Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
KnifeInUrNeck

Don’t buy Munchen

15 comments in this topic

[FDK]
Members
1,323 posts
26 minutes ago, KnifeInUrNeck said:

WG trying to market it as a Mainz lite. It’s not. It’s probably one of the most underwhelming T7 cruisers out there. Save your money.

Agree. It shoud be marketed as a tier 6

Members
6,920 posts
21,437 battles

I do not understand the marketing department in this game.

5(6) German premiums released on top of each other as well as a full CV line. Unless Germania is buying everything left and right it doesn't make sense.

• Cool 1
  • Boring 1
  • Meh 1

[-AF-]
Beta Testers
736 posts
9,801 battles
7 minutes ago, Xwing_Red1 said:

Agree. It shoud be marketed as a tier 6

If it's a tier 7 ship, how would it be marketed as a tier 6?  :Smile_amazed:

Meanwhile, I'm of the opinion that in Day 1 of release, it's just a tad early to say the Muchen is either this way or that.   I've seen it in some streams so far and it looks like a decent skill floor is required to play it well.   I say give it some time as some players will get it, put it through it's paces in battles and will have an actual game conditions in which to develop a meaningful opinion.

Members
22 posts
1,147 battles

From the videos I saw on it so far, I am not impressed.  Also consider that I love German cruisers and the Nurnberg/Makarov in particular.  The German 150mm shells are already floaty at ranges greater than 10km.  The additional last minute ballistics nerf was totally unnecessary.  They did the same thing with Marceau and it still irritates me even though I"ve had the ship for a while.  Muchen looks no more effective than Nurnburg which is free and a tier lower.

[WOLFG]
Members
31,420 posts
9,664 battles
1 minute ago, Sweetsie said:

5(6) German premiums released on top of each other as well as a full CV line. Unless Germania is buying everything left and right it doesn't make sense.

Agreed. I get the CV line, but yeah, that many prems in a row?

I wonder if, seeing as the premiums cover all the currencies, if the timing was coincidental.

I mean, Germany was probably the best remaining choice for a supercruiser. They also were due for a T9 coal ship. They also didn't have a Research Bureau ship.

Odin? Been a long time since Germany had more than 1 T8 premium. I believe Mainz was something people were asking for, and it along with Munchen indicates a possible KM cruiser line split.

IOW, all of the premiums were "called for", just the timing is weird. Maybe they didn't consider the dogpile, and KM ships were what they had ready.

Members
6,920 posts
21,437 battles
9 minutes ago, Skpstr said:

Agreed. I get the CV line, but yeah, that many prems in a row?

I wonder if, seeing as the premiums cover all the currencies, if the timing was coincidental.

I mean, Germany was probably the best remaining choice for a supercruiser. They also were due for a T9 coal ship. They also didn't have a Research Bureau ship.

Odin? Been a long time since Germany had more than 1 T8 premium. I believe Mainz was something people were asking for, and it along with Munchen indicates a possible KM cruiser line split.

IOW, all of the premiums were "called for", just the timing is weird. Maybe they didn't consider the dogpile, and KM ships were what they had ready.

jeez I forgot the Mainz, that would be 7 new premiums, Sieg, Odin, Mainz, Pomm, Agir, Munchen and that DD...

7 new German premiums in a few months while also releasing a full German CV line.

[WOLFG]
Members
31,420 posts
9,664 battles
1 minute ago, Sweetsie said:

jeez I forgot the Mainz, that would be 7 new premiums, Sieg, Odin, Mainz, Pomm, Agir, Munchen and that DD...

7 new German premiums in a few months while also releasing a full German CV line.

I forgot the DD lol.

There's also a premium CV in the tech tree, but I haven't seen or heard of a tester playing it yet.

[-TRM-]
[-TRM-]
Members
1,831 posts

I am very familiar with the Mainz.

Examining this little Colt... its not going to stand up to the battles we have now.

[PVE]
Members
4,841 posts
21,246 battles

I've got about a dozen games in her and I'm not disappointed?  Pretty slow starting but runs at a decent speed.  I have a 19 point Cruiser CPT in her and she's faster than a Nurnberg, fewer torps, and starts fires pretty well.  I picked her up for the 200x mission that runs till 28 Oct to grind EXP.  Average about 2K a match..... 

Seems like a fun DD hunter.  Everything else, be part of a SAG and contribute. 

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
28,903 posts
25,145 battles

Munchen isn't a typical German Cruiser.

IMO, she's a German Atlanta.  Consider the points I bring up here and then my later realization here about her qualities being so close to an Atlanta.  Except for the 127mm Atlanta guns that now have zero power and usefulness, both ATL and Munchen line up in a lot of different ways not involving Radar.

She even lobs shells over islands like a USN CL and not like a German CL.

A big problem Munchen is going to have with her reputation is a bunch of guys that did get Tier VIII Mainz are expecting more of the same in Tier VII Munchen.  This alone is going to destroy her reputation.

"Is this an 8-gun Mainz a tier lower?"

No.

[Reputation Destroyed]

IMO, USN CL players will find more in common with Munchen than typical German Cruiser players will.  If you are familiar with how USN 152mm shells behave in flight, then you know what Munchen is going to be like.  If you are expecting German CL Mainz gunnery, that's not what you're going to get.

r4llhzz.jpgWgov36X.jpg

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway
  • Cool 1

Beta Testers
755 posts
5,299 battles
2 hours ago, KnifeInUrNeck said:

WG trying to market it as a Mainz lite. It’s not. It’s probably one of the most underwhelming T7 cruisers out there. Save your money.

Never take advice from a person who does not own the ship, A CC, or Super tester.

• Cool 1

[USCC2]
Members
6,275 posts
2 hours ago, Sweetsie said:

It will make sense when you realise there is probably a global nerf to German HE pen values on its way (1/4 to 1/5?). :Smile_trollface:

Of course, I don't know if it's true, but be honest, if you look at all the German premiums that have been churned out - if after a few months WG did nerf the HE pen value, would you think:

1. "What, that came as a real surprise!", or would you look back and say:

2. "How could I not have seen this coming?"

[FFG33]
[FFG33]
Members
380 posts
14,761 battles
3 hours ago, YoloBadgerDontCare said:

From the videos I saw on it so far, I am not impressed.  Also consider that I love German cruisers and the Nurnberg/Makarov in particular.  The German 150mm shells are already floaty at ranges greater than 10km.  The additional last minute ballistics nerf was totally unnecessary.  They did the same thing with Marceau and it still irritates me even though I"ve had the ship for a while.  Muchen looks no more effective than Nurnburg which is free and a tier lower.

You also get the privilege of getting T9 matches.

Sign in to follow this