Sign in to follow this  
Timo_Greenwold

Forest fire smoke

10 comments in this topic

Members
351 posts
12,098 battles

I had smoke from forest fire cover the city before, but this time it is bad. It also causes a big drop in temperature.

[TSF]
Beta Testers
409 posts
14,945 battles

It's bad here in Folsom, CA (Just East of Sacramento). I'm just staying inside, and can still smell it. When it's over I'll need to change the HVAC filters 6 months early.

Members
3,664 posts
42,448 battles

Inhaling even a small amount of the smoke can cause long term respiratory problems.

Just Google common respiratory illnesses of firefighters and you will see a list. Going outside in the smoke will get you any one of those illnesses.

It just doesn't manifest itself until the damage to the lungs is permanent.

Keep everyone inside and start changing filters. Get them delivered if possible and if you can manage it, get an air purifier that is HEPA rated. It has a chemical filter and a paper element one. The chemical will help with chemicals that were burned as property during the fires and the paper removes the particulates.

Smoke of this type can trigger asthma, allergies, and shock. Children and pets are most vulnerable because of their heart rate and metabolism. Any chemicals or excessive carbon monoxide will harm them.

Look for symptoms. Headaches and nausea for starters. But consult your doctor for other possible symptoms.

[V_V_V]
Members
848 posts
16,444 battles
1 hour ago, SteelRain_Rifleman said:

Inhaling even a small amount of the smoke can cause long term respiratory problems.

Another incentive to just wear the mask.

[V_V_V]
Members
848 posts
16,444 battles
2 hours ago, CaptnAndy said:

It's bad here in Folsom, CA (Just East of Sacramento). I'm just staying inside, and can still smell it. When it's over I'll need to change the HVAC filters 6 months early.

Change your car's AC filter as well.

[NEMO]
Members
829 posts
3,004 battles

Its smokey here in Alberta too the CTV in Calgary said it supposed o be clear tomorrow as wind from the pacific comes in, I hope so, America has the fires so they need to keep the smoke down there, I've been coughing all day

Members
351 posts
12,098 battles

I went camping, that smoke travelled far to the North. When I went high up in the mountains, it was there, higher than the clouds.

Sign in to follow this