You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Ensign_Cthulhu

I rammed the bot Montecuccoli in my Montecuccoli and survived...

13 comments in this topic

[ARGSY]
Members
22,400 posts
16,275 battles

...with no ramming flag.

How the heck did I survive? I thought like ramming like without flags was invariably fatal.

Replay attached; the ram is right at the end.

20200910_184215_PISC105-Raimondo-Montecuccoli_17_NA_fault_line.wowsreplay

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
24,793 posts
20,275 battles

Do you have survivability expert on your captain? I haven't watched the replay, but that might be what happened. Other than that, a ram should do a ship's max HP to the other ship yes, but a nudge doesn't necessarily.

[VRR]
[VRR]
Members
1,202 posts

I backed into a Nassau in coop last night ...just a slight nudge and I managed to push it back with only a bit of damage to it and my ship as well. Though it was gonna be insta death but it turned out to be a really cool event . Trapped in between it and a Konig Albert with all my secondary guns blazing was awesome and terrifying at the same time. . 

Edited by Versili

[SCREW]
Members
390 posts
18,214 battles

Bots never have upgraded ships. They're always stock. If you've upgraded the hull, or you have survivability expert on your captain, your base hp is higher than the bot in the same ship, so as long as you haven't taken much damage, you'll survive. 

• Thanks 1

Members
1,015 posts
1,401 battles

And if you're going slow enough weird things happen.

5 minutes ago, xTrowax said:

Bots never have upgraded ships. They're always stock.

I once rammed a bot and he survived even though I had the ramming flag. So I rammed him again!

[PVE]
Members
7,296 posts
23,183 battles
3 hours ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

...with no ramming flag.

How the heck did I survive? I thought like ramming like without flags was invariably fatal.

Replay attached; the ram is right at the end.

20200910_184215_PISC105-Raimondo-Montecuccoli_17_NA_fault_line.wowsreplay

Haven't watched replay (can't on phone) but speed matters...if you were going fast & it slow (especially under 5) you will win.

Was it full life vs full life?

Edited by IfYouSeeKhaos

[SCREW]
Members
390 posts
18,214 battles
4 hours ago, black_hull4 said:

And if you're going slow enough weird things happen.

I once rammed a bot and he survived even though I had the ramming flag. So I rammed him again!

Well, I'm assuming both these guys were going full speed. Haven't watched the vid since I'm not home. But when it comes down to relative speed and all that, I still don't know how that works. 

[TWFT]
Members
30 posts
9,937 battles

(Stale but not necro....)

I had this happen a day or two ago -- derpy replay attached.  In Massachusetts I bump a bot Alaska at very low speed combined speed.  Both of us take between 1 and 2k damage according to the detailed results page.  I didn't realize we'd actually rammed until after the battle.

The WoWS wiki page actually explains the outcome of the rare low speed ram pretty well:  https://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Ship:Ramming

I didn't know low speed moderate damage rams like this could happen.  I recalled sinking a bot Karlsruhe by ramming it in reverse with a Langley a few years ago.  The relative speed must have come almost entirely from the Karlsruhe which I T-boned amidships.  

20200920_201457_PASB518-Massachusetts_16_OC_bees_to_honey.wowsreplay

[ARGSY]
Members
22,400 posts
16,275 battles

I read the ramming article and considered things; the collision must have been at a low enough speed that we both dealt less than total damage, but I had the HP to survive that and the bot did not.

[CVA16]
Members
5,882 posts
18,105 battles
On 9/10/2020 at 3:27 PM, xTrowax said:

Bots never have upgraded ships. They're always stock.

Not true. They never have captain skills but I have seen them  in the team lineups  when I hover over them with stats that show they can have at least some of the upgrades. Not sure if they mount modules too.

[CO-OP]
Members
1,846 posts
26,656 battles

I got sonared by a bot yesterday, totally pointless in the situation just surprised the heck out of me. Ramming mechanic has always been a bit of a mystery to me, invariably you will ram and do a lot of damage, occasionally not enough occasionally you will survive, another RNG thing to deal with.

Members
1,015 posts
1,401 battles
On 9/21/2020 at 4:16 AM, Naxtos said:

I recalled sinking a bot Karlsruhe by ramming it in reverse with a Langley a few years ago.  The relative speed must have come almost entirely from the Karlsruhe which I T-boned amidships.  

Nope, a full HP Langley can basically ram any tier 4 cruiser & get away with it(provided they don't have Hotel Yankee).

[SWORD]
Members
41 posts
787 battles
On 9/10/2020 at 6:27 PM, xTrowax said:

Bots never have upgraded ships. They're always stock. If you've upgraded the hull, or you have survivability expert on your captain, your base hp is higher than the bot in the same ship, so as long as you haven't taken much damage, you'll survive. 

Not true anymore.

This used to be true, but no longer.   

It's RNG these days if you get a stock or upgraded bot ship.

Don't believe me?  Just hover your mouse over the ship lists before you start the battle.  Look at the hit point totals (and the AA ratings).  Sometimes you'll get two of the same ship in a game, and one might be stock and the other fully upgraded.   

• Cool 1