You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
TarasBulba_

Smoke for Anchorage

18 comments in this topic

[ASHIP]
Members
138 posts
10,963 battles

Is it just me, or is the Anchorage receiving one less smoke than all the other ships that carry smoke? If so, then how come?

You only get 2 charges, but all the other ships that carry smoke, start off with 3.

[KRAK]
Members
3,718 posts
21,738 battles
42 minutes ago, TarasBulba_ said:

Is it just me, or is the Anchorage receiving one less smoke than all the other ships that carry smoke? If so, then how come?

You only get 2 charges, but all the other ships that carry smoke, start off with 3.

Smolensk only gets 2. I think Grozoi only gets 2 as well.

Edited by Vaffu

[-TRM-]
[-TRM-]
Members
1,731 posts
5,379 battles

Three with superintendent and thats it.

For me thats sufficient. The smoke is the one thing that can prevent you from being sunk or detected until the enemies get close enough for a torp solution.

[O7]
Members
1,032 posts
5,166 battles
2 hours ago, TarasBulba_ said:

In its current state its already more powerful than even the Belfast

What more could you ask for?

• Haha 1

Members
1,762 posts
11,717 battles
20 minutes ago, DolphinPrincess said:

In its current state its already more powerful than even the Belfast

What more could you ask for?

You think everything is overpowered so forgive me for having doubts.

• Cool 1
  • Haha 4

[O7]
Members
1,032 posts
5,166 battles
Just now, Rouxi said:

You think everything is overpowered so forgive me for having doubts.

Well people generally dont talk about ships that are balanced

• Sad 1

Members
1,762 posts
11,717 battles
1 minute ago, DolphinPrincess said:

Well people generally dont talk about ships that are balanced

I think we use different definitions of overpowered. You seem to go by skill ceiling so even if it's only the top 0.5% players that can do magic with it you still consider it OP. Where as I think most people go by skill floor so if most people perform better in a ship than they do in a similar ship they would consider it OP.

• Cool 1

[O7]
Members
1,032 posts
5,166 battles
3 minutes ago, Rouxi said:

I think we use different definitions of overpowered. You seem to go by skill ceiling so even if it's only the top 0.5% players that can do magic with it you still consider it OP. Where as I think most people go by skill floor so if most people perform better in a ship than they do in a similar ship they would consider it OP.

I usually judge a ship based on its performance to the meta, basically how well it does against other classes and its checks and counters

Take Anchorage vs Belfast for example:

Both have smokes and play a centralized position role, AA is irrelevant since rework but each have some way to mitigate damage until smoke expires. I would rate them as even here.

Against BBs the Anchorage have a very clear advantage. First of all, its got 32mm pen by default, Belfast does not reach 32mm even with IFHE. Second of all, Anchorage have 27mm plating, this means that it is no longer checked by 380mm BBs unlike Belfast. Finally, Anchorage have torpedoes, which means BBs cannot charge its smoke.

Against cruisers its even. Anchorage have the advantage of alpha and massive AP penetration. But Belfast have the DPM and trading advantage with better stealth. Anchorage is mainly checked and countered because it can see T10s while Belfast is countered by lack of longevity. 

Against destroyers is where it gets interesting. At first, Belfast seems like a clear winner due to radar, however, because of its plating, its penetrated in the entire section by destroyers. Which means something like a Minsk is not only a check, but a counter. Anchorage does not have this problem and is only limited by checks due to its ability to fully resist DD HE. So the T8 equivalent of Minsk, the Kiev, does not counter it and is at most a check.

Dont get me wrong, Belfast is still very much overpowered, but its not on the level of the Gremmy and Anchorage.

• Cool 1
  • Confused 1
  • Boring 1

[MHG]
Members
326 posts
20,052 battles
25 minutes ago, DolphinPrincess said:

I usually judge a ship based on its performance to the meta, basically how well it does against other classes and its checks and counters

Take Anchorage vs Belfast for example:

Both have smokes and play a centralized position role, AA is irrelevant since rework but each have some way to mitigate damage until smoke expires. I would rate them as even here.

Against BBs the Anchorage have a very clear advantage. First of all, its got 32mm pen by default, Belfast does not reach 32mm even with IFHE. Second of all, Anchorage have 27mm plating, this means that it is no longer checked by 380mm BBs unlike Belfast. Finally, Anchorage have torpedoes, which means BBs cannot charge its smoke.

Against cruisers its even. Anchorage have the advantage of alpha and massive AP penetration. But Belfast have the DPM and trading advantage with better stealth. Anchorage is mainly checked and countered because it can see T10s while Belfast is countered by lack of longevity. 

Against destroyers is where it gets interesting. At first, Belfast seems like a clear winner due to radar, however, because of its plating, its penetrated in the entire section by destroyers. Which means something like a Minsk is not only a check, but a counter. Anchorage does not have this problem and is only limited by checks due to its ability to fully resist DD HE. So the T8 equivalent of Minsk, the Kiev, does not counter it and is at most a check.

Dont get me wrong, Belfast is still very much overpowered, but its not on the level of the Gremmy and Anchorage.

Interesting. I was planning to skip on it as many said the long reload combined with large smoke firing detection makes it a meh to good boat at best. Might pick it up after all. +1

[O7]
Supertester
340 posts
13,020 battles

Anchorage gets 2 smoke charges base, 3 with SI. 2 smoke charges on a cruiser is pretty common, given that Italian cruisers, Smolensk, and Kutuzov all carry 2 charges. 

Also keep in mind Anchorage smoke has a long duration of 30s of lay time and 104s smoke duration.  (For reference, T8 RN CL Edinburgh has 15s of lay time and 106s on her smoke duration)

With good quality smoke and cruiser firepower,  Anchorage only needs 3 smoke charges. 

• Cool 1

[FOXEH]
Banned
14,364 posts
20,282 battles
4 hours ago, TarasBulba_ said:

Not true; there are other ships which start off with only 2 smoke charges. You have to hunt for them, but they're there.

[-CK-]
Members
23 posts
8,239 battles

The smoke on this ship is absolutely worthless. As such, the ship is junk. The torpedoes, smoke and 12 guns are all gimmicks. The smoke while taking a long time to deploy really doesn't do anything to help hide the ship. I tried this ship in ranked, deployed smoke and then got obliterated by a group of 3 BBs sitting 10km away. I will not use this ship ever again for anything other than co-op. Very disappointed. Just a floating gimmick.

[ODIN]
Members
211 posts
8,277 battles
2 minutes ago, Martard said:

The smoke on this ship is absolutely worthless. As such, the ship is junk. The torpedoes, smoke and 12 guns are all gimmicks. The smoke while taking a long time to deploy really doesn't do anything to help hide the ship. I tried this ship in ranked, deployed smoke and then got obliterated by a group of 3 BBs sitting 10km away. I will not use this ship ever again for anything other than co-op. Very disappointed. Just a floating gimmick.

Lol, for one you're reviving a dead thread, and two, the smoke isn't bad. You just don't understand smoke firing penalties. as long as no on is inside said penalty range, then Anchorage is a fairly powerful cruiser.

[ARS]
Beta Testers
5,282 posts
5,785 battles
On 9/10/2020 at 4:49 PM, Hearsel said:

The smokescreen doesnt appear to be working to conceal. Must be a flaw ?

She is a CA.  Gun bloom in smoke will be significantly greater than the gun bloom in smoke for DDs and CLs.