Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
iamSamoth

New monitor

9 comments in this topic

[WOLFO]
Members
594 posts
5,491 battles

Awhile back I thought I lost a new rig I had gotten recently. Came to eventually understand it was the monitor.

So, this time I went even more in, the errant monitor was a fancy-smancy gaming Acer(Acer Nitro VG240Y Pbiip 23.8 Inches Full HD (1920 x 1080) IPS Gaming Monitor with AMD Radeon FREESYNC Technology, Zero Frame, 144Hz, 1ms VRB, (2 x HDMI 2.0 Ports & 1 x Display Port), Black). A brand I have always had good luck with.

This time I went for a modern monitor(Monoprice Zero-G Gaming Monitor - 27 Inch, WQHD With AMD FreeSync, 2560x1440p@144Hz, 1ms, HDR, 400nits, TN )that has the super big resolution 2560x1440. It's huge!

And so now, I have to play WoW in a smaller resolution, my rig can't handle it at that high-scale. But, when I close WoW, it moves and resizes the Steam window. I wrote to steam support, they said it would be on my end. Like OS, or something... I figured I'd ask if this is something that programmers need to consider nowadays? I do keep the desktop in the broad resolution, 2560x1440, and play the game in a significantly smaller res.

In my day we didn't really have many resolution choices, so in my testing years it wasn't a huge issue. But, I'm hoping to find out if this is something you guys might be able to address? Or if I need to follow-up elsewhere. And I still really don't know which one is the better monitor, they are both really good. The Acer just stopped working afaik, gonna see if they can fix it.

Edited by iamSamoth

[WORX]
Members
11,966 posts
19,495 battles
13 minutes ago, iamSamoth said:

Awhile back I thought I lost a new rig I had gotten recently. Came to eventually understand it was the monitor.

So, this time I went even more in, the errant monitor was a fancy-smancy gaming Acer. A brand I have always had good luck with. This time I went for a modern monitor(Monoprice Zero-G Gaming Monitor - 27 Inch, WQHD With AMD FreeSync, 2560x1440p@144Hz, 1ms, HDR, 400nits, TN )that has the super big resolution 2560x1440. It's huge!

And so now, I have to play WoW in a smaller resolution, my rig can't handle it at that high-scale. But, when I close WoW, it moves and resizes the Steam window. I wrote to steam support, they said it would be on my end. Like OS, or something... I figured I'd ask if this is something that programmers need to consider nowadays? In my day we didn't really have many resolution choices, so in my testing years it wasn't a huge issue. But, I'm hoping to find out if this is something you guys might be able to address? Or if I need to follow-up elsewhere.

Few things... Not clear in your post (it left me wondering more)...

• Do you have the right cables for the monitor?
    • Others reported wrong cabling from the monitor to the GPU card.
  • Are your cables right but are installed/connected the right way ?
    • Users have found they put the cables in the wrong connector. After knowing the error its a fixed issue
  • Did you install the hardware correctly with the PC?
  • Did you installed the right software for the monitor?
  • Did you format the monitor for the correct size and resolution?
    • Does that size and resolution, is supported and handled correctly with your GPU card ?
  • Did you check to see in WOWS settings. What resolution and size works for your Monitor and GPU set up ?

This is just the main points for you to investigate..

GL

Edited by Navalpride33

[WOLFO]
Members
594 posts
5,491 battles
12 minutes ago, Navalpride33 said:

Few things... Not clear in your post (it left me wondering more)...

• Do you have the right cables for the monitor?
    • Others reported wrong cabling from the monitor to the GPU card.
  • Are your cables right but are installed/connected the right way ?
    • Users have found they put the cables in the wrong connector. After knowing the error its a fixed issue
  • Did you install the hardware correctly with the PC?
  • Did you installed the right software for the monitor?
  • Did you format the monitor for the correct size and resolution?
    • Does that size and resolution, is supported and handled correctly with your GPU card ?
  • Did you check to see in WOWS settings. What resolution and size works for your Monitor and GPU set up ?

This is just the main points for you to investigate..

GL

nice,  ty..

yes

yes

none that i know of came with it, I have yet to find specific drivers, anywhere....

The desktop is set for the big res 2560x1440, and the game is set for a smaller res. I'd have to go in and look. It's an odd setting also, not like 1920x1080

as stated above, things are set for runtime functionality. And it has not happened after running any other games I have. It only happens when executing this program.

Edited by iamSamoth

[WORX]
Members
11,966 posts
19,495 battles
8 minutes ago, iamSamoth said:

nice,  ty..

yes

yes

none that i know of came with it, I have yet to find specific drivers, anywhere....

