You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Dr_Venture

Developer Q&A?

26 comments in this topic

[SALVO]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
6,103 posts
6,075 battles

When will there be another Q&A session with the devs? 

• Haha 2

[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
13,179 posts
27 minutes ago, Navalpride33 said:

According to Sub_oct...No more Q and A anymore... Q and As have evolved to the development blog...

Dis is because Q&A sessions are harder than herding cats with about a three percent chance of any statements made remaining unchanged. 

[LRM]
[LRM]
Members
2,974 posts
8,511 battles
12 minutes ago, Herr_Reitz said:

Dis is because Q&A sessions are harder than herding cats with about a three percent chance of any statements made remaining unchanged. 

That's because WG started this culture of expecting every word to be true with the whole "THERE WILL BE NO SUBS EVER" video where Chieftan went off about how they won't work (and now we have subs in development). They made such firm statements and such bold declarations years ago and then started going back on stuff when XYZ was no longer possible or when ABC had code limitations overcome and made HIJ possible. WG now wants total development freedom at the expense of even considering releasing a roadmap that has actual meat to it. A small statement of things like "hey, we want to add 3 new lines this year" and "we want to optimize the game" are such weak deflecting statements you would actually tell me more information if you said "I eat food" and "I breathe air".

They also don't know how to come out and say "hey, you know that thing we tried to do that we told you about in a DEV Q and A? Well, we tried it and it didn't work because XYZ, we are sorry to disappoint you all". Companies do that all the time because it builds good faith with there customer base because as long as you provide a valid reason for something not being made available and give a few harmless details people will be, despite obvious disappointment and maybe a bit of grumbling, be reasonable about it. And if some customers tell you to go kill yourself and that you are horrible, ignore them. Clearly, they are being rude and don't have any respect for anyone. I work as a cook in a restaurant, and I hear the servers get mad at people badmouthing them all the time. One server doesn't care about what people say and the others wonder how they get along with it. They say "It's simple, ignorant people are ignorant, and if they think I am personally responsible for them not liking the dish they ordered when it was made exactly how they asked for it, oh well, I know I am not and why should I let that affect my day?". For some people though, it's a hard lesson to learn how to filter complaints of the ignorant from constructive criticism of the respectful.

• Boring 2

[WOLF5]
Supertester
4,572 posts
4,223 battles
56 minutes ago, Dr_Venture said:

Let me rephrase that for you: When will the devs attempt to have a conversation on a wide range of highly controversial topics such as CVs, subs, powercreep, lootboxes, and a certain new line of large BBs with a playerbase that seems to believe WG is just a subsidary of Evil Empire Inc?

Yeah, I can't imagine why they don't want to do that. Especially since a certain segment of the playerbase has shown that they have no idea of basic civility.

I'm not saying I wouldn't like to see them come back, it's just that I highly doubt that's going to happen after the last couple of PR snafus that have occured. Yes, WG has made a few questionable decisions, but to be fair most of the playerbase has shown they wouldn't know what a civil discussion was if they got run over by one.

• Cool 1
  • Thanks 2

[WOLF9]
Wiki Lead
15,138 posts
4,766 battles
13 minutes ago, Maine_ARC_1 said:

They also don't know how to come out and say "hey, you know that thing we tried to do that we told you about in a DEV Q and A? Well, we tried it and it didn't work because XYZ, we are sorry to disappoint you all".

Actually, they have done that - a number of times.  But the rate of correlation with the original statement in the memories of the players is vanishingly small.

[LRM]
[LRM]
Members
2,974 posts
8,511 battles
15 minutes ago, iDuckman said:

Actually, they have done that - a number of times.  But the rate of correlation with the original statement in the memories of the players is vanishingly small.

Memory is also small because they decide to post things all over the internet, and then it's a matter of tracking everything down in order to see what was talked about. 

[WOLF9]
Wiki Lead
15,138 posts
4,766 battles

That's true too.  I'm sure I miss a lot because I don't spend my time on reddit.

[PVE]
Members
7,265 posts
23,114 battles
1 hour ago, Maine_ARC_1 said:

That's because WG started this culture of expecting every word to be true with the whole "THERE WILL BE NO SUBS EVER" video where Chieftan went off about how they won't work (and now we have subs in development). They made such firm statements and such bold declarations years ago and then started going back on stuff when...ABC had code limitations overcome and made HIJ possible.

