You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
theLaalaa

The decision was made for me...

24 comments in this topic

Members
1,818 posts
27,073 battles

I was really contemplating spending 3000 of my precious, freely-gained doubloons on the small starter pack for the Anchorage. I was only getting a ship with standard perma-camo (don't care about looks, just performance) which is already 3k doubloons for a T8, plus another 10pt captain (already have a few), plus a slot (already have a lot), plus a boat with a couple of tricks at the cost of range. You might think everything past the camo is "cake" (as they say), but I already have two other American T8 cruisers with perma-camo, so Ankh wasn't really adding value or options to that nation's tier.

With my third match this morning I gained my fourth whatever-token, thus erasing the option for the starter pack and effectively raising the price from 3k to 3.5k. As with their previous offering, Odin, my mind's at ease now as I let Ankh dissipate into the ether.

Now on with garnering those sweet AnniCamos....

• Cool 1

[1984]
Members
4,450 posts
21,484 battles
6 minutes ago, theLaalaa said:

I was really contemplating spending 3000 of my precious, freely-gained doubloons on the small starter pack for the Anchorage. I was only getting a ship with standard perma-camo (don't care about looks, just performance) which is already 3k doubloons for a T8, plus another 10pt captain (already have a few), plus a slot (already have a lot), plus a boat with a couple of tricks at the cost of range. You might think everything past the camo is "cake" (as they say), but I already have two other American T8 cruisers with perma-camo, so Ankh wasn't really adding value or options to that nation's tier.

With my third match this morning I gained my fourth whatever-token, thus erasing the option for the starter pack and effectively raising the price from 3k to 3.5k. As with their previous offering, Odin, my mind's at ease now as I let Ankh dissipate into the ether.

Now on with garnering those sweet AnniCamos....

Oi didnt know they automatically raised the price! Folks in another post were like wait until you have 18 tokens to pull the trigger. Talk about bad knowledge! 

Members
1,818 posts
27,073 battles
1 minute ago, monpetitloup said:

Oi didnt know they automatically raised the price! Folks in another post were like wait until you have 18 tokens to pull the trigger. Talk about bad knowledge! 

The 3k starter pack would do the same thing as the two 1750 buy-ins at the end of the line, but as you can see, 1750 x 2 = 3500, hence the raised price for the same 'effect.'

[1984]
Members
4,450 posts
21,484 battles
Just now, theLaalaa said:

The 3k starter pack would do the same thing as the two 1750 buy-ins at the end of the line, but as you can see, 1750 x 2 = 3500, hence the raised price for the same 'effect.'

I know. My point is the 4 token automatic price increase was unkown to me. Did you actively redeem the rewards or was it automatically erased upon earning the 4th token?

[WPORT]
Members
7,088 posts
12,062 battles
4 minutes ago, monpetitloup said:

If one used doubloons to purchase a "starter pack", then they are committing to the grind to complete the Anchorage dockyard build.

If one is not 100% sure they'll accomplish enough dockyard phases and aren't sure they want the ship, then waiting until one completes Dockyard phase 18 seems reasonable (to me, at least).
That way you *know* that you can get the ship and are willing to spend 3,500 doubloons (plus all the *grind*) to access a Tier-9 cruiser.

It's your money & time.  Spend as you wish.

Members
1,818 posts
27,073 battles
9 minutes ago, monpetitloup said:

I know. My point is the 4 token automatic price increase was unkown to me. Did you actively redeem the rewards or was it automatically erased upon earning the 4th token?

It was there before the 3rd mission, and not there after it (I had sunk 3 ships with torpedoes, or some such accomplishment). It was automatically erased.

8 minutes ago, Wolfswetpaws said:

If one used doubloons to purchase a "starter pack", then they are committing to the grind to complete the Anchorage dockyard build.

If one is not 100% sure they'll accomplish enough dockyard phases and aren't sure they want the ship, then waiting until one completes Dockyard phase 18 seems reasonable (to me, at least).
That way you *know* that you can get the ship and are willing to spend 3,500 doubloons (plus all the *grind*) to access a Tier-9 cruiser.

I received all 18 Odin tokens, but it wasn't worth 3.5k doubloons. I expect to do the same with the Ankh ones.

Also, Ankh is a squishy Tier 8 cruiser. If a Tier 9 cruiser was in play, the story may well be different.

Members
3,637 posts
42,218 battles

If you look at the upper left corner of the dockyard you will see you have plenty of time. Just look at the missions as they open. Then select from ship carousel the ships required. If you have those ships to do those missions then work on them until complete. You can move forward with regular stuff after.

Repeat this every time a mission opens up.

You can finish more than on time if you know what and how to get the required objectives.

Trust me. Take your time.

If you log in each day and just play your regular hours with carousel set, you probably will finish with Time to spare.

[WPORT]
Members
7,088 posts
12,062 battles
2 minutes ago, theLaalaa said:

Also, Ankh is a squishy Tier 8 cruiser. If a Tier 9 cruiser was in play, the story may well be different.

Thanks for the correction.  I was under the impression it was Tier-9, but am glad you set me straight.

