You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
lallave

WW2 Japanese Destroyers

39 comments in this topic

[_JAG_]
Members
57 posts
4,580 battles

W of W needs to update its software when it comes to firing torpedoes from a WW2 era Japanese destroyer. Japanese torpedoes used a mixture of oxygen and kerosene for the fuel mix and not compressed air and kerosene like all other torpedoes. The result of this innovation is that a Japanese WW2 torpedo could run longer and faster and carry a bigger explosive load than the typical destroyer from the Allies. Not only that but the Japanese torpedo did not leave a bubble wake as did Allied torpedoes. They were undetectable until they hit. The United States did not find this out until after the war was over. It was one of the most well kept secrets of the War and gave Japanese destroyers a big advantage. You can read all about it in the book by Capt Tameichi Hara, the top ranked destroyer captain who survived the war and wrote about his experiences. To be historically correct W of W needs to redo its torpedo rating software to reflect this fact. 

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Boring 1

[QNA]
[QNA]
Members
2,397 posts
7,010 battles

Yep and all ship's carried more than 40 torpedoes and reloaded them in battle.

• Cool 1
  • Funny 5
  • Haha 2

SuperTest Coordinator, Beta Testers
6,653 posts
12,056 battles

Undetectable torpedoes for Japan would be a terrifying thought. Reducing torp detection to 0 wouldn't be appropriate. Maybe reducing it down 10-20% for high-tier IJN might be beneficial. Not extreme enough to go osoi, but enough so that incidental torpedoes aren't spotted by a neighboring ship.

• Cool 1

[LWA]
Members
1,194 posts
40 minutes ago, lallave said:

W of W needs to update its software when it comes to firing torpedoes from a WW2 era Japanese destroyer. Japanese torpedoes used a mixture of oxygen and kerosene for the fuel mix and not compressed air and kerosene like all other torpedoes. The result of this innovation is that a Japanese WW2 torpedo could run longer and faster and carry a bigger explosive load than the typical destroyer from the Allies. Not only that but the Japanese torpedo did not leave a bubble wake as did Allied torpedoes. They were undetectable until they hit. The United States did not find this out until after the war was over. It was one of the most well kept secrets of the War and gave Japanese destroyers a big advantage. You can read all about it in the book by Capt Tameichi Hara, the top ranked destroyer captain who survived the war and wrote about his experiences. To be historically correct W of W needs to redo its torpedo rating software to reflect this fact. 

On the flip side of using oxygen and kerosene......this torpedo fuel source made the torpedoes very unstable.  During WW2, Japanese destroyer captains would dump the torpedoes overboard when threatened with air attacks.

The IJN cruiser Mikuma was devastated when an aerial bomb hit her torpedoes.....

Mikuma.thumb.jpg.5b74d81975a4e003a00a92d66807e748.jpg

I get nervous when driving on the road around a tracker trailer hauling liquid oxygen and I would feel safer riding behind a trailer hauling gasoline that was leaking.  Pure oxygen is very volatile and unstable and will ignite with huge boom and a mushroom cloud.

NASA learned not to use pure oxygen in the space capsule after a spark ignited the oxygen rich capsule and burned alive the Apollo One crew.   Oxygen is very dangerous......

• Cool 3

[FOXEH]
Banned
14,364 posts
20,292 battles
52 minutes ago, lallave said:

To be historically correct W of W needs to redo its torpedo rating software to reflect this fact.

World of Warships will never reduce IJN torpedo detection ranges to zero; as a matter of fact, they raised IJN torpedo detection values to their current, totally unreasonable distances because of battleship whining. Why? Because WG sells more BBs than any other premium ships and takes serious, overkill level steps to protect them. IJN DDs have been nerfed into near uselessness behind complaints by players who refuse to learn how to turn or change speed while they fight their ships. IJN torps, which in real life were the stealthiest available at the time, and the easiest to be detected in the game. Next time someone jumps up with their "historical accuracy" argument you can remind them of this.

• Cool 4
  • Boring 4

[VAST_]
Members
146 posts
4,586 battles

OP you are correct however I don't advise attempting to persuade WG to start making the game more realistic - that way lies madness. 

Cheers!

• Cool 1

Members
37 posts
921 battles
24 minutes ago, Compassghost said:

Undetectable torpedoes for Japan would be a terrifying thought. Reducing torp detection to 0 wouldn't be appropriate. Maybe reducing it down 10-20% for high-tier IJN might be beneficial. Not extreme enough to go osoi, but enough so that incidental torpedoes aren't spotted by a neighboring ship.

I support lowering torp detection for ijn torps (shimikaze would be so fun) but at the end of the day it is a multiplayer game that requires some game balance 

[WOLFG]
Members
31,281 posts
9,617 battles
1 hour ago, lallave said:

To be historically correct W of W needs to redo its torpedo rating software to reflect this fact. 

You do realise that you aren't playing a game intended to be historically correct, right?

If you want though, we can make it historical, your torps are undetectable, but you only get 2 shots, with a 5-minute reload in between.....

Edited by Skpstr

SuperTest Coordinator, Beta Testers
6,653 posts
12,056 battles

Also, historically accurate IJN ships would detonate so often because they're carrying volatile oxygen torpedoes ._.

[46856]
Members
1,871 posts
1 hour ago, lallave said:

I lost my attention at the historical part. This game was never historically correct and anyone saying that I find is weaponizing the word for their own ideology about how they see others should play the game to the person's liking.

I mean we have

Jingles

anime Japanese girl  having untranslatable orgasms when talking about the ship being hit or on fire.

paper ships that never existed including montana

A Dasha captain that spans most of the tech tree and can only speak Russian when playing English speaking ships or Japanese ships.

