You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Zaydin

Nerf the Kitakaze already WG

81 comments in this topic

[DOTM]
Beta Testers
1,813 posts
13,038 battles

The thing is aggravating to play against with how overpowered as it is. It has no weaknesses; it outfights gunboat DDs, can hold its own with torpedoes, it burns BBs to the waterline and mauls cruisers that are meant to counter it with the absurd HE pen it is.

• Cool 5
  • Funny 2
  • Boring 4
  • Meh 18

[WOLFG]
Members
662 posts
14,096 battles

Try sneezing on it. It will detonate.

Edit: I was thinking of the Kitakami when I made the above comment, lol.

Edit 2: I think it was funny WG changed the name of the Yashima to Shikishima because they were "worried" people would get names confused with the Yoshino, but here I am, getting the Kitakaze mixed up with the Kitakami, lol.

Edited by Colonel_Potter
  • Cool 1
  • Funny 2
  • Haha 1

[DOTM]
Beta Testers
1,813 posts
13,038 battles
1 minute ago, Colonel_Potter said:

They smoke up the instant a shell lands in the water half a mile away and resume mauling you with the absurd HE pen they get on 100mm popguns.

• Boring 2

[BROOK]
Banned
2,260 posts
7 minutes ago, Zaydin said:

The thing is aggravating to play against with how overpowered as it is. It has no weaknesses; it outfights gunboat DDs, can hold its own with torpedoes, it burns BBs to the waterline and mauls cruisers that are meant to counter it with the absurd HE pen it is.

Let me guess. You just got a paddling from a Kitakaze and think WG should nerf it just for you.

• Cool 9
  • Funny 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3
  • Boring 2
  • Meh 3

[PROJX]
Beta Testers
788 posts
4,952 battles

I'd argue that it's too powerful for its tier, if it was moved to T10 it would still perform the same. 

It has the some of the highest DPM of its tier, very high HP, good speed, competitive concealment, the only thing holding it back is poor maneuverability. 

That being said, it's still a DD. Hydro, radar, and CVs will ruin it. Not to mention blind torps into its smokescreen. It's very sluggish and long, so it's easy to catch torpedoes. 

• Cool 5
  • Meh 1

[DHO-2]
Beta Testers
1,188 posts
11,067 battles
25 minutes ago, Zaydin said:

ROFL.

It wouldn't be a very good gunboat if it couldn't outfight other DDs would it??

The recommended build (LWM) has IFHE on the 100mm, so dunno how you get burned to death with that.  Sounds like you meet one with the fire flags and the other with IFHE.  I won't say can't, but very hard to have HE damage and fire damage in this.

Members
465 posts
20 battles
21 minutes ago, Zaydin said:

It has no weaknesses

Well Kitakaze is a decent ship at THE golden tier for DD's.  Saying it has no weaknesses is just false though - she handles poorly, her concealment is only average, and she's a big and easy to hit target.  Her shells are extremely light as well, so although they have very high muzzle velocity, her shell flight times balloon out massively at ranges above 12km.

There are plenty of great DD's that can hold their own with Kitakaze at tier 9.  She isn't really much stronger than her peers.  She also just got a pretty huge nerf, being now unable to pen 32mm armour.

So overall she's a good ship, but not OP.  I play a lot of tier 9 DD's, I almost never play Kita but am often playing against her, and she never strikes me as being OP in the slightest when fighting her.

• Funny 1

[RLGN]
Members
15,163 posts
26,804 battles
2 minutes ago, Moggytwo said:

So overall she's a good ship, but not OP.  I play a lot of tier 9 DD's, I almost never play Kita but am often playing against her, and she never strikes me as being OP in the slightest when fighting her.

The most 'fun' (loosely defined,) I've had, with the least aggrivation, has been in my Fletcher.

[UN1]
Members
1,293 posts
4,040 battles
1 hour ago, Moggytwo said:

She also just got a pretty huge nerf, being now unable to pen 32mm armour.

Not true. Her base pen was buffed to 30mm and with IFHE she'll do 37mm. 

• Cool 1

[BASIN]
[BASIN]
Members
4,351 posts
16,959 battles
2 hours ago, TheGreatBlasto said:

Let me guess. You just got a paddling from a Kitakaze and think WG should nerf it just for you.

:cap_cool:Sounds accurate

• Funny 1

Members
1,226 posts
5,930 battles

I would rather see Harugumo get some buffs, at the very least they should remove the AP full pen from it(and the Khab for that matter).

• Meh 3

[CLUMP]
Members
1,181 posts
1,485 battles

I am guessing this is the same DD I saw coop match melt a bot BB easily :Smile_popcorn:DD look like it had semi-automatic guns  or something  :Smile_ohmy:

Members
1,268 posts
9,893 battles

Don’t knock it till you try it. I’ve had great games in the Kitakaze no doubt about it. She’s a fun DD. But I’ve also had really bad games. I personally find the more flexible Jutland to be more powerful in the current random environment. Quick reload smoke truly helps in situations where a normal DD would be farmed to death. Kitakaze is by no means a weak DD, but that doesn’t mean she is without flaw. For example: she turns like a bus (for a dd) and requires you to be all the more attentive when sitting in smoke unlike Jutland that has both hydro and a more maneuverable turning circle.

