You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
HMCS_Moncton

New Port suggestion

22 comments in this topic

[1RD]
Members
72 posts
9,041 battles

I wanted to suggest a new port, something for us Canadian players: Halifax Harbour.

She served as the assembly point for convoys crossing the North Atlantic through two world wars, earning her nickname of 'Warden of the North'.  She has also welcomed millions of immigrants to our great country over the last 250 years.  My girlfriend use to live in Dartmouth, and her apartment overlooked the Bedford Basin, where we could watch an untold amount of ships coming and going (including the US aircraft carrier Dwight D. Eisenhower a couple of years ago).

Many thanks for your time.

Cheers,

Rob

• Cool 8

[SOV]
Members
5,105 posts
26 minutes ago, HMCS_Moncton said:

I wanted to suggest a new port, something for us Canadian players: Halifax Harbour.

She served as the assembly point for convoys crossing the North Atlantic through two world wars, earning her nickname of 'Warden of the North'.  She has also welcomed millions of immigrants to our great country over the last 250 years.  My girlfriend use to live in Dartmouth, and her apartment overlooked the Bedford Basin, where we could watch an untold amount of ships coming and going (including the US aircraft carrier Dwight D. Eisenhower a couple of years ago).

Cheers,

Rob

Boston thanks you for the tree every year!

Now about the harbor that drops 50 feet on tides.  The harbor could change depth sometimes.

[PVE]
Members
7,296 posts
23,183 battles
2 hours ago, jags_domain said:

Now about the harbor that drops 50 feet on tides.  The harbor could change depth sometimes.

Guess that makes putting ships in dry dock pretty easy :-)

• Funny 1

[FML]
Members
4,120 posts
16,057 battles
3 hours ago, HMCS_Moncton said:

Cheers,

Rob

Definitely agreed.  

Even though I am not a Canadian, something like this would be great to coincide with the release of the first Commonwealth tech tree line (maybe DDs, given how many RCN ships were DDs for Atlantic convoy duty), and then other ports like Sydney could be done for other Commonwealth tech tree lines (eg Cruisers, or battleships).  

@Hapa_Fodder - grateful if you could pass it up the line.  THanks! :)

[A-I-M]
Members
3,713 posts
23,853 battles
4 hours ago, HMCS_Moncton said:

Cheers,

Rob

Halifax Harbor on a painted sky evening?

I might stop using Ocean. 

Members
271 posts
9,746 battles
12 hours ago, HMCS_Moncton said:

Cheers,

Rob

And just for some historical drama, have the SS Mont-Blanc steaming into the harbor.

• Cool 1

[-TKS-]
Members
271 posts
9,087 battles

Most important question: would the port represent: pre or post or during 1917 explosion?

100% agree, it was one of the most important ports during the wars, plus THIS Canadian wants to see more Canadian representation. I don't want to wait but releasing this on Canada Day 2021 would be awesome.

[1RD]
Members
72 posts
9,041 battles
7 hours ago, brewakeg said:

And just for some historical drama, have the SS Mont-Blanc steaming into the harbor.

Not sure about the Mont-Blanc, but what about having SS Imo with the 'Belgian Relief' banner in the background?  Before the blast, obviously.

• Cool 1

[1RD]
Members
72 posts
9,041 battles
3 hours ago, TheGreatBlasto said:

How about the Scapa Flow?

There is a mosdef Russian Bias in ports selection.

Scapa Flow would be cool.  It would be a nice touch having HMS Royal Oak riding at anchor in the background, before Gunther Prien got to her.

[1RD]
Members
72 posts
9,041 battles
19 hours ago, jags_domain said:

The tree is a 'thank you' in perpetuity for Boston's help after the Halifax Explosion. :)

• Cool 1

[1RD]
Members
72 posts
9,041 battles
3 hours ago, Freelancerinc said:

Most important question: would the port represent: pre or post or during 1917 explosion?

100% agree, it was one of the most important ports during the wars, plus THIS Canadian wants to see more Canadian representation. I don't want to wait but releasing this on Canada Day 2021 would be awesome.

I was thinking more post-Explosion, in about 1941, at the height of the Royal Canadian Navy's involvement in shouldering most of the burden for our end of the North Atlantic Run.  Having HMCS Sackville in the background would be nice too, one of the last corvettes still afloat.

[PVE]
Members
7,296 posts
23,183 battles
8 hours ago, brewakeg said:

5 hours ago, Freelancerinc said:

1 hour ago, HMCS_Moncton said:

The tree is a 'thank you' in perpetuity for Boston's help after the Halifax Explosion. :)

Almost 30 years before the 1st nuclear bombs & to this day still hold the record for largest man made non nuclear explosion.

Edited by IfYouSeeKhaos

[-TKS-]
Members
271 posts
9,087 battles
12 minutes ago, IfYouSeeKhaos said:

Almost 30 years before the 1st nuclear bombs & to this day still hold the record for largest man made non nuclear explosion.

i wanted to say this, but also didn't wanna do the research it vs the 2020 Beirut explosion

[SOV]
Members
5,105 posts

I was surprised how many people actually Boston people actually know that.

Its quite the show in Boston Common for the lighting ceremony.

[PVE]
Members
7,296 posts
23,183 battles
8 minutes ago, Freelancerinc said:

i wanted to say this, but also didn't wanna do the research it vs the 2020 Beirut explosion

Beirut is estimated at 1-1.5k tons of TNT...Halifax was estimated at 3k tons.

Think the refinery (Texas maybe but forget for certain) where they stored the shuttle fuel topped Beirut even...but of course the casualty & property damage numbers are much higher for Beirut as the refinery was alone out in the middle of a field & the refinery was smoldering for a long time giving people plenty of advanced warning to vacate the area.

Edited by IfYouSeeKhaos

[YORHA]
Members
5,203 posts
10,359 battles

I was thinking more post-Explosion, in about 1941, at the height of the Royal Canadian Navy's involvement in shouldering most of the burden for our end of the North Atlantic Run.  Having HMCS Sackville in the background would be nice too, one of the last corvettes still afloat.

A minor correction.

HMCS Sackville is the last surviving Flower Class Corvette from WWII.

Edited by JCC45

[CHBAY]
Beta Testers
609 posts
3,903 battles
2 hours ago, IfYouSeeKhaos said:

Always remembered

Beta Testers
151 posts
14,122 battles

A few harbor Ideas:

San Francisco ( Fisherman's Warf)

Suez/ Panama Canal

Sydney Harbor

Scapa Flow

Truk (Chuk) Atoll

Singapore

Did i miss any??:cap_popcorn: