Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
The_Pig_of_PIGs

Auto Pilot CVs changed???

23 comments in this topic

[PIG]
[PIG]
Members
1,314 posts
6,616 battles

Oink, etc
I have the impression the auto pilot has changed once more.
I set some course and then see the CV hull recalculating...
Sometimes, towards the reds, and get sunk.
Ship is HPS Franz von G... mean,  HPS August von Parseval.
Goltz

• Boring 1

[WOLF5]
Supertester
4,843 posts
4,285 battles

It was changed a while back. It used to be it went where you told it, even if that was an island or in front of the enemy. The "improved" version now drives into islands or the enemy all by itself.

The idea was to have it avoid islands on its own (WG doesn't trust the playerbase to set waypoints to do that apparently). The problem is the system has a really interesting ideas about the size of your turning radius and the location of islands. Which results in it doing really weird things sometimes, like reversing out from behind an island that it had plenty of clearance for. Basically don't let it anywhere near islands, it gets really confused (though to be fair, islands in WOWS are confusing since they are transparent to radio and sound waves). It would be really useful if you could tell the system to NEVER use reverse. But no, we have new and improved autopilot, it runs into islands on its own.

Basically, the autopilot is messed up, try to stick to straight lines as anything more complicated may result in your CV driving into the enemy.

• Thanks 1

[KIA-C]
Supertester
1,828 posts
6,165 battles

In a recent Q&A, WG specified that they know and are working on fixing it.

Question is how long til.

• Haha 1

Members
2,420 posts
52 battles

Nothing has happened to it. It just has always been this horrendous ever since they "fixed" autopilot.

[-TKS-]
Members
1,282 posts
10,324 battles

Funny. Last time I was playing Coop Enterprise I set a course in autopilot and went about my business killing bots. Next thing I know I’m taking fire. My cv was slowly reversing with its aft towards the enemy.

• Haha 1

[S0L0]
[S0L0]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
4,826 posts
7,534 battles

Yea... I can chock up 2-3 sinkings a week, by trying to be aggressive in a CV..   Sooner or later it just freaks out with an obstacle or map edge and then auto-pilot decides you're dead.. Following closely along with a push, trying to stay aggressive...they change direction and bam... you're auto pilot leaves you on your own, path-finding with a Blindfold, ouji board and a divining rod......I'm almost to the point of just staying back.  Even in open ocean it most of the time answers any course change with starting in reverse?  It was terrible to start with..   a few patches afterward they had it somewhat reasonable...  as long as you gave it a lot of waypoints,. One of the more recent patches... it just went full on stupid bad?    It's like someone added an RNG nerf for playing the ship correctly...

• Thanks 1

[PIG]
[PIG]
Members
1,314 posts
6,616 battles
7 hours ago, AJTP89 said:

It was changed a while back. It used to be it went where you told it, even if that was an island or in front of the enemy. The "improved" version now drives into islands or the enemy all by itself.

The idea was to have it avoid islands on its own (WG doesn't trust the playerbase to set waypoints to do that apparently). The problem is the system has a really interesting ideas about the size of your turning radius and the location of islands. Which results in it doing really weird things sometimes, like reversing out from behind an island that it had plenty of clearance for. Basically don't let it anywhere near islands, it gets really confused (though to be fair, islands in WOWS are confusing since they are transparent to radio and sound waves). It would be really useful if you could tell the system to NEVER use reverse. But no, we have new and improved autopilot, it runs into islands on its own.

Basically, the autopilot is messed up, try to stick to straight lines as anything more complicated may result in your CV driving into the enemy.

Ok, I had the impression they did another change with the last upgrade.
Maybe it's Parseval? I have weard behaviors. I set the wayponts and then, the auto pilot changes the course... sometimes, I have to F-Land, then manoeuvre the hull!!!
We all complain about this stuff since months, and nobody is happy about it.
Why not do something like B and we can control the ship while squadron is flying.
After all, when I play DDs, I launch torps, gun, smoke, etc and also WASD.
Are DD players expected to be mulitask and CV players mono tasked?
Oink!

