You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Ensign_Cthulhu

Colorado the Meat Tenderizer

40 comments in this topic

[ARGSY]
Members
22,482 posts
16,362 battles

With the US BB split coming soon to Tier 8, quite a few people are or have been working on piling more XP on the Colorado, should they fail to win her line-split successor (Kansas) in pre-release. Here is one battle I had in her recently, in which I was fortunate to be top tier but showed that there's still a lot of pleasure to be had in this slow, thicc old girl.

(That came out badly, didn't it? :Smile_veryhappy:)

• Cool 4
  • Funny 1
  • Boring 1

[HINON]
[HINON]
Members
8,450 posts
12,418 battles

she may be slow, but its hard to argue with the power of 8 US 16" guns at T7

• Cool 1

[ARGSY]
Members
22,482 posts
16,362 battles
4 minutes ago, tcbaker777 said:

If not for this line split, I would probably have been spamming the WV41 instead and running my 19 point US BB candidate through her. I take a perverse joy in enjoying the US standards when so many people rubbish them for only being half as quick as a Georgia. :Smile_trollface: 

[A-I-M]
Members
3,603 posts
14,512 battles
25 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

...there's still a lot of pleasure to be had in this slow, thicc old girl.

(That came out badly, didn't it? :Smile_veryhappy:)

Reminds me of an old song by Queen.

[YARRR]
Members
735 posts
5,955 battles

When I first ground up the US BB line I hated the Colorado. Terrible turret traverse, slow at tier, etc...

I have come back to her after a very long time hating her, and low and behold, she is a wonderment.  Armor that can be pretty troll like if you understand how to angle her, and those wonderful guns...   Now that I have far more experience playing the game her virtues are so much more apparent.  She inspires confidence, something that is an important, and oft overlooked element in the over all performance of ships in the game.

• Cool 1

[TIAR]
[TIAR]
Beta Testers
1,452 posts
21,730 battles

thanks for the eye opener

Will try to give the old lady some love (sure, there is always an opportunity to make it worse)

[ARGSY]
Members
22,482 posts
16,362 battles
1 minute ago, MannyD_of_The_Sea said:

Reminds me of an old song by Queen.

You've just given me the inspiration/reminder for the song I need to play when driving them.

Just now, ElAurens said:

When I first ground up the US BB line I hated the Colorado. Terrible turret traverse, slow at tier, etc...

I have come back to her after a very long time hating her, and low and behold, she is a wonderment.  Armor that can be pretty troll like if you understand how to angle her, and those wonderful guns...   Now that I have far more experience playing the game her virtues are so much more apparent.  She inspires confidence, something that is an important, and oft overlooked element in the over all performance of ships in the game.

I ground through her in late 2019 (I had the NC available for its 2019 Snowflake), and I am aware that she received quite a few buffs between her first intro in-game and when I played her. Much like the Izumo and Myogi, she is a very different ship from the one that caused start-up veterans of the game to say the sorts of things I'd be banned for typing here.

That being said, even in her current form, there's a certain lack of performance pressure which comes from having already ground through her once and obtained the NC. The second grind was a pleasure. It's sort of ironic that the intro event offers the chance to get her from directives, so the whole grind is probably going to be unnecessary in the end, but I'm glad I did it in case I fail to complete the directives or want to take a break and just buy/grind the ship outright when she goes live.

[HINON]
[HINON]
Members
8,450 posts
12,418 battles
9 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

If not for this line split, I would probably have been spamming the WV41 instead and running my 19 point US BB candidate through her. I take a perverse joy in enjoying the US standards when so many people rubbish them for only being half as quick as a Georgia. :Smile_trollface: 

i would have probably kept the New Mex, if it wasnt for its horrid accuracy coupled with 34 second reload, at least the new ones are decently accurate with a 1.8 and 1.9 sigma, poor Kansas though, i think her accuracy will give NM's a run for its money all while having a even worse reload than New Mex, now, in comparison, NM isnt looking too bad

Edited by tcbaker777

[CDOH]
Members
652 posts
7,723 battles
46 minutes ago, tcbaker777 said:

how about 8 16" guns in tier 6.  Country Roads.

[ARGSY]
Members
22,482 posts
16,362 battles
30 minutes ago, tcbaker777 said:

i would have probably kept the New Mex

I did keep the New Mex.

