Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Col_Nasty

Hill Cits Ranger with HE???

17 comments in this topic

[GOB]
Members
2,513 posts

First game in the Hill I got from the last event, Working on the Gift Flakes.

T-5 DD vs T-6 CV

Just trying to finish a round with HE as I closed on the CV and twice I got Cits with those looping HE rounds.  How is that possible??

Edited by Col_Nasty

[HC]
[HC]
Beta Testers
3,379 posts
13,062 battles
3 minutes ago, Col_Nasty said:

Just trying to finish a round with HE as I closed on the CV and twice I got Cits with those looping HE rounds.  How is that possible??

Ranger has an exposed Citadel and practically no armor on it, which she's kinda famous for. She's an oddity that just about everything can Citadel her with HE. Some of the low tier light cruisers like Yubari have the same problem.

A few of the Russian battleships are similarly vulnerable, but in their case, you do need a big enough HE round, and have the sneak the shell in behind a secondary turret to hit them in exactly the right spot.

• Cool 1

[GOB]
Members
2,513 posts
Just now, SgtBeltfed said:

Ranger has an exposed Citadel and practically no armor on it, which she's kinda famous for. She's an oddity that just about everything can Citadel her with HE. Some of the low tier light cruisers like Yubari have the same problem.

A few of the Russian battleships are similarly vulnerable, but in their case, you do need a big enough HE round, and have the sneak the shell in behind a secondary turret to hit them in exactly the right spot.

Thnx!  I have never done that before but it has been a long time since I played below T9-10

[CAP]
Members
390 posts
16,527 battles

Training room is a good tool if you want to play around with understanding what shell can do what against what ship.

• Cool 1
  • Thanks 1

[QNA]
[QNA]
Members
2,397 posts
7,010 battles

Ranger has less than 35mm of Armor. This is why I tell people to shoot HE at ships like Ranger and Ryujo.

[FOXEH]
Banned
14,364 posts
20,327 battles
38 minutes ago, Col_Nasty said:

How is that possible??

Low tier CVs are notoriously thin skinned; I've citadeled Hoshos and Langleys with Fujin HE.

[RLGN]
Members
15,184 posts
26,836 battles
11 minutes ago, Umikami said:

Low tier CVs are notoriously thin skinned; I've citadeled Hoshos and Langleys with Fujin HE.

True fun is having a Minekaze close in for an ‘easy’ kill, and they get blapped by one of your Langley’s pop guns.

(Once got a CQE versus a Minekaze in my Langley.)

[SCREW]
Members
390 posts
18,217 battles

Carriers have pretty thin armor until t10. Hell, a clemson can cit a langley with HE.

[FOXEH]
Banned
14,364 posts
20,327 battles
2 hours ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

True fun is having a Minekaze close in for an ‘easy’ kill, and they get blapped by one of your Langley’s pop guns.

(Once got a CQE versus a Minekaze in my Langley.)

That has to be as rare as shooting down an airplane with one of the Kami sisters!

[PVE]
Members
7,314 posts
23,183 battles
4 hours ago, Col_Nasty said:

T-5 DD vs T-6 CV

All low tier CVs (including T6...except maybe the RNs & KMs... haven't played since they were introduced so no data on them) are easily citted w/HE.

I do believe even some of the T8s are cuttable (lol...spell checker...obviously meant cittable...but cuttable works too...lol) w/DD HE shells...but don't quote me on that...as I said... it's been awhile.

Cruisers can cit most T8s pretty easily w/their HE though.

But all CVs in comparison to any other ship type (at least the cruisers & BBs...maybe even some of the DDs...but not many) have exceptionally thin armor comparatively as the weight makes them slower & speed was their escape route...especially when loaded down w/all of those "infinite" planes :-)

Edited by IfYouSeeKhaos

[QNA]
[QNA]
Members
2,397 posts
7,010 battles

And you wonder why I am willing to attack an enemy ship when I am attacked in close quarters combat...

[IMP]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
364 posts
5,652 battles

Yes, I've scored several citadel hits on Ranger with my Okhotnik, through the bow. Funnily enough that Ranger I killed was a first blood...

[ARGSY]
Members
22,423 posts
16,285 battles
4 hours ago, Torenico said:

Funnily enough that Ranger I killed was a first blood...

"But CV is invulnerable and there is no counter!" :Smile_trollface:

• Thanks 1

[WOLFC]
Members
2,210 posts
10,558 battles

CV’s light armor cuts both ways. Low tiers are easy to citadel with HE, but skilled players will turn broadside to battleships at medium-to-close range (and there’s a lot of these engagements late game) and laugh as the AP overpens. These ships are incredibly vulnerable to plunging fire.

Things shift at tier X, where the CVs have armored flight decks that are good at bouncing AP when angled, but their thicker hull armor makes them less susceptible to BB overpens.

Edited by Nevermore135

Sign in to follow this