Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
dimzzy

Marceau opinions

38 comments in this topic

[-1]
Members
758 posts
10,602 battles

I'm deciding which coal ship to buy and Marceau is one of the candidates. After looking at wows numbers I've found this interesting detail: for the top 50% players Marceau is doing fine, but as you start looking at top 10% and 5% it actually climbs up by WR and for the top 5% players it's #1 among similar TX DDs beating Smaland by a fraction of percent!

https://na.wows-numbers.com/ship/4074649424,Marceau/

What I'm reading here is that this ship is hard to play but if you can master it the experience should be quite rewarding. My only concern is that these stats are probably skewed by divisions and maybe Marceau shines when teamed up with another DD that gives Marceau smokes. So what's your experience playing this ship solo compared to other DDs?

[KRAK]
Members
3,718 posts
21,738 battles
11 minutes ago, dimzzy said:

I'm deciding which coal ship to buy and Marceau is one of the candidates. After looking at wows numbers I've found this interesting detail: for the top 50% players Marceau is doing fine, but as you start looking at top 10% and 5% it actually climbs up by WR and for the top 5% players it's #1 among similar TX DDs beating Smaland by a fraction of percent!

https://na.wows-numbers.com/ship/4074649424,Marceau/

What I'm reading here is that this ship is hard to play but if you can master it the experience should be quite rewarding. My only concern is that these stats are probably skewed by divisions and maybe Marceau shines when teamed up with another DD that gives Marceau smokes. So what's your experience playing this ship solo compared to other DDs?

Marceau has zero need for smoke it is a run and gun ship and plays the same as Khaba and Kleber.

You need to stay at range and maneuver heavily trying to attack distracted ships without their guns facing your direction if possible.  You can also use island cover since the guns have a high arc.

• Cool 1

[DOG]
Members
1,217 posts
12,624 battles

I've had one for a couple of months, but have not played it all that much.  For what it's worth, my win rate is at 50% in it, but that's only 8 out of 16 games.  It has lower caliber guns than Kleber, and the shell arcs are a bit floaty, but it has a higher rate of fire to compensate, without having to resort to a reload booster.  You won't get much mileage from the torpedoes.  Outside of YOLO range, maybe 5-6 km, they are too slow and spread too much due to having 2 triple racks per side.  But it has enough speed to make the occasional YOLO run under the right conditions.  The AA is pretty decent too.  Not quite Halland levels of CV tears, but not bad.  And combined with it's speed, which makes a bit harder to hit, that makes it an unattractive target for CV players, even with a lack of smoke.  I suspect you are probably correct that at least some of it's win rate is due to being in divisions with other ships  that complement its strengths and compensate for its weaknesses.

• Cool 1

[SPTR]
Members
27,211 posts
17,166 battles

Marceau is a ambush gunboat against other DDs, but can be traditional gunboat to larger ships at range.

Marceau hands down has 1, if not, the best HE dpm of all tier 10 DDs only offset by how ridiculous floaty they are.

[INTEL]
Members
3,363 posts
18,331 battles

I concur with what everyone else has said.  Summary:

• Colbert floaty shells that are best used on slow targets at range and can devastate DDs at close range
  • Good AA
  • Weak torps
  • Decent speed
  • High skill ceiling ship that relies on player awareness, positioning and skill.  Maintain that for a full battle and you will do exceedingly well.  Make a mistake or two and you'll have a very short life.  Very very fun if you can do the former.
  • Cool 1

[WOLFG]
Members
662 posts
14,083 battles

Admittedly, I mostly use mine in co-op to finish daily mission wins when I'm not having luck in Randoms, but it's a fun ship.

Nothing like zooming around at 55kts, blasting DDs to smithereens. The AP up close can wreck cruisers. Got 7 citadels on a Moskva bot in a matter of seconds. The torps aren't bad either. 

I'm sure it'd be a great DD for PvP as well if someone was really good at DDs unlike me. I think it was coal well spent.

Edit: Forgot to mention that I got mine because I already had all the other coal ships at the time except the Marceau and Salem, and got the Marceau at the time since I already have the Des Moines. Only have the Salem to get now, lol.

Edited by Colonel_Potter
  • Cool 1
  • Meh 1

[-1]
Members
758 posts
10,602 battles
3 minutes ago, Colonel_Potter said:

Admittedly, I mostly use mine in co-op to finish daily mission wins when I'm not having luck in Randoms, but it's a fun ship.

Nothing like zooming around at 55kts, blasting DDs to smithereens. The AP up close can wreck cruisers. Got 7 citadels on a Moskva bot in a matter of seconds. The torps aren't bad either. 

I'm sure it'd be a great DD for PvP as well if someone was really good at DDs unlike me. I think it was coal well spent.

Sounds more like Kleber )))

[1-]
Members
46 posts
11,680 battles

It was fun to play, but hard to do well in. The arcs were such a pain to deal with.  If you do well with guns like that then it will be a blast.  Otherwise I suggest you look elsewhere.

Members
107 posts
23,906 battles

Hi.  I wanted marceau, but at the last minute I bought Thunderer because I needed a tier X BB.  And Thunderer is no question an excellent BB.   Kleber, marceau's tech tree cousin is superior to marceau.  So I passed on marceau and would only have bought it if I HAD to.  Good luck.

