You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
sasquatch_research

Aiming Bug

18 comments in this topic

[WAMMY]
Members
2,510 posts
13,953 battles

Hey

If you have 2 ships a few KM apart, one behind the other and you aim for the rear ship; the shells will land between the two, not hitting either one.  Have had this happen many times, kind of frustrating.  It's like the game doesn't know which one your aiming for and splits the differnce.

Pete

[PVE]
Members
7,269 posts
23,114 battles
5 hours ago, sasquatch_research said:

Hey

If you have 2 ships a few KM apart, one behind the other and you aim for the rear ship; the shells will land between the two, not hitting either one.  Have had this happen many times, kind of frustrating.  It's like the game doesn't know which one your aiming for and splits the differnce.

Pete

That happens if you are locked on the front 1 (or not locked onto either one)...aim directly (don't lead) at the rear one & hit the X key & it will toggle your lock onto the rear 1 & then readjust your lead for the rear 1 & your shells will hit it.

Hope this helps.

Edited by IfYouSeeKhaos

[WULUF]
[WULUF]
Members
1,456 posts

One thing I have noticed.... people with THOUSANDS of battles under their belt not knowing the basics of the game... this X key is a classic example... others cannot find the place to input gift vouchers....

Many other examples. The worst would be those that do not know how to aim torpedoes....

No offense to the OP... but you have played many battles... not knowing about the X key is a n00b mistake. YOU are not a n00b.

• Meh 1

[WAMMY]
Members
2,510 posts
13,953 battles
8 hours ago, kiwi1960 said:

One thing I have noticed.... people with THOUSANDS of battles under their belt not knowing the basics of the game... this X key is a classic example... others cannot find the place to input gift vouchers....

Many other examples. The worst would be those that do not know how to aim torpedoes....

No offense to the OP... but you have played many battles... not knowing about the X key is a n00b mistake. YOU are not a n00b.

Hey

This is not the problem I am seeing.  I am locked onto the rear ship, and fire before it sails behind the ship in front of it but the shells land short between the two, not even close to where they should have landed.  As for the X key; there is an issue where you can't select the closest ship to you by trying to cycle through targets using the X key, it will only select a couple of ships but won't actually select the ship closest to you, happened last night.  You have to manually select the target, since you can't cycle through all ships in your gun range.

Pete

[WULUF]
[WULUF]
Members
1,456 posts
2 hours ago, sasquatch_research said:

Hey

This is not the problem I am seeing.  I am locked onto the rear ship, and fire before it sails behind the ship in front of it but the shells land short between the two, not even close to where they should have landed.  As for the X key; there is an issue where you can't select the closest ship to you by trying to cycle through targets using the X key, it will only select a couple of ships but won't actually select the ship closest to you, happened last night.  You have to manually select the target, since you can't cycle through all ships in your gun range.

Pete

Been playing for 5 years, NEVER seen that problem before. EDIT:: Except, yes, sometimes, you need to be very exact when pointing AT the ship when pressing X ... but if you are aware of the problem, its no biggie.

Edited by kiwi1960
  • Meh 1

[WG]
WG Staff
360 posts
9,826 battles

I literally had a couple of games that match the criteria and haven't experience this. In case if you have this issue please submit a CS ticket and include a ticket and WGcheck ticket. If there's a bug that should be enough to identify it for CS team

[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
13,179 posts

What I HAVE seen happens is this: You have a target locked and just as you fire, another target moves between you and the first target. The new target causes the targeting to switch off to the second (new) target but at just about the moment you pulled the trigger. The rounds go splash between the ships. 

Makes me mad as all get out when it happens. It does happen. 

• Cool 1
  • Thanks 1

Members
351 posts
12,059 battles
On 9/9/2020 at 7:20 PM, sasquatch_research said:

Hey

If you have 2 ships a few KM apart, one behind the other and you aim for the rear ship; the shells will land between the two, not hitting either one.  Have had this happen many times, kind of frustrating.  It's like the game doesn't know which one your aiming for and splits the difference.

Pete

I have known about this for a long time. You can use this to a advantage, by moving your ship close to a team mate and watch the shells fall short.

It also happens when a target ship, moves to a island, so you have to aim higher.

[WOLFO]
Members
590 posts
5,489 battles

i still have some reservations about the T5 BB's. the french BB yesterday was dropping short it felt, I had to aim high to get shells centered.

The same sensation as the video I posted so long ago. My shells falling well short... Just seems no way that dispersion could account for such a precipitous degradation in trajectory. Even if it compounded by the X factor of natural dispersion for that(my) ship line, in addition to the mitigating factors of dispersion being presented by the defender.

and many of my examples are, would be, open water shots. Just involving distances of 10-12km or more, it seems. It's much less prevalent, imho, up close.

Edited by iamSamoth

[BTLST]
Members
683 posts
10,721 battles

I long ago gave up trying to use the "X" key to lock onto a target.    That is because nothing has ever happened when I press the "X" key, nor with any combination of other keys.      I would love to have it work but have been unable thus far (sine 2017) to get it to do anything.   ?????

