You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
lordholland4293

Should Supertesters be allowed to div up?

89 members have voted

1. 1. Should Supertesters be allowed to div up?

• Yes
    • No
    • Only fellow clan people

31 comments in this topic

[META_]
Members
1,660 posts
17,317 battles

Definitely, next would be if you hava good Winrate you can't division with a friend who has a good Winrate also....so yes they should  be able to.

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
24,794 posts
20,289 battles

Absolutely. Not only is there no good reason for them not to, but people will div those ships when they hit live anyways and the influence a div of those ships has needs to be checked as well. Though generally speaking STs have a rule for two test ships in a div, not three.

<Edit> At least, when I was still an ST.

Edited by Lert

[ALL41]
Beta Testers
2,370 posts
10,287 battles
26 minutes ago, lordholland4293 said:

Should supertesters be allowed to div?

If they can't test what players would actually do with the ship in game then whats the point of testing?

Kitakami is a perfect example of it. When you see a single Kitakami being tested in a battle all it does is chuck torps then die. In WG's eyes, its ok for IJN to chuck torps and die. Especially if said torps were purposely nerfed into useless piles of garbage by WG before testing even was allowed. 

..but three kitakamis in a battle? This can't be allowed. It would prove without a doubt how utterly useless and intentional the torp nerf was. For when you see three of these things flooding an entire flank with torps...and achieving nothing... its pretty obvious how useless they are. 

[WOLF2]
Members
1,654 posts
11,789 battles
1 minute ago, Skyfaller said:

If they can't test what players would actually do with the ship in game then whats the point of testing?

Kitakami is a perfect example of it. When you see a single Kitakami being tested in a battle all it does is chuck torps then die. In WG's eyes, its ok for IJN to chuck torps and die. Especially if said torps were purposely nerfed into useless piles of garbage by WG before testing even was allowed. 

..but three kitakamis in a battle? This can't be allowed. It would prove without a doubt how utterly useless and intentional the torp nerf was. For when you see three of these things flooding an entire flank with torps...and achieving nothing... its pretty obvious how useless they are. 

Further, how will the OP experience the triple-div <BOTE> if they never run into it?    See it, try to counter it, learn from it.

Besides, you won't see 'em again.   It's just a single match.   Sink, hit Battle button, and carry on.

[GOB]
Members
2,520 posts

Of course they should!!

What else do you expect them to do when they see ME in the QUE and are paralyzed with FEAR!!!??

Buddy up or DIE!!!

:cap_rambo::Smile_hiding:

/s

[ALL41]
Beta Testers
2,370 posts
10,287 battles
2 minutes ago, DiddleDum said:

Further, how will the OP experience the triple-div <BOTE> if they never run into it?    See it, try to counter it, learn from it.

Besides, you won't see 'em again.   It's just a single match.   Sink, hit Battle button, and carry on.

Im saying they should be allowed to because thats what players will do with it. Have we forgotten the double and triple smol divs? 

.. and I actually was in 6 battles where there were triple kita divs when they were being tested. They were as harmless and useless and insta-blarped in triple divs as they were when single kita in a game. 

The ship just sucks because its intentionally been reduced to a piece of garbage. Meanwhile, Smolensk is a perfect example of what WG sets as their hypocritical double standard of 'balancing' the game. 

[WOLF2]
Members
1,654 posts
11,789 battles

Oh... fully agree with you Skyfaller.   My response was for the OP, extending your comment.   Mis-translation - sorry

[POP]
Members
4,749 posts
12,813 battles

Absolutely, unless the ships they’re testing won’t be allowed to division on general release. The point of the various testers is to test things, in as many ways as they can, to catch and allow WG to fix problems before they get released.

As long as the testers don’t do anything to break various NDAs or specific tester rules (like the no more than two test ships in a division rule that Lert mentioned, or no test ships in competitive modes), there should be absolutely no difference between what testers are allowed to do and normal players are allowed to do. Otherwise there’s really no point in having them test something before release if the test results won’t reflect live release applications. In fact, part of me feels that ‘two ship limit’ rule has the potential to affect test vs live release performance evaluations by providing no test data on three ship performance.

