You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
SeaRaptor

First Look: Tier X Premium Japanese Cruiser Kitakami

28 comments in this topic

[-K-]
WoWS Community Contributors, WoWS Community Contributors
2,685 posts
13,071 battles

One of the most infamous ships in the history of the game returns in a few form and tier.

• Cool 1
  • Boring 1

[ARGSY]
Members
22,348 posts
16,251 battles
6 minutes ago, SeaRaptor said:

in a few form and tier.

Typo alert. I think you mean NEW form.

[NUWES]
Members
3,292 posts
11,864 battles

I'm very interested in seeing how this ship will do. I don't think it is going to be nearly as useful as people think it will but it will be interesting to see what the CCs think after player it. It's basically a big slow DD with a citadel. Gunboat DDs on this tier will eat it alive. I can only imagine being in a Kitakami and stumbling into a Kleber which is 20 knots faster, has nearly as much HP,  and can completely outgun you. BB AP may overpen it but cruiser AP will not and I know it can be citadeled by BB and cruiser HE. 

CVs will just salivate  when they see it. I'm curious whether AP bombs can arm but HE will rip it apart. I may misremember, but from playing operations a lot I recall that Kuma can be citadelled by HE bombs from Ranger so heaven help Kitikami if Midway bombers find it. Level bombers do a lot of damage to Kumas as well. 

It really only has one trick, but I am interested in seeing how well it can do that trick. 

• Cool 2

Members
596 posts
10,945 battles

Fully agree with you.

Sure, many people are freaking out for the 40 torpedo soups but every single aspect of the ship is beyong bad even by Tier 8 standards. 

The guns are bad to the point that even a Shimakaze will gun you down

The AA is Tier IV levels of AA (although this is far)

Less HP than SE Harugumo

Armor that gets overmatched by Henri and bigger guns so only really works Vs close and medium range BB shells

Awesome stealth for a CL but absotely garbage for a DD which she might as well be

Torpedos that are litarally nerfed Yuudachi torps as these reload WAY slower 

Now, if she was right now a Tier 8 then MAYBE she would be decent but at Tier 10? She's literally the ship we had back in the day at Tier 8 just with worse torpedos and better smokes as all Tier 9 and 10 Cruisers get a heal. Not only that but in those 3 years the powercreep bad been insane and cruisers are no exception.

WG seriously fcked up here. If they give her the Type 93 torpedos with a good reload (roughly 100 seconds base) and maybe a superheal she may be actually decent. The issues with that is at that point you are better taking off a Halland or Benham. It's a one trick pony and her single trick is absolutely garbage right now. However if they buff her too much we may have a Benham 2.0

[KWF]
Members
5,236 posts
6,659 battles

By the end of the video you mention how Kitakami is not a threatening ship. I have to disagree; she's quite a threat for the team it's in.

4 minutes ago, XurMP said:

Now, if she was right now a Tier 8 then MAYBE she would be decent but at Tier 10? She's literally the ship we had back in the day at Tier 8 just with worse torpedos and better smokes as all Tier 9 and 10 Cruisers get a heal. Not only that but in those 3 years the powercreep bad been insane and cruisers are no exception.

WG seriously fcked up here. If they give her the Type 93 torpedos with a good reload (roughly 100 seconds base) and maybe a superheal she may be actually decent. The issues with that is at that point you are better taking off a Halland or Benham. It's a one trick pony and her single trick is absolutely garbage right now. However if they buff her too much we may have a Benham 2.0

This ship should have been left alone in sweet oblivion when it comes to putting her back into Randoms. If someone told me she would be an April Fool's ship or  event specific I would be all in on it. But as is it's just WG trying to shore up hype for a ship that has gotten a somewhat mythical status. Same deal with Belfast '43.

Edited by warheart1992
  • Cool 1
  • Boring 1

[BUOY]
Members
1,129 posts
15,570 battles

Everything I've seen has Kitakami as being a fundamentally unbalance'able ship. She's either the most stupidly broken ship outside of .8.0 Hakuryu or she's a T4 at T10 and neither state is fun for anyone.