They also don't know how to come out and say "hey, you know that thing we tried to do that we told you about in a DEV Q and A? Well, we tried it and it didn't work because XYZ, we are sorry to disappoint you all". Companies do that all the time because it builds good faith with there customer base because as long as you provide a valid reason for something not being made available and give a few harmless details people will be, despite obvious disappointment and maybe a bit of grumbling, be reasonable about it.

In the case of subs...they always wanted them...despite many assuming they didn't just because of Chieftain's video (while obviously ignoring the 2nd line in Chieftain's video which was, "We Looked"...why would they even look if they had no interest in them?).

People assume when things go their way that WG is on their side & if WG changes those things later that WG "betrayed them/sold out/money grab"/etc...

Point is too many players aren't reasonable & rather than listening to their toxic chatter WG decided to not have to directly deal w/all that in a Q & A & just release dev blogs... here's what's up...our mods will fill us in on the details of your multi colored responses in all the threads you start about them.

Edited by IfYouSeeKhaos

[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
13,179 posts
1 hour ago, iDuckman said:

That's true too.  I'm sure I miss a lot because I don't spend my time on reddit.

You wouldn't believe... why, it's the best place to have a public meltdown for any company's employees. 

• Funny 1

[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
13,179 posts
33 minutes ago, IfYouSeeKhaos said:

In the case of subs...they always wanted them...despite many assuming they didn't just because of Chieftain's video (while obviously ignoring the 2nd line in Chieftain's video which was, "We Looked"...why would they even look if they had no interest in them?).

People assume when things go their way that WG is on their side & if WG changes those things later that WG "betrayed them/sold out/money grab"/etc...

Point is too many players aren't reasonable & rather than listening to their toxic chatter WG decided to not have to directly deal w/all that in a Q & A & just release dev blogs... here's what's up...our mods will fill us in on the details of your multi colored responses in all the threads you start about them.

I've always felt WG/WoWS public relations have been, more or less, like a bowl of spaghetti tossed at a wall. What sticks gets used. There is, from a consumer point of view, no control over corporate statements. 

Now this may reflect internal lack of controls, can't say without interviewing them. But if a company wants to win over customers and maintain control over them and their software products, they must have a single, solitary voice of authority, the "Voice from on High" if you like. Doing this successfully requires a pretty open channel of communication up and down the chain of command. It takes a great deal of organization. 

IMO there are simply too many people "speaking" for WoWS because they aren't all speaking the same messages. Think about the commander skills.

The only way for sure we feel we have received a bit of clarification about them is due to LWM. I did not come upon such an explanation from official corporate people (re: devs). 

But it goes a bit deeper here... in that example, what do they get by making the announcement via the dev blog? If they wanted input, feedback, it would have been better to make it exactly that - a channel for feedback that was not part of the forum but more like a proper feedback channel. They could have gone to greater detail as part of the announcement. One voice would have explained it. Not people all over the place who really aren't in a position to absolutely know what is planned, where it stands now and when they plan to do it. 

It just causes confusion, indecision and probably, lack of faith in the company when miscommunications occur on their behalf. The company appears to not have "it's stuff together". The more times this happens, the less faith people have in the organization. No matter how strong financially a company may be, if people perceive the company behaves erratically, then - like it or not - perception rules - and people start thinking the company is having problems, possibly huge problems. 

They have never - since I've been here - ever had a true centralized point of engagement with the players, the people who pay the bills. "Oh it's a translation issue". Then get some people who can translate things properly, who know the lingo being translated from AND into - or at the least, run it by some of native speakers of the language to see if it reads properly. 

Pay them tokens, or premium time/days, what ever, but also put them under an NDA. Control your info. When you determine a leak has occurred, you can then track it down and dismiss the person. If it's serious you can prosecute them. 

I'm barking up the wrong tree I'm sure... but if they just focused on this, controlling their news output, instead of letting multiple people/entities act as if they speak for the company, things would go a lot better for them. Egos get in the way of course, so you have to pay close attention to those involved, but it can be done quite easily compared to cleaning up the damage afterwards. 

Well, that's my dollar's worth, in today's currency, maybe 47 cents. 