A hockey player who is a captain- mind you he is a hockey god so that one squeaks by.

Historical accuracy oooooh yeaah!!!

Edited by Chain_shot
  • Cool 1
  • Boring 1

[SYN]
[SYN]
Beta Testers
2,343 posts
13,469 battles

Repeat after me: This is not a simulation.

It's not even a really good game...

• Thanks 3

Members
4,323 posts
3,255 battles
2 hours ago, lallave said:

We really don't need torpedoes with a 40 KM range going 67 km/hr, or 22km range going 93 km/hr which are the Long Lance stats. And hitting like a ton of bricks. Or the American Mk 14 and 15 torpedoes that were duds 75% of the time until they were completely replaced in 44. 

It's not a simulation, thank god. 

• Cool 2

[TRU]
Members
711 posts
20,549 battles
24 minutes ago, chewonit said:

Repeat after me: This is not a simulation.

It's not even a really good game...

Man you wasted a lot of game AND forum time then good sir! 

I agree with your first thought though.  

[GOOF]
Members
773 posts
6,476 battles

At 9 years old I read Richard tregaskis Guadalcanal diary, the Japanese destroyers instilled a sense of awe when I read about their constant attacks on Henderson and their totally spreads in the battle of Guadalcanal.

Unfortunately this is not so in WOWS and it's sad. 

For just the least bit of historical significance ijn DDS need a recheck.

[WHARF]
Members
296 posts
18,433 battles
3 hours ago, lallave said:

told them years ago...

[WAIFU]
[WAIFU]
Members
454 posts
10,422 battles

Well the torps when the game first started had very low detection (around 1.2-1.5 if I remember correctly) but turns out High Alpha, Fast Torps, Long Range and Low detection is pretty overpowered and ended up encouraging the lemming community to just spam torps heck the term torp soup

[HTDGS]
Members
463 posts
10,836 battles
Just now, MobileChernobyl said:

Historically speaking ships weren't built with Hit Points

Crew *could* be considered hitpoints....

[PT]
Members
967 posts
3,000 battles

It's just a arcade shooting game with WW2 ships. If it was more realistic a 16 inch AP shell hit would vaporize a Destroyer, A single torp hit on a BB could easily cripple it, not knock 10% of its health off, cruisers would not drop anchor next to islands and radar would not be able to go through mountains. 

[HEROS]
Members
2,056 posts
18,690 battles

This is a very old argument on these forums.  The only thing in this game that is historically accurate are the ship models of actual ships that were build.. all the other ships are conjecture and best guess.   

The game mechanic are not realistic.  The ship models them selves are about 2X the size they should be just so players can actually score hits.  Ammo supply is endless. The mechanics of gun fire are reasonably true to the real world but wanders off else where rapidly the moment a question of "Game Balance" raises it's ugly head.  Game balance wins over realism every single time.

WG is not going to change this because first of foremost this is a game.   Thats we get a little history along with our naval combat arcade game is a bonus, but game play only resembles realism.   It's not realistic over all in the least little tiniest of ways.  Accept it please for your own sake   and enjoy the game for what it is.  There are realistic naval combat "sims" out there and I encourage you to go check them out, just don't expect it of World of Warships>

[-TRM-]
[-TRM-]
Members
1,734 posts
5,386 battles
5 hours ago, db4100 said:

On the flip side of using oxygen and kerosene......this torpedo fuel source made the torpedoes very unstable.  During WW2, Japanese destroyer captains would dump the torpedoes overboard when threatened with air attacks.

The IJN cruiser Mikuma was devastated when an aerial bomb hit her torpedoes.....

I get nervous when driving on the road around a tracker trailer hauling liquid oxygen and I would feel safer riding behind a trailer hauling gasoline that was leaking.  Pure oxygen is very volatile and unstable and will ignite with huge boom and a mushroom cloud.

NASA learned not to use pure oxygen in the space capsule after a spark ignited the oxygen rich capsule and burned alive the Apollo One crew.   Oxygen is very dangerous......

You would be a fool to ride behind a gasoline tanker leaking gasoline. If it went up you essentially will be cremated quickly. The burn damage would be such that you are reduced to something like a lump of kingsford charchoal unidentifiable.

I am a life long trucker and hazmat is one thing I have done in life and at this point stayed updated more or less in my days. There is usually a diamond with either a UN Number, Class of product (Class 3 flammable for gasoline etc) and the 4 digit number of the product type aboard the rig. Its very precise.

Liquid oxygen would be in a Cryogenic tanker, for products with a boiling point up to -130F Oxygen would be around -298 give or take a degree as a liquid. Probably pale blue inside a very special tank that functions like a gigantic Stanley Thermos in Vacumn between the inner lining and outside lining vs Atmosphere at whatever temperature such as 100 degrees in summer. Very large differences. It wants to become a gas which is regulated until able to be provided to a hospital patient via a onsite cryogenic storage tank away from the main building. If you put anything organic to Oxygen its going to burn really badly especially badly. And not stop burning.

When we humans consume oxygen it lights a form of combustion that provides a form of fire inside of us and its part of life. If you give someone 100% oxygen and introduce a open flame of any kind near that patient. Poof no more patient and a burned out hospital room or wing. You would be surprised how dangerous the stuff is.

I am not familiar with the technology used to protect ship or sub torpedoes using liquid oxygen. But possibly vacumn bottles similar to our Stanley Thermos in construction and fed to something else that will react with it on contact beyond a regulator.

another technology in use today in Navy submarines is based on a Stirling Engine concept. A difference in heat and cold is what drives the engine. Some of the quietest and most dangerous submarines run off this techology as it is essentially very quiet.

Edited by xHeavy

Members
708 posts
7 hours ago, db4100 said:

Oxygen is not flammable.

• Confused 2