[WPORT]
Members
8,141 posts
13,187 battles

All of my CV's have been affected at one time or another with the current autopilot.

As others have stated, proximity to islands and map borders freaks-out the autopilot.

Manual player corrections, at the expense of being able to fly one's planes, are sometimes necessary.

Careful plotting of the waypoints helps, but is not 100% certain.

• Cool 1

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
29,887 posts
25,782 battles

It's been bad for a long time and I remember some CV drivers celebrated how much better it became after some changes in 2019, Post-CV Rebork :Smile_teethhappy:

I think it's terrible, I wondered what kind of drugs those guys were on to think it was good to go.

[QNA]
[QNA]
Members
2,397 posts
7,014 battles

The path you see when setting your waypoint is the path you will go on. So If you have your waypoint smack into a wall and then another direction, you will do a Y-Turn. In many instances, if you REALLY gotta turn, when you swap your planes just manually turn your ship and then when it finally makes that turn you can set up its waypoint again. I sure miss old waypoints...

[BEA5T]
Members
548 posts
17,391 battles
2 hours ago, Usedcarjock said:

Funny. Last time I was playing Coop Enterprise I set a course in autopilot and went about my business killing bots. Next thing I know I’m taking fire. My cv was slowly reversing with its aft towards the enemy.

Oh my goodness I can relate to this. I cant tell you how many times as I hit the F button and no longer flying I find my CV is heading backwards.     

34 minutes ago, iRA6E said:

Yea... I can chock up 2-3 sinkings a week, by trying to be aggressive in a CV..   Sooner or later it just freaks out with an obstacle or map edge and then auto-pilot decides you're dead.. Following closely along with a push, trying to stay aggressive...they change direction and bam... you're auto pilot leaves you on your own, path-finding with a Blindfold, ouji board and a divining rod......I'm almost to the point of just staying back.  Even in open ocean it most of the time answers any course change with starting in reverse?  It was terrible to start with..   a few patches afterward they had it somewhat reasonable...  as long as you gave it a lot of waypoints,. One of the more recent patches... it just went full on stupid bad?    It's like someone added an RNG nerf for playing the ship correctly...

LOL specially in AEGIS I find my Ark Royal almost always starting in reverse  

35 minutes ago, Wolfswetpaws said:

All of my CV's have been affected at one time or another with the current autopilot.

As others have stated, proximity to islands and map borders freaks-out the autopilot.

Manual player corrections, at the expense of being able to fly one's planes, are sometimes necessary.

Careful plotting of the waypoints helps, but is not 100% certain.

It has gotten to the point in Killer Whale I refuse to set the way points anywhere near any of the Islands.  I have found if you set the final anywhere remotely near an island ... the BOW will be setting dang at the island and the CV will have need to be placed into reverse to clear it.   When it takes a long time to get to the anchor ( specially in when the anchor is on the WEST side ) doing it after the 5 min mark can mean your CV may not make it to the circle in time.    So either you in the middle of the channel which then places your CV in greater risk to be spotted and focused upon or set it further away and then have to ensure you focus on time management  instead of trying to focus on making as many paper cuts as possible on the TOASTER BOTS to assist your team.  

[-TKS-]
Members
1,282 posts
10,324 battles
24 minutes ago, Noworriesderpy1 said:

Oh my goodness I can relate to this. I cant tell you how many times as I hit the F button and no longer flying I find my CV is heading backwards.     

LOL specially in AEGIS I find my Ark Royal almost always starting in reverse  

It has gotten to the point in Killer Whale I refuse to set the way points anywhere near any of the Islands.  I have found if you set the final anywhere remotely near an island ... the BOW will be setting dang at the island and the CV will have need to be placed into reverse to clear it.   When it takes a long time to get to the anchor ( specially in when the anchor is on the WEST side ) doing it after the 5 min mark can mean your CV may not make it to the circle in time.    So either you in the middle of the channel which then places your CV in greater risk to be spotted and focused upon or set it further away and then have to ensure you focus on time management  instead of trying to focus on making as many paper cuts as possible on the TOASTER BOTS to assist your team.  

