Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
MemeFlerp

Stupid Damage

26 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

Members
96 posts
16,124 battles


Can anyone explain how a T9 cruiser does the same damage as a T1 Cruiser on a pen?

A Roon does 250 damage on a pen to a NC?

A Donskoi does 213 damage to a Muashi?

And both ships were full health, so damage Saturation is not an option.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
380
[PROJX]
Beta Testers
785 posts
4,952 battles

You may have hit an AA or secondary turret, the resulting damage only being the splash from the HE shell

Edited by PotatoMD

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
96 posts
16,124 battles
1 minute ago, PotatoMD said:

You may have hit an AA or secondary turret, the resulting damage only being the splash from the HE shell

So you can pen a module but not damage it?  Yeah that makes sense.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
380
[PROJX]
Beta Testers
785 posts
4,952 battles
Just now, MemeFlerp said:

So you can pen a module but not damage it?  Yeah that makes sense.

You damage the module itself. Not the ship. Do enough and you destroy it. 

That's why you can get full pens on the turrets of ships, but do no damage. Fortunately, this will be changed soon

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6,661
[WORX]
Members
11,915 posts
19,466 battles

I would venture to guess. The DMG is to a specific module, this can be...

  • AA
  • Secondaries 
  • Tubes
  • Gun mounts.

The Caliber shell, PEN to do DMG to these module HOWEVER, did not have enough umf to DMG the compartments of the actual ship itself.

Edited by Navalpride33
  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
331
[TDR]
[TDR]
Members
1,034 posts
11,081 battles
23 minutes ago, Navalpride33 said:

I would venture to guess. The DMG is to a specific module, this can be...

  • AA
  • Secondaries 
  • Tubes
  • Gun mounts.

The Caliber shell PEN to do DMG to these module HOWEVER, did not have enough to DMG the compartments of the actual ship itself.

^^^^this^^^^

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
96 posts
16,124 battles
27 minutes ago, Navalpride33 said:

I would venture to guess. The DMG is to a specific module, this can be...

  • AA
  • Secondaries 
  • Tubes
  • Gun mounts.

The Caliber shell, PEN to do DMG to these module HOWEVER, did not have enough umf to DMG the compartments of the actual ship itself.

So 203 MM and 180mm which do destroy modules and do full  (825) damage on one shot , can not damage a module and do <300 damage on the next shot?  Yeah that makes no sense at all.

About as much sense as a 16" AP shell penning for 1300 damage and then 2600 and then 4200.  

Or as much as a shell going off in a turret, you know that metal box filled with propellant and Shells, causes NO damage to ship or the turret.  

Takes a serious genius to come up with that scheme.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,247
[HEROS]
Members
2,056 posts
18,677 battles

The good news... It's not that common.

The Bad News:  It's still going to happen!

Important question:  Does it reflect what happens real world?  Answer:   Shockingly, yes it does.  Ships are indeed structured to minimize damage.  That's kind of part and parcel of them being "warships"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,410
[ALL41]
Beta Testers
2,362 posts
10,202 battles
47 minutes ago, PotatoMD said:

You damage the module itself. Not the ship. Do enough and you destroy it. 

That's why you can get full pens on the turrets of ships, but do no damage. Fortunately, this will be changed soon

The actual problem is best illustrated in destroyers when shot at by a BB. 

 

The AP or HE shell hits the DD's AA armament. For the record, its an open canopy, rifle-caliber bullet protection shield plate installed on it AA gun. 

The shell hits it and damages/destroys the gun. 

Shell vanishes from existence. Despite it having monstrous kinetic energy and plenty of explosive punch left after popping that AA gun. 

 

This is why in some DDs you can become almost immune to fire from other ships by merely angling slightly to the incoming rounds...so you take all those hits on your rear turrets or rear AA guns. Your hull takes ZERO damage. 

 

The change that is being made is as idiotic as the change made to DDs so they wouldn't be blarped by AP when highly angled & the shell would have enough time and armor/components to punch through to detonate inside the DD. They made it all be 'overpen' damage... and now they are treating the component damage with the same level of lazy coding and stupidity in design: Overpen. 

You hit the AA gun on a light cruiser with an 18 inch HE shell? Oh ho how cute. 1/10th damage for you. An AP round? Pfft.. Overpen damage for you..never mind the AA gun was right under the citadel and that shell was plunging down. MAGIC INCOMPETENT DESIGN ACTIVATE! 

 

All component HP should be treated as part of the hull HP. Otherwise they should remove the superstructure damage from being part of the hull HP since its literally a completely separate component from the hull itself. No ship ever sank because an AP shell overpenned the superstructure. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6,661
[WORX]
Members
11,915 posts
19,466 battles
11 minutes ago, MemeFlerp said:

So 203 MM and 180mm which do destroy modules and do full  (825) damage on one shot , can not damage a module and do <300 damage on the next shot?  Yeah that makes no sense at all.

About as much sense as a 16" AP shell penning for 1300 damage and then 2600 and then 4200.  