[PVE]
Members
7,265 posts
23,114 battles
2 hours ago, Herr_Reitz said:

I've always felt WG/WoWS public relations have been, more or less, like a bowl of spaghetti tossed at a wall. What sticks gets used. There is, from a consumer point of view, no control over corporate statements. 

Now this may reflect internal lack of controls, can't say without interviewing them. But if a company wants to win over customers and maintain control over them and their software products, they must have a single, solitary voice of authority, the "Voice from on High" if you like. Doing this successfully requires a pretty open channel of communication up and down the chain of command. It takes a great deal of organization. 

IMO there are simply too many people "speaking" for WoWS because they aren't all speaking the same messages. Think about the commander skills.

The only way for sure we feel we have received a bit of clarification about them is due to LWM. I did not come upon such an explanation from official corporate people (re: devs). 

But it goes a bit deeper here... in that example, what do they get by making the announcement via the dev blog? If they wanted input, feedback, it would have been better to make it exactly that - a channel for feedback that was not part of the forum but more like a proper feedback channel. They could have gone to greater detail as part of the announcement. One voice would have explained it. Not people all over the place who really aren't in a position to absolutely know what is planned, where it stands now and when they plan to do it. 

It just causes confusion, indecision and probably, lack of faith in the company when miscommunications occur on their behalf. The company appears to not have "it's stuff together". The more times this happens, the less faith people have in the organization. No matter how strong financially a company may be, if people perceive the company behaves erratically, then - like it or not - perception rules - and people start thinking the company is having problems, possibly huge problems. 

They have never - since I've been here - ever had a true centralized point of engagement with the players, the people who pay the bills. "Oh it's a translation issue". Then get some people who can translate things properly, who know the lingo being translated from AND into - or at the least, run it by some of native speakers of the language to see if it reads properly. 

Pay them tokens, or premium time/days, what ever, but also put them under an NDA. Control your info. When you determine a leak has occurred, you can then track it down and dismiss the person. If it's serious you can prosecute them. 

I'm barking up the wrong tree I'm sure... but if they just focused on this, controlling their news output, instead of letting multiple people/entities act as if they speak for the company, things would go a lot better for them. Egos get in the way of course, so you have to pay close attention to those involved, but it can be done quite easily compared to cleaning up the damage afterwards. 

Well, that's my dollar's worth, in today's currency, maybe 47 cents. 

The problem is that WG will put out an article/update notes/dev blog/etc & people assume that anybody that has an opinion on it (especially if it aligns w/their opinion on it) is "in the know" & will perpetuate it ad nauseum in every outlet they can (forum/reddit/etc) & enough people see it enough times (especially when it is worded as fact) & they believe it is fact (especially if the source...or the source quoted is "reliable" to them) & then everybody rants & hollers when something is released & it's nothing more that what the article said in the 1st place.

Not saying that the articles are not misleading at times (in fact more often than not there is an "all your base are belong to us" type of phrase that can be interpreted at least a couple if not many various ways) but most of the salt comes from everybody assuming it means 1 thing (it can only mean that when translated into English after all) because somebody (or many somebodies) mass interpreted it that way & then they blame WG not only for being unclear (which they most definitely were) but also blame them for directly spreading the wrong information around afterwards (which they didn't).

Their PR department absolutely has people completely capable of translating Russian into English (Sub OC himself...even though he's not in the PR department...speaks passably good enough English to properly translate to where none of these "misinterpretations" would ever occur...sure he's not the only Russian in the country capable of it) in a perfectly understandable manner.

What the NA community fails to understand is the Russian (& every other server's) versions of those articles are just as misleading as the English ones...intentionally (maybe a disclaimer for the European 1 as they have passed specific laws about stuff like that...at least in regards to loot crates...not sure if it applies to mechanic changes but guessing not as there's no direct money that needs to be spent for a mechanic change...just a clarifier about crates related to it if any are for sale).

Quite often those misleads are for the worst but eventually they throw one in there that is for the better...just to throw you off balance & forgive them for (at least some of) the other ones.

There's a very specific PR strategy (implementation of which varies depending on the product) that when used properly balances out to an actual workable strategy in the long run...& there's also a very little known fact about PR that most people are not aware of...even bad PR is good PR...because it gets your name out there. It's just a balancing act of k owing how far you can swing the pendulum before you need to swing it back the other way.

