Jump to content
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Incomitatus

How to Win at Asymmetric

26 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

239
[-CFI-]
Members
360 posts
3,762 battles

Step 1. Pick a secondary specialized Bismarck, Tirpitz, or Massachusetts.

Step 2. Load onto a team with at least two other battleships that are secondary specialized Bismarck, Tirpitz, or Massachusetts.

Step 3. Press the 'W' key.

Step 4. Win.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4,378
[A-D-F]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
8,264 posts

If you are in a secondary ship and you don't have to set a manual target, you are doing it wrong.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,594
[SALVO]
Members
5,901 posts
4,946 battles
11 minutes ago, Incomitatus said:

Step 1. Pick a secondary specialized Bismarck, Tirpitz, or Massachusetts.

Step 2. Load onto a team with at least two other battleships that are secondary specialized Bismarck, Tirpitz, or Massachusetts.

Step 3. Press the 'W' key.

Step 4. Win.

Hey look, these guys had the same idea...

mk385WY.jpg

eJumpBa.jpg

It worked perfectly...

  • Cool 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
853
[SAINT]
[SAINT]
Members
1,509 posts
18,094 battles

Won three in a row in my De Grasse farming BB brawlers from range. They played too passive and didn't try to push out after the first one ate a bunch of T5 torps. If they would have rushed us we would have been brushed aside and annihilated. It all depends on the quality of the team, as usual. Sorry, but just picking a brawler isn't a guarantee of anything. 

I Guarantee It Meme - Imgflip

  • Funny 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
239
[-CFI-]
Members
360 posts
3,762 battles
15 minutes ago, Burnsy said:

If you are in a secondary ship and you don't have to set a manual target, you are doing it wrong.

I don't have any of those ships. I've been on the receiving end. But fair point.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
331
[TDR]
[TDR]
Members
1,033 posts
11,066 battles
8 minutes ago, ArIskandir said:

Hey look, these guys had the same idea...

mk385WY.jpg

eJumpBa.jpg

It worked perfectly...

Had a very similar game but I was a dd on the red team at t8. 2 Bismarck and 1 Odin. The bbs rushes into the enemy and were for the first 3 ships gone....edit, I should also note that in this battle it was 6 t8 vs 8 t5/6. When we loaded I thought easy victory. We sank 3 enemy ships and were on the receiving end of a roflstomp

won several games at bottom tier also. Gotta disagree with the op, it still comes down to who has better tactics and positioning based on the opposing team composition 

Edited by ditka_Fatdog
  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,478
[KIA-C]
Members
3,575 posts
15,751 battles

And then you get farmed by DD,CA and CV because you tried to brute force your way into the ennemy team while not being able to shoot at half the red ship behind cover

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
3,633 posts
42,202 battles

If you are in a CV, prepare to die if the tier 6 team has 4-5 DDs. They just want you and only you. Get in their way and they will torp you too.

This mode has become DD anger management class.

CV players are okay with it because sometimes the DD charge that looks like a jailbreak ends up a disaster.

And red team is left with no DDs and a very fired up Kaga with a full torpedo plane air group.

Lady Gaga playing "Just Dance" in the background as horrified  ships start using A and D keys with sudden incentive. 

The curses, the screams of "meanie", the laughs from my teammates sounding like a pack of Dr Evil clones, and me thinking.. this is fine.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,594
[SALVO]
Members
5,901 posts
4,946 battles
1 hour ago, SteelRain_Rifleman said:

 

This mode has become DD anger management class.

Lol. So True.

I've been enjoying playing DDs in this mode so much. CVs try to keep social distancing from CoviDD at such extremes that it becomes funny. Had a match in a Visby where I pushed (truth is she ran away) a German CV to the farthest corner of the map. It was comical, those secondaries have a longer range than my main battery.

Now in theaters: Asymetric Battles: Revenge of the Destroyer

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
3,633 posts
42,202 battles
24 minutes ago, ArIskandir said:

Lol. So True.

I've been enjoying playing DDs in this mode so much. CVs try to keep social distancing from CoviDD at such extremes that it becomes funny. Had a match in a Visby where I pushed (truth is she ran away) a German CV to the farthest corner of the map. It was comical, those secondaries have a longer range than my main battery.

Now in theaters: Asymetric Battles: Revenge of the Destroyer

Now that is a movie I will watch.

*Pictures all DD players dressed as Khan Noonien Singh from Star Trek 2 .

Khan: "So much for poor Enterprise..."

Kirk: "Sulu, get us out of here. That's a lot of DDs!"

Sulu: "Oh my, that is!"

Checkov: "Launch planes, kaptin?"

Scotty: "Aye, we are gonna need a wee bit of luck captain. Those wee DDs are angry."

McCoy: "It's worse than that. It's matchmaker! I'm a doctor, not a strategist!"

Spock: "This looks a lot like my simulation, the no win scenario."

Kirk: "Do you think, I can get away with what I did last time?"

Spock: "No captain, this time you are. ."

Scotty: "Fooked!"

Kirk turns to a new CV pilot...

Kirk: "Can you hit them with torps. You know that fade drop thing you do?"

The pilot looks at Kirk with utter disdain, then takes their cigarette and puts it out on Spock's bum.

SCPR: "In RTS, definitely. Here, probably. No promises. Can I take that crazy bomber pilot Thor's Hammer? He could slow them down and make them cry."

Kirk : "Sure. Don't get them too mad."

Thor's Hammer: "Too late for that. But I will get on it." *Runs down hallway in tighty whities and socks.

Sulu: "They appear to be scattering and detonating. Some are sinking, we are out of the clear."

Kirk: "That was close."

McCoy: "Good thing we have those two."

Spock: "Indeed, Dr. It would seem that DDs are not as dangerous as before rework." *Stares at WG.

And so the Kaga sails on...

Kirk: "I miss Enterprise. Why did I get this CV?"

 

 

 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
766
[--V--]
Members
1,466 posts
13,786 battles

I played all Asymmetric yesterday, maybe 30 matches.  Pretty much the T7-8 team won them all, for some pretty consistent reasons:

  1. If T8 team has a CV.  T8 won.  Every time.
  2. If low tier team has no DDs.  T8 won.  Every time.
  3. If low tier team has CV.  T8 teams ate the planes alive.  T8 won since basically the low tier CV was a wasted ship.

The only times my low tier teams won was if T7-8 teams had NO DDs and NO CVs and NO Radar cruisers.   If all 3 of these conditions were met, we won.

Not sure what everyone else's experience has been.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,594
[SALVO]
Members
5,901 posts
4,946 battles
12 minutes ago, SeaborneSumo said:

I played all Asymmetric yesterday, maybe 30 matches.  Pretty much the T7-8 team won them all, for some pretty consistent reasons:

  1. If T8 team has a CV.  T8 won.  Every time.
  2. If low tier team has no DDs.  T8 won.  Every time.
  3. If low tier team has CV.  T8 teams ate the planes alive.  T8 won since basically the low tier CV was a wasted ship.

The only times my low tier teams won was if T7-8 teams had NO DDs and NO CVs and NO Radar cruisers.   If all 3 of these conditions were met, we won.

Not sure what everyone else's experience has been.

In my experience:

1. Not true if the T5-6 have any sense, the CV needs a meet shield to operate, remove/neutralize/bypass the meat shield and the CV is out of business. Might post a replay later on this one if you have any doubts

2. True. That's why YOU (meaning I) should bring a DD to guarantee you have DDs. In my experience, this only happened once but it was meaningless because was an almost full bot match (doesn't count)

3. True, a T6 CV is a wasted slot, but it can be carried to victory. Also have replays if you like.

On the victory conditions you mentioned, not necessarily true. You can win with almost any match up, most difficult one is radar cruisers. As long as the low tier DDs are able and alive, there is a good chance to win the match.

