You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Ziero_

Option to turn off uptier/downtier in exchange for longer wait time.

Option for same tier matches only. A feature players could easily opt-in or out of.  

23 members have voted

1. 1. Should this feature be implemented?

• Yes.
    • No.

10 comments in this topic

[-C0M-]
Members
1 post
3,433 battles

Pretty much the title. I was wondering today (after some especially rough matches) why this isn't already an option. Something we could toggle, to opt-in or out of. Simple as it sounds, turn it on, and it would allow quicker matchmaking via the current method of (up to) +2/-2 tier matches. Again, having the option ON would be for the current matchmaker. Turning the option OFF would allow for even/same tier matches ONLY, but at the cost of a longer wait time. Nothing else would change. This doesn't even have to be a "Oh let's enable this now" type of thing. I think WG could put it in as a test feature, run it for a month or two, and see what the data shows. If it the data shows that players are interested in the feature, then it stays permanently, if not, then it goes away. I see no direct downside to this feature, as it would basically stop the downtier 'seal clubbing' and put players on an even ground.

• Meh 2

[SALVO]
Members
25,816 posts
28,151 battles

Learning to be productive when bottom tier teaches you how to be a better player.  I see no good reason to change this aspect of MM.

• Cool 1

[WOLFC]
Members
2,184 posts
10,547 battles
33 minutes ago, Ziero_ said:

I see no direct downside to this feature, as it would basically stop the downtier 'seal clubbing' and put players on an even ground.

“Seal clubbing” is experienced players with high point captains dropping down to lower tiers to prey on newer, less experienced players. It has nothing to do with matchmaking.

I have never felt “seal clubbed” when I was bottom tier. -2 tier ships are perfectly capable of contributing to the battle, you just need to alter your play accordingly.

Members
3,664 posts
42,372 battles

"I ain't got all day." 

Just find some friends with really deadly skills as death dealers. MM is going to screw you over regardless if equal or not. Might as well share in the betrayal and die like epic warriors so they sing your songs and tell tales of when you used your shirt to plug a hole in your ship and had your ship waifu cry on your death bed. 

Such tales are legendary among players.

I once thought I saw Elvis.

Members
3,664 posts
42,372 battles
3 minutes ago, Nevermore135 said:

“Seal clubbing” is experienced players with high point captains dropping down to lower tiers to prey on newer, less experienced players. It has nothing to do with matchmaking.

I have never felt “seal clubbed” when I was bottom tier. -2 tier ships are perfectly capable of contributing to the battle, you just need to alter your play accordingly.

Actually, seal clubbing is when you repeatedly go low tier with no event on. The motives and ideas behind it are well documented in the salty underworld. 

If a player goes in on a requested ship, a simple outing, or just a fun thingy, then it is not seal clubbing. 

Of course, the day a streamer goes down to tier 4 and clubs several players while laughing like Dr Evil, telling jokes about the player, taunting in chat, and basically being a D---K; well, that will be a very sad day indeed. 

But I never see that case actually. I see high end clan players at low tiers, but they are mostly congenial if not "busy". Because this event making them play co-op is extremely taxing their mindset. 

But at least it is easy missions. And once you are done with one, you are out of that tier entirely.

[TWFT]
Members
1,422 posts
39,107 battles

I would pay extra for this!  I would also pay extra for no coward CV games to.

Are you listening WG?  That would be a great way to rake in some more cash, just sayin.

• Meh 1

[WOLFC]
Members
2,184 posts
10,547 battles
21 minutes ago, SteelRain_Rifleman said:

Actually, seal clubbing is when you repeatedly go low tier with no event on. The motives and ideas behind it are well documented in the salty underworld. 

Exactly:

30 minutes ago, Nevermore135 said:

to prey on newer, less experienced players.

[WORX]
Members
11,952 posts
19,486 battles
1 hour ago, Ziero_ said:

I see no direct downside to this feature, as it would basically stop the downtier 'seal clubbing' and put players on an even ground.

Suggesting not to be part of the current MM process, cool you can suggest that... I just dont see how changing the MM process will prevent what you stated ^^^^ .

Tier 4 and below already have protective same tier MM and Ai bots. Nothing is going to prevent an experienced player from going down to the lower tiers.

It doesn't make any sense to change MM process at low tier, if their is a system already in place.

[GWG]
[GWG]
Supertester
27,479 posts
14,823 battles
56 minutes ago, Crucis said:

Learning to be productive when bottom tier teaches you how to be a better player.  I see no good reason to change this aspect of MM.

This and WoWS is not WoT were bottom tier has almost no chance to cause damage.

[WOLF1]
Members
565 posts
1,540 battles

I have managed to burn down t9 BBs in my stock Helena before, got plenty of xp and was able to dodge the tons of 16 inch AP