I fortunately in today's economy...your 2¢ worth now costs a dollar to give.

Edited by IfYouSeeKhaos

[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
13,179 posts
2 minutes ago, IfYouSeeKhaos said:

because it gets your name out there. It's just a balancing act of k owing how far you can swing the pendulum before you need to swing it back the other way.

You first have to understand the pendulum before you start swinging it. The type of PR you are speaking about is some of the worst PR you can generate. It's kind of like a crap used car dealer advertising plan. You make big bucks by making happy customers, not by ripping them off with junk cars at inflated prices. "Well, at least they know who XyZ's Used Autos is!" 

I don't believe Apple got all it's fanbois fangrrls by issuing the type of PR you are talking about either. Mercedes Benz? Ferrari? The list could grow much longer. The good, really good companies know the exact game plan, are even part of the design process of nearly every aspect of those brands. They work alongside, figuring out the best means to market, to sell the designs. Everybody agrees on a plan, it gets locked down and everyone moves forward, together, knowing exactly what they are going to promote AND deliver. 

There's really no reason NOT to your software company as a world-class leading software developer with a triple A marketing team from day one. Set the standard at the very start and never drop below it. 

If you are into the game for the coins, why not go for the absolute biggest amount of coins you can get? Shoot.. build world-class software, milk it till it's just short of it's peak, then sell it off to someone else... and move on to the next best thing. 

Sid Meier's Memoir was just released recently. I've seen a number of quotes from it... I'm on the hold list at the local library. But one section which was very meaningful mentioned about listening to customers. It's a book I think will be worth reading by any developer. Myself, I can't wait to get ahold of it. 

[PVE]
Members
7,265 posts
23,114 battles
13 minutes ago, Herr_Reitz said:

You first have to understand the pendulum before you start swinging it. The type of PR you are speaking about is some of the worst PR you can generate. It's kind of like a crap used car dealer advertising plan. You make big bucks by making happy customers, not by ripping them off with junk cars at inflated prices. "Well, at least they know who XyZ's Used Autos is!" 

I don't believe Apple got all it's fanbois fangrrls by issuing the type of PR you are talking about either. Mercedes Benz? Ferrari? The list could grow much longer. The good, really good companies know the exact game plan, are even part of the design process of nearly every aspect of those brands. They work alongside, figuring out the best means to market, to sell the designs. Everybody agrees on a plan, it gets locked down and everyone moves forward, together, knowing exactly what they are going to promote AND deliver. 

There's really no reason NOT to your software company as a world-class leading software developer with a triple A marketing team from day one. Set the standard at the very start and never drop below it. 

If you are into the game for the coins, why not go for the absolute biggest amount of coins you can get? Shoot.. build world-class software, milk it till it's just short of it's peak, then sell it off to someone else... and move on to the next best thing. 

Sid Meier's Memoir was just released recently. I've seen a number of quotes from it... I'm on the hold list at the local library. But one section which was very meaningful mentioned about listening to customers. It's a book I think will be worth reading by any developer. Myself, I can't wait to get ahold of it. 

Sid wasn't selling F2P games...different product...different PR strategies.

But guess who now owns the rights to Orion (at least the new versions)?

Members
1,326 posts
7,773 battles
1 hour ago, IfYouSeeKhaos said:

Sid wasn't selling F2P games...different product...different PR strategies.

But guess who now owns the rights to Orion (at least the new versions)?

Nope all of them.

[PIG]
[PIG]
Members
1,310 posts
6,371 battles
7 hours ago, Dr_Venture said:

Oink! Dude Doctor,... These are difficult times, purging the old school player base amidst viruses is not easy. Not that many old schooled players uninstal but some did. Much less anti CVs, anti SSs, etc in the forums for example. Oink? Goltz! Naturally. Porcinelly yours.

[PVE]
Members
7,265 posts
23,114 battles
7 minutes ago, khorender_1 said:

Nope all of them.

Ah...thanx for clarifying...was aware of the newest... didn't know 1 way or the other about the rest.

Members
1,326 posts
7,773 battles
1 minute ago, IfYouSeeKhaos said:

Ah...thanx for clarifying...was aware of the newest... didn't know 1 way or the other about the rest.