Would I like to see a triple Kitakami division on the enemy team during testing (or even after release)? Probably not, but if it’s going to be allowed in release I’d rather have it be tested before release than WG realizing afterward when it’s typically too late to attempt to fix the problem if there is one. 

[NH]
Members
0 posts

I guess I'm going to be the lone disagreeer here. I don't think that they should because they testing individual ships so divisioning can inflate the damage and win rate. It can create a confusing picture of the ship's performance. Imagine this for a moment. Supertest ship divs up with a USN smoke DD and always smokes for the supertest ship. super test ship could be another DD that doesnt have smoke or even a cruiser. Now we have a situation where the ships's performance numbers are inflated because its basically has a consumable it didnt have in a purely random gameplay environment. The baseline performance is now not usable data IMO. 

I'm sure there are a million scenarios you could think of but hopefully this makes sense. 

Edited by SecondClassCVCitizen

[A-I-M]
Members
3,592 posts
14,485 battles
5 minutes ago, SecondClassCVCitizen said:

... I don't think that they should because we're testing individual ships...

I don’t see you designated as any kind of tester. What “we” are you speaking for?

Edited by MannyD_of_The_Sea
  • Boring 1

[NH]
Members
0 posts
2 minutes ago, MannyD_of_The_Sea said:

I don’t see you designated as any kind of tester. What “we” are you speaking for?

You're testing my patience alright :Smile-_tongue:.  It's a collective we as in the community as a whole since anyone can apply to be a super tester.

[WPORT]
Members
7,203 posts
12,205 battles
1 hour ago, lordholland4293 said:

By lordholland4293,

Should supertesters be allowed to div?

Should players be allowed to div up?

Supertesters are players.  So, yes to both versions of the question.

[A-I-M]
Members
3,592 posts
14,485 battles
11 minutes ago, SecondClassCVCitizen said:

You're testing my patience alright :Smile-_tongue:.  It's a collective we as in the community as a whole since anyone can apply to be a super tester.

So it’s a “we” you’re admittedly not part of, that you’re speaking for. And you disagree with those who are part of that “we” who are doing the thing you say the “we” aren’t doing.

Gotcha.

I’m going to close the door niiice and slllooooowww now, no loud noises.

[WOLF9]
Wiki Lead
15,220 posts
4,766 battles
40 minutes ago, HamptonRoads said:

Noticed a bunch of "no" votes, and am curious as to what the objections are.

They believe ST == Unicum. 

T'ain't so.  STs blow up much easier.

[0456]
Members
3,824 posts
10,091 battles
43 minutes ago, SecondClassCVCitizen said:

I guess I'm going to be the lone disagreeer here. I don't think that they should because they testing individual ships so divisioning can inflate the damage and win rate. It can create a confusing picture of the ship's performance. Imagine this for a moment. Supertest ship divs up with a USN smoke DD and always smokes for the supertest ship. super test ship could be another DD that doesnt have smoke or even a cruiser. Now we have a situation where the ships's performance numbers are inflated because its basically has a consumable it didnt have in a purely random gameplay environment. The baseline performance is now not usable data IMO. 

I'm sure there are a million scenarios you could think of but hopefully this makes sense. 

I think this assumes that every super tester and WG is an idiot and you are smarter than everyone for thinking of it. 

call me naive but if supertesters are divving with test ships I’m in the group of people who want to believe they’re not [edited]idiots and whatever they’re up to will be accounted for. 

Edited by _ENO_

[NH]
Members
0 posts
18 minutes ago, _ENO_ said:

I think this assumes that every super tester and WG is an idiot and you are smarter than everyone for thinking of it. 

call me naive but if supertesters are divving with test ships I’m in the group of people who want to believe they’re not [edited]idiots and whatever they’re up to will be accounted for. 

