

-British CAs (boring as a spoiled series)

-American BBs (lower tiers mostly)

-Japanese torpedo DDs (if you like to go pew-pew in your DDs)

I seem to do fine in all other lines. I do fine in the japanese line too, but I can recognise they are not the most fun line out there. I enjoyed Colorado and Zara, for instance, but I don't want anything to do with New Mexico and Trento. Even lines like Japanese and German BBs I found fault with them before, but I clicked with the ships I hated after grinding everything (like FdG and Izumo), so I don't hate those lines anymore.

As you see, this question can get almost any answer, as I don't think I will find someone that hates the EU DD line for now. My experience will probably change once I grind the lines I am lacking right now, because I still want to grind them all.

[TIMT]
Members
1,122 posts
4,481 battles
1 hour ago, MidnightPhoenix07 said:

However, if you do want to use free xp on tech tree ships, I’d use it to skip stock module grinds rather than skip the grind to the next ship.

This is usually how I use it, as most ships with stock modules are just a pure downgrade.

So far from the few games in Seattle I have to say she can be fun, but it is the mindless kind of 'park and shoot until you explode' kind of fun. Don't see myself carrying anything in this thing. Don't know if Worcester will be that much different though, so I am holding off on fXP'ing her. Don't have the credits right now anyway.

[BOTES]
Members
2,241 posts
8,584 battles

Most of the ships I would skip are in trees not worth grinding, thus there is no point to skip them. The others are low tiers that you progress through quickly, so skipping would be a waste. The only one I can think of right now that's bad enough to skip but gets good later on is Nagato. The guns are fantastic, but this is a ship from 2015 that has not been balanced since then. It has a whopping 15km conceal with camo and CE and that is simply unacceptable at T7. You will get torched every single game, you have paper armor like Mutsu except you're a tier higher, and you need a 17pt commander to make this ship work. If you're not that good at the game yet and you want Yamato, I would strongly recommend skipping Nagato and going straight to Amagi.

Edited by awildseaking

[1984]
Members
4,469 posts
21,506 battles

All non dd tier 9 ships are worth skipping. They are always matched with tier 10 and you lose money in them so there’s no point. Seattle is particularly bad.

[X-PN]
Members
611 posts
7,243 battles
54 minutes ago, monpetitloup said:

All non dd tier 9 ships are worth skipping. They are always matched with tier 10 and you lose money in them so there’s no point. Seattle is particularly bad.

soyuz is fine, Izumo is fine, Brindisi is fine, donskoi used to be fine pre ifhe nerf, 

Edited by Ado1fCarsar

[1984]
Members
4,469 posts
21,506 battles
6 minutes ago, Ado1fCarsar said:

soyuz is fine, Izumo is fine, Brindisi is fine, donskoi used to be fine pre ifhe nerf, 

Sure, but how do they compare to kremlin, yamato, venezia, and whichever replaced moskva i think its nevsky?

it’s not necessarily the ships themselves so much as they are just in the way of the tier 10s, and are always matched aginst them.

The only argument for even keeping them is snowflakes, which wg introduced because they saw everyone was either skipping these ships or  selling them as soon as researching the tier 10.

[X-PN]
Members
611 posts
7,243 battles
2 minutes ago, monpetitloup said:

Sure, but how do they compare to kremlin, yamato, venezia, and whichever replaced moskva i think its nevsky?

it’s not necessarily the ships themselves so much as they are just in the way of the tier 10s, and are always matched aginst them.

The only argument for even keeping them is snowflakes, which wg introduced because they saw everyone was either skipping these ships or  selling them as soon as researching the tier 10.

I think Soyuz and Izumo competes just fine in T10. I just grinded through Izumo couple weeks ago and it was a breeze. Brindisi I recall being decent, not that much weaker than Venezia. pre ifhe nerf donskoi was quite enjoyable to me, much more so than Nevsky. Nevsky is by far the worst T10 I own, not even close. The dispersion is absolutely atrocious. 

[4HIM]
Members
3,243 posts
14,309 battles

Buffalo Chip.  I didn't FXP past it, but should have.  And stock, that thing is just awful.  Without the range upgrade, the MB range is pathetic.  The reload is downright bad.  Shells are good if you catch a broadside.  The Des Memes is a joy to play.  And it's ten times better than that awful Buffalo.  

[GOCRY]
Members
639 posts

I recently FXP’ed Seattle, mostly because I didn’t want to spend the credits to buy the ship and modules.  Seems I’m always short on credits, but FXP is pretty easy to come by.  If you’ve already bought the ship, then just grind it.

I FXP’ed Colorado back in the day, but that was because I was grinding base XP for the ARP missions and figured I would earn more in the New Mexico than in the Colorado.  By the time I was done, I had enough to skip Colorado.

I got impatient with (pre-buff) Yorck and Buffalo and finished their grinds with FXP.  I wasn’t enjoying either ship.

In each of these cases, I didn’t feel like grinding the ship would add to my skillset. Either they played very similar to another ship (Colorado/New Mexico) or completely different (Yorck/Hipper - again, pre-buff Yorck).  But in general, I recommend grinding up the line.