Yeah Killer Whale did some funky things to my Ranger. Islands just freak the auto pilot out and instead of going west, the auto pilot decided to go south, then east all the way to the other end, and THEN west.

[WOLF5]
Supertester
4,843 posts
4,285 battles
50 minutes ago, Usedcarjock said:

Yeah Killer Whale did some funky things to my Ranger. Islands just freak the auto pilot out and instead of going west, the auto pilot decided to go south, then east all the way to the other end, and THEN west.

Personal favorite is Raptor Rescue. Made the mistake of trying to set a course between two islands (yeah, yeah I know, bad idea, wasn't thinking). Autopilot gave no indication of trouble. Flying around happily bombing bots when I notice the CV is taking damage. Hmm, that's fine it'll go behind that island in a second and be fine. Second later I'm on half HP, wth, return to CV. CV is reversing out from behind island in front of bot cruiser....:Smile_facepalm: At that point it was too late, even with manual control I was never going to get out of there in time. I scrambled DBs and manage to sink the bot before he got me, I had a whole 2K HP to spare.

Next game I decided not to go behind the islands. But because the bot spawn is variable I had to wait to decide which way to go around. Sure enough by the time the bots spawned I was too close to the islands for the autopilot to navigate around. It started to go into reverse. I had to manually drive the damn thing around the islands, which amazing it was actually able to do... (of course this was the game where the team let a 1K HP cruiser into ramming distance of Raptor, finally killed it, then allowed it to get torped by bot DDs. I had to quit playing after that).

Honestly it would be much better if they programmed it to never use reverse. If the system can't do the course without reversing then don't allow the waypoint to be set there or something. I almost never want the CV to reverse, so don't it, and especially don't do it without telling me. I honestly would just prefer a system where the CV goes directly to the waypoint I set, let me worry about whether that's physically possible. That way if I drive into something, it's my fault and not something almost entirely out of my control.

• Cool 1

[QNA]
[QNA]
Members
2,397 posts
7,014 battles

This is what I do with waypoints in nearly every battle in my CV:

1. Set waypoints and look at where those lines go as that will be your path
    1. DO NOT SET YOUR WAYPOINTS DIRECTLY IN THE PATH OF AN ISLAND
      1. Set your waypoint so that your line is nearly straight pass an island, not zig-zag along the coastline
  2. Set to 1/2 speed
  3. Fly your plane
  4. Adjust according to the battle in the map (as in move the waypoint, don't set a new waypoint as this will set you to full speed)
  5. If you need to stop moving, set your waypoint in front of your ship
  6. If you need to reverse:
    1. Set your waypoint in front of your ship
    2. Return to your ship
    3. Full reverse
  7. If you get spotted, set your waypoint so that you can go full speed:
    1. towards or away from Battleship shell fire
    2. anywhere that is not straight from Destroyer torpedo attack
    3. either towards, away, or anywhere not straight according to Aircraft Carrier attack
  8. If you need to take a sharp turn that your waypoint won't allow you to:
    1. Return to your ship
    2. Full turn in the direction you need to go
    3. Fly your plane
    4. Once your turn has been close to being achieved, set up your waypoints again

This is my example, it's probably not a good example but this is my example. I have more than plenty of CV Battles you can reference to see what I am talking about. You are not completely at the will of waypoints but you have to be willing to make those fast adjustments and willing to return to your ship to set a speed or change a direction and fly your plane as fast as you can. Up until after the CV Update of last year, I never had issues with waypoints.

Edited by Vangm94

[NUWES]
Members
3,385 posts
12,292 battles
5 hours ago, El2aZeR said:

Nothing has happened to it. It just has always been this horrendous ever since they "fixed" autopilot.

^This. It's definitely better than it was but it is still pretty bad especially if you are anywhere near a map border.

[PIG]
[PIG]
Members
1,314 posts
6,616 battles
2 hours ago, Tzarevitch said:

^This. It's definitely better than it was but it is still pretty bad especially if you are anywhere near a map border.

Less bad... What I notice now it's the autopilot recalculates permanently. Sometimes, ship stops goes backwards, etc... But now, it does weird calculations. I recently set up wayponts not too close from islands and borders... I check regularly the minimap "in case of", what do I see? My Parseval sailing full speed towards 2 BBs... Spotted, game over. Goltz.

[NUWES]
Members
3,385 posts
12,292 battles
4 hours ago, franz_von_goltz said:

Less bad... What I notice now it's the autopilot recalculates permanently. Sometimes, ship stops goes backwards, etc... But now, it does weird calculations. I recently set up wayponts not too close from islands and borders... I check regularly the minimap "in case of", what do I see? My Parseval sailing full speed towards 2 BBs... Spotted, game over. Goltz.

I try to check it after each flight after the same thing happened to me. It's better than it was before but it still has issues. For example it will absolutely freak out if the course is anywhere near the map edge even if the ship can fit. 

Members
39 posts
18,704 battles

My God I thought it was me. I keep setting my course for my CV and all the time it's on its own doing whatever it wants to do. I can't even reverse unless I do it manually. Turning around is hopeless enough smack Into an island. What were these people that redesign this  thinking of? It was better off before when they left it as it was.

[QNA]
[QNA]
Members
2,397 posts
7,014 battles
29 minutes ago, Richard_Hansen1 said:

My God I thought it was me. I keep setting my course for my CV and all the time it's on its own doing whatever it wants to do. I can't even reverse unless I do it manually. Turning around is hopeless enough smack Into an island. What were these people that redesign this  thinking of? It was better off before when they left it as it was.

The lines your way points set is the line your ship will move. Adjust accordingly and you will not have many issues with auto pilot.

Members
39 posts
18,704 battles

If I set way points and then in the battle I change them, is there something extra I need to do before I change those pre-existing waypoints?

Edited by Richard_Hansen1

[QNA]
[QNA]
Members
2,397 posts
7,014 battles
45 minutes ago, Richard_Hansen1 said:

If I set way points and then in the battle I change them, is there something extra I need to do before I change those pre-existing waypoints?

On 9/8/2020 at 10:20 AM, Vangm94 said:

This is what I do with waypoints in nearly every battle in my CV:

1. Set waypoints and look at where those lines go as that will be your path
    1. DO NOT SET YOUR WAYPOINTS DIRECTLY IN THE PATH OF AN ISLAND
      1. Set your waypoint so that your line is nearly straight pass an island, not zig-zag along the coastline
  2. Set to 1/2 speed
  3. Fly your plane
  4. Adjust according to the battle in the map (as in move the waypoint, don't set a new waypoint as this will set you to full speed)
  5. If you need to stop moving, set your waypoint in front of your ship
  6. If you need to reverse:
    1. Set your waypoint in front of your ship
    2. Return to your ship
    3. Full reverse
  7. If you get spotted, set your waypoint so that you can go full speed:
    1. towards or away from Battleship shell fire
    2. anywhere that is not straight from Destroyer torpedo attack
    3. either towards, away, or anywhere not straight according to Aircraft Carrier attack
  8. If you need to take a sharp turn that your waypoint won't allow you to:
    1. Return to your ship
    2. Full turn in the direction you need to go
    3. Fly your plane
    4. Once your turn has been close to being achieved, set up your waypoints again

This is my example, it's probably not a good example but this is my example. I have more than plenty of CV Battles you can reference to see what I am talking about. You are not completely at the will of waypoints but you have to be willing to make those fast adjustments and willing to return to your ship to set a speed or change a direction and fly your plane as fast as you can. Up until after the CV Update of last year, I never had issues with waypoints.

To simplify it:

1. Set way points
  2. Set speed
  3. Fly plane
  4. In the map, move you way point if you want to stay at your current speed
  5. In the map, set up a new way point if you want to go full speed
  • Cool 1

Sign in to follow this