Sign in to follow this  
Herr_Reitz

Target Fixation - Don't fall for it!

4 comments in this topic

[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
13,186 posts

You've been pounding on that red BB with your BB... your ship is being pounded back by the same red BB, a cruiser and a DD. 

My first question would be "How did you get yourself into this situation?" Oh believe me, I've been there. 

But at some point in the engagement, your rational mind stepped out for a potty break or something, because there you are, firing on that BB when off to your port is a dd, well within MB range but outside your secondary range. Why, you'd only need to turn your MBs maybe oh, 30 or 40 degrees... but nope. You won't do it. You won't even consider doing it. You are gonna sink that... 

Bloop. You're sunk. Not by the BB nor the cruiser, but by the little DD just outside your secondary range. You might even be surprised you didn't get sunk by the BB or the cruiser. 

You friend, had Target Fixation. Or perhaps you are a Vengeance Vulture. 

Point being, think about it. Walking away from a loss without a kill to show for the loss of your BB, is that what you wanted? Whereas if you had Area Awareness, you would have seen that DD opportunity just literally sitting there, daring you to shoot him. He knew you wouldn't so he kept firing at you. He took you out. 

So... a suggestion. 

Try to practice using the minimap more and more and more so you know what's around you and where each ship is generally located. Take out the easy target first. Take one or more of them with you. Who knows, eh? If that DD had been taken out first, you might have had enough hull strength to have taken out the BB with a ram if you couldn't gun it down. 

Just a thought, a suggestion. Use it if you like. Or don't. 

• Boring 1

[PVE]
Members
7,326 posts
23,193 battles
2 hours ago, Herr_Reitz said:

...you might have had enough hull strength to have taken out the BB with a ram

1HP is enough hull strength to do that...damage to the hull doesn't effect that at all...the speed you are moving does so faster is better.

(Just read a link to the wiki on that yesterday...thought the same as you before that).

Edited by IfYouSeeKhaos

[POP]
Members
4,750 posts
12,813 battles

If you’re on my team, definitely read this and learn what it’s teaching. If you’re on the enemy team, please feel free to ignore this completely, there’s absolutely nothing accurate or helpful in it. :cap_book:

Sign in to follow this