[-K-]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
7,499 posts
9,777 battles

Whatever the T8 IKEA DD is, don't even remember the name. Ship's horrid. 

Members
2,440 posts
5,404 battles

I grinded through schors (so?) T7 russian light cruiser to finally get to Tallin and good lord that thing can’t take a hit. Even at max range just takes one random [edited]she’ll (even when angled) to deal massive citadel damage to you. 

Edited by Legio_X_

Members
1,268 posts
9,896 battles

In general the concensus is you shouldn’t skip a ship as for the most part it will only help you improve your ability in the ship line. However, there is a caveat to this as some ships are so frustrating to play through you’ll have no choice but to skip it. Such examples include imo: Monarch, Lion, Izumo until recently, Buffalo, Seattle, and Drake. Keep in mind these are ships in my experience seem lackluster or a roadblock towards the “pinnacle” ship in the line.

[PHD]
Members
247 posts
7,539 battles
14 minutes ago, Usedcarjock said:

In general the concensus is you shouldn’t skip a ship as for the most part it will only help you improve your ability in the ship line. However, there is a caveat to this as some ships are so frustrating to play through you’ll have no choice but to skip it. Such examples include imo: Monarch, Lion, Izumo until recently, Buffalo, Seattle, and Drake. Keep in mind these are ships in my experience seem lackluster or a roadblock towards the “pinnacle” ship in the line.

It seems that some many T9 ships cost more FXP when fully upgraded than T10 ships. Makes it more tempting to skip them.

[DRAH]
Members
391 posts
9,888 battles

I would recommend skipping stinkers lower in the lines. Tier 5 has some particularly notable examples including: Emerald, Hawkins, New York, Acasta, Mutsuki the PoS with 2 120mm guns on a 10 second reload etc.

Nothing about these ships can't be quickly learned on the Tier 6 ship and in most cases the Tier 6 is at least an OK ship with many being notably solid such as the Leander or New Mexico which still have all the line features but a whole load less suck. As a bonus you don't need to invest a mountain of Free xp to get past these pain points either.

Edited by Ellyh

Members
1,268 posts
9,896 battles
3 minutes ago, WM1957 said:

It seems that some many T9 ships cost more FXP when fully upgraded than T10 ships. Makes it more tempting to skip them.

In some respects, yes. However there are plenty of Tier IX gems that are on par or outshine their Tier X successor, such as Kitakaze, Fletcher, Daring, Roon, Saint Louis, and Osterland (I think she’s tier IX? I’m too sleepy it’s too early haha).

[-NOM-]
Members
16 posts
2,777 battles
7 minutes ago, Usedcarjock said:

In some respects, yes. However there are plenty of Tier IX gems that are on par or outshine their Tier X successor, such as Kitakaze, Fletcher, Daring, Roon, Saint Louis, and Osterland (I think she’s tier IX? I’m too sleepy it’s too early haha).

Pretty sure Daring is a Tier X, lol.

Jutland is pretty great at T9, though; compared to the Daring, it loses out on gunpower but has a pretty good edge on concealment.

Members
1,268 posts
9,896 battles
1 minute ago, DD_440 said:

Pretty sure Daring is a Tier X, lol.

Jutland is pretty great at T9, though; compared to the Daring, it loses out on gunpower but has a pretty good edge on concealment.

Bugger, meant Jutland. And yeah she has slightly less firepower in terms of reload but she more than makes up for it in her tier. She will probably be my go to in Tier IX ranked from now on.

[WPORT]
Members
7,159 posts
12,178 battles
7 hours ago, shinytrashcan said:

Title says it all.

Background: After a short break I am back at the game and thought about whether to grind a new line or finish a line I got to T7/8/9 etc. I got 410k fXP, I could save it for a ship though there don't seem many ships around worth the 1M fXP to me (already got Alaska). For example I would consider skipping Seattle on my way to Worcester, which would cost me about 280k fxp with all modules etc. or I could start the french cruisers.

This questions is obviously not meant to be answered for the new players as you really should not rush up the tree, or skip the experience needed to get to T10. However, when grinding a line after grinding many others, which ship do you think is the one to skip?

Everyone has their preferences and selection criteria.

I've simply not purchased USN Cruisers beyond Omaha, because they're not equipped with torpedoes. 
(I have the Atlanta, and used it in the recent Summer event and gained the palm-tree camo for it, because it has torpedoes.)

I skipped the Farragut and went straight to the Mahan in the American DD tech-tree line.

You mentioned an opportunity to start the French cruisers, in your post.  Personally, I like them and especially enjoy playing the Friant.  
While they don't have the repair-party (heal) of the British cruisers, they're often a little faster and have a decent selection of consumables at mid-to-higher tiers (including the re-load boost for main guns).
They're cruisers, so brawling with battleships is dicey, at best.  Experienced players should be able to use good positioning and marksmanship to get the most from their guns & torpedoes, though.