Members
1,818 posts
27,073 battles
2 minutes ago, Nevermore135 said:

500 doubloons works out to about $2 US.

Which is a powerful revelation of just how cheap I really am! ;)

• Funny 3
  • Haha 2

[TDR]
[TDR]
Members
1,033 posts
11,075 battles

It certainly is to each their own but for me personally...11k coal, port slot, captain, and t8 premium for $12 is worth it. Wifey won’t even know I took the money from the kids piggy bank :) 

[ARGSY]
Members
22,219 posts
16,179 battles

It kept on warning me and warning me that the time was nearly up. But @Wolfswetpaws is correct; once you buy that starter pack, you are committed to the grind - and if you can't finish enough directives, you must either pay up or have wasted your initial investment.

I don't mind paying the extra 500 dubs to have six-eight weeks for the early adopters to have wrung out the ship's flaws - and for CC's to be able to play her openly and talk freely about what's actually in their hands as a finished product. Then I can pull the trigger with confidence.

The ability to unlock the research bureau early if you earned extra dockyard tokens after paying out with dubs was an interesting tease, but it became irrelevant for me two days ago when I unlocked Daring and got in through the front door rather than the back.

7 minutes ago, ditka_Fatdog said:

Wifey won’t even know I took the money from the kids piggy bank :) 

Considering what you once said about the origin of your username, I would consider that justified revenge. :Smile_trollface:

• Funny 2
  • Thanks 1

[SBS]
Members
6,123 posts

I'm not sure I see the point of being fussed over this.  The starter packs at a discount are the reward for committing to the grind early.  If $2 is a deal breaker then you were never really interested in the first place.  And its fine not to be interested, after all $12-14 is not insignificant considering this will most likely be just another premium ship in our port that we don't play.   

• Cool 1

[TDR]
[TDR]
Members
1,033 posts
11,075 battles
35 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

Considering what you once said about the origin of your username, I would consider that justified revenge. :Smile_trollface:

Oh I hadn’t even considered this retribution! Right you are sir, I am owed for my pain and suffering! 

• Funny 1

[ARGSY]
Members
22,219 posts
16,179 battles
32 minutes ago, Slimeball91 said:

after all $12-14 is not insignificant considering this will most likely be just another premium ship in our port that we don't play.   

This is why I'm waiting until the end, so I can get a good grasp on whether I actually want her.

I have approached both the Odin dockyard and this one in the same spirit: "I will grind for the ship so that the lowest-cost option is open to me. I will find ways to bend the grind to my own agenda, and I will use the intervening time to decide whether to spend the doubloons."

[BUOY]
Members
1,123 posts
15,494 battles
2 hours ago, monpetitloup said:

IMO WG was pretty clear with both the dockyard announcement on their website and big orange warning boxes that you had to click away when you went into the dockyard in game that the starter packs were only available before you ground out 4x levels from the directives.

[CNO]
[CNO]
Members
6,165 posts
18,798 battles

This entire process hurts my head...and as I don't play WOWS for a headache...I avoid that which hurts my head.  I have this vague idea of something going in my dockyard and paying up front, or pay more later, and something about a grind...yada yada...but don't participate...other than whatever automatically falls out as I play my daily Random games here and there.  But for all ya'll having fun with it...I wish you all the fun it holds.

• Cool 2

[1984]
Members
4,450 posts
21,484 battles
1 hour ago, lloyd1701 said:

IMO WG was pretty clear with both the dockyard announcement on their website and big orange warning boxes that you had to click away when you went into the dockyard in game that the starter packs were only available before you ground out 4x levels from the directives.

not really given that there are still a lot of people confused/surprised by the matter.

in order to be clear the damn offer should have had everything necessary written on the window asking you to spend dubloons. the proof that it isnt clear is that it wasnt.

[ARGSY]
Members
22,219 posts
16,179 battles
35 minutes ago, monpetitloup said:

not really given that there are still a lot of people confused/surprised by the matter.

in order to be clear the damn offer should have had everything necessary written on the window asking you to spend dubloons. the proof that it isnt clear is that it wasnt.

There are players in this game who would plead ignorance of the conditions even if WG employees carved it backwards into their flesh and sat them before a mirror to contemplate the fact.

[0456]
Members
3,824 posts
10,091 battles
22 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

There are players in this game who would plead ignorance of the conditions even if WG employees carved it backwards into their flesh and sat them before a mirror to contemplate the fact.

Edit: I went way off topic with my post... point is there are people who will just remain oppressed by ignorance no matter how well it's laid out- but for the new folks there are a LOT of moving parts in this game so I can see how things slip through the cracks. 

Either way, you're right... I just wish they'd slow the [edited] down so we catch our breath. 

Edited by _ENO_

[WPORT]
Members
7,088 posts
12,062 battles
2 hours ago, Amenhir said:

Maybe one day WG will release a premium tier 1.

Mikasa and Tachibana Lima are pretty close to Tier-1.  ;-)

[1984]
Members
4,450 posts
21,484 battles
3 hours ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

there are players in this game who drool at the opportunity to mindlessly defend wargaming.