Edited by ArIskandir

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
853
[SAINT]
[SAINT]
Members
1,509 posts
18,094 battles
12 minutes ago, SeaborneSumo said:

I played all Asymmetric yesterday, maybe 30 matches.  Pretty much the T7-8 team won them all, for some pretty consistent reasons:

  1. If T8 team has a CV.  T8 won.  Every time.
  2. If low tier team has no DDs.  T8 won.  Every time.
  3. If low tier team has CV.  T8 teams ate the planes alive.  T8 won since basically the low tier CV was a wasted ship.

The only times my low tier teams won was if T7-8 teams had NO DDs and NO CVs and NO Radar cruisers.   If all 3 of these conditions were met, we won.

Not sure what everyone else's experience has been.

I was finishing the cruiser part of the latest phase of the dockyard event so basically took my De Grasse for an extended cruise. With her range and concealment, plus 9 km torps, I just got myself into a position just around an island where I could fire concealed and farmed the high tier battleships. I won most of these matches with multiple kills setting lots of fires. Even in the Krispy Kreme I had some good games, just don't get shot at lol.

I had far more issues in my low tier destroyers facing radar and hydro due to the relatively short range of my torps. Still there's always a workaround. However when an enemy team plays smart and alternates their radar its a tough nut to crack. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
462
[-TRM-]
[-TRM-]
Members
1,707 posts
5,353 battles

If you load in with a team of nothing but bots, you have already lost.

 

WG did well in the new mode experiment but effed up when including bots. Should be all human only.

Edited by xHeavy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
766
[--V--]
Members
1,466 posts
13,786 battles
14 minutes ago, ArIskandir said:

In my experience:

1. Not true if the T5-6 have any sense, the CV needs a meet shield to operate, remove/neutralize/bypass the meat shield and the CV is out of business. Might post a replay later on this one if you have any doubts

2. True. That's why YOU (meaning I) should bring a DD to guarantee you have DDs. In my experience, this only happened once but it was meaningless because was an almost full bot match (doesn't count)

3. True, a T6 CV is a wasted slot, but it can be carried to victory. Also have replays if you like.

On the victory conditions you mentioned, not necessarily true. You can win with almost any match up, most difficult one is radar cruisers. As long as the low tier DDs are able and alive, there is a good chance to win the match.

Well, they were true in my 30 matches yesterday.  Not a small sample for an individual.  But there are exceptions to everything.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3
[WOLF1]
Members
20 posts
3,358 battles

played 1 match with my Perth against a 5 ship red team of 1 cv 3 bb and 1 ca and we wiped them pretty good, I sank a bis and hipper with he spam that were trying our flank while their vlad and colorado came straight through the middle and got focused while 2 of our ca's went wide the other flank to go after their cv. we also didnt have a cv but did have dd's but I still felt like the red team could have used another ship or 2 in order to have a decent chance, no bots in match either.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
164
[KRAK]
Members
1,473 posts
15,897 battles

Just played my West Va 1941 (only BB) against two Mass BBs. Their New Orleans sank 6. I love my WV but these are totally unbalanced matches when you are the T6 group. No BOTS in the high Tier group either that I have seen,  so no contest for the high Tier group, but I refuse to play the high side as this is FAIR and BALANCED,  says WG itself.

Very last game an Alabama sunk 4 of ours, including a totally one sided match against me. I'm sure they are proud of their "Accomplishment".

I think this shows that the T7-8 Group is way more powerful than the T5-6 Group, even when they are 1/2 the size ship wise.

Someone in game chat says high Tier takes 3 minutes to load in, while low Tier takes about 5 seconds (my experience anyway).

I also think this a WG experiment on Tiers in general, match making, and Tier spread, etc. They used this to isolate and get a better understanding on how ship features at higher tiers can dominate multiple numbers of lower tier ships. They will use the results of these battles in their next "meetings'.