[KOBK]
Members
379 posts
4,736 battles
18 hours ago, Herr_Reitz said:

What I HAVE seen happens is this: You have a target locked and just as you fire, another target moves between you and the first target. The new target causes the targeting to switch off to the second (new) target but at just about the moment you pulled the trigger. The rounds go splash between the ships. 

Makes me mad as all get out when it happens. It does happen. 

This also happened to me. I dont know if the system is intended to auto switch to the nearest target but its frustrating...

[ALL41]
Beta Testers
2,363 posts
10,236 battles
On 9/10/2020 at 2:47 PM, kiwi1960 said:

Been playing for 5 years, NEVER seen that problem before. EDIT:: Except, yes, sometimes, you need to be very exact when pointing AT the ship when pressing X ... but if you are aware of the problem, its no biggie.

The issue is that pressing X does not help. There is a slight delay in what the UI shows you and what the server is having your ship do/aim at. 

The problem is the game auto-switches target. There is no option to NOT have it do this. 

Here's a better way to illustrate what the OP is seeing (it happens to me as well):

There is a DD 2km away from a flat broadside BB  and its between you and that BB... and the DD is sailing towards you. 

You have the BB targeted. Since you aim at waterline your aimpoint drifts into the DD's icon/superstructure area. 

From your point of view, you fired with the BB aimed. But from the server's point of view, the target auto-switched to the DD. It only updates your UI after you fire (the whole 'target BB and aim and fire' happens in a second). 

Result? Your shells get fired with the DD as the vertical aimpoint reference. Your shells end up landing behind the DD and splashing short of the BB. 

Pressing X does not resolve this. You don't know nor can know WHEN the game auto-switches your target but it tells the server first not you. 

This could easily be resolved if WG adds a settings option to not auto-target ships. 

Another issue related to this is that the game for some stupid reason always defaults to the REAR turrets as the aim POV. This makes ships with 2 fore 1 aft turrets have aiming issues due to angles. The moment the rear turret has LOS on target it will default to it the moment you go into gun aim view. This results in a shot that shouldve been hitting the citadels of a target be hitting a spot too far ahead and if your ship is highly angled, the fore turrets would end up firing too high...all because the aimpoint POV is the rear turret. You can easily see the difference just by aiming the rear turret at a static broadside target's waterline while your ships is angled just enough to allow rear turret LOS on it... and then switch to forward turret view..and look where the fore turrets are aiming: too high and a bit forward from the rear turret's aimpoint. 

There should be an option to say 'default aim POV fore turret' so players can choose which turret is their default POV. 

[SCREW]
Members
390 posts
18,175 battles

What they need is to give us an option to turn off the auto lock-on. It screws you over far more than it helps. In reality, I wish they'd remove the whole lock on and aiming assistance mechanics completely, but they've already stated that will never happen. 

[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
13,179 posts
6 hours ago, Skyfaller said:

This could easily be resolved if WG adds a settings option to not auto-target ships. 

Another issue related to this is that the game for some stupid reason always defaults to the REAR turrets as the aim POV. This makes ships with 2 fore 1 aft turrets have aiming issues due to angles. The moment the rear turret has LOS on target it will default to it the moment you go into gun aim view. This results in a shot that shouldve been hitting the citadels of a target be hitting a spot too far ahead and if your ship is highly angled, the fore turrets would end up firing too high...all because the aimpoint POV is the rear turret. You can easily see the difference just by aiming the rear turret at a static broadside target's waterline while your ships is angled just enough to allow rear turret LOS on it... and then switch to forward turret view..and look where the fore turrets are aiming: too high and a bit forward from the rear turret's aimpoint. 

There should be an option to say 'default aim POV fore turret' so players can choose which turret is their default POV. 

I concur and agree... these are valid requests, certainly within their skill abilities to do. 

31 minutes ago, xTrowax said:

In reality, I wish they'd remove the whole lock on and aiming assistance mechanics completely, but they've already stated that will never happen.

What's fun is when you can see rounds shifting their arc to hunt you down. If you haven't seen it, watch more closely, you WILL see it happening. 

I agree with you too, as an option, for those who want it off, it can be switched off. But I also know there is likely a communication stream involved in the process that, without the linked up aiming, very few shells would probably ever connect with any amount of regularity. 

[SCREW]
Members
390 posts
18,175 battles
2 hours ago, Herr_Reitz said:

I concur and agree... these are valid requests, certainly within their skill abilities to do. 

What's fun is when you can see rounds shifting their arc to hunt you down. If you haven't seen it, watch more closely, you WILL see it happening. 

I agree with you too, as an option, for those who want it off, it can be switched off. But I also know there is likely a communication stream involved in the process that, without the linked up aiming, very few shells would probably ever connect with any amount of regularity. 

Yeah, that's another thing that needs to be addressed. Shooting without a target sends your shells in the most ludicrous spread I've ever seen. 

[TIAR]
[TIAR]
Beta Testers
1,448 posts
21,573 battles

Just for the record, happened to me this Saturday. 

I assumed it was a bug but forgot to set the replay aside for a ticket.

May be some bug got in last patch?

Members
351 posts
12,059 battles

It happened to me , today. I was locked on to target and shells fell short twice, because another Red ship came close to my target.