Yep got the old ones with the new in some kind of package deal with their Hybrid War { I think } which closed it's servers recently.

[PVE]
Members
7,265 posts
23,114 battles
13 hours ago, khorender_1 said:

Yep got the old ones with the new in some kind of package deal with their Hybrid War { I think } which closed it's servers recently.

Ah...cool.

Loved the original dos version of the 1st 1...bought my 1st computer just to be able to play the 2nd 1 when it came out (was on my brother's hand me down before that).

Of the 3 in the original dos series of Civilization-Orion-UFO Command (there was more to that title I think but can't remember the rest of it)...which all came out before Civilization 2...UFO Command was my favorite though.

The theme was Civilization (start w/a settler & evolve to building a space ship) to Orion (start w/a home planet & 2 scouts & a colony ship...take over all the stars in space...while taking out planet Orion along the way for technology jumps that were basically unneeded by the time you get the tech to do it) to UFO Command (where you started out on Earth & thwarted alien ship invasions by shooting them down & landing at the crash sights to kill off the aliens that survived the crash).

Great series concepts...the rundowns on the different alien races in Orion 2 was a well written book in & of itself...the game was just a bonus after that read...lol.

Edited by IfYouSeeKhaos

[WOLF9]
Wiki Lead
15,138 posts
4,766 battles
13 hours ago, Herr_Reitz said:

Sid Meier's Memoir was just released recently.

Is that the guy who did the '70's boob movies?

Members
1,326 posts
7,773 battles
11 hours ago, IfYouSeeKhaos said:

Ah...cool.

Loved the original dos version of the 1st 1...bought my 1st computer just to be able to play the 2nd 1 when it came out (was on my brother's hand me down before that).

Of the 3 in the original dos series of Civilization-Orion-UFO Command (there was more to that title I think but can't remember the rest of it)...which all came out before Civilization 2...UFO Command was my favorite though.

The theme was Civilization (start w/a settler & evolve to building a space ship) to Orion (start w/a home planet & 2 scouts & a colony ship...take over all the stars in space...while taking out planet Orion along the way for technology jumps that were basically unneeded by the time you get the tech to do it) to UFO Command (where you started out on Earth & thwarted alien ship invasions by shooting them down & landing at the crash sights to kill off the aliens that survived the crash).

Great series concepts...the rundowns on the different alien races in Orion was a well written book in & of itself...the game was just a bonus after that read...lol.

Never got into Orion much one of the few series from Microprose I just couldn't get into, guess XCOM took up too much of my time to give it a shot.

[PVE]
Members
7,265 posts
23,114 battles
1 hour ago, iDuckman said:

Is that the guy who did the '70's boob movies?

LOL...the guy behind the Civilization/Orion/XCOM games (there may be others but those are the only ones I know of).

Edit: Originally anyway...WG owns Orion now...not sure about the others.

Edited by IfYouSeeKhaos

[WOLF9]
Wiki Lead
15,138 posts
4,766 battles
1 hour ago, IfYouSeeKhaos said:

LOL...the guy behind the Civilization/Orion/XCOM games

Ah so!  I was thinking of Russ MeyersFaster Pussycat Kill! Kill!, Vixen, Beyond the Valley of the Dolls, Beneath the Valley of the Ultra-Vixens

Also, peripherally, an all-time favorite Playmate. Cynthia Meyers (no relation), who starred in his Beyond the Valley of the Dolls.  R.I.P.

Such memories tend to outshine game designer credits.  :cap_old:

• Cool 1

[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
13,179 posts
5 minutes ago, iDuckman said:

Ah so!  I was thinking of Russ MeyersFaster Pussycat Kill! Kill!, Vixen, Beyond the Valley of the Dolls, Beneath the Valley of the Ultra-Vixens

Also, peripherally, an all-time favorite Playmate. Cynthia Meyers (no relation), who starred in his Beyond the Valley of the Dolls.  R.I.P.

Such memories tend to outshine game designer credits.  :cap_old:

Guess that depends whereupon your focus lies, eh? Well today is that free game I mentioned ($29.99 retail value). It had DLC's you can buy if you want, like $7.99 each... but I won't be buying anything until I work through the original stuff. Then later, if it's enjoyable, maybe.