Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
sasquatch_research

Munchen Meh at best

10 comments in this topic

[WAMMY]
Members
2,517 posts
13,998 battles

Hey

While I only played 1 battle in Munchen and I was bottom tier; it's a very weak boat and feels like it should be T6 at best; because it doesn't have great guns, very weak armor and is not a T7 boat by any means.  I would rather bring a Nurnberg to a T9 game than this.  I would not recommend buying it, granted this was only 1 battle.  I wanted because it's German and we know how Wargaming has a certain dislike for Germany.

Pete

• Haha 1
  • Boring 1

[WOLF5]
Supertester
4,595 posts
4,223 battles

Ah yes, one battle gives you enough experience to make better judgements on balance that WG did with their extensive testing, are you serious?:Smile_facepalm:

While it may not be the best premium ever released those guns fire a lot of shells. Uptiered is probably going to be rough, but top tier you're a little monster. Actually what makes balancing T7 so difficult, there's a HUGE capability gap between T5 and T9, and making a ship that's not OP for T5 but still competitive for T9 is not easy.

• Meh 1

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
24,794 posts
20,305 battles
2 minutes ago, AJTP89 said:

Ah yes, one battle gives you enough experience to make better judgements on balance that WG did with their extensive testing, are you serious?:Smile_facepalm:

Hey, at least he played a game. How many people on this forum judge ships without even doing that?

• Cool 2
  • Funny 1

[WOLF5]
Supertester
4,595 posts
4,223 battles
3 minutes ago, Lert said:

Hey, at least he played a game. How many people on this forum judge ships without even doing that?

Fair    looks at opinions on new USN BBs

• Cool 1

[STW-D]
WoWS Community Contributors
235 posts
22,755 battles
7 hours ago, sasquatch_research said:

Hey

While I only played 1 battle in Munchen and I was bottom tier; it's a very weak boat and feels like it should be T6 at best; because it doesn't have great guns, very weak armor and is not a T7 boat by any means.  I would rather bring a Nurnberg to a T9 game than this.  I would not recommend buying it, granted this was only 1 battle.  I wanted because it's German and we know how Wargaming has a certain dislike for Germany.

Pete

Hey Pete,

The München is effectively a tier-VII Nürnberg with slightly better DPM (HE DPM is 164.2K versus the Nürnberg at 153K).  She's stronger than the Nürnberg with regard to (much) better speed and concealment, giving her better flexibility in positioning, engaging, and disengaging.

As a pathelogical KM cruiser main myself with a embarrassingly large number of games in the Nürnberg, I found her very playable.  I was uptiered in my first two matches (tier VIII and tier IX), and delivered 136K and 105K, respectively.

Players expecting a "tanky" light cruiser (München or otherwise) are expecting too much.  Light cruisers are generally easily punished by battleship and heavy cruiser salvos.  I fully expected her armor to be like that of most tier-VII light cruisers, that is, squishy.  She technically has a turtleback, but that might only be useful fending off cruiser salvos in closer quarters.

My biggest complaint is with her shell ballistics which are decidedly very un-German.  The floatier arcs do, however, allow her to leverage terrain in ways that the Nürnberg cannot.

So far I'm happy with her.  Working on a first impressions and review video now.

• Cool 1

[WAMMY]
Members
2,517 posts
13,998 battles
8 hours ago, AJTP89 said:

While it may not be the best premium ever released those guns fire a lot of shells. Uptiered is probably going to be rough, but top tier you're a little monster. Actually what makes balancing T7 so difficult, there's a HUGE capability gap between T5 and T9, and making a ship that's not OP for T5 but still competitive for T9 is not easy.

Hey

And Did I not say that it was only 1 battle, not once but twice, and I mentioned I was bottom tier in that game as well;  and we all know it takes a while to get used to a boat.  It felt to me, to be inferior to Nurnberg and certainly not a lesser Mainz which is quite a good boat.

Pete

[DOINK]
Members
41 posts
14,592 battles

Howz about people try playing several battles in a ship before writing a review? I didn't like it my first battle, but after a few battles I started to learn a bit more on how to play it. I'm starting to like the little munchkin now.

Members
215 posts
7,381 battles
14 hours ago, Lert said:

But is it Lert, and LWM approved? 

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
24,794 posts
20,305 battles
1 hour ago, CorvetteKaptain67 said:

But is it Lert, and LWM approved? 

Mouse leans towards 'overtuned' (IE, a bit too strong). I'm not at a point where I'm ready to give my opinion yet.

• Cool 1

[TOG]
Members
4,213 posts
25,146 battles
4 hours ago, Lert said:

Mouse leans towards 'overtuned' (IE, a bit too strong). I'm not at a point where I'm ready to give my opinion yet.

4 wins out of 5 games played so far. The floaty shell arcs means you play her as like USN CL. Go island waifu at the start and as much as you can. She does well even uptiered. She's similar to Smolensk in that at close ranges, BB shells tend to overpen. My only kvetch] is that the turret rotation would need EM.

Edited by Bill_Halsey

Sign in to follow this