You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Yesman1337

Best Secondary Build Ships?

52 comments in this topic

[EQV]
Members
126 posts
1,359 battles

As of late I decided I want to try and go for a secondary focused build on a ship line so I figured the best ships for it would be a BB so I started comparing the lines (Mostly the tier 10 since that what I am working towards) and I am kinda confused. I have heard that the Germans supposedly have the best secondary's in the game but why. Obviously the Russian and British BB's are out of the question and Montana doesn't look the greatest. However when comparing them to the other tier 10 BB's I can't see how. The French have only slightly less at 25 vs the German's 28 total but have greater range 8km vs the German's 7.7km and but effective amount of secondary's that'll be in use when firing (With manual secondary's because with it they will only fire at the designated ship and if the guns can not turn to fire at it they will not fire at all not even if another ship is within their range which I find ridiculous) for the French is 17 due to the triple mounted guns being able to fire on either side whilst the German's is 14 due to their turrets being bound only to a single broadside unable to fire anywhere else. On top of all this the Yamato has a whopping 30 secondaries beating out both of them. It's effective number of secondaries is 18 though they do have a shorter range at only 7km. So I am really wondering what is the best ship for a secondary build the German's do not seem to be the best by any metric they have the least in total, the least effective, and not the longest range. Are they really the best or are the French/Japanese better.

Members
1,108 posts
4,792 battles

German Secondaries are hands down the best all round in the game, due to a combination of long range and high potential DPM

However, if you want accuracy, get the USN Premiums

-Shrayes

• Cool 3

[WORX]
Members
11,964 posts
19,495 battles

At tier 10, taking a quick glance at the list... No tier X ship is a good secondary build...

Now Tier 9, go french.

Tier 8 American or German.

Whatever you choose, have fun.

Edited by Navalpride33
  • Confused 2

[WORX]
Members
11,964 posts
19,495 battles
Just now, Shrayes_Bhagavatula said:

Laughs in Kurfurst

-Shrayes

Its not the best overall, but its the only tier 10 BB that can use the secondary build.

• Cool 1
  • Meh 2

Members
1,108 posts
4,792 battles
3 minutes ago, TheGreatBlasto said:

Bismarck, Tirpitz, Massachusetts,  Georgia, Alsace are all good brawlers.  Rumor has it that the Pomeranian and kurfurst are good too.

Pommern and Kurfurst are the best brawlers in the game. Tirpitz and Odin are not that far behind

-Shrayes

[B-Z]
Members
162 posts
15,507 battles

German BBs are best IMO, because their 128mm secondary guns get the 1/4 penetration rule, so they pen 32mm of armour without needing the IFHE skill.
This means they can damage the bow and stern of T8-10 BBs and pretty much every cruiser. The French and USN boats cannot.

The French secondaries look good on paper, but don't do much damage. They are a nice sideline for starting fires, but not worth putting skill points into. They also have 32mm armour all over, so loose a lot of HP on the way in and can't sustain in a brawl very long.

The USN premium brawlers have great rate of fire and accuracy, but again struggle to pen heavy armour.

You also need a "brawling hull", to go with the actual secondary guns. Good qualities to look for are:

1. Survivability. Good HP pool, 50mm armour plating, turtleback to avoid getting deleted in a driveby. Fast reloading heal also helps.
  2. Torpedos. Settle the argument quickly. Also hydro acoustic search to help you avoid torpedos.
  3. Some agility and flexibility : Rudder shift, turret traverse, speed (and speed boost?). This helps position to your advantage, and puts you in control to accept or avoid a driveby / ram.
Edited by MeglaGnome
  • Cool 2

[META_]
Members
1,660 posts
17,317 battles

Its not tier 10 but I think the Massachusetts is the best for a few reasons....1st she's comparable to the Bismarck/tirpitz if not better in that department but what makes her better is with you putting those captain skill points in aft you have increased her monster aa also then on top of that is the 40 second heals she gets as a gimmick also....i think she is an incredibly strong tier 8 if not 9 BB with all her tricks,good luck

• Cool 1

[FOXEH]
Members
1,945 posts
12,784 battles
42 minutes ago, Yesman1337 said:

As of late I decided I want to try and go for a secondary focused build on a ship line so I figured the best ships for it would be a BB so I started comparing the lines (Mostly the tier 10 since that what I am working towards) and I am kinda confused. I have heard that the Germans supposedly have the best secondary's in the game but why. Obviously the Russian and British BB's are out of the question and Montana doesn't look the greatest. However when comparing them to the other tier 10 BB's I can't see how. The French have only slightly less at 25 vs the German's 28 total but have greater range 8km vs the German's 7.7km and but effective amount of secondary's that'll be in use when firing (With manual secondary's because with it they will only fire at the designated ship and if the guns can not turn to fire at it they will not fire at all not even if another ship is within their range which I find ridiculous) for the French is 17 due to the triple mounted guns being able to fire on either side whilst the German's is 14 due to their turrets being bound only to a single broadside unable to fire anywhere else. On top of all this the Yamato has a whopping 30 secondaries beating out both of them. It's effective number of secondaries is 18 though they do have a shorter range at only 7km. So I am really wondering what is the best ship for a secondary build the German's do not seem to be the best by any metric they have the least in total, the least effective, and not the longest range. Are they really the best or are the French/Japanese better.

Mass. is the best secondary ship. Georgia for the US.   Tirpitz, Bismarck, Odin, Pommern, Grosse Kurfurst are the best German ships.  I think the T9 and T10 French have long range but not the DPM of the best.  

This is all right now, what happens after the skill change is still up in the air.  

Edited by comtedumas

[BB35]
[BB35]
Members
501 posts
14,330 battles

Best secondary ship in the game is the T8 Graf Zeppelin. It has fast firing guns, the best accuracy guns in the the game.

You asked, I wouldn't recommend you do randoms in it going broadside with boats. More than a few DD's have gotten really messed up with its secondaries however.

• Cool 2

Members
709 posts
72 battles
55 minutes ago, Yesman1337 said:

Im not saying its the best secondary ship but Georgia is the most fun and strong ship in the game imho and with secondary build it just hilarious funny to troll with. I usually get atleast 1 close quarters medal per game with it.

Members
1,014 posts
1,399 battles
1 hour ago, Yesman1337 said:

Germans would probably be the best with their combination of AP & HE secondaries, and it's not just the battleships, some German aircraft carriers can do very well with secondary build. That said, I have CQC build on the USS South Carolina, which regularly churns out results like this: 514120037_2020-08-18(1)_LI.thumb.jpg.c4bfe662ec4d6dacf1409fe5eaf72e7a.jpg

The South Carolina has no less than 11 secondaries per side, each with a 3.5 second base reload. Put India Delta, Mike Yankee Soxisix & Adrenaline Rush on, and you can get very high damage numbers while keeping your HP in the green. Similar results can be obtained with USS St. Louis. 

[RLGN]
Members
15,170 posts
26,814 battles
1 hour ago, black_hull4 said:

Germans would probably be the best with their combination of AP & HE secondaries, and it's not just the battleships, some German aircraft carriers can do very well with secondary build.

I actually learned more about secondary builds using ‘Just a passing by Ocean Liner,’ (Normandie,) than I ever did with the Germans. The thing is a blast.

Using Germans and their secondary builds came after the fact.

1 hour ago, black_hull4 said:

That said, I have CQC build on the USS South Carolina, which regularly churns out results like this: 514120037_2020-08-18(1)_LI.thumb.jpg.c4bfe662ec4d6dacf1409fe5eaf72e7a.jpg

The South Carolina has no less than 11 secondaries per side, each with a 3.5 second base reload. Put India Delta, Mike Yankee Soxisix & Adrenaline Rush on, and you can get very high damage numbers while keeping your HP in the green. Similar results can be obtained with USS St. Louis. 

Both, as well as Mikasa, are laugh riots, especially in Co-op.

Get in and eliminate the torpies, then brawl to your hearts content.

One of my first games in SC after doing as you said yielded similar results.

[ANZ4C]
Members
212 posts
7,418 battles
2 hours ago, Navalpride33 said:

Its not the best overall, but its the only tier 10 BB that can use the secondary build.

Um...... Republique, Bourgogne and Ohio would like a word.

• Cool 1

[SOUS]
Members
61 posts
2 hours ago, Navalpride33 said:

I've just got my dirty mitts on Ohio.

Watch Potato Quality videos on how he plays it with full secondary. 

Ohios secondaries have the US accuracy, are 11.3km and can have fire chance upto 12%

[SSLP]
Beta Testers
179 posts
9,936 battles

Anyone find the German secondaries rather inaccurate though (this is with all skills and equipment). Lately I've almost thought they were bugged given how bad their accuracy was. 

[RKLES]
[RKLES]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
6,365 posts
22,158 battles

There is more to a secondary build ship than it's guns...

Look at survival...

Germans have a great turtleback giving resistance to being taken out in one salvo at close range. 

Penetration:

Germans have 1/4 pen baked in, no need to take IFHE , nor sacrifice fires.

German brawling BB :

P. E. Friedrich, guns.

Scharnhurst, torps.

odin, torps & hydro

Tirpitz,  torps.

Pommern,  hydro & torps

Gneisenau, torps.

Bismark,  hydro.

F.Der Grosse, hydro.

G. Kurfurst, hydro.

French usually have higher caliber secondaries than Germans.

French ships have a turtleback, but they are soft sided under 10 km.

if you brawl, u have to keep angled, plus main guns can be knocked out easily.

I usually keep at range until late game. Then your able to bully ships with those secondaries. 

Brawling French ships

Gascoigne.

Jean Bart.

Bourgogne. 

Richelieu.

Alsace.

Republique. 

Japanese are really not known for Brawling.

SHIKASHIMA,  FOR MEMES.

AMAGI decent turtleback. 

Yamamoto,  FOR MEMES.

ITALIAN 

GUILIO CEASARE

ROMA

USA

Massachusetts 

Georgia 

Ohio

[UN1]
Members
1,293 posts
4,041 battles
3 hours ago, Yesman1337 said:

American Premiums are the most overall "balanced" between armor, firepower, and secondary performance. They're super fun and easy to play. They have improved accuracy and the best firing angles.

German battleships have superior secondary penetration and a more forgiving armor profile, but have inferior main battery performance and, at least until T9, rotten awful firing angles. Hard to play.

French brawlers used to have a nice mix of everything, and were super fun cause there was just so much going on, but their secondary performance was GUTTED with the IFHE rework. I wouldn't even bother now. 

[WPORT]
Members
7,159 posts
12,178 battles

The firing-arcs of the secondary battery guns also are a factor.
Hard to score hits if the guns cannot rotate enough to aim at a target.  Some ships have wider firing-arcs than others.

At Tier-5, Bregagne is fun with a 6.5 km secondary build.

At Tier-8, Bismarck, Massachusetts and Tirpitz are well known.  Other ships are viable contenders, though.

Personally, I like when the secondary battery range is maxed-out via Captain's Skills and ship modules.  
Manual Fire Control for Secondaries is optional, but has its' charm on ships whose secondary batteries can open fire on targets 9 km away or more.