Or as much as a shell going off in a turret, you know that metal box filled with propellant and Shells, causes NO damage to ship or the turret.  

Takes a serious genius to come up with that scheme.

I am going off what you stated,,, Now a more detailed information is here

Click on the playlist tab on the upper right corner... Then choose the following episodes.

 

  • SAP shells
  • Ballistics
  • HE shells
  • Armor
  • Module
  • Hit points

GL

The forum Can't give you more details then what I am posting... With no replay to what happen. We can only go off what you describe compared to the above mentioned in battle mechanics in play.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,610
[WOLF5]
Supertester
4,565 posts
4,223 battles

Yes, right now module hits can do no damage. However in 9.9 hitting the turrets will do overpen damage. Moving in the right direction.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
96 posts
16,124 battles
On 9/10/2020 at 11:50 PM, Navalpride33 said:

I am going off what you stated,,, Now a more detailed information is here

Click on the playlist tab on the upper right corner... Then choose the following episodes.

 

  • SAP shells
  • Ballistics
  • HE shells
  • Armor
  • Module
  • Hit points

GL

The forum Can't give you more details then what I am posting... With no replay to what happen. We can only go off what you describe compared to the above mentioned in battle mechanics in play.

BINGO.   The videos you listed for the rules is NOT WHAT IS HAPPENING.  That is my complaint.

In the example a US 203 HE round PENS for 462+462 for 924 total damage.   That is what is supposed to happen.   Now imagine that same pen does a total of 231 damage.

Where is the video that explains that?  These are on full health ships so damage saturation is not a factor.

That is what is happening.    The Roon HE does 825 on a pen how is that reduced to 250?    The Donskoi does 825 on an HE pen.    How does that pen do 213?

As to my BB AP example those are all pens on full health ships.  An Iowa hits for 4k pen  (follows the rules and makes sense). next shot, 2k damage on 1 pen(????).  next 1k pen (wait that's overpen damage on a pen) and again this is not against a damaged ship.   

   

  • Boring 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
96 posts
16,124 battles

Can anyone show me the guide/rule/explanation of why damage numbers are completely random?

An Izumo AP does 1290 damage on a pen to a full health ships?  Then the next time it does 2k damage?   The next time 4k (where its supposed to be)

Or is it just more piss poor WG programming?

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
406
[20CM]
Members
280 posts
5 minutes ago, MemeFlerp said:

Can anyone show me the guide/rule/explanation of why damage numbers are completely random?

An Izumo AP does 1290 damage on a pen to a full health ships?  Then the next time it does 2k damage?   The next time 4k (where its supposed to be)

Or is it just more piss poor WG programming?

 

 

 

I'm surprised to see you have 15k battles and asking this stuff already.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
314 posts
25 battles
2 minutes ago, MemeFlerp said:

Can anyone show me the guide/rule/explanation of why damage numbers are completely random?

An Izumo AP does 1290 damage on a pen to a full health ships?  Then the next time it does 2k damage?   The next time 4k (where its supposed to be)

Or is it just more piss poor WG programming?


1) Since Update 0.9.6 Hits to Main battery turrets

We've updated the mechanics behind the interactions between shells and main battery barbettes / turrets.

Previously, when a shell hit the main battery turret, damage was dealt only to the module itself, and the player received a "Penetration" ribbon without any actual damage having been dealt to the enemy ship. Now, hitting the main battery turret also entails a reduction in the ship's hit points.

The change will significantly reduce the number of no-damage penetrations.

Any damage dealt to a main battery turret also entails damage to the ship in the amount of 1/10 of the maximum damage of the shell.
The amount of damage dealt to the main battery turret modules in case of a penetration has been reduced 3.3 times.
The number of hit points for main battery turret modules has been reduced by half.
Damage affecting a ship's HP from a shell hitting any of the ship's main battery turrets can be restored completely using the Repair Party and Specialized Repair Teams consumables.
The barbette models have been updated.

2) Since 0.7.11 Damage to a destroyer (except Khabarovsk and Harugumo) caused by an AP shell with a calibre of 280 mm or larger cannot exceed 10% of the shell's maximum damage.

3) Damage Saturation

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
96 posts
16,124 battles
On 11/25/2020 at 12:40 PM, CHAOS_in_the_N1GHT said:

I'm surprised to see you have 15k battles and asking this stuff already.

I'm surprised no one has an answer.  Other than fan boy excuses.

  • Meh 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
96 posts
16,124 battles
On 11/25/2020 at 12:43 PM, SoothingWhaleSongEU said:


1) Since Update 0.9.6 Hits to Main battery turrets

We've updated the mechanics behind the interactions between shells and main battery barbettes / turrets.

Previously, when a shell hit the main battery turret, damage was dealt only to the module itself, and the player received a "Penetration" ribbon without any actual damage having been dealt to the enemy ship. Now, hitting the main battery turret also entails a reduction in the ship's hit points.