Edited by Hull Speed

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,594
[SALVO]
Members
5,901 posts
4,946 battles
22 minutes ago, Hull Speed said:

Just played my West Va 1941 (only BB) against two Mass BBs. Their New Orleans sank 6. I love my WV but these are totally unbalanced matches when you are the T6 group. No BOTS in the high Tier group either that I have seen,  so no contest for the high Tier group, but I refuse to play the high side as this is FAIR and BALANCED,  says WG itself.

Very last game an Alabama sunk 4 of ours, including a totally one sided match against me. I'm sure they are proud of their "Accomplishment".

I think this shows that the T7-8 Group is way more powerful than the T5-6 Group, even when they are 1/2 the size ship wise.

Spoken as true BB player.

Know my friend, that when playing BBs you depend on your team more than in any other class. If you want to forge your own destiny in Asymetrics, you should be playing DDs. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,247
[HEROS]
Members
2,056 posts
18,677 battles

meh!  All right.. a better answer on how to win asymmetric battles.

High tier:  Focus the DD's and Cruiser's first.. DD's especially as you can run into situations where your facing up to 7 DD's. If the opfor stay together and come at you all at once.. your in trouble because you simply wont dodge all the torps.   You fight AS A TEAM..   you focus fire.  Stay mobile.. ships that park are ships that die. ("always in motion the future is!" Yoda)

Low Tier.. CHARGE! YOLO AS A TEAM!  DO IT!  The longer the fight lasts the worse it is for the low tier team.  Again Cruisers and DD's on the high tier must be killed as soon as humanly possible.   You must dog pack and rush otherwise you'll picked off outside of your effective range one by one until victory is impossible to achieve.  Communicate and cooperate.  ANd don't be afraid of using your ship as a torpedo.  DOesn't matter how messy the win as long as it's a win.

Either side it's all about team play.  Low tiers ships must get as close as possible as soon as possible.  And by close I really do mean for low tier BB get into YOUR secondary range.  Your job is keeping the other team big boys focused on you and not your teams DD's because the DD's are what going to win the fight for you.  The torps give them the alpha strike damage to take out the enemy BB's but they have to get into no miss range and thats going to be difficult with out YOUR help.  If you hold back at a distance your helping the high tier team win. The Tier BB's and Cruiser have the armor and hit point pool to shrug off your hits in most cases, but at 5KM big ship guns from 8" and up can do horrific damage because they are close nuff to get pens!  Even on German BB's!   This is not great secret.. it's all in the numbers!  BB's go one side, DD's go the other side. Cruiser back up the DD's and shoot opfor DD's and CA's   you want to spit because the OPFOR BB's can either angle against you or angle against torps.. if the low tier tem stays as one large group you make easy for them.  SHoot from open water... hiding to avoid damage just takes your guns out of the fight.   Your low tier team has the advantage of numbers and that advantage only lasts until the high tier start killing you.  SO get in hard, get in fast but get stuck in.  

The high tier team can win by simply capping and keeping the low tier team at a distance..  The low tier team will not win by capping alone.. You must get ships kills.

 

This is NOT random battle and cannot be played as Random battle.

"Warlord" sends!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
164
[KRAK]
Members
1,473 posts
15,897 battles

Don't look now but low team is all BOTs, no waiting in line anymore. What happened ? WG experiment is underway, and data being analyzed. I hope MM spread gets reduced as a LOGICAL outcome of this Frankenstien experiment.

I love to see Omaha take on Cleveland. Such courage in the case of Cleveland.

Against Mass BB, I get way more ricochets using AP in WV 1941. Was that factored into asymmetry ?

Edited by Hull Speed

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
462
[-TRM-]
[-TRM-]
Members
1,707 posts
5,353 battles

We were a team of BB's and Cruisers.

Enemy V Team was human also BB's and Cruisers. AND ONE DD.

That DD spotted everyone, evaded spotting by our team all map. We lost while 5 of theirs remained.

I intend to purchase a VIII DD just for that future problem.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×