That accounting would likely come later after the ship is released to public and adjustments will be made as performance settles 10s or maybe 100s of thousands of games later. For randoms to be randoms and testing of just the ship baseline you cant be constantly propped up by division mates or you cant tell up from down. Another example. 3x Hallands in a division would have a low amount of aircraft shot down per game if played on a constant basis. Each would would shoot just a few because there is not enough planes go around. "Seems like Halland AA performance is not looking good since the average plane kill numbers are low". See what I mean?

As somebody who looks through data on a pretty regular basis I want it as clean as possible. No outliers due to unaccounted variables. Sure I could try and account for everything that is trying to poison my data but that's not as efficient. 

• Boring 1

[WOLF5]
Supertester
4,595 posts
4,223 battles

Short answer yes. First, what I think you mean is should STs be allowed to div in test ships. Because obviously there's no issues if we want to div and do whatever when we're not testing.

Second, it doesn't affect the stats, performance numbers. WG is well aware of the impact divisions have, and account for it. We are allowed to division up (with things like Kitakami being the exception), but it is expected that we also play them solo. Basically don't ONLY play them in divisions. So don't worry, we aren't going around in 3 man divisions inflating the stats of ships before release:Smile_veryhappy:

My guess is that your other concern is that test ships may be broken, and a division may be way too strong. This isn't such a concern. By the time ships are in ST on the live server they've already gone through several testing steps, so the chances of a ship being busted on live are pretty small. Second, people will play ships in divisions. If that's going to be a problem then WG needs to know. We know triple kitakami division will be done if the ship ever goes live, probably good to make sure that's not completely game (or server) breaking before release.

Remember that just because we have the Supertester tag doesn't mean we're all of a sudden WOWS gods. Most of us are just average players who like the game and play for fun. So a triple div of STs in test ships (which honestly doesn't happen that often) isn't usually 75% WR players in OP ships laughing at your puny attempts to resist. It's just a group of people having fun together seeing how the new ships are. Honestly you should be more worried about a clan triple div in regular ships, that's probably going to have a much bigger impact on the game outcome.

[NH]
Members
0 posts
10 minutes ago, AJTP89 said:

Short answer yes. First, what I think you mean is should STs be allowed to div in test ships. Because obviously there's no issues if we want to div and do whatever when we're not testing.

Second, it doesn't affect the stats, performance numbers. WG is well aware of the impact divisions have, and account for it. We are allowed to division up (with things like Kitakami being the exception), but it is expected that we also play them solo. Basically don't ONLY play them in divisions. So don't worry, we aren't going around in 3 man divisions inflating the stats of ships before release:Smile_veryhappy:

My guess is that your other concern is that test ships may be broken, and a division may be way too strong. This isn't such a concern. By the time ships are in ST on the live server they've already gone through several testing steps, so the chances of a ship being busted on live are pretty small. Second, people will play ships in divisions. If that's going to be a problem then WG needs to know. We know triple kitakami division will be done if the ship ever goes live, probably good to make sure that's not completely game (or server) breaking before release.

Remember that just because we have the Supertester tag doesn't mean we're all of a sudden WOWS gods. Most of us are just average players who like the game and play for fun. So a triple div of STs in test ships (which honestly doesn't happen that often) isn't usually 75% WR players in OP ships laughing at your puny attempts to resist. It's just a group of people having fun together seeing how the new ships are. Honestly you should be more worried about a clan triple div in regular ships, that's probably going to have a much bigger impact on the game outcome.

If this is of no concern to data metrics then maybe you have an idea of why its not allowed then?

[WOLF5]
Supertester
4,595 posts
4,223 battles
1 minute ago, SecondClassCVCitizen said:

If this is of no concern to data metrics then maybe you have an idea of why its not allowed then?

WG isn't mixing div and solo data. But obviously we can't exclusively do divs because WG also wants feedback on solo play.

Divisions are allowed, but solo games are needed as well.