Members
22 posts
1,063 battles
42 minutes ago, M1A1HA said:

Hi.  I wanted marceau, but at the last minute I bought Thunderer because I needed a tier X BB.  And Thunderer is no question an excellent BB.   Kleber, marceau's tech tree cousin is superior to marceau.  So I passed on marceau and would only have bought it if I HAD to.  Good luck.

I wouldn't say Kleber is superior...  play style just a little different from each other.  Kleber stays at range and  plays like a real fast  ultra light cruiser.  Marceau, do to it's better concealment, can do more DD type things, like capping, spotting , and maybe the occasional stealth torping. 

I have thoroughly enjoyed might, BUT I wish they had not nerfed the ballistics.  It was a totally unnecessary last minute change.  What are the other ships on your short list?

Members
1,797 posts
5,635 battles

I go back and forth on what my first ship for coal should be...just cannot seem to choose. Marceau sounds like it could be fun...but, only if it plays more like Tashkent and less like Khaba.

[CVLUL]
WoWS Community Contributors
3,463 posts
13,640 battles

I've only played the ship solo off the top of my head.  Its a beast either way.  I just dropped this video the other day playing my Marceau, maybe it helps you make an informed decision.

• Cool 4

[WOLF4]
Members
394 posts
17,277 battles

I have the ship and I think it is fun. It is a high skilled ship though I dont have the high skill. I tried pure gunboat 7.8 detection, but I found out I like it better with concealment with 7.0. I like to play the front line at times. With 7.8 just constantly out spotted by the the other dds. The torps are not the best as mentioned above.

[-1]
Members
758 posts
10,602 battles
14 hours ago, Destroyer_KuroshioKai said:

I've only played the ship solo off the top of my head.  Its a beast either way.  I just dropped this video the other day playing my Marceau, maybe it helps you make an informed decision.

I considered Marceau after watching this; the question is what happened in other games we didn't see )))

[CVLUL]
WoWS Community Contributors
3,463 posts
13,640 battles
3 hours ago, dimzzy said:

I considered Marceau after watching this; the question is what happened in other games we didn't see )))

Its true I have limited number of games, but shes been consistent.  I farm better in her than Kleber.

image.thumb.png.9b5d172b2cc0fec89f3f8d14d5e05c27.png

• Cool 1

[WAP]
Members
473 posts
24,305 battles

Tech tree Kleber is better, save for something else, If you want a AA DD then go for Halland, Marceau has great AA, not as good as Halland.  Marceau you need to make striking runs against ships, seems to take more damage than a Kleber.  I'd say pass and get something else.

[ARCO]
Members
918 posts
1,324 battles

Fun ship but requires skill, bravery and temper. It is very esasy to overextend and get into trouble.

Floaty shells make it difficult to aim over 8km. But if you get close to the enemy DD you simply shred it.

[KRAK]
Members
3,718 posts
21,738 battles
55 minutes ago, Patosentado said:

Fun ship but requires skill, bravery and temper. It is very esasy to overextend and get into trouble.

Floaty shells make it difficult to aim over 8km. But if you get close to the enemy DD you simply shred it.

The only DD without floaty shells is the Russian DD line every other DD has shell float nearly identical to Marceau.

[KAG]
Members
75 posts
10,651 battles
On 9/14/2020 at 5:04 PM, Vaffu said:

The only DD without floaty shells is the Russian DD line every other DD has shell float nearly identical to Marceau.

This is not true. Marceau's guns are identical to those found on Colbert, which is notorious for having absurdly long flight times. However, Marceau's flight times were adjusted to be even worse. The only destroyers in the game with similarly bad flight times are the American and Pan Asian destroyers. All of the rest have superior shells.

[KRAK]
Members
3,718 posts
21,738 battles
4 hours ago, MitoUchiha said:

This is not true. Marceau's guns are identical to those found on Colbert, which is notorious for having absurdly long flight times. However, Marceau's flight times were adjusted to be even worse. The only destroyers in the game with similarly bad flight times are the American and Pan Asian destroyers. All of the rest have superior shells.

You're wrong. Daring, Harugumo, Halland, Gearing, Shimakaze all have shell trajectory very similar to Marceau high floaty shells. Every DD line aside from Russian DD except maybe German DD since I own none of those and do not know firsthand have this trait as I said.

[KAG]
Members
75 posts
10,651 battles
1 minute ago, Vaffu said:

You're wrong. Daring, Harugumo, Halland, Gearing, Shimakaze all have shell trajectory very similar to Marceau high floaty shells. Every DD line aside from Russian DD except maybe German DD since I own none of those and do not know firsthand have this trait as I said.

Sorry, but you're objectively wrong. Go to the WoWs fitting tool site and look at the shell trajectories of each destroyer at tier 10. The only ones worse than Marceau are Gearing and Yueyang (which use the same guns). All the other destroyers are much better. They might have high arcs in some cases (like Daring), but even Daring is significantly better in terms of air drag than Marceau is.

• Cool 1

Sign in to follow this