[USCC2]
Members
6,274 posts
3 hours ago, PotatoMD said:

I'd argue that it's too powerful for its tier, if it was moved to T10 it would still perform the same. 

It has the some of the highest DPM of its tier, very high HP, good speed, competitive concealment, the only thing holding it back is poor maneuverability. 

That being said, it's still a DD. Hydro, radar, and CVs will ruin it. Not to mention blind torps into its smokescreen. It's very sluggish and long, so it's easy to catch torpedoes. 

(Also @Zaydin) Difficult for me, other to say it is one of the best DDs out there to kick out the damage - however it is a DD and if played against properly - will die. That's why I won't say it's OP but is something you want to give a little more 'respect' to when dealing with it lol.

A little like the DDs that are great AA platforms - CV players curse them and they are good at what they do and the CV players had better take that into consideration - but again, it's hard to say its OP because its good in an area - it can still be sent to the bottom if played well against. It's a view that can be levelled at all ship types really. Other ship types have similar examples where, they are just evil (in some way) in how they play, but if you catch them right , they die. Its all about realising that not everything is uniform just because it falls into a ship type or even nation. :Smile_honoring:

[KRAK]
Members
3,718 posts
21,738 battles
3 hours ago, Zaydin said:

Played quite a few games against these ships now and they all struggled to do anything meaningful. They appeared to have an almost zero impact on the match.

Members
0 posts

Jutland handles Kitakaze well. You just need to push into Kitakaze, make her smoke up, and torp. If she eats torps, great. If not, wait around for her smoke to run out, then engage her again. When she fires, use your smoke and farm her for a free 20 seconds of damage. Rinse and repeat. 

Kitakaze is like a sledgehammer. Lots of brute strength, but her weaknesses are in utility and maneuverability. Exploit these and you can come out on top. 

That being said, she is definitely one of the strongest ships in the game and I enjoy playing her.

[KWF]
Members
5,221 posts
6,659 battles

The problem with Kitakaze is twofold. First, she makes Harugumo look more like a sidegrade. For an extra turret (and I guess now a potential Unique Upgrade) you give up mobility, stealth, AP overpenetration.

Secondly, she does almost all roles very well. You can spam HE on almost any target since you got the HE pen of a CL, you can go after DDs since your concealment is competitive, your AP is something terrifying if anyone makes the mistake of showing broadside, and to top it off every once in a while you are able to dump 12 Shima torpedoes. No other ship comes close to that flexibility at that tier.

But anyway, if WG didn't change something like the HE pen to be /5 instead of /4 back when Kitas were flooding the server, I don't think they will bother now.

• Cool 1

[PVE]
Members
4,805 posts
21,154 battles
5 hours ago, Zaydin said:

Think.........it's a game and an arcade "shooter" to boot !  If they nerf the Kitty, they need to nerf every other HE spam ship in the game and THAT, isn't going to make a good arcade shooter any better......  It's been around for a long time now and as a IJN main, she gets played everyday I'm on along with here brother and sister DD's.....   Every Country's ships have to be "something" unique in an arcade shooter and the IJN has gun boats.   Now, imagine, if our hosts allowed that line of gun boats what they had in real life:  Radar...........  How much fun would that be in Randoms.......  I'd go back just for that !  And, I hate Randoms.........  AA Radar would be even better where when activated, it gave a 15KM ADA zone for 45 seconds where every ship in that zone's coverage received a 20% increase in their own effectivity !!!  After all, they were designed as AA picket ships !!!!   Oh, the alligator tears would be almost as bad as Update 8.0 and Carrier drivers would weep openly.........because, there'd be a DD they could not mess with at all.........  then, there'd be a reason to go back to Randoms......a fair fight.    

@Hapa_Fodder your team really needs to research AA Radar and AA Picket - Flak ships for the meta because they'd be a good remedy for the power creep Carriers at 8.0 introduced.  AA Radar would be an option to those ships that in reality were deployed as picket/Flak ships........   To balance that powerful tool, the IJN ships would have to give up IFHE.   Same with the Fletcher class: they would have to give up "x" since I don't own one.   The same with some CL"s that could use it.   This concept makes AA a real tool to master and would balance the meta.  I'd love to hear your thoughts....

Edited by Asym_KS

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
8,816 posts
15,410 battles

WG: "Message received, nerfing the Jutland reload again next patch!"

• Funny 1

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
24,781 posts
20,259 battles

While I'm not one to give in to 'OP PLS NERF' complaints, I've always found the Japanese 100mm quarter-pen buff a bit much. Maybe 1/5 pen?

• Cool 2

[-UCS-]
Members
110 posts
10,748 battles
5 hours ago, Colonel_Potter said:

^ This. Pretty fragile and is sluggish. Recommend sneezing AND coughing at it to secure the kill. 

[WOLFB]
Members
3,166 posts
7,550 battles

I have never seen one do well so I think she is fine how she is. She is easy to kill you just have to pay attention to the wall of torps.  

[SIDE]
Members
4,939 posts
5 hours ago, PotatoMD said:

It's is too powerful. 

It's the absurdity of being unseen in a cloud while being able to see out of the cloud.

Fix the one way mirror magic cloud and you fix a lot.

• Confused 1
  • Boring 1
  • Meh 3

[HELLS]
Members
2,753 posts
29,503 battles
5 hours ago, Zaydin said:

Leave my Kitty alone!