The desktop is set for the big res 2560x1440, and the game is set for a smaller res. I'd have to go in and look. It's an odd setting also, not like 1920x1080

as stated above, things are set for runtime functionality. And it has not happened after running any other games I have. It only happens when executing this program.

WOWS is very picky on graphic settings, other programs are not so picky... Yeah I that I know...

Just double check on what I listed to see if that will give you an idea... As to where and what is the issue.

[WOLF5]
Supertester
4,579 posts
4,223 battles

So you're not running WOWS at the monitor native resolution?

I have the same resolution monitor, and run with no issues on a GTX 1050. My experience is if you try and run the game in a different resolution than everything else every time you change windows the screen has to resize because you changed resolution. Also, if you aren't running in fullscreen then the aspect ratio is going to be different, which may also cause you issues. Try running at 1920*1080 in full screen. That should be the same aspect ratio and may help with the resizing issues. But the window change is still forcing the system to change resolution, so it may still have to resize when you tab out or close the game.

That said, are you sure you can't run at 1440? I run my 32" 1440 monitor off a 1050 card in a laptop on almost max settings for WOWS and get about 50 FPS. Unless you have quite an old card I'd be surprised if you can't get good FPS at 1440 by tweaking the settings a bit.

[WOLFO]
Members
594 posts
5,491 battles

i just ran it, and something else weird happens. When I try to take a screen snip(shft+win+s) it minimizes the game and puts me back at the desktop.

So, I found that I run in 1920x1080, in game. Fullscreen. It's jumpy if I run at 2500 res. it gives me the option to run it at 2560x1440. It has all kinds of strange res options.... It did fix the resizing issue to set it to big settings, tho'

Edited by iamSamoth

[WOLF5]
Supertester
4,579 posts
4,223 battles
54 minutes ago, iamSamoth said:

i just ran it, and something else weird happens. When I try to take a screen snip(shft+win+s) it minimizes the game and puts me back at the desktop.

So, I found that I run in 1920x1080, in game. Fullscreen. It's jumpy if I run at 2500 res. it gives me the option to run it at 2560x1440. It has all kinds of strange res options.... It did fix the resizing issue to set it to big settings, tho'

Hmm, odd. Not exactly my cup of tea. I'd suggest playing around with your settings. Both the games, monitor, and PC. I'd check your graphics cards info to see what it's compatible with (refresh rate, resolution, etc). Maybe a graphics driver update as well. My guess is you just need to get your PC (GPU), monitor, and game all on the same page about that they're doing. Unfortunately I think the best way to do that is simply to sit down and play with the settings.

Members
3,664 posts
42,448 battles

There is a slider on the right in graphics settings. I set mine to max resolution which is 4k. Then I set it to windows full screen. I adjust the slider on right side until I am happy with it. Mine is about the middle of the slider.

Depending on cables most high resolution monitors will tell you that the HDMI is a lower setting resolution and the display port is a higher one. Refer to the manual if there is a difference. Some manufacturers will not support the higher resolution unless using a specific port. Then additional ports are typically a lower resolution for dual monitor setup. Some cards have 3 ports. The old with two screws, HDMI, and display port which is the latest.

You should be able to run with your card Max resolution unless the monitor limits it in some way.

1440 is ideal, 1080 is good, 4k and the newer ones are off the hook amazing.

Refresh rate is key of course. But not all monitors are created equal.

I do just fine with 4 k because it is amazing the details you can get and use when operating CVs and BBs. 1440 is also in that details range. 1080 will do fine so long as refresh is decent.

It seems to me you will have to adjust settings and look in some manuals. Then tweak the game on the settings for graphics as a last step.

A key note is to run card in game mode only as midrange benchmark and not apply changes while in silent mode or overclock mode.

Look in windows settings for additional support as some services can be stopped while playing if you just assign the game in the gaming section of windows settings.

Refer to microsoft website for help with this and you should do great once configured. There are very helpful articles on enabling game mode and making sure your games are assigned to the mode.  Because updates are even not allowed in this mode so you don't get interrupted in a match. 

Good luck and I might say, you have a gem of a monitor. You should have a lot of great experiences with it.

Have fun. <O

[WOLFO]
Members
594 posts
5,491 battles

Went through a bunch of resolutions, ended up on this weirdness... It plays on the desktop, with a slight frame around it... :) Runs much smoother this way. About the best I found. I also have just the bare min req's for this... Which seems crazy, but whatevs...

2544x1401 ?!? wut, lol ;p

image.thumb.png.fb25079d9df888f9f044130ca45ff07c.png

It'd be nice to have the option of low res textures on islands. And calm, matte-finish water.

Edited by iamSamoth

Sign in to follow this