The only one of the Tier 5+ standards I didn't keep was the New York, and that was because I already have the Texas, which is in most essential aspects the premium version. But that was before WG started throwing port slots at us faster than I could fill them. I may yet get her back, because going into battle in that thing belting out Sinatra's classic was just so much fun.

[GOB]
Members
2,523 posts

LOL he called her Thicc!

But I LIKE Big BEAMS  and I cannot lie!!  

Edited by Col_Nasty

[ARGSY]
Members
22,482 posts
16,362 battles
31 minutes ago, Col_Nasty said:

LOL he called her Thicc!

But I LIKE Big BEAMS  and I cannot lie!!  

Sadly for Sir Mixalot, there's nothing about these ships that's little in the middle. :Smile_trollface:

• Funny 1

[WPORT]
Members
7,250 posts
12,265 battles

I keep New Mexico and Colorado around for participation on Scenario Operations and snow-flake events.

I sold New York.  She was too slow and .... it was frustrating... and at the time I used the credits for something that was much more fun to play.

[ARGSY]
Members
22,482 posts
16,362 battles
22 minutes ago, Dr_Venture said:

I'm enjoying her prem cousin.

I almost bought the California, solely to raise the middle finger to the people who were bashing her. But there was too much else that I wanted, the motivation seemed petty and wasteful, and the things I actually got suited my purposes better. 

[DOG]
Members
716 posts
12,822 battles
4 minutes ago, Wolfswetpaws said:

I keep New Mexico and Colorado around for participation on Scenario Operations and snow-flake events.

I sold New York.  She was too slow and .... it was frustrating... and at the time I used the credits for something that was much more fun to play.

Nothing harder than going back to play lower tier SLOW ships (speed, turret rotation etc) after playing higher tiers. That being said I've kept my NY (don't need the credits or port slot) and it's fun to once in a great while play her again.

[ARGSY]
Members
22,482 posts
16,362 battles
2 minutes ago, dashtardly said:

Nothing harder than going back to play lower tier SLOW ships (speed, turret rotation etc) after playing higher tiers.

I'm not having a problem with it, but to each their own. Snowflakes should be finished today, and tomorrow I'll have a day free to start the new campaign (which will be very low, very slow indeed). If I get my new rig sorted out in time, I might even stream some of it. (No promises!)

Edited by Ensign_Cthulhu

[DOG]
Members
716 posts
12,822 battles
4 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

I'm not having a problem with it, but to each their own. Snowflakes should be finished today, and tomorrow I'll have a day free to start the new campaign (which will be very low, very slow indeed). If I get my new rig sorted out in time, I might even stream some of it. (No promises!)

Just takes a little getting used to (particularly if you haven't played the ship for a while)

[46856]
Members
1,882 posts

Colorado used to have great aa now not so much, is still too slow for the map and gets picked on for that. It's is not a good BB at t7.

[A-I-M]
Members
3,603 posts
14,512 battles
2 hours ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

You've just given me the inspiration/reminder for the song I need to play when driving them.

Then don’t forget a not-as-old one by Sir Mix-A-Lot for good measure:

”So, fellahs!!! (YEAH!!!) Fellahs!!! (YEAH!!!)

Wanna blow some big damn holes???(HEHLLYEAH!!!)

Then shoot it (SHOOT IT) Drop it (DROP IT)

Blast that nasty ship, baby got blap!”

[SALVO]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
6,104 posts
6,080 battles
1 hour ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

I almost bought the California, solely to raise the middle finger to the people who were bashing her. But there was too much else that I wanted, the motivation seemed petty and wasteful, and the things I actually got suited my purposes better. 

I was a Cali hater, then I played her a bunch...she's...fantastic

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
28,917 posts
25,163 battles

IMO she's too slow and her accuracy was never good enough for having 8 rifles.

With her AA not being like it was in the RTS CV days, even less of a reason to like her.

[WOLF9]
Wiki Lead
15,252 posts
4,766 battles

Colorado is gudbote.  I have enough XP on her to own Kansas day 1. 

Sold New York and don't miss her much.

3 hours ago, xHeavy said:

A bunch of torps in a certain cross pattern deletes her well enough.

You must remember pre-0.8.0 CVs fondly.

Edited by iDuckman
  • Cool 1