The change will significantly reduce the number of no-damage penetrations.

Any damage dealt to a main battery turret also entails damage to the ship in the amount of 1/10 of the maximum damage of the shell.
The amount of damage dealt to the main battery turret modules in case of a penetration has been reduced 3.3 times.
The number of hit points for main battery turret modules has been reduced by half.
Damage affecting a ship's HP from a shell hitting any of the ship's main battery turrets can be restored completely using the Repair Party and Specialized Repair Teams consumables.
The barbette models have been updated.

2) Since 0.7.11 Damage to a destroyer (except Khabarovsk and Harugumo) caused by an AP shell with a calibre of 280 mm or larger cannot exceed 10% of the shell's maximum damage.

3) Damage Saturation

2 & 3 not applicable as hits were to full health BB.

Okay so if the turret is hit it would show the same damage on a pen as an overpen.  So when the shell hits the Hull and does 1k damage,  are the main turrets now in the middle of the ship?  Below the smoke stack?   Or is the graphic showing where the shell hits completely screwed up also?  And  how does that explain 1 pen for 2k?

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6,074
[WOLFG]
Members
31,237 posts
9,589 battles

Actually, I have a related question.

How does a single Amagi AP shell do 2520 dmg to a DD that isn't a Khab or Hari?

Edited by Skpstr

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
477
[FOXY]
Members
1,211 posts
5,765 battles
5 minutes ago, Skpstr said:

Actually, I have a related question.

How does a single Amagi AP shell do 2520 dmg to a DD that isn't a Khab or Hari?

round fully penetrated? I dunno this last patch bugged so many things maybe it goofed up the RNG for round penetrations.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6,074
[WOLFG]
Members
31,237 posts
9,589 battles
24 minutes ago, Princess_Daystar said:

round fully penetrated? I dunno this last patch bugged so many things maybe it goofed up the RNG for round penetrations.

That's just it though. Under no circumstances should an AP shell 280mm or larger do any more than 10% damage to a DD. (other than the two I mentioned)

I mean, had the damage been less than I expected, I'd just assume it was any of a number of possibilities. But it was basically double the damage that should have been possible.

Not that I'm complaining, I was the one in the Amagi, and I was just happy to tag a maneuvering DD at 18+km. The extra damage was just an unexpected bonus lol.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,453
[BNKR]
[BNKR]
Members
2,765 posts
2,648 battles
1 minute ago, Skpstr said:

That's just it though. Under no circumstances should an AP shell 280mm or larger do any more than 10% damage to a DD. (other than the two I mentioned)

I mean, had the damage been less than I expected, I'd just assume it was any of a number of possibilities. But it was basically double the damage that should have been possible.

Not that I'm complaining, I was the one in the Amagi, and I was just happy to tag a maneuvering DD at 18+km. The extra damage was just an unexpected bonus lol.

I took 7k in a single salvo from a Vladivostok in my Orkan today.  He fired AP.  It would take 6 overpens to do that much, right?  6 hits on a DD out of a 9 gun salvo?  Even at close range this seems ridiculous. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6,074
[WOLFG]
Members
31,237 posts
9,589 battles
3 minutes ago, CaptainKaitoGhost said:

I took 7k in a single salvo from a Vladivostok in my Orkan today.  He fired AP.  It would take 6 overpens to do that much, right?  6 hits on a DD out of a 9 gun salvo?  Even at close range this seems ridiculous. 

Well yeah, but I could dismiss that, because I would just assume I had been hit by 6 shells.

This was a case where I was definitely the only one shooting, and the after Battle report said I only got him with one shell that did twice as much damage as it should have been able to.

I just can't see any way to arrive at that number.

Edited by Skpstr

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,453
[BNKR]
[BNKR]
Members
2,765 posts
2,648 battles
Just now, Skpstr said:

Well yeah, but I could dismiss that, because I would just assume I had been hit by 6 shells.

That's kind of what I did, until I read this thread.  I did ask the guy in all chat how many hits he got on me, but he didn't answer.  Now I'm starting to wonder if I took a full pen or two.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6,074
[WOLFG]
Members
31,237 posts
9,589 battles
38 minutes ago, CaptainKaitoGhost said:

That's kind of what I did, until I read this thread.  I did ask the guy in all chat how many hits he got on me, but he didn't answer.  Now I'm starting to wonder if I took a full pen or two.

Maybe, yeah.

Although in my case, a full pen would have been around 4k. 2520 is exactly 2 overpens.

Maybe he hit you with 3 shells, and they similarly doubled up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
477
[FOXY]
Members
1,211 posts
5,765 battles
31 minutes ago, Skpstr said:

Maybe, yeah.

Although in my case, a full pen would have been around 4k. 2520 is exactly 2 overpens.

Maybe he hit you with 3 shells, and they similarly doubled up.

Ill pay close attention tommorow when i play my cruisers and BBs. i havent been swapping to HE as much lately cause AP has been working just fine across the board.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×