Honestly, what WG should do is instead forget about balance, make her ultra fun with options like original 20km Shima torps or heck Halland torps or such, sell her for coal (either reduced to say 100k if they want to sell more or full price if they want to gatekeep) with the huge sticker (and maybe a double 'Are you really, REALLY sure?' confirmation) that the ship is only usable in co-ops and the training room.

That way players can have ULTIMATE TORPEDO POWER! while also not distorting randoms with a binary OP/T4 at T10  ship.

[NUWES]
Members
3,292 posts
11,864 battles
27 minutes ago, XurMP said:

Fully agree with you.

Sure, many people are freaking out for the 40 torpedo soups but every single aspect of the ship is beyong bad even by Tier 8 standards. 

Less HP than SE Harugumo

Armor that gets overmatched by Henri and bigger guns so only really works Vs close and medium range BB shells

Awesome stealth for a CL but absotely garbage for a DD which she might as well be

I don't think they screwed up at all. I think they know what they are doing and are giving people what they keep asking for. It is a case of "Careful what you wish for." The problem is I think people have an inflated recollection of what it can do. People remember the flood of torps but they forget it comes off of a CL hull that was built in 1917 and is barely bigger than a DD. Old Kitakami predated radar, predated fast gunboat DDs, and predated the numbers of CVs which are around since the rework. Wargaming is giving the community what it has been asking for but it won't be be nearly as effective as the community thinks it will be. 

I will probably get one depending on what is required, but I don't believe for a moment that this will be a useful ship. It's the kind of thing that is fun to take out and now and then scores big but will probably end up getting hunted and sunk early most of the time. It can't even stay behind allies like Smolensk can because you'll end up torping your allies. It has to be in front but at the same time is missing a lot of tools that DDs have to stay alive there. IT's basically Minotaur with more torps but without Mino's gunpower, health, superheal, radar, or AA. 

Edited by Tzarevitch
  • Cool 1

[--V--]
Members
1,466 posts
13,786 battles

WG knows people want this ship.  "40 torps, hell yea!!"   So they offer her up for sale.  She'll be purchased by a LOT of people simple for the stupidity/hilarity factor.  This ship can NOT be taken seriously.  A t4 at T10 - ROFLMAO

Expectations:

1. At T10 she will be mauled by CVs before her torpedoes are ever loaded.  CV planes in enemy spawn at 45 second mark.  CVs may get 2 whole sorties on her before she's in a spot to fire torps.
  2. If CVs don't maul her in first 3 min of a match, other ships will when spotted by CVs.
  3. She may get 2 torp salvo's off in a game before blapped by someone.  With only 32 kt speed combined with 15km torps, even with great detection value she's gonna get spotted by DDs.

This will be like California.  A ship ruined by WG just to make some sales.

• Cool 2

[SHOOT]
[SHOOT]
Beta Testers
4,014 posts
12,505 battles
1 hour ago, SeaRaptor said:

One of the most infamous ships in the history of the game returns in a few form and tier.

Obviously you never seen or experienced: 

this isn't world of spaceships, its world of warships. We can't dodge volume forever. That's why Japanese torpedoes are over nerfed when they should have undetectable torps. Kitakami was removed because the old commander skill tree made CE impossible to reach in the beta time frame so players would launch their ocean of torps from behind friendly ships.  Not because she was a menace to play against. 

You say a Kleber can out fun Kitikami: true. But Kleber can't dodge a wall of 20 torpedoes: twice...

[5D4]
[5D4]
Members
512 posts
15,408 battles
1 hour ago, Tzarevitch said:

I'm very interested in seeing how this ship will do. I don't think it is going to be nearly as useful as people think it will but it will be interesting to see what the CCs think after player it. It's basically a big slow DD with a citadel. Gunboat DDs on this tier will eat it alive. I can only imagine being in a Kitakami and stumbling into a Kleber which is 20 knots faster, has nearly as much HP,  and can completely outgun you. BB AP may overpen it but cruiser AP will not and I know it can be citadeled by BB and cruiser HE. 

CVs will just salivate  when they see it. I'm curious whether AP bombs can arm but HE will rip it apart. I may misremember, but from playing operations a lot I recall that Kuma can be citadelled by HE bombs from Ranger so heaven help Kitikami if Midway bombers find it. Level bombers do a lot of damage to Kumas as well. 

It really only has one trick, but I am interested in seeing how well it can do that trick. 

1 hour ago, XurMP said:

Fully agree with you.

Less HP than SE Harugumo

I agree they will break if focused. It is divs of three that have me worried. For once let's pray the CVs God watch over us. 

[NUWES]
Members
3,292 posts
11,864 battles
50 minutes ago, Crokodone said:

Obviously you never seen or experienced: 

this isn't world of spaceships, its world of warships. We can't dodge volume forever. That's why Japanese torpedoes are over nerfed when they should have undetectable torps. Kitakami was removed because the old commander skill tree made CE impossible to reach in the beta time frame so players would launch their ocean of torps from behind friendly ships.  Not because she was a menace to play against. 

You say a Kleber can out fun Kitikami: true. But Kleber can't dodge a wall of 20 torpedoes: twice...

It absolutely can. Any DD can unless they are caught broadside from a stop. They aren't particularly stealthy or fast torps. DDs have a good bit of reaction time and the spreads aren't unnaturally tight. Just looking at that video a DD can easily move though that spread. DDs like Kleber are almost as fast as the torps themselves are. They are a definite threat to bigger ships like BBs which don't maneuver or start/stop well, but DDs can handle that unless they are caught by surprise or are sitting in their own smokes. I suspect UK CLs can as well with their racecar acceleration. 

[46856]
Members
1,873 posts

Man people got what they wanted a T10 torpedo version of the Mikasa. It'll be a hoot to play.

[-TKS-]
Members
271 posts
9,087 battles

i plan on buying this ship for 2 reasons.

1. The torp meme in randoms and the "omfg i can't believe that ahole is playing a kitakami"
  2. The ez torp hits required for some challenges in co-op

Its a meme boat and will end up being like the smolensk. You'll see it alot for a few months then it will taper off. The difference being that the Kitakami won't be competitive enough to stick around long term and see a ton of regular game play. The same can be said for most new ships, lots of over play when first released, then shortly after the game evens out.

• Cool 1

[SALVO]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
6,103 posts
6,077 battles
26 minutes ago, Freelancerinc said:

i plan on buying this ship for 2 reasons.

1. The torp meme in randoms and the "omfg i can't believe that ahole is playing a kitakami"
  2. The ez torp hits required for some challenges in co-op

Its a meme boat and will end up being like the smolensk. You'll see it alot for a few months then it will taper off. The difference being that the Kitakami won't be competitive enough to stick around long term and see a ton of regular game play. The same can be said for most new ships, lots of over play when first released, then shortly after the game evens out.

I'm already seeing fewer and fewer Manfred's

[WOLFB]
Members
3,166 posts
7,553 battles

I have seen a few in battle and I have not been impressed. Everyone seems to know what the ship is and they stay the crap away. 

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
8,816 posts
15,410 battles

WG asset reusing a busted old T4 model, former T8 into a new T10 for probably steel/XP/coal etc. despite the likely negative impact on game play just sums up WOWS at the moment.

• Cool 1

Members
1,326 posts
7,773 battles
2 hours ago, Dr_Venture said:

4ed4st.jpg

Count Noctilus needs to be a Halloween Captain from GW and NOT for just the IJN line, like it was for the 40k Captains.

Members
1,797 posts
5,635 battles

I’ve already played against one in game. I was gob smacked when I saw the legend in game. Crazy to think they’re gonna bring it back just for the memes...

[HINON]
[HINON]
Members
8,427 posts
12,338 battles

ive said it a million times if ive said it once, the ship is going to be garbage except for the torps, its a Kuma hull, with Kuma armor, next to no AA, and guns that wont threaten anything other than the occasional DD that forgets their ship also has guns, all at T10

[WOLF5]
Supertester
4,576 posts
4,223 battles
8 hours ago, Cpt_Snafu_Idgaf said:

No waters will be safe when the triple kita div arrives. :cap_wander_2:

You know some clan is going to sync drop it, imagine 3 or 4 per side......

• Haha 1