You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.

16 comments in this topic

Members
4 posts
238 battles

Hi, I've been playing World of Warships for almost a month now, and I still don't know which Heavy Cruiser to pick from which Nation, that would fit my needs.

I want a ship that has a rate of fire in between medium to high for Artillery; for HP on a scale of 1-10 I'd say 8 - and lots of armor covering the torpedo depth level of the citadel is required; High AA Defense; torpedoes would be nice - but I'm fine with not having them if I can't (but don't give me a ship that doesn't have torpedoes and has everything else if there's another ship suggestion that does have torpedoes and my other needs just to be a jerk); speed, acceleration, and maneuverability need to be good; I don't care about concealment. If a ship's upgrades will boost its stats to my needs then I'm fine with spending resources and credits for that to happen.

Hopefully someone can help me out.

[HINON]
Members
13,821 posts
15 minutes ago, JusticeFighter02 said:

I'd suggest running multiple nations you are interested in to t6 to better grasp what you find enjoyable. Maybe you discover you actually love the AP only smoke using RN light cruisers. Plenty of the T10 heavy cruisers are nice including the Des Moines, Zao, Henri, Hindenburg etc.

Edited by RipNuN2
  • Thanks 1

Members
6,189 posts
7,986 battles

Hindenburg is probably the closest to what you're looking for. Her maneuverability is a smidge on the sluggish side, as all German cruisers are, but she didn't get the moniker Battleship Hindenburg out of nowhere.

She's tough, has great DPM (excellent HE penetration and high AP alpha), decent AA, 8 torps per side, excellent hydro, and okay concealment. Hindenburg is the Swiss army knife of the T10 cruisers in my opinion. She can do virtually anything you want or need.

• Thanks 1

[TBW]
Members
10,737 posts
18,460 battles

Do you have German lineage? because it sounds like you want the German line. Zoup talks about re-finding his love for the Hindenburg.

Edited by Sovereigndawg
  • Thanks 1

Members
4 posts
238 battles

No, I don't have German lineage. My family tree consists of: French-Canadian (New Brunswick), British, Irish, Scottish, and Slovenian. Also, I wish I didn't like the specs of the German line. I'm a big History nerd and I hate everything that's German from WWII (excluding the MP 40) because of what they did to people - I know it's just a game but WWII Germany doesn't sit well with me. I've been trying to find something I like from the Allies.

Members
1,107 posts
4,792 battles
1 hour ago, JusticeFighter02 said:

No, I don't have German lineage. My family tree consists of: French-Canadian (New Brunswick), British, Irish, Scottish, and Slovenian. Also, I wish I didn't like the specs of the German line. I'm a big History nerd and I hate everything that's German from WWII (excluding the MP 40) because of what they did to people - I know it's just a game but WWII Germany doesn't sit well with me. I've been trying to find something I like from the Allies.

If you have that case, then Des Moines sounds like your ship. 

Good durability, stupidly fast firing guns, excellent AA, decent maneuverability, very good stealth, radar. 

The one thing that you don't have is torpedoes, but the base reload on your guns is 5.5 seconds, which, for 203mm guns, is insane. 

-Shrayes

• Thanks 1

[PVE]
Members
1,124 posts
9,566 battles

It doesn't have torpedoes, but the Des Moines is a strong ship. Tanky enough, high rate of fire, 203mm guns but with higher pen than other nations of the same caliber, radar, and is even a good fire starter.

Alternatively Moskva is around for coal (I think), she doesn't have torps either but larger guns with lol pen and a very tanky nose.

• Thanks 1

[LANCE]
Members
846 posts
6,305 battles
1 hour ago, JusticeFighter02 said:

Point of interest there mate .... Scotland and Northern Ireland are part of Britain.

Hindy is the perfect fit for your wants but as other have also suggested there’s plenty to choose from in the CA lineup.

Good luck mate!

• Thanks 1

[RKLES]
[RKLES]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
6,360 posts
22,158 battles
3 hours ago, JusticeFighter02 said:

Hi, I've been playing World of Warships for almost a month now, and I still don't know which Heavy Cruiser to pick from which Nation, that would fit my needs.

I want a ship that has a rate of fire in between medium to high for Artillery; for HP on a scale of 1-10 I'd say 8 - and lots of armor covering the torpedo depth level of the citadel is required; High AA Defense; torpedoes would be nice - but I'm fine with not having them if I can't (but don't give me a ship that doesn't have torpedoes and has everything else if there's another ship suggestion that does have torpedoes and my other needs just to be a jerk); speed, acceleration, and maneuverability need to be good; I don't care about concealment. If a ship's upgrades will boost its stats to my needs then I'm fine with spending resources and credits for that to happen.

Des Moines or Petrapovlosk 

• Thanks 1

[FOXEH]
Banned
14,364 posts
20,307 battles
5 hours ago, JusticeFighter02 said:

I'll try to help you out. Many here have suggested both the German or the American cruiser lines; and both (actually I should say all three since the USN cruiser split) are filled with good, solid and competitive ships.

Allow me to suggest an alternative .....

Try French cruisers.

Up through tier 6 they are light cruisers with good torps, good maneuverability, and fast but hard hitting guns. 

At tier 7 they get even better. First with Algerie, then Chuck Martel, Saint Louis, and Henri IV, which at tier 10 is a stone cold killer. They are fast, they can twist and turn, and they can hit back like the hand of God. And they are a ton of fun to play, and easy to improve in with each match.

Give them a shot; I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.

• Thanks 1

[LANCE]
Members
846 posts
6,305 battles

As Umikami mentioned tier 7, one thing to keep in mind is that most ships don’t really get there “flair” or split between light cruiser (CL) and heavy cruiser (CA) until after tier 6 so a good way to decide what line suits you at an early stage in your WoWs career is to log into the test server. That’ll give you a change to play some ships at the higher tiers to see which ones you like. I’d suggest trying all the 7-10’s just to get a feel of each of the changes.

Good luck mate!

• Thanks 1

[KRAK]
Members
1,473 posts
15,924 battles
On 9/9/2020 at 11:35 PM, MasterDiggs said:

It doesn't have torpedoes, but the Des Moines is a strong ship. Tanky enough, high rate of fire, 203mm guns but with higher pen than other nations of the same caliber, radar, and is even a good fire starter.

Alternatively Moskva is around for coal (I think), she doesn't have torps either but larger guns with lol pen and a very tanky nose.

Moskva used to pen but AP is less effective than HE, lots of AP bounces.

[PVE]
Members
1,124 posts
9,566 battles
4 minutes ago, Hull Speed said:

Moskva used to pen but AP is less effective than HE, lots of AP bounces.

I still get occasional citadel hits on BBs that I wouldn't in something like Des Moines, but you are correct that the HE is better in many circumstances.

[KRAK]
Members
1,473 posts
15,924 battles
4 minutes ago, MasterDiggs said:

I still get occasional citadel hits on BBs that I wouldn't in something like Des Moines, but you are correct that the HE is better in many circumstances.

The CIT kings are Petrapovlosk and Stalingrad.

Members
47 posts
4,012 battles
On 9/9/2020 at 9:37 PM, JusticeFighter02 said:

I'm surprised you got ANY responses when you threw in that confrontational little highlighted comment.  I don't really know too much about all the ships to offer any advice, but if I did, that would have turned me off, although, with that attitude, I don't suppose you really care.