You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
digger52

Asymmetric Battles - early Days but which ships suit the battle type

15 comments in this topic

[TRW]
Beta Testers
191 posts
20,094 battles

Played a few battles now both as the high tier and lower tier sides and some very early observations

1/ As a low tier BB the Mutsui seems well suited as it hits hard for its tier and torp, I took on 2 tier 8s with it, killed 1 seriously damaged another before dying

2/ Took the California in to a cruiser and dd heavy fight on the high tier side, with its accurate rifles I decimated 3 cruisers and top scored higher than our 3 tier 8 bbs

3/ High tier DDs - The japanese gunboats seem to work well as stealthy enough, can hunt down the low tier dds early

Havent played enough to see which cruisers suit this battle type but i will be trying out my Perth and Exeter.

For those that have tried this mode which ships do you think are best suited?

[PMWC1]
Members
209 posts
6,792 battles

I’ve had my best results in Ochakov so far.  I’m sure it’s not a popular choice but it has the tools to kill DDs which there are a lot of.

If matchmaking is mostly BBS then you can play at a distance and spam HE.  It’s small enough you don’t get punished too much by tier 5-6 BBs.

[SALVO]
Members
5,901 posts
4,946 battles

As low tier, best options are any DD who can stealth torp and BBs with good HE. 

As high tiers, anything with decent ROF could do the trick.

[THICC]
Beta Testers
967 posts
6,847 battles

Tier 6 BBs with 15 or 16 inch guns.  Tier 5-6 DD with good torpedoes.

Tier 8 cruisers with heals are probably some of the best picks.  Tier 8 DD are a little on the weak side just because they don't kill large numbers of enemies as well as the opposite.  Tier 8 BB are for the most part alright, but suffer a bit because tier 5-6 DD are so strong versus them, Bismarck and Odin are probably some of the best due to having hydro.

Most tier 5s and tier 7s aren't really worth bringing I think. 

Members
1,797 posts
5,635 battles

Cleveland - if you're spotted, your radar will find them, eat DDs for breakfast, lunch and dinner.  Reasonably agile, brings hydro to the fight as well.  T5/6 BB will not be happy with you. 

Members
990 posts
11,209 battles

Cruisers tend to be a bad choice for the low team.  High team BBs crush them pretty easily.  The very few times I have lost on the low side have been on a cruiser-heavy lineup.

DDs and 16-in BBs do well on the low team, unless the high team has two carriers and you have none.

For the first few days the MM seemed eager to dump 7 low team DDs into a battle against all bots on the high team, to Subsequently make a battle with as many low team cruisers as possible against a full-human high team.

[WOLF2]
Members
309 posts
7,284 battles

Every battle I've brought the Kiev I've won thus far. It absolutely bullies the living crud out of tier V and VI DDs and CLs, and after the BB you're torching fires one salvo at you at range and misses by a mile they won't fire at you again. Podvoisky is a good choice as well, as it allows for quick capping and infiltration behind enemy lines to throw the red team's plans into total chaos.

Russian gunboat DDs are a ton of fun in this mode and very powerful when played to their strengths.

[SRBL]
Members
531 posts
13,322 battles

Odin is a beast in this mode. Long range secondaries and mains that chew up cruisers. Highly maneuverable and the torps to go bow on to an enemy BB while you focus someone else down before turning to give him a few. 

[WOLFC]
Members
2,150 posts
10,861 battles

I'm finding Asashio burns through the DD's & cruisers pretty quickly.

Lower tier?   Texas

[WORX]
Members
11,910 posts
19,455 battles

It really depends on the fleet make up on both sides... For the most part, German BBs especially the new ones are clearly the favorite. Here is why,

• In match with heavy DDs, must used are torp DDs like the Fubuki.. The Odins Hydro guarantees, he dont need help from any cruiser. In this game mode, if your ships has a lot of capabilities like an Odin, You're more then likely to win. You dont need teammates because you dont have much of them at high tier. 
  • German BBs AP hit hard at mid tier cruisers.

What I like about the new game mod, the lack of MM restriction on both sides. Which is the extreme of the math principles used in Randoms (which are).

• Principle of chance
  • Principle of Random
  • Principle of probability.

With new ships pushing the bar on their capabilities (making them disproportional in their abilities). This game mod fits for the ships capabilities we have.

The game mode has been a breath of fresh air. As long as it stays as is... (Any game mod with CVs, will have extreme reactions. In this Game mod, no different).

[TORCH]
Members
663 posts
17,002 battles

So far, I've only played on the low-tier side, but I've had pretty good luck with every cruiser I've tried.  One game I got blapped early by a T8 BB, but most games I've been able to play my standard run and gun, spam HE, and burn, baby burn game, and frustrate the heck out of the reds.  Last game I played, my Konigsberg tortured a Lazo for half the game.  In the end, I took him on mano-e-mano.  I got a kill, and he got a flesh wound.  

[QNA]
[QNA]
Members
2,397 posts
7,010 battles

It just depends on what ship you are good at and whether or not you can support the team. Last night I figured I would play Asashio for some laughs but I focused on supporting my fleet instead of going suicide by attempting to cap or taking the long route to spot and ended